What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1974 #20. Fire (22 Viewers)

timschochet

Footballguy
100. “This Town AIn’t Big Enough For The Both Of Us”- Sparks
99. “Billy, Don’t Be A Hero”- Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods
98. “Already Gone” Eagles
97. “Whatever Gets You Through The Night” John Lennon
96. “Oh Very Young” Cat Stevens
95. “You Angel You” Bob Dylan
94. “Roll On Down The Highway” Bachman Turner Overdrive
93. “Dance With Me” Orleans
92. “Court and Spark” Joni Mitchell
91. “I Can Help” Billy Swan
90. “Can’t Gst It Out Of My Head” Electric Light Orchestra
89. “The Entertainer” Marvin Hamlisch
88. “Then Came You” Dionne Warwick & The Spinners
87. “My Eyes Adored You” Frankie Valli
86. “Dark Horse” George Harrison
85. “Brighton Rock” Queen
84. “Longfellow Serenade” Neil Diamond
83. “Laughter In the Rain” Neil Sedaka
82. “Ol’ 55” Eagles
81. “Dreamer” Supertramp
80. “Long Live Rock” The Who
79. “Magic” Pilot
78. “#9 Dream” John Lennon
77. “Come Monday” Jimmy Buffett
76. “Must Of Got Lost” J. Geils Band
75. “Lonely People” America
74. “The Night Chicago Died” Paper Lace
73. “Some Kind of Wonderful” Grand Funk Railroad
72. “Forever Young” Bob Dylan
71. “It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll (But I Like It)” The Rolling Stones
70. “She Knows” Thin Lizzy
69. “You’re My First, My Last, My Everything” Barry White
68. “Solace” Marvin Hamlisch
67. “Poetry Man” Phoebe Snow
66. “Lovin’ You” Minnie Riperton
65. “I Shot the Sheriff” Eric Clapton
64. “Fox On The Run” Sweet
63. “I’ve Got the Music In Me” Kiki Dee Band
62. “When Will I Be Loved” Linda Ronstadt
61. “I Honestly Love You” Olivia Newton-John
60. “Same Old Song and Dance” Aerosmith
59. “Tin Man” America
58. “Shame, Shame, Shame” Shirley & Company
57. “Pretzel Logic” Steely Dan
56. “Pure and Easy” The Who
55. “Can’t Get Enough” Bad Company
54. “Jackie Blue” Ozark Mountain Daredevils
53. “Late for the Sky” Jackson Browne
52. “The Air That I Breathe” The Hollies
51. “Mighty Mighty” Earth, Wind & Fire
50. “Best Of My Love” Eagles
49. “Waterloo” ABBA
48. “Roll Away the Stone” Mott The Hoople
47. “Working Man” Rush
46. “Can’t Get Enough of Your Love, Babe” Barry White
45. “1984” David Bowie
44. “Pick Up the Pieces” Average White Band
43. “Call Me The Breeze” Lynyrd Skynyrd
42. “Annie’s Song” John Denver
41. “Bungle In the Jungle” Jethro Tull
40. “Autobahn” Kraftwerk
39. “Rednecks” Randy Newman
38. “The ***** Is Back” Elton John
37. “Now I’m Here” Queen
36. “Love Hurts” Nazareth
35. “Carefree Highway” Gordon Lightfoot
34. “A Pirate Looks At Forty” Jimmy Buffett
33. “How Long” Ace
32. “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” The Rolling Stones
31. “I Will Always Love You” Dolly Parton
30. “You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet” Bachman Turner Overdrive
29. “Boogie On Reggae Woman” Stevie Wonder
28. “Rikki Don’t Lose That Number” Steely Dan
27. “The Ballad of Curtis Loew” Lynyrd Skynyrd
26. “Kung Fu Fighting” Carl Douglas
25. “Bad Company” Bad Company
24. “Help Me” Joni Mitchell
23. “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me” Elton John
22. “Sundown” Gordon Lightfoot
21. “You Are So Beautiful” Joe Cocker
20. “Fire” The Ohio Players

Last edited:
How much british stuff is gonna be in it? Thats peak Glam
I count about 27. But not all are glam though.

Get ready for a lot of classic r and b.
Ok. Now.
Will any of the following artists be included?
The Wombles, Mud, The Glitter Band, Gary Glitter, Albin Stardust, The Sweet, Bay City Rollers, Paper Lace, The Rubettes, David Essex, Roxy Music, Suzi Quatro, Slade and Sparks

Ok. Now.
The Wombles, Mud, The Glitter Band, Gary Glitter, Albin Stardust, The Sweet, Bay City Rollers, Paper Lace, The Rubettes, David Essex, Roxy Music, Suzi Quatro, Slade and Sparks
I would think a few of these made the cut, sure. Perhaps right off the bat…

Ok. Now.
I would think a few of these made the cut, sure. Perhaps right off the bat…
Most top 10 entries n the UK top 10 in 1974

EntriesArtistWeeks
Alvin Stardust [M]10Bay City Rollers17
Gary Glitter [M]18
Mud17
Slade [M]16
The Wombles [N]13
The Glitter Band9Leo Sayer [O]14
Roy Wood [M]9
The Stylistics11

100. Sparks “This Town AIn’t Big Enough For The Both of Us (from Kimono My House)

Raise your hand if you listened to music in 1974 and were aware of this band. Myself I never heard of them until the 1980s and “Cool Places” (and only then because of Jane Weidlin). I had no idea they were from Pacific Palisades, and moved to England, and became hugely influential to a host of British bands, especially this album.

The song chosen got virtually no radio play in the US but was a huge hit in England. The falsetto vocals are distinctive. I first heard this tune, and the album, about ten years ago; I quite enjoy it.

100. Sparks “This Town AIn’t Big Enough For The Both of Us (from Kimono My House)

Raise your hand if you listened to music in 1974 and were aware of this band. Myself I never heard of them until the 1980s and “Cool Places” (and only then because of Jane Weidlin). I had no idea they were from Pacific Palisades, and moved to England, and became hugely influential to a host of British bands, especially this album.

The song chosen got virtually no radio play in the US but was a huge hit in England. The falsetto vocals are distinctive. I first heard this tune, and the album, about ten years ago; I quite enjoy it.
I knew nothing of this brother group until last year when I stumbled on this documentary on netflix. I thought it was a spoof for awhile until I went to google to find out these were real people and a real group. Interesting in an avante garde way but their music is awful to my ear. I guess I'm not hip or smart enough to understand their genius. They sound and look schticky to me. Can't believe they were as successful and revered as they became.

Valley Girl was my introduction to Sparks . A different album by them in 74 has a great cover. Sparks had great songs and just as many clunkers Fun band

I knew nothing of this brother group until last year when I stumbled on this documentary on netflix. I thought it was a spoof for awhile until I went to google to find out these were real people and a real group. Interesting in an avante garde way but their music is awful to my ear. I guess I'm not hip or smart enough to understand their genius. They sound and look schticky to me. Can't believe they were as successful and revered as they became.
Didn't know about that documentary - have to check it out.

Like Tim, I didn't know about them until "Cool Places" came out and then the song "Angst In My Pants" from the Valley Girl soundtrack. They're a quirky band to say the least (the video for I Predict as another example), especially the older brother Ron. Kind of Tubes-like I guess in their avant-garde nature. Can't say I've been able to get into their music much, but they've obviously wielded huge influence in the music community.

In any case, a quality tune to kick us off here.

99. Bo Donaldson & The Haywoods- “Billy, Don’t Be A Hero” (released as a single)

The original tune was by Paper Lace (more about them a little later on) but the version that most people know is by Bo. Nice pleasant 70s cheese here.

99. Bo Donaldson & The Haywoods- “Billy, Don’t Be A Hero” (released as a single)

The original tune was by Paper Lace (more about them a little later on) but the version that most people know is by Bo. Nice pleasant 70s cheese here.
It wasn't so pleasant in school if you were the namesake. I bought the record, though.

Sparks are fun, weird and way ahead of their time.
Out of the brothers, Non vocalist Ron Mael would get slaughtered with his hitler moustache today.
Interestingly they did a version of this song with Faith No More in the 90s that was a minor hit in Australia in 1997

This depends on where you were.
The Bo Donaldson version went to #1 in the US, Canada and was a hit in Latin America and Japan
The Paper Lace version went to #1 in the UK, Australia and was a hit in NZ and Europe.
I prefer the Paper Lace version, but both get slaughtered by music journos

98. Eagles “Already Gone” (from On The Border)

Probably my least favorite of the early Eagles hits. Not that it’s bad or anything, but for me it just doesn’t really go anywhere: There will be a few songs like this on the lower part of this list: tunes that I felt I needed to include, none of them particularly awful, but not especially spectacular either.

Eagles have a couple more appearances here and I think they do much better later on.

Probably my least favorite of the early Eagles hits. Not that it’s bad or anything, but for me it just doesn’t really go anywhere: There will be a few songs like this on the lower part of this list: tunes that I felt I needed to include, none of them particularly awful, but not especially spectacular either.

Eagles have a couple more appearances here and I think they do much better later on.
I like the opening riff and Felder’s solo here.

There is some anxiety in that song that really turns me off.

After a particularly bad relationship with a girl that lasted over two years in college there was a particularly sunny day that saw me driving along in my car, thrilled to be alive and in the throes of seeing somebody new—somebody who laughed a lot, enjoyed life, and was sweet and kind. I popped in a cassette of punk rock cover songs and other music I'd taped off a 7" compilation (four songs on it). As "Already Gone" filled the air around me, I just thought about how I was so happy not to be dating that other girl any longer and I reveled in the song for as long as I could.

Whooo-hoooo-hoooo-hooo
whooo-hoo-hoo

After a particularly bad relationship with a girl that lasted over two years in college there was a particularly sunny day that saw me driving along in my car, thrilled to be alive and in the throes of seeing somebody new—somebody who laughed a lot, enjoyed life, and was sweet and kind. I popped in a cassette of punk rock cover songs and other music I'd taped off a 7" compilation (four songs on it). As "Already Gone" filled the air around me, I just thought about how I was so happy not to be dating that other girl any longer and I reveled in the song for as long as I could.

Whooo-hoooo-hoooo-hooo
whooo-hoo-hoo
Eating lunch all by yourself is sometimes a good thing.

I like the opening riff and Felder’s solo here.
Right? I mean, the guitar makes it. If anyone is listening to Eagles for lyrics, they will be sorely disappointed.

This depends on where you were.
The Bo Donaldson version went to #1 in the US, Canada and was a hit in Latin America and Japan
The Paper Lace version went to #1 in the UK, Australia and was a hit in NZ and Europe.
I prefer the Paper Lace version, but both get slaughtered by music journos
I grew up in Canada and remember the version by Paper Lace. I haven't heard the Bo Donaldson version before.

I've tried with them and I can't. I do kind of like Cool Places, though.

It's fine. Especially as a car radio song, as RA alluded to. The album was the first sense that they were becoming formulaic, though. The first two albums are their peak to my ears.

The original tune was by Paper Lace (more about them a little later on) but the version that most people know is by Bo. Nice pleasant 70s cheese here.I
You sent me down a mini rabbit only to find out that 3 of my songs that should never be played again will be on this list. Exhibit #1.

Last edited:

The original tune was by Paper Lace (more about them a little later on) but the version that most people know is by Bo. Nice pleasant 70s cheese here.I
You sent me down a mini rabbit who only to find out that 3 of my songs that should never be played again will be on this list. Exhibit #1.
I can think of one of them. It's on my Mt Rushmore of "Worst Records To Ever Hit #1". I've already prepared myself to get banned when Tim posts it.

97. John Lennon “Whatever Gets You Through The Night” (from Walls and Bridges)

The link is to a live version from an EltonJohn concert (Elton actually played keyboards on the original recording) which I like better than the original. I could do without the constant shots of Yoko though.
Like “Already Gone” there is nothing wrong with this tune. Like “Already Gone” it’s a fun song that’s never been my favorite.

96. Cat Stevens “Oh Very Young” (from Buddha and the Chocolate Box)

“Oh Very Young” was one of the last of Cat Stevens’ hits. The early 70s singer songwriter era was ending in 1974, to be replaced by more electronic music and disco. It was great while it lasted. IMO “Oh Very Young” is oh very good but not quite at the level of the stuff on his previous two albums which are pop magnificence.

“Oh Very Young” was one of the last of Cat Stevens’ hits. The early 70s singer songwriter era was ending in 1974, to be replaced by more electronic music and disco. It was great while it lasted. IMO “Oh Very Young” is oh very good but not quite at the level of the stuff on his previous two albums which are pop magnificence.

I won't bash the song, because there has been/will be some absolute atrocities as we get through the list, but Stevens is on my Mt. Rushmore of "guys I can't stand to listen to" along with Neil Young, Dylan, and (well, it depends on the day, but maybe Bruce because it seems to "be in"). This is sad because like the others, I think he was lyrically gifted.

I am in the city of Chicago right now, sightseeing, and I am hanging out at Kingston Mines, one of the most famous blues clubs in the city, and a place I’ve wanted to visit my whole life. The guy is playing a song that will show up a little later on this list.

Congrats! Not only being on your greatest 1974 song list but also consistently making many critics, fans, and experts lists of The Worst Hit Songs of the 70s.

Congrats! Not only being on your greatest 1974 song list but also consistently making many critics, fans, and experts lists of The Worst Hit Songs of the 70s.
Don’t be a hater. Billy’s story moves me even now.

Good burn. Its at #99. Not #7
The day i enjoy an experts list of music is the day i drown in a pool of my own blood, roman style.
This song reminds me of my youth, the Paper Lace version anyway, and brings back good memories, so there.

Instead of pissing on the parade, maybe relax, chill out, take your clothes off and enjoy yourself for once. Its liberating.

Good burn. Its at #99. Not #7
The day i enjoy an experts list of music is the day i drown in a pool of my own blood, roman style.
This song reminds me of my youth, the Paper Lace version anyway, and brings back good memories, so there.

Instead of pissing on the parade, maybe relax, chill out, take your clothes off and enjoy yourself for once. Its liberating.
Well said. It was 50 years ago. Reminds me of being a young child too.

97. John Lennon “Whatever Gets You Through The Night” (from Walls and Bridges)

The link is to a live version from an EltonJohn concert (Elton actually played keyboards on the original recording) which I like better than the original. I could do without the constant shots of Yoko though.
Like “Already Gone” there is nothing wrong with this tune. Like “Already Gone” it’s a fun song that’s never been my favorite.
This is one of the few times after about 1965 that John Lennon sounds like he's having fun on a record.

The original tune was by Paper Lace (more about them a little later on) but the version that most people know is by Bo. Nice pleasant

70s cheese here.
My wife loves this song. I, for one, care less for it

Agree with tim that this is my least-favorite of Cat's radio hits. The title just seems off to me and the song is a little too twee for my taste.

Take that comment from me with a metric ton of sand, though, as I adored the dumbest rock band in the world during this time.

95. Bob Dylan “You Angel You” (from Planet Waves)

Outside of the magnificent Blood On The Tracks, Dylan’s 70s output was pretty hit and miss. But this has always been one of my favorites. Love the guitar by Robbie Robertson.

Users who are viewing this thread