What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (1 Viewer)

New-to-me covers from #8 that I very much enjoyed:

When I Paint My Masterpiece - Emmylou Harris (Robert Zimmerman) -- Doesn't break any new ground, but hits all the right spots like the original and The Band's version.
Basin Street Blues – Dr. John (Louis Armstrong) -- It's always nice to hear Dr. John doing Dr. John things.
Heart of Glass - Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox (Blondie) -- They turned it into a torch song! Brilliant.
Crosseyed and Painless - Angelique Kidjo (Talking Heads) -- Brings new depths to this always richly rewarding song.
Highway Star – Chickenfoot (Deep Purple) -- Satriani is just :eek: here.
Cortez the Killer - Dave Matthews Band (Neil Young) -- I figured it would be good when they announced Warren Haynes would be joining them. I used Gov't Mule's cover as my stand-in for Neil on the worldwide countdown #1s Spotify playlist.
Ring of Fire - Sleepy LaBeef (Anita Carter) -- Lots of verve and vigor here.
A Whiter Shade of Pale - Annie Lennox (Procol Harum) -- It's pretty unremarkable until Lennox starts singing.
Ooh La La - Silkworm (Faces) -- More grind than grunge, but it's a good reinterpretation, particularly on the chorus vocals.

New-to-me covers from #8 that I very much enjoyed:

When I Paint My Masterpiece - Emmylou Harris (Robert Zimmerman) -- Doesn't break any new ground, but hits all the right spots like the original and The Band's version.
Big miss for me not including The Band's version. I know that's a Zimm song but it just feels like it's The Band. That's maybe my 2nd or 3rd favorite song by The Band.

Covers from #8 that I know and like and have not previously discussed in this thread:

Devil with a Blue Dress On - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels (Shorty Long) -- I didn't know this was a cover*. Regardless, I'm sure this version is the one Springsteen based his cover off of.
Hotel California - Gipsy Kings (The Eagles) -- A fun reinvention.
No Depression - Uncle Tupelo (The Carter Family) -- Pretty much sums up the ethos of the whole alt-country movement.
Fast Car - Luke Combs (Tracy Chapman) -- It was nice to see Chapman back in the spotlight when this hit.
Cities - Phish (Talking Heads) -- Very different from the original, but equally grooving. If David Byrne took downers to "take the edge off," maybe the Heads' version would have sounded more like this. :laugh:
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - George Thorogood and the Destroyers (John Lee Hooker, Amos Milburn) -- This was Thorogood's radio breakthrough, at least in Philly. The second song I ever heard from him was a cover of a song that has already appeared on this countdown in a different version.
Voodoo Chile - Angelique Kidjo (Jimi Hendrix Experience) -- Only known because DrIan took this in the worldwide countdown.

* -- I did know the "Good Golly Miss Molly" part was a cover, obviously.
掙脫 (“Dreams”) - Faye Wong (Cranberries) x2 -- I realize I have heard this before. JML took it in the worldwide countdown.
Also in Chungking Express ...which you may really like or have no clue what I am talking about lol
Never seen it.
Faye is one of the stars. Great movie. It's about the Mamas and the Papas, canned pineapple, May 1st, pixie dream girls and drug smuggling.
Did this come out in the '90s, not long after Pulp Fiction? Sounds like the kind of plot/features of the flood of PF-inspired movies that followed in its wake.
It absolutely came out in the 90s and Tarantino actually was a big fan and urged American audiences to watch it. He is a big champion of it. It came out before Pulp Fiction in 94 though so it's not at all a ripoff. Just a foreign director kind of doing something sort of similar at the same moment. This movie has a level of cute and romantic that QT never does.
There is no doubt that Tarantinos recommendation was a key reason many people like me saw it.
Chungking Express
Wong Kar-wai made Chungking Express during a two-month break from the editing of his wuxia film Ashes of Time. He said: "While I had nothing to do, I decided to make Chungking Express following my instincts," and that: "After the very heavy stuff, heavily emphasized in Ashes of Time, I wanted to make a very light, contemporary movie, but where the characters had the same problems
His throwaway film appeared at number 88 on the Sight and Sound critics' poll of the greatest films of all time.
Faye Wong is THE star of the movie. And utterly adorable

JMLs secret identity:

Thank You for the Music - Lea Salonga (Abba) NOT ON PLAYLIST
Song: first vote
Cover artist: first vote
Original artist: 23 votes – Thank You for the Music (1); Hey Hey Helen (1); I Have a Dream (1); The Winner Takes It All (1); The Day Before You Came (1); Hasta Manana (1); Thank Abba for the Music Medley (1); Summer Night City (1); Eagle (1); Bang en Boomerang (1); Dancing Queen (1); Super Trouper (1); Knowing Me, Knowing You (1); Mamma Mia (1); The Name of the Game (1); Ring Ring (1); Rock Me (1); Does Your Mother Know (1); Angel Eyes (1); Our Last Summer (1); When All Is Said and Done (1); Waterloo (1); Voulez Vous (1)
I didn't have time to listen to this one before I had to run out, but it's nice too. FYI the link provided is bad. This link works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2swE1WmyWE

You guys might want to watch Iowa vs. Holy Cross, not for Caitlin but for the hottie Holy Cross coach.
What channel? It's halftime for the NCSU girls on ESPNU.
Nevermind, I forgot about our majority audience here.

Yeah, sorry. I might be forgetting someone but don't believe I've ever seen a good-looking male basketball coach.
Thinking back, I think Rick Barnes was really cute back in his early coaching days. Him in college. This is him last year at age 68.

Covers from #8 that I know and like and have not previously discussed in this thread:

Devil with a Blue Dress On - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels (Shorty Long) -- I didn't know this was a cover*. Regardless, I'm sure this version is the one Springsteen based his cover off of.
Hotel California - Gipsy Kings (The Eagles) -- A fun reinvention.
No Depression - Uncle Tupelo (The Carter Family) -- Pretty much sums up the ethos of the whole alt-country movement.
Fast Car - Luke Combs (Tracy Chapman) -- It was nice to see Chapman back in the spotlight when this hit.
Cities - Phish (Talking Heads) -- Very different from the original, but equally grooving. If David Byrne took downers to "take the edge off," maybe the Heads' version would have sounded more like this. :laugh:
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - George Thorogood and the Destroyers (John Lee Hooker, Amos Milburn) -- This was Thorogood's radio breakthrough, at least in Philly. The second song I ever heard from him was a cover of a song that has already appeared on this countdown in a different version.
Voodoo Chile - Angelique Kidjo (Jimi Hendrix Experience) -- Only known because DrIan took this in the worldwide countdown.

* -- I did know the "Good Golly Miss Molly" part was a cover, obviously.
掙脫 (“Dreams”) - Faye Wong (Cranberries) x2 -- I realize I have heard this before. JML took it in the worldwide countdown.
Yes. I took it very high indeed and put it at #4 from memory.
Im just astounded that @Don Quixote a) ranked it and b) in the exact same spot
I’ve been busy with family celebrating birthday for my son today, so haven’t had chance to post. But remember you ranking it pretty high there and pretty cool that we both ranked it at same spot. Ranked The Cranberries original pretty high in my British Islands list.

Own the Criterion collection on The World of Wong Kar Wai (I think 80s helped convince me to pull the trigger on that one), and love Chunking Express.

Last edited:
JMLs secret identity:

Thank You for the Music - Lea Salonga (Abba) NOT ON PLAYLIST
Song: first vote
Cover artist: first vote
Original artist: 23 votes – Thank You for the Music (1); Hey Hey Helen (1); I Have a Dream (1); The Winner Takes It All (1); The Day Before You Came (1); Hasta Manana (1); Thank Abba for the Music Medley (1); Summer Night City (1); Eagle (1); Bang en Boomerang (1); Dancing Queen (1); Super Trouper (1); Knowing Me, Knowing You (1); Mamma Mia (1); The Name of the Game (1); Ring Ring (1); Rock Me (1); Does Your Mother Know (1); Angel Eyes (1); Our Last Summer (1); When All Is Said and Done (1); Waterloo (1); Voulez Vous (1)
I didn't have time to listen to this one before I had to run out, but it's nice too. FYI the link provided is bad. This link works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2swE1WmyWE
Thanks
At the 10 minute mark you can hear her singing it as a 9 year old. I think the adult version is much better lol

You guys might want to watch Iowa vs. Holy Cross, not for Caitlin but for the hottie Holy Cross coach.
What channel? It's halftime for the NCSU girls on ESPNU.
Nevermind, I forgot about our majority audience here.

Yeah, sorry. I might be forgetting someone but don't believe I've ever seen a good-looking male basketball coach.
Thinking back, I think Rick Barnes was really cute back in his early coaching days. Him in college. This is him last year at age 68.

Definitely not my thing. He does look great now for 68, though.

My oldest nephew, Wheezie Baby Sugar Britches, drove to Pittsburgh with a friend to see this State game. I told him he better be wearing what he wore to the ACC Championship game for good luck. He said he is.

Back to music...I realized that there's an artist on today's list that has a potential heavy hitter cover that hasn't been revealed yet. Also a similar situation on the prior list (#9s), too.

Last edited:
WOW!!! The #9s were 100% successful for me. Most were covers I already knew, but those and the new-to-me ones were all really solid. Great playlist top to bottom! A few new-to-me highlights:

Didn't know the original but loved the covers:
"Hey Hey Helen" by Lush
"The Maker" by Dave Matthews Band
"Teardrop" by Jose Gonzalez

Best mashup: Umphrey's McGee :lol:

Just missed:
"I Shall Be Released" by Wilco and Fleet Foxes - mostly loved this but there was one person who was singing so off-key

Where has this been all my life:
"Summertime" by Doc & Merle Watson
"The Metro" by System of a Down

Biggest wows:
"Light My Fire" by the Four Tops
"Redemption Song" by Richard Bona

Users who are viewing this thread