What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (4 Viewers)

Well, it turns out that it’ll be another Double Playlist day. Again, there are worse ways to spend a day off. So we’ll start with the #8s. This was a very strong list, where I knew most of the songs, and not because of them showing up earlier from an artist. Let me get right to some (but not all) of the ones that struck me.

Recognized by title alone: 26
Sounded familiar: 2
Didn’t Know: 5

Selected Favorites:
Devil With a Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels
Bennie and the Jets - Beastie Boys & Biz Markie
Heart of Glass - PMJ. Probably not surprising after picking a different song from PMJ earlier.
Hotel California - Gipsy Kings
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - George Thorogood & The Destroyers

Hadn’t heard before, but liked
Basin St. Blues - Dr. John
Crosseyed and Painless - Angelique Kidjo
Highway Star - Chickenfoot
Ring of Fire - Sleepy LaBeef
A Whiter Shade of Pale - Annie Lennox

Special Shout-out:
Dreams - Faye Wong. Perhaps a very familiar dance now. A version of a song that I know and like, that got selected twice on the same playlist.

Actually, what the heck. Throw one on there for the double shot of “Hazy Shade of Winter”, even though I spotlighted it previously.

Don Quixote:

La Vie en Rose - Edith Piaf (Marianne Michel)
Song: first vote
Cover artist: first vote
Original artist: first vote
This is another one that I discovered was a cover during research. Was originally going for Louis Armstrong’s version of La Vie en Rose, but then in doing some research, realized that even though lyrics were written by Edith Piaf, the first recording/release was by Marianne Michel in 1945 and then recorded by Edith Piaf in 1946. I was not sure how much Louis Armstrong was really a cover anyway (kept the song title and melody, but the English translated lyrics were not equivalent to the French), so decided to just make the switch.

Article

“La Vie en rose”​

Along with the baguette, the Eiffel Tower, and the accordion, “La Vie en rose” is an integral part of the French cultural image. Recorded on October 9, 1946, this ballad is still often heard on radio stations and in French restaurants the world over. Piaf personally wrote the lyrics, and charged her accompanist, the pianist Louiguy, with setting it to music. Disappointed with the resulting arrangement, she kept it in a drawer and only brought it out again to entrust it to her friend, the singer Marianne Michel, who was the first to sing it in the cabarets of Paris. The song became so popular that Piaf decided to record it herself, leading to the success it enjoys today. Many others have since tried their hand at the iconic ballad, from Yves Montand (Piaf’s partner at the time) to Louis Armstrong, who recorded an English version of the song on June 26, 1950 in New York with Sy Oliver and his orchestra (at the same time as he recorded “C’est si bon”). The lyrics for Armstrong’s version were written by Mack David.

25 Points - Chiquitita - Sinead O’Connor (Abba)
Original

The structure of this song shouldnt work on paper, but it does and magnificently so.
It is heavily influenced by the peruvian song El Condor Paso most famously done by Simon and Garfunkel.
It was a rare Abba song at the time in the UK to stop at #2, held off the top spot by Heart of Glass by Blondie.
It reached #29 in the US.
The majestic 40 second fade out…li could listen to for hours. The change of pace from verse to chorus is just pure class

Cover

Abba and especially Agnetha do sad so well, but might have met their match with Sinead here.
In hindsight she has been given a lot of benefit of the doubt she wasnt afforded when alive.
Some people have truly horrific upbringings that are impossible to overcome and try as one might I have nothing but empathy for her moments of ugliness, cruelty and bitterness she released.
This cover is so honest and hearftfelt it adds a new layer of heartache. O’Connor recorded this as a tribute to the victims of the horrific Omagh bombings and the sadness is reflected in that.
That said the music is the issue here. The wonderful structure, build up and close are not here.

Abba - 18 - Cover 7.

Vocally its a draw. But musically and structurally the original craps all over the Sinead version.Shame as she does a beautiful job of it.

Next up a true female music superstar, in the news recently, has a stab at a basically little known Abba song. This singer worked so well restrained, as is the case here. I was pleasantly surprised and its a case where the cover is infinitely better.

25 Points - Always on My Mind - Pet Shop Boys (Brenda Lee)
Original

Everyone thinks its an Elvis song or a Willie Nelson song. Obviously not. When the Pet Shop Boys released their cover, people called it sacrilege on [insert Nelson or Presley name here] original. All takes are different and thats a great thing. As for the original take, it may be the weakest of the lot. But as the song is a killer, even thats not a bad thing. Just the music sounds like it was recorded in a tin drum and the vocals are all over the shop. The restrained structure is a bonus though

Cover

Already chosen multiple times, the Pet Shop Boys do some wonderful covers and I should have in hindsight chosen one of their more obscure covers. They also do an awful cover of U2’s Where the Streets Have No Name where their cynical take is downright nasty. Attributing the band as puritanical hateful christians, which is so far from the truth its ridiculous. Bono has been ultra diplomatic in his view on their cover. Following the release of the single, U2 joked, "What have we done to deserve this?" Tennant mentioned to The People in 2002 that he had "managed at long last to patch things up with Bono" after meeting him at one of Elton John's homes in the south of France.

Anyway, their take on Always on My Mind keeps the melancholy but adds a wicked dance beat.

Originals 9 - Covers 16. Cover easily beats the original here

Next up we have seen it already. Only once I think. Awhile ago. Its brilliant. Shouldnt work, but it does.

Always in ketchup/catsup mode...

I feel like with the #8s and especially the #7s, while we're still getting "chalk," we're also creeping into some of those deep favorites that people have that might speak so loudly to them that they're way up on the lists. That makes it all really fun to me. My own #8 and #7 show both sides of this coin, with the Nirvana "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" - a crowd favorite - and Elliott Smith's "I Figured You Out" - a song, cover artist, and original artist that appears on no one else's list but could easily have made my top five.

Anyway, as to the #8s:

Doing their thing really well:
Dave Matthews - Cortez the Killer
Cities - Phish

Doing their thing, which also happens to be my thing, really well:
Dr. John - Basin Street Blues
Ca Plane Pour Moi - Sonic Youth
No Depression - Uncle Tupelo

Doing a thing really well that's not my thing nor possibly anyone else's and totally different from and better than the original and holy hell does that work for me:
Gipsy Kings - Hotel California
Angelique Kidjo - Crosseyed and Painless AND Voodoo Child

Special shout-out: Annie Lennox cover of "A Whiter Shade of Pale." I loved her vocal on this so much but found myself distracted by the background music that was really subpar. Could we take up a collection to have a new mix of this with that vocal and real musicians? I enjoyed this a lot in any case but wanted it to be even better.

Onto the #7s. This playlist was less familiar than the #8s. Then again, that one was very likely a high water mark for the “recognized” category.. For this countdown, if not all the countdowns to date. That aside, this was another playlist where I had (or at least decided >.>) to make some tough choices.

Recognized by title alone: 21
Sounded familiar: 3
Didn’t Know: 10
(mine - 1)

Selected Favorites:
La Vie en rose - Edith Piaf. Definitely would’ve never thought of this as a “cover”.
Luck Be A Lady - Frank Sinatra. Should’ve figured it was a cover, but always think of it as Frank’s.
(I’m Not Your) Stepping Stone - The Monkees
Ode to a Black Man - The Dirtbombs. A very tough cut for my list.
Gallows Pole - Page/Plant

Hadn’t heard before, but liked
Like a Hurricane - Roxy Music
Jack-a-Roe - Grateful Dead
She’s Not There - Santana
California Dreaming - Lee Moses
50 Ways To Leave Your Lover - Lyle Lovett

Special Shout-out:
The Passenger - Siouxsie & The Banshees. I know the original, and this version sounds familiar enough, but I can't be fully sure. Mostly though, I just also wanted to include this.

OH tally:

OH cover songs I have heard of: 3
OH original songs I have heard of: 13
OH cover artists I have heard of: 17
OH original artists I have heard of: 22

Neil Young? Who's that? Oh ... yeah.

Frankly, I saw Low open for Wilco and thought they were boring, so I have never investigated them any deeper. We'll see how this goes.

Covers from #7 that I know and like and have not previously discussed in this thread:

One More Cup of Coffee - The White Stripes (Robert Zimmerman) -- This song, and the way the original is performed, has a pathos to it that is very well suited to Jack White.
La Vie en Rose - Edith Piaf (Marianne Michel) -- I had no idea this was a cover, part 1.
Just A Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody - David Lee Roth (Louis Prima) -- It's so hammy, and at the time I wanted to hear Dave rock out like he did with VH, but in my middle age I can appreciate how fun this is.
Luck Be a Lady - Frank Sinatra (Robert Alda) -- I had no idea this was a cover, part 2. Lots of pre-rock material in this round, which I know much less about.
Cause We've Ended as Lovers (Live) - Jeff Beck (Stevie Wonder) -- Beck is a "technician," yes, but his guitar is so damn expressive here.
My Back Pages - The Byrds (Bob Dylan) -- How has this not shown up yet? Of the many Dylan covers they did, this one may be the best, as it soars where Dylan's original kind of sits there. One of the all-star numbers at Dylan's 30th anniversary concert was this song, and it rightly used the Byrds' version as the template.
(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone – The Monkees (Paul Revere and the Raiders) -- I had no idea this was a cover, part 3. But I'm not surprised, since the Monkees didn't write their own material at first.
Breadfan – Metallica (Budgie) -- I only know this because it was posted in a previous thread on this board.
Sinnerman - Nina Simone (Traditional) -- I had no idea this was a cover, part 4. I'd never heard it until it was taken in the US countdown.
Gallows Pole - Page/Plant (Traditional) -- I love both this version and Zeppelin's, the latter of which I ranked #25 in Anarchy's Zep countdown. Few performances build intensity better than either version.
Stay - Jackson Browne (Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs) -- Of course it's most effective when paired with The Load Out, as it is on the album, but since the former is an original, we have to use Stay by itself. Browne, Lindley and co. repurpose it to suit their strengths.
Trapped - Bruce Springsteen (Jimmy Cliff) -- One of my favorite Springsteen performances because it's intense and emotional without getting too BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCE about it.

Pip’s Invitation:

Like a Hurricane – Roxy Music (Neil Young)

Roxy Music are about the last "rock" band you would expect to cover Neil. Smooth, suave, quirky and highly technically proficient, they are pretty much everything Neil and Crazy Horse aren't. But because of that, they are able to completely recast one of Neil's epic guitar warhorses into something that mesmerizes you and bowls you over in an equally great but completely different way from the original. It perhaps helps that the original has a Stringman synthesizer in it, and the swirling sounds of that is what Roxy's version builds upon -- I don't know that they could have worked similar magic with Cortez the Killer or Down by the River. With the common ground established, Roxy is able to layer what they do best over it. Heavy lifting is done by the rhythm section of bassist Allen Spenner, drummer Andy Newmark and percussionist Jimmy Maelen, who give the song a swing and a flexibility that Crazy Horse doesn't have (by design). Bryan Ferry gives a great spin on the combination dreaminess and dread of Neil's vocal, never losing either but adding his own verve to the proceedings. Andy Mackay's saxophone solo is nice (krista may disagree).

But the real star of the show is lead guitarist Phil Manzanera. He is a crisp, clean and elegant player, pretty much the opposite of Neil's style. And the final two minutes of the performance, in which Manzanera's soloing dominates the proceedings, is why this cover ranks so highly on my list. He doesn't try to sound like Neil and probably couldn't if he wanted to. Instead, he delivers searing, highly charged solos in his own style, and because the spirit is right, they work just as well as Neil's do in his version. It's the capper to a performance that seems like a mismatch but is actually perfect.

Roxy Music first performed Hurricane on their 1982 tour (the final one of their original run), and released a 4-song EP from it called The High Road which included Like a Hurricane as well as their version of Jealous Guy, which showed up in this countdown earlier. In 1990, The High Road EP's tracks were combined with the songs from the longer High Road videocassette and re-released under the name Heart Still Beating. Hurricane has subsequently shown up in Ferry's solo sets between 2011 and 2020 and on Roxy's 2011 reunion tour (but not their 50th anniversary tour of 2022).

I ranked the original #17 in my Neil countdown, only because he has 16 songs I like even better. Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6qzeHSq7bk

At #6, a song which (wrongly) wasn't taken very seriously when the original was released got a stunning remake that forced even the most doctrinaire of rock critics to take notice.

Just A Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody - David Lee Roth (Louis Prima) -- It's so hammy, and at the time I wanted to hear Dave rock out like he did with VH, but in my middle age I can appreciate how fun this is.
I think the video is much better than the cover. No one had more pure unadulterated fun than DLR did in the '70s/'80s.

He’s got…charasma.

Last edited:
But the real star of the show is lead guitarist Phil Manzanera. He is a crisp, clean and elegant player, pretty much the opposite of Neil's style. And the final two minutes of the performance, in which Manzanera's soloing dominates the proceedings, is why this cover ranks so highly on my list. He doesn't try to sound like Neil and probably couldn't if he wanted to. Instead, he delivers searing, highly charged solos in his own style, and because the spirit is right, they work just as well as Neil's do in his version. It's the capper to a performance that seems like a mismatch but is actually perfect.
Manzanera is awesome. His more recent work playing alongside David Gilmour on David’s solo tours is fantastic as well.

Manzanera is awesome. His more recent work playing alongside David Gilmour on David’s solo tours is fantastic as well.
Indeed. Both roles show how fantastic he is at both lead and rhythm guitar.

Funny thing is, he started out as Roxy Music’s roadie, but became a member of the band when their original guitarist left before recording the first album.

Stay - Jackson Browne (Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs) -- Of course it's most effective when paired with The Load Out, as it is on the album, but since the former is an original, we have to use Stay by itself. Browne, Lindley and co. repurpose it to suit their strengths.

Seems weird in retrospect, but Browne's "Stay" was , in fact, released as a stand-alone single in 1977 and was a #20 Billboard hit. As we know, classic-rock radio virtually never played or plays "Stay" without "The Load-Out" (which together served as a nice 9:06 meal/bathroom break for pre-digital DJs).

I bought my copy of Running on Empty in college. For over 35 years -- until a 2016 Tim-draft[TM] -- I just thought "Dam, Jackson Browne has a sweet falsetto going!" I was probably the last in this crew to learn that multi-instrumentalist David Lindley was actually the one channeling Maurice Williams -- who did, in fact, have a sweet falsetto. Heck, he still might -- Williams makes 86 next month, and was still performing as recently as 2010.

Maurice Williams and The Zodiacs, "Stay" (YouTube)(Spotify)

I think the video is much better than the cover. No one had more pure unadulterated fun than DLR did in the '70s/'80s.

He’s got…charasma.

Something kind of amazing about David Lee Roth is that hard rock is probably his fourth or fifth favorite genre of music, despite being one of the most prominent faces of hard rock for at least a decade. DLR always had the soul of a blues man, nourished himself on 60s pop, LOVES his big-band tunes, and then found himself in bluegrass for a spell. Much respect for his explorations as an artist.

- Mavis and her Chicagoan buddy Jeff Tweedy collaborate on her great cover of "Can You Get To That." Tweedy and his son play most of the instruments on the album, and Mavis and friends take us to church. I love all the voices together. Tweedy and Mavis have done three albums together, and they know how to bring out the best in each other.
- I - I - I - I - I'm not your stepping stone. The Monkees give a sneak preview of punk in their cover of "(I'm Not Your ) Steppin' Stone." 🐵
- Elliott Smith is like the male version of Mary Lou in his cover of her song "I Figured You Out." He conveys the song perfectly.
- Lyle Lovett does a nice live version of "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover." I love his voice, and the Jessy Dixon Singers sound great backing him up. His band is good, too.
- Low, Dirty Three do an intriguing cover of "Down By The River." Great to relax or escape within youself to.
- Lee Moses slathers "California Dreaming" in soul. I love the arrangement, his voice, the horns, etc. Great version.
- Nina's rendition of "Sinnerman" is a powerhouse.
- That guitar was smoking in Santana's live cover of "She's Not There," and then it came to an abrupt end. 🎸
- Some of my favorite Grateful Dead is when they go folk like in their live cover of "Jack-A-Roe."
- I love Jeff Beck's guitar playing on his live cover "Cause We Ended As Lovers," although the bass player steals his thunder.
- Frank is swinging and singing on his cover of "Luck Be A Lady."
- The White Stripes cover of "One More Cup of Coffee" is terrific. I love that older era sound. It's one of my favorite Dylan songs.
- I dig that dirty sounding harmonica on The Dirtbombs cover of "Ode To A Black Man."
- We have some more dirty sound with ZZ Top outgangstering the gangsters with their dirty blues guitar driven cover of "I Gotsa Get Paid."
- "Dramamine" sounds great by Sun Kil Moon. I especially like the vocals, and the lightness of the music in the background.
- The Byrds always breathe life into their Dylan covers, and their toe tappin' "My Back Pages" is one of those covers.
- Siouxie and the Banshees cover of "The Passenger" is a lot of fun. Love the addition of the horns.
- The arrangement in Bear McCreary's cover of "All Along The Watchtower" is cool. It has a wicked sound about it, which goes great with the lyrics.
- Jackson Browne's live cover of "Stay" is a great album ender on his Running On Empty album. I have some great memories attached to that album.
- Bruce Springsteen's live version of "Trapped" is total Springsteen, and I like it better than the original. Recently Springsteen said he has been singing in pain for some time due to peptic ulcer disease. If he has had peptic ulcer issues his whole career it would explain his facial expressions when he sings, but I don't think that is the case. Get well soon, Bruce.
- Metallica is full force rockin' on their cover of "Breadfan." I know this is weasel's without looking.
- David Lee Roth "the showman" is right at home on his cover of "Just A Gigolo."
- Plant and Page work their mystical magic together in their riveting live cover of "Gallow's Pole."
- Sinead does a great job on her cover of ABBA's "Chiquitita." The lyrics feel deeper sung by her.
- Roxy Music gives "Like A Hurricane" a modern and different sound in their live cover, and it's pretty neat.
- Édith Piaf takes us back in time with her lovely rendition of her own song "La Vie en rose."
- Dave Matthews Band does a sweet sounding live rendition of "Waste."
- Pink sounds fabulous on her live acoustic version of "Me and Bobby McGee." I bet Janis enjoyed it. 🎬

Back to music...I realized that there's an artist on today's list that has a potential heavy hitter cover that hasn't been revealed yet. Also a similar situation on the prior list (#9s), too.

Both of these potential heavy hitters show up for the first time tomorrow. :)

The original artist of one of the two is selected twice tomorrow as coverer and twice as coveree, and three of the covers are entirely new to the countdown.

The #7s were fun, as I'd expected them to be. Only one song didn't make it past my two-minute minimum! Lotsa great stuff.

"Like a Hurricane" by Roxy Music was great for all the reasons stated.

"For the Good Times" by Ray Price and "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" by Jeff Beck were refreshing changes of pace.

I usually skip the covers I already know, but I will stop and listen to "My Back Pages" by the Byrds (or probably by anyone) every time. I was thisclose to choosing the star-studded 30th anniversary version for my own list.

I've probably heard Siouxsie's "The Passenger" before, and I should have remembered it.

I don't know the original of "Ode to a Black Man," but it can't be as good as this, can it?

"California Dreaming" by Les Moses keeps the great elements of the song while making it into what should be a soul classic.

Lyle Lovett was made to sing "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover," and while I could say that about most songs, this one perfectly fits his way to singing with both sorrow and humor. His phrasing kills me on this. No one else should ever sing it again.

Speaking of Lyle, Monday I got my annual tix to see him at Chateau Ste. Michelle winery. :wub:

Even when I'm not around, I'm thinking of y'all. At the end of last week, one of my best friends at work (Jeff) told me his wife had bagged up all her old records and asked him to take them to the dump. Jeff knew I still listened to lots of vinyl, so asked me if I wanted to grab them from the trunk of his car at lunch, all the while warning me that (a) pretty much everything was from the 70s (b) had not been well cared for, and (c) were covered in 40 years worth of basement dust. I went in with low expectations and actually hit the jackpot - kept 120 of the 198 and have spent the last week cleaning them up. It's like a MAD31 Match Game:

The first 7 Chicago records
Every Springsteen record up through and including the Live 75-85 box
Several by Earth, Wind, and Fire and The Ohio Players
Way too much Simon & Garfunkel, James Taylor, and Jim Croce (that my wife made me keep)
A full-on 13 Jimmy Buffet records (no offense, but only kept The Greatest Hits)
A Lou Reed compilation and live album that do not appear to be on Spotify
The famous George Harrison record that everyone was shocked I never heard
And best of all, Billy Joel's entire pre-1989 recorded output

And so much more. I entered them all into DIscogs and the big score was a pristine, never listened to copy of The Raiders of the Lost Ark soundtrack, worth a whopping $17. Not sure what possessed anyone to buy that in the first place.

Given that I've already summoned Uruk-Hai in here with Billy Joel talk, mentioned my work buddy Jeff, and don't feel the need to participate in multiple conversations, I'm just gonna cross-post from the Sports Moments thread:

Kenny freaking Dennard submarining Buck Williams in the 1980 ACC Championship when Buck was about to tip in the game-winner.

Look at this crap It's at 55:33 if the video reloads. No freaking whistle. I'm over it, though.

The same day Jeff gave me the records, we were talking ACC tourney - his daughter is at NC State and Jeff himself graduated from Maryland all the way back in 1980 (sorry old-timers). He brought up the exact play Uruk-Hai linked above, and went on an FFA-worthy rant about "rat-face boy" Krzyzewski, ACC refs, and anti-UM bias. I just kept winding him up more by saying refs miss calls all the time.

Then on Tuesday morning, I saw UH's posts and knew I had to read them verbatim to Jeff at lunch. Of course, that got him all fired up again and he made me pull up the video. He's like - "See! See! You guys thought I was exaggerating like some kind of homer! That's gotta be one of the worst missed calls of all time!!!" Without missing a beat, our other friend casually chimes in, "Tough to make that call with the game on the line." I thought Jeff was gonna spontaneously combust.

NC State men and women are in the Sweet 16, and the men are scheduled for 7:10 est Friday, and the women for 7:30 est Friday. I think it sucks to televise them so near each other when fans like to support both of them.

My parents are avid watchers of both the Wolfpack men and women, and they are upset about the overlapping times. I think I can accommodate their viewing pleasure. I have my grandmother's old TV as a spare, and I told my mom I will put it in their family room/den, and stream the women's game via my computer on to my grandmother's TV. They can watch the games side by side. I think that will work.

My parents are avid watchers of both the Wolfpack men and women, and they are upset about the overlapping times. I think I can accommodate their viewing pleasure. I have my grandmother's old TV as a spare, and I told my mom I will put it in their family room/den, and stream the women's game via my computer on to my grandmother's TV. They can watch the games side by side. I think that will work.

Which TV service do they have? On Youtube TV, I've been watching in Multiview, and the Multiview options allow you to mix men's and women's games. :)

Uh oh, just saw a note from Hawks that he is traveling yesterday/today and won't be able to get to the playlist for a while. After I post, if anyone wants to step in and do the playlist, feel free!

Twenty-Six-Point Selections:
PART ONE:

Uruk-Hai:

Brother Louie – Stories (Hot Chocolate)
Original artist: two votes – Stories (1); Every 1’s a Winner (1)

titusbramble:

All The Young Dudes - David Bowie (Mott The Hoople)
Cover artist: four votes – All the Young Dudes (1); Wild Is the Wind (1); Coming to America (1); See Emily Play (1)

Pip’s Invitation:

Summer Breeze – The Isley Brothers (Seals & Crofts)
Song: two votes – The Isley Brothers
Cover artist: two votes – Summer Breeze (2)
Original artist: two votes – Summer Breeze (2)

Dr. Octopus:

It Ain't Me Babe - Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash (Robert Zimmerman)
Cover artist: first vote for June; Johnny: eight votes – Hurt (3); It Ain’t Me Babe (1); In My Life (1); Girl from the North Country (1); I See a Darkness (1); Rowboat (1)
Original artist: 49 votes – All Along the Watchtower (7); Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (4); Make You Feel My Love (2); I Shall Be Released (2); It Ain’t Me Babe (1); One More Cup of Coffee (1); My Back Pages (1); When I Paint My Masterpiece (1); Tryin’ to Get to Heaven (1); You Got to Serve Somebody (1); Heart of Mine (1); Blowin’ in the Wind (1); Buckets of Rain (1); Girl from the North Country (1); You’re a Big Girl Now (1); A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall (1); This Wheel’s on Fire (1); Mr. Tambourine Man (1); If Not for You (1); Simple Twist of Fate (1); Subterranean Homesick Blues (1); It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (1); Standing in the Doorway (1); Positively Fourth Street (1); Thunder on the Mountain (1); Most of the Time (1); Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again (1); Jokerman (1); Ring Them Bells (1); Hurricane (1); The Man in Me (1); Forever Young (1); Sweetheart Like You (1); Everything Is Broken (1); Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (1); Ballad of a Thin Man (1); If You See Her, Say Hello (1); Mozambique (1)

simey:

Dear Mr. Fantasy – Southern Culture on the Skids (Traffic)
Original artist: Dear Mr. Fantasy (1); The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys (1)

Just Win Baby:

The Sound Of Silence - Disturbed (Simon & Garfunkel)
Song: three votes – Disturbed (4)
Cover artist: three votes – The Sound of Silence (4)
Original artist: 13 votes – The Sound of Silence (4); Hazy Shade of Winter (4); Mrs. Robinson (3); America (2)

Galileo:

Traveling Riverside Blues - Led Zeppelin (Robert Johnson)
Cover artist: four votes – Traveling Riverside Blues (1); Dazed and Confused (1); Babe I’m Gonna Leave You (1); When the Levee Breaks (1)
Original artist: six votes – Crossroads (4); Traveling Riverside Blues (1); Dust My Broom (1)

Don Quixote:

Você - Tim Maia (Eduardo Araújo)

simsarge:

Wayfaring Stranger - Simon Khorolskiy & Chris Rupp (Traditional)
Cover artist: first vote each
Original artist: N/A

Charlie Steiner:

Respect - Aretha Franklin (Otis Redding)
Song: three votes – Aretha Franklin (3)
Cover artist: six votes – Respect (3); Nessun Dorma (1); A Change Is Gonna Come (1); Spanish Harlem (1)
Original artist: five votes – Respect (3); Hard to Handle (2)

JMLs secret identity:

Like an Angel Passing through My Room - Madonna (Abba) NOT ON PLAYLIST
Original artist: 25 votes – Like an Angel Passing through My Room (1); Chiquitita (1); Thank You for the Music (1); Hey Hey Helen (1); I Have a Dream (1); The Winner Takes It All (1); The Day Before You Came (1); Hasta Manana (1); Thank Abba for the Music Medley (1); Summer Night City (1); Eagle (1); Bang en Boomerang (1); Dancing Queen (1); Super Trouper (1); Knowing Me, Knowing You (1); Mamma Mia (1); The Name of the Game (1); Ring Ring (1); Rock Me (1); Does Your Mother Know (1); Angel Eyes (1); Our Last Summer (1); When All Is Said and Done (1); Waterloo (1); Voulez Vous (1)

zamboni:

Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers (Stevie Wonder)
Song: four votes – Red Hot Chili Peppers (4)
Cover artist: four votes – Higher Ground (4)
Original artist: eight votes – Higher Ground (4); Cause We’ve Ended as Lovers (1); Boogie on Reggae Woman (1); Superstition (1); Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You) (1)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Common People - William Shatner (Pulp)
Song: second and third votes today – William Shatner (3)
Cover artist: three votes – Common People (3)
Original artist: three votes – Common People (3)

Ilov80s:

Heartbeats - Jose Gonzalez (The Knife)
Cover artist: two votes – Heartbeats (1); Teardrop (1)

Eephus:

Wild Is the Wind - David Bowie (Johnny Mathis)
Cover artist: four votes – All the Young Dudes (1); Wild Is the Wind (1); Coming to America (1); See Emily Play (1)

The Dreaded Marco:

Ziggy Stardust - Bauhaus (David Bowie)
Song: two votes – Bauhaus (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Ziggy Stardust (2)
Original artist: four votes – Ziggy Stardust (2); The Man Who Sold the World (1); Queen Bitch (1)

New Binky the Doormat:

It's My Life - No Doubt (Talk Talk)
Song: four votes – No Doubt (4)
Cover artist: four votes – It’s My Life (4)
Original artist: four votes – It’s My Life (4)

Andy Dufresne:

Signs – Tesla (Five Man Electrical Band)
Song: two votes – Tesla (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Signs (2)
Original artist: two votes - Signs (2)

Last edited:
Twenty-Six-Point Selections:
PART TWO:

Hawks64:

I Shall Be Released - Eddie Vedder, Jack Johnson, Zach Gill (Bob Dylan)
Cover artist: first vote each
Original artist: 49 votes – All Along the Watchtower (7); Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (4); Make You Feel My Love (2); I Shall Be Released (2); It Ain’t Me Babe (1); One More Cup of Coffee (1); My Back Pages (1); When I Paint My Masterpiece (1); Tryin’ to Get to Heaven (1); You Got to Serve Somebody (1); Heart of Mine (1); Blowin’ in the Wind (1); Buckets of Rain (1); Girl from the North Country (1); You’re a Big Girl Now (1); A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall (1); This Wheel’s on Fire (1); Mr. Tambourine Man (1); If Not for You (1); Simple Twist of Fate (1); Subterranean Homesick Blues (1); It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (1); Standing in the Doorway (1); Positively Fourth Street (1); Thunder on the Mountain (1); Most of the Time (1); Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again (1); Jokerman (1); Ring Them Bells (1); Hurricane (1); The Man in Me (1); Forever Young (1); Sweetheart Like You (1); Everything Is Broken (1); Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (1); Ballad of a Thin Man (1); If You See Her, Say Hello (1); Mozambique (1)

rockaction:

I Fought the Law – The Clash (The Crickets)
Song: three votes – The Clash (3)
Cover artist: three votes - I Fought the Law (3)
Original artist: three votes - I Fought the Law (3)

Scoresman:

Valerie - Amy Winehouse (The Zutons)
Song: two votes – Amy Winehouse (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Valerie (2)
Original artist: two votes – Valerie (2)

Raging weasel:

Oh Well – The Rockets (Fleetwood Mac)
Song: two votes – The Rockets (1); Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (1)
Original artist: five votes – Oh Well (2); Black Magic Woman (1); Landslide (1); The Green Manalishi (With the Two Pronged Crown) (1)

scorchy:

Common People - William Shatner (Pulp)
Song: second and third votes today – William Shatner (3)
Cover artist: three votes – Common People (3)
Original artist: three votes – Common People (3)

Mrs. Rannous:

Blinded By The Light - Manfred Mann's Earth Band (Bruce Springsteen)
Song: three votes – Manfred Mann’s Earth Band (3)
Cover artist: three votes – Blinded by the Light (3)
Original artist: four votes – Blinded by the Light (3); Dancing in the Dark (1)

Mt. Man:

Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World - Israel Kamakawiwo’ole (Judy Garland/Louis Armstrong)
Song: Rainbow: two votes - Israel Kamakawiwo’ole (2)
World: two votes - Israel Kamakawiwo’ole (1); Joey Ramone (1)
Cover artist: two votes – Over the Rainbow (2)
Original artist: Garland: two votes – Over the Rainbow (2)
Armstrong: four votes – What a Wonderful World (2); Basin Street Blues (1); St. James Infirmary (1)

Mister CIA:

Fox on the Run - Tom T Hall (Manfred Mann)
Original artist: two votes – Fox on the Run (1); My Little Red Book (1)

Val Rannous:

Black Magic Woman - Santana (Fleetwood Mac)
Cover artist: three votes – Black Magic Woman (1); She’s Not There (1); Oye Como Va (1)
Original artist: five votes – Oh Well (2); Black Magic Woman (1); Landslide (1); The Green Manalishi (With the Two Pronged Crown) (1)

landrys hat:

My Little Red Book - Love (Manfred Mann)
Original artist: two votes – Fox on the Run (1); My Little Red Book (1)

shuke:

Morning Dew - Grateful Dead (Bonnie Dobson)
Cover artist: eight votes – Morning Dew (1); Jack-A-Roe (1); New Minglewood Blues (1); Turn on Your Love Light (1); Promised Land (1); Not Fade Away (1); Mama Tried (1); Big River (1); Monkey and the Engineer (1)

Doug B:

Money's Too Tight To Mention – Simply Red (The Valentine Brothers)

DrIanMalcolm:

Nessun Dorma - Aretha Franklin (Puccini composition – first release unknown but most notably Luciano Pavarotti)
Cover artist: six votes – Respect (3); Nessun Dorma (1); A Change Is Gonna Come (1); Spanish Harlem (1)
Original artist: N/A

Chaos34:

The Man Who Sold the World - Nirvana (David Bowie)
Cover artist: five votes – Where Did You Sleep Last Night (2); The Man Who Sold the World (1); D-7 (1); Love Buzz (1)
Original artist: four votes – Ziggy Stardust (2); The Man Who Sold the World (1); Queen Bitch (1)

higgins:

And I Love Her - Pat Metheny (Beatles)
Original artist: 30 votes – We Can Work It Out (4); In My Life (3); While My Guitar Gently Weeps (2); Here Comes the Sun (2); Yesterday (2); Come Together (2); And I Love Her (1); Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey (1); A Day in the Life (1); Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (1); She Came in through the Bathroom Window (1); I Am the Walrus (1); Eleanor Rigby (1); Got to Get You into My Life (1); Helter Skelter (1); Drive My Car (1); Dear Prudence (1); Across the Universe (1); She Said She Said (1); I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (1); Let It Be (1)

Oliver Humanzee:

D-7 - Nirvana (The Wipers)
Cover artist: five votes – Where Did You Sleep Last Night (2); The Man Who Sold the World (1); D-7 (1); Love Buzz (1)

krista4:

Everybody’s Talkin’ – Bill Withers (Fred Neil)
Song: two votes – Bill Withers (1); The Seldom Scene (1)
Original artist: two votes – Everybody’s Talkin’ (2)

shuke:

Morning Dew - Grateful Dead (Bonnie Dobson)
Cover artist: eight votes – Morning Dew (1); Jack-A-Roe (1); New Minglewood Blues (1); Turn on Your Love Light (1); Promised Land (1); Not Fade Away (1); Mama Tried (1); Big River (1); Monkey and the Engineer (1)
I was hoping that was going to be the Europe '72 version and you didn't disappoint. (y) Breathtaking performance.

Uruk-Hai:

Brother Louie – Stories (Hot Chocolate)
Original artist: two votes – Stories (1); Every 1’s a Winner (1)
I find it hilarious that a band named Hot Chocolate recorded THIS song. The original isn't as amped-up as the cover and it has a spoken-word section in the middle (& again at the end) that is missing from the cover. The original version always sounded to me like a song War would have done.

The hit version (in America, it got to #1) is more fuzzed-out and the singer sounds like the love child of Robert Plant & Janis Joplin. I can't recall Stories having another hit and I think they were kind of like Looking Glass in that they wanted to be a hard rock band - I may be completely off base on that, though.

Anyway, when this came out it was during my prime Top 40 listening years and I loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread