What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Training Camp Injury Thread, updated 10 AM 9/4 (1 Viewer)

Mark Wimer

Hey Sharks,

Thanks to everyone who helped me keep this post updated through adding to the thread and PM's/emails.

Have fun drafting if you are this week - look for the regular Monday Injury report to start after the week 1 games - this week we'll post the final update to the pre-season injury report.

MW

+Quarterbacks+

Arizona's Kurt Warner missed time last year due to groin and knee injuries, but the team signed him to a new 3-year deal during the off-season. Warner commented about the team's 2006 prospects during June practices, stating "I’m just looking forward to getting in and competing and getting everyone together; offense, defensive, and the line in there so we can just start playing football again.” Warner looked sharp during week 1 of the preseason and played in week 2 - he appears to be good to go for regular season.

Arizona's Matt Leinart popped his non-throwing shoulder out of the socket during Arizona's game vs. Denver. The team is characterizing this injury as a sprain and it doesn't appear to be very serious as of 9/1/06. The MRI confirmed a sprain and Leinart shouldn't have a huge problem due to this injury.

Atlanta's Michael Vick asserts that he is now 100%, after suffering from a nagging right knee injury for most of the 2005 season. Vick reports "My (right) knee was bothering me all year (2005). I never cried about it. I never complained about it. I just tried to do the best I can for the team. Now, I'm 100 percent healthy. I'm where I used to be." Vick tweaked his right hamstring early in training camp, but played in the team's first pre-season contest. He also competed in the second pre-season contest, tossing 5/7 for 59 yards, 1 TD and 1 interception (1/12/0 rushing).

Baltimore's Steve McNair passed a physical before joining the team, and has been fully participating in June/July workouts. He appears to be healthy entering training camp, despite a string of injuries suffered in Tennessee during the last 2 years. He looked sharp in the team's first pre-season game, and followed it up by passing for 14/18 for 148 yards, 0 TDs and 0 interceptions during week 2 of the pre-season.

Buffalo's JP Losman sat out the final 2 games of 2006 due to a shoulder injury, and the new coaching staff has openly announced that he is in a battle for the starting job with Kelly Holcomb, with both players starting even. Even #3 Craig Nall has a shot, and all are to get playing time with the first team during training camp. Holcomb missed some time last year due to a concussion - both Losman and Holcomb are expected to be fine for the start of training camp. The QB situation is very murky in Buffalo as of late July. Nall injured his left hamstring early in training camp, cutting down on his chances to emerge on top. As of mid August, Losman appears to be in the driver's seat at his position.

Chicago's Brian Griese comes into town after starting 2005 strong, but going down to two torn ligaments (ACL, MCL) in his left knee. Griese hopes to compete with starter Rex Grossman, but recovery times from ACL injuries are unpredictable at best. QB coach Wade Wilson indicated on July 10th that "I think that he'd (Griese) be able to play a game tomorrow. The offensive systems he played in in Denver and Tampa Bay are very similar concepts to what we do. A little bit of the language is different. But he's such a smart guy and a student of the game and just a true professional. He picked up things so fast in the OTAs and the minicamp." The Bears have proclaimed Rex Grossman the starter, but Griese will wait in the wings for his opportunity to play. Grossman hasn't been impressive, while Griese has played well during the first 2 weeks of pre-season action.

Cincinnati's Carson Palmer blew out his left knee (ACL and MCL) during the opening minutes of the playoff game vs. Pittsburgh. He's had the knee surgically repaired, and has done some light throwing during the off-season, and proceeded to participate in organized team activities and mini-camps. According to all reports, Palmer has progressed rapidly in his rehabilitation, and the team expects him in the lineup at Kansas City on September 10th. However, some caution flags went up preseason week 1 when Palmer stood on the sidelines in street clothes. He says that he's concerned about taking a hit on the knee, and interviews conducted during the telecast presented a cautious-sounding Palmer who isn't sure he's ready to step under center. As of 8/15/06, coach Marvin Lewis revealed that Palmer is medically cleared to play in games and that it is up to Palmer when he puts on the pads and steps under center in a contest. However, Palmer is not going to play during the week 2 preseason contest - he is insisting that he will not return to the field until he feels "100%". Palmer is slated to play in the pre-season week 3 Monday Night Football game - coach Lewis commented about the coming appearance "He's not going to fall apart. He's not peanut brittle out there.". Palmer commented on Sunday, 8/27/06 about his upcoming appearance on Monday Night Football (8/28/06) "If you compare me now to a month ago, I feel a lot better and a lot more confident. I'm a lot more consistent with different routes and different route combinations." As of halftime during the week 3 Monday Night Football game vs. Green Bay, Palmer has tossed 9/14 for 140 yards passing and 3 TDs with 0 interceptions to his credit. He looks like he is in mid-season form.

Dallas' Drew Bledsoe appeared to be concussed on a hard hit during the Cowboy's tie with Minnesota. The severity of the injury isn't clear as of 9/1/06.

Indianapolis' backup Jim Sorgi missed time in mini-camps/OTAs due to a sore shoulder in his throwing arm, and the team recently signed veteran Shaun King to be the #3 QB as insurance. During week 2 of the pre-season, Sorgi appeared to re-injure his shoulder during a sack, and walked off the field with his arm dangling limply. King appears to be the #2 QB in Indianapolis in the wake of Sorgi's injury woes. The team received some good news on Sorgi on 8/22/06, when an MRI revealed no structural damage to his arm/shoulder (but his arm was still in a sling - the team is calling him day-to-day as of 8/23/06).

Jacksonville's Byron Leftwich missed the final 5 games of the 2005 season, due to a broken left ankle. He did play in the Jaguars' playoff game, and is expected to fully participate in all practices heading into 2006. He worked on scrambling out of the pocket during May mini-camps as part of the team's training regimen. Leftwich threw 4/4 for 52 yards, 0 TDs and 0 interceptions during week 2 of pre-season, and appears set to play as usual during regular season.

Miami's Daunte Culpepper is making a comeback from a gruesome knee injury (torn right ACL, MCL, and PCL) suffered during an October 30th, 2005 game. The normal time-frame for returning from such extensive reconstructive surgery is 9-12 months. Speaking of his injury, Culpepper said "I'm not going to predict, or rush myself or be unsmart about anything about it because I know it's a very sensitive injury. Only a couple people have ever had it and came back from it. I'm just glad to be making the progress that I'm making and hopefully it continues." All reports out of Miami have been positive, and Culpepper was dropping back to pass and scrambling around during a July mini-camp. He appears to be set to return for the full season at this point. Culpepper saw limited duty in week 1 of pre-season (1/2 for 2 yards, 0 TDs and 0 interceptions).He threw 7/9 for 86 yards, 0 TDs and 0 interceptions during week 2 of pre-season, and took a few hits from the opposing Buccaneers' defenders. He looks to be on track for opening day at the mid-point of August.

New England's Tom Brady had off-season surgery to repair a hernia. He is expected to be fine for the start of regular season, and there are no concerns as of the first week of pre-season.

New Orlean's new starter, Drew Brees, is coming off a shoulder injury (torn labrum in his throwing arm) suffered in the Charger's season finale. He is expected to be ready for the start of training camp, and he has been throwing a ball since early April (that's about 4 weeks ahead of schedule for rehabbing this sort of injury). Brees spoke about his rehabilitation, saying "Just from a personal standpoint, facing your own [rehabilitation], you know how tough it's going to be." Brees has participated in OTAs and mini-camps, and is going to be the opening day starter, barring a new injury. He received full clearance to play during training camp, and tossed 5/9 for 60 yards, 0 TDs and 0 interceptions during the first pre-season game.

New York Giants' Eli Manning bruised his throwing hand when it hit a Jets' helmet during the week 3 pre-season game, but the injury is not considered serious.

New York Jets' Chad Pennington is once again rehabbing an injury in the shoulder of his throwing arm. He has had surgery on his rotator cuff 2 straight seasons - the team expected him to "intensify" his throwing regimen during mini-camps this year. He's facing a training camp challenge from Patrick Ramsey, Kellen Clemens and Brooks Bollinger, but remains the favorite to be the opening-day starter. Pennington looked sharp in the pre-season opener and appears poised to reclaim the top job in New York. He missed the game in week 2 due to a family illness/issue unrelated to his shoulder injury.

Oakland's Andrew Walter sat out of the 3rd pre-season game due to a sore right shouler. Aaron Brooks has steadily improved over the team's last 2 pre-season games, and tossed 19/32 for 312 yards, 3 TDs and 1 interception in those contests - it doesn't look like Walter is challenging for the starting job in Oakland at this point.

Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb, who lost the final half of the 2005 season due to a sports hernia that required a surgical repair, stated in March that although he wasn't 100% yet, he could play football now if necessary. Head coach Andy Reid said at the opening of Eagle's training camp (July 20th) "We're going to let him go. He was able to do everything during the minicamps. He felt very good about the progress he had been making, and the doctor that had done the surgery checked him and felt he was full-go. He's been working out like crazy, so we'll let him get in there and we will take it practice by practice and see how he does." McNabb is expected to be ready for the regular season, and has looked solid during his 4 preseason appearances. McNabb is 23-of-31 for 283 yards, 1 TD and 0 interceptions over 4 pre-season contests.

Just weeks after almost dying in a motorcycle accident, Ben Roethlisberger returned to action to practices. He and the Steelers expect him to be fully recovered well before the start of regular season. However, Roethlisberger suffered a ligament sprain in his right thumb (throwing hand) and may miss the second pre-season game. Roethlisberger did play for a series week 2, leading the team to a TD (passing for 3/4 for 30 yards, 1 TD and 0 interceptions), despite his sore thumb. He played during pre-season week 3, tossing 9/14 for 52 yards, 0 TDs and 1 interception. Coach Cowher commented on Roethlisberger after the game, saying "I like where he's at. I like his mindset. I like the way he's operating the offense and I like where he's at -- not just in games, but in practices." UPDATE: Roethlisberger out week 1 Coach Cowher confirmed in his Sunday night news conference that Ben Roethlisberger had an emergency appendectomy on Sunday 9/3 and is out for at least week 1 of the regular season.

San Diego's Phillip Rivers bruised his shoulder (throwing arm) during the week 3 pre-season game, but the injury is not considered serious at this time. Rivers commented on Sunday, 8/27/06 “(It's) A little sore. But, honestly, if we had to play today, I could go.”

St. Louis' Marc Bulger, who lost the second half of 2005 because of a shoulder injury to his throwing arm, participated in the Rams' first minicamp of 2006. New head coach Scott Linehan indicated he was very pleased with all of the Ram's QBs after the workouts. Bulger has played in both of the team's pre-season contests as of mid-August.

Tennessee's Vince Young bruised his throwing hand when it slammed against a team-mate's helmet on 8/23/06 - x-rays were negative and the injury is considered minor at this time.

Washington's Jason Campbell left the final pre-season game with a hamstring injury - the severity of the pull isn't known as of 9/1/06.

+Running Backs+

Baltimore's Jamal Lewis started training camp on the PUP list due to an injured hip flexor. However, he had 6/34/0 rushing during the first pre-season game, so it appeared that this early complaint was a non-issue. He added 9/27/0 during the second full week of exhibition games, but has aggravated his strained left hip flexor. The word as of 8/20/06 is that Lewis will miss the final two weeks of pre-season games - the team hopes he'll be available for the start of regular season. Said coach Billick "Medically, it's prudent at this point to give him a chance to fully rehab it and get the last bit of soreness -- whatever is going on in there -- out. Between now and the beginning of the season that's what our focus is going to be. We're giving him two weeks to get the proper rehab and crank it up for Tampa Bay." Lewis sat out of the final pre-season game, as expected.

Baltimore's Mike Anderson sprained his foot and was limited during the second week of pre-season - the sprain is not considered serious as of 8/21/06, according to reports.

Baltimore's Justin Green left the final pre-season game due to a sprained MCL in his knee.

Buffalo's Willis McGahee suffered a minor shoulder injury in practice on 8/23/06 - he returned to practice after the incident, but had the shoulder wrapped and iced after practice. Right now, this appears to be a minor nick, but McGahee owners or potential McGahee owners will want to keep an eye on his progress for the rest of the week.

Buffalo's Joe Burns was placed on injured reserve because of a forearm injury, ending his 2006 campaign.

Carolina's DeShaun Foster is reported to be 100% recovered from the surgery that repaired his ankle after his injury in the playoff game in Chicago. Said coach Fox during a May mini-camp "In his career thus far, we've had situations in the season where he's had to be the guy. Late last year, I don't think we would have advanced to where we did without him stepping in in a big way and producing at a high level. This will be the first time coming into a season he's been the featured guy. He's definitely capable. We've just got to kill off that injury bug." He rushed for 4/10/0 and grabbed a short pass (1/2/0) in a limited appearance during week 2 of the pre-season.

Chicago's Cedric Benson is reported to be fully recovered from the November knee injury that limited him at the end of 2005. He is expected to fully participate in minicamps and training camp this year - missing a large chunk of those practices last year set back his professional development. However, he suffered a shoulder injury early in training camp and is sidelined as of the first round of pre-season games. He did not log a carry during the second pre-season game. Benson sat out the pre-season finaled due to his shoulder injury. He is #2 on the depth chart to start regular season.

Chicago's Thomas Jones injured his hamstring during physical fitness tests at the start of training camp. He did not see action during the week 1 pre-season game - he might have lost ground to Cedric Benson. However, Cedric Benson was also out of action during week 1 of the pre-season, due to a shoulder injury he suffered during a training camp practice (which may keep him out for at least an additional week). Neither guy is in a position to seize the top job from the sidelines. Jones missed the second pre-season game, as did Benson. Heading into regular season, Jones has been named the starting running back.

Cincinnati's Rudi Johnson revealed this spring that he played through cartilage damage in his left knee during 2005, and injury that has since been repaired through arthroscopic surgery. He is said to have even more burst and quickness entering 2006 than he did last year, when he rushed for 1458 yards on 337 carries. He's all set for training camp, and has shown even more burst than he had last season. Chris Perry has been on PUP due to ongoing ankle problems, and may be out for the first 6 weeks of training camp due to this continuing injury issue (dating back to last year). Perry is back on the PUP to start the season as of 9/2/06.

Detroit's Kevin Jones is said to be concentrating on fundamentals and conditioning after a frustrating and injury-plagued campaign during 2005. He is expected to be the starter from day 1 of training camp. He caught a TD and rushed for 6/7/0 during week 2 of pre-season.

Denver's Cecil Sapp has been fighting through a sore groin during training camp. He aggravated his groin injury on Sunday, August 13th. He did not log a carry during the second pre-season game.

Denver's Ron Dayne was nursing a sore toe as of 8/14/06 - the turf toe has limited him in practice more than expected and he did not play during week 2 of pre-season. Mike Bell and Tatum Bell appear to have cemented the #1 and #2 roles respectively heading into week 3 of the pre-season - Dayne has reported back to practice as of late-August and may see some carries during the final 2 pre-season games, according to reports out of Denver. But it may be too little, too late - stay tuned. Dayne missed the 4th pre-season game due to his turf toe injury. He was cut on Sunday, 9/2/06.

Green Bay's Ahman Green is expected to be ready for training camp after missing most of 2005 due to a torn quadriceps tendon. Backup Najeh Davenport is expected to return at around the same time after rehabbing a broken ankle. Neither player participated in mini-camps this season as they continued their rehabs - fantasy owners interested in Green will want to monitor his progress in training camp carefully. Samkon Gado, who strained a knee late in the season, is fully participating in the off-season activities and may share some of the load with Green this year. In mid July, GM Ted Thompson indicated that both Green and Davenport may not be ready for the start of training camp, saying "Maybe not at the very start. We're going to try to be cautious because we want to make sure everything is good to go before we put them back out there." The team hopes to get both players some practice time before the end of training camp. Green is slated to play during the week 3 pre-season game (18-20 snaps) and commented on Wednesday, 8/23/06 "I'm just looking forward to getting back out there and getting banged around." On Sunday, 8/27/06, team manager Ted Thompson commented: "There's no reason to believe he's any more susceptible to this injury (quad tendon) than someone who hasn't had it."

Green Bay's Davenport has started practicing as of the second week of pre-season games. He logged 11/29/0 rushing and 2/5/0 receiving during the week 2 pre-season game vs. Atlanta. However, Davenport is reported to have suffered a hip injury during practice on 8/22/06 - the severity of this new injury is under evaluation. He has missed some practices due to a strained hip flexor - coach McCarthy commented on Davenport's latest injury on 8/24/06, saying "Player injuries I really can't control. Obviously, you want to see him out there. He's competing for a roster spot." Davenport was cut heading into regular season.

Green Bay's Samkon Gado was unable to play during the second pre-season game due to a groin pull (not a tear) - he hopes to be able to return to the lineup before the end of the pre-season, but his return date is hazy as of mid-August. Gado is back in the mix as of the end of August - the groin pull is not a serious concern, evidently.

Green Bay's FB William Henderson is expected to miss 3-6 weeks due to a knee injury suffered on Saturday, 8/19/06 - cartilage and perhaps ligament damage was inflicted. His return date is unknown as of mid-August.

Houston's Domanick Davis was expected to be 100% after missing the final 5 games last season due to knee swelling - he underwent arthroscopic surgery to correct the condition. Davis reported he was 100% at the beginning of training camp, but has been struggling through soreness in his knee and has missed a lot of practice time/pre-season games since then. As of Saturday, 9/2/06, the Texans have placed Davis on IR and he is out for the season. “There’s a little swelling and it stays there and it’s just not comfortable when it’s like that,” he said. “It’s just not right. The only thing I need to do is let it do what it has to do. Whatever it is. There’s nothing I can do right now or the doctors can do right now. All I really need more than anything is more time. I’m going to take that time before I try to get back and start building up everything.” Wali Lundy is the starter for 2006.

Indianapolis' James Mungro left the game on Sunday 8/20/06 with a knee injury, and the team was awaiting the results of medical tests as of 8/21/06. On 8/23/06 it was reported in the Indianapolis press that Mungro has been lost for the season due to a torn ACL in his right knee (the team had not yet made an official announcement).

Jacksonville's Fred Taylor, who struggled at times last season with his surgically repaired knee, has spent the offseason on an agressive personal training regimen, and is said to have reported to mandatory spring workouts in great shape. He spoke about the repaired knee during mini-camp, stating "My knee is fine. I don't think it's an issue, but I had major knee surgery and there are days I have to double-ice it." Taylor added "I'm in the best shape I've ever been." However, Taylor strained his right hamstring during conditioning drills on the first day of training camp, which cost him some practice time. He put up 3/11/0 rushing and 1/22/0 receiving during the first pre-season game, and followed up with 5/15/0 rushing and 1/11/0 receiving during the second exhibition game.

Jacksonville's Greg Jones suffered a left knee injury during the week 3 pre-season game, originally said to be a sprained MCL. However, a MRI revealed a torn ACL in his left knee, which will require season-ending knee surgery.

Kansas City's Priest Holmes has not been medically cleared to practice due to his ongoing medical consultations over his spinal injury, suffered at mid-season during 2005. There is no certainty that he will play professional football during 2006 - perhaps never again. As of mid-July, on the eve of training camp, there was still no official determination of Holmes' status. He is still in limbo as of the start of pre-season games.

Kansas City's Michael Bennett missed the first pre-season game due to a hamstring injury. He did not log a carry or reception during the second exhibition contest.

Miami's Sammy Morris suffered a foot injury in the team's pre-season finale. He's also facing a 4 game league suspension to open the season.

Miami's (Ex-Brown) Lee Suggs, who was to be traded to the Jets, was sent back to the Browns when he failed the Jets' physical for unspecified reasons. Suggs has suffered a variety of injuries during his career, but the Jets declined to specify what the specific concern was the reason for the voided trade. Suggs is said to be surprised at failing the physical, as he claims he is fully healthy. Suggs stated "I did all the workouts, passed the physicals here and everything was fine." Suggs was cut by the Browns heading into regular season, but landed with the Dolphins.

Minnesota's Chester Taylor suffered a groin injury during training camp, but it is reportedly a minor issue. He returned to a full practice slate just a few days after tweaking his groin. He rushed for 10/36/0 and snagged passes for 3/15/0 during the second pre-season game. Mewelde Moore appeared to tweak his knee during the second pre-season game, and is now #3 on the depth chart behind Ciatrick Fason. Moore did not play during the preseason week 3.

Minnesota's Ciatrick Fason suffered a shoulder injury early in the 3rd pre-season game, and did not return to action. The severity of the injury is unclear as of morning, 8/26/06 - an MRI is scheduled for later in the day on Saturday.

New England's Corey Dillon has reportedly worked hard to get his balky calf and sore ankle back into shape heading into 2006 - but he'll be looking over his shoulder at rookie Laurence Maroney this year. Dillon was less-than-impressive for much of 2005 - he'll need to be way more productive if he's to keep Maroney on the bench. At 32, he's on the downside of his career - can he stay healthy during 2006? Dillon posted 10/26/1 rushing and 1/-4/0 receiving during the week 2 pre-season game. Dillon was poked in the eye during the week 3 pre-season game, but the injury is not considered serious as of 8/28/06. He practiced following the minor injury and it doesn't look like an issue.

New England's Laurence Maroney suffered an unspecified knee injury in the 3rd preseason game, which was revealed after he missed practice prior to and the week 4 pre-season game. The team is being tight-lipped about the nature of his injury as of 9/1/06.

New Orlean's Deuce McAllister is still rehabbing his surgically repaired right ACL - the team hoped he would be ready for the start of training camp. McAllister is now looking over his shoulder at a healthy Reggie Bush - if McAllister can't go during training camp, he may lose his starting job sooner rather than later. McAllister did not play in the first pre-season game as a precaution. On 8/15/06 he declared himself ready to play in a game, so it looks like McAllister will show us what he can do in week 2 of the pre-season. He said "I don't know if it's 100 percent but it's good enough to play and it's at a point where we have to start making progress as far as in some games and see how it goes as far as that's concerned." He is slated to play during the 8/21/06 Monday Night Football game. On 8/22/06 he reported that the knee is doing well after his appearance in the game, saying "I felt fine. Right now, the knee looks good. What'll be important is we try to keep the swelling down to a minimum in the morning. After that, it's just going to work and getting ready." He rushed for 6/62/1 during the team's 3rd pre-season game vs. Indianapolis.

New Orlean's FB Aaron Stecker suffered a high ankle sprain during the first pre-season game, and may not be back in the lineup for a while.

New York Jets' Curtis Martin underwent season-ending knee surgery in December 2005 to remove bone chips jammed into the front, back, and sides of his right knee. It remains to be seen if he can fully recover, although there was no ligament damage discovered when the chips were removed. Cedric Houston suffered a broken wrist and facial lacerations in a car accident durinig April - he is expected to participate in the team's June minicamps and training camp. The Jets' running back stable is in a fluid state entering 2006. There has been a lot of talk about a reduced role for Martin during 2006. Recent reports indicate that he is "bone-on-bone" in his right knee and there have been rumors of retirement - he looks like a very risky fantasy proposition at this point. The Jets traded for first Lee Suggs (that deal fell through) and then Kevan Barlow from San Francisco to bolster their RB stable in mid-August.

Kevan Barlow (now a Jet) practiced with his old team, the 49'ers, on a limited basis during mini-camps - as he continued to rehabilitate his left knee after January surgery to clean up loose cartilage. With Barlow nursing a bruised thigh suffered early in the first pre-season game, rival Frank Gore carried a big load and didn't show ill effects from his shoulder surgeries. As of 8/15/06, Barlow was still limping due to the thigh bruise (and also has a sore shoulder), which gave Gore the lion's share of reps with the 49'ers first team. The 49'ers decided to go with Gore as their starter, and dealt Barlow to New York.

Philadelphia's Brian Westbrook is expected to fully recover from his foot injury (a Lisfranc foot sprain that did not require surgery). However, he did not play during the team's second pre-seasong game due to another foot issue (he's been in a walking boot - the team denies that this foot condition is related to the Lisfranc foot sprain). His latest injury (stretched ligaments in foot) is feeling "pretty good" according to a report on 8/17/06.

Philadelphia's Correll Buckhalter, was not going to be in the lineup to start training camp after missing mini-camps and OTAs due to his ongoing rehabilitation of a torn right patella tendon. He started the season on the PUP list, but he had an eye-opening 48 yard reception during week 2 of pre-season (5/8/0 rushing). It appears that he has some spring left in his knees, after all. He followed up with 7/31/0 rushing and 4/16/0 receiving during the 3rd pre-season game, and looks ready to play this year.

Philadelphia's Ryan Moats sprained a knee ligament early in training camp. The team is hoping he can return to action sometime during pre-season. He did not log a carry during the Eagles' second pre-season game, but carried the ball 7 times for 7 yards in their 3rd pre-season contest. Fellow RB Bruce Perry missed the game due to a concussion suffered in the Hall of Fame game.

St. Louis' Steven Jackson had some Achilles pain leading up to the first pre-season game, but he was explosive in his chances vs. Indianapolis (5/41/0 rushing) - the soreness doesn't appear to be a big problem. He rushed for 4/10/0 and caught a pass for 1 yard during the second pre-season game. He missed practice on 8/22/06 due to "tendonitis" in his heel - it appears that the heel injury is lingering, but it is not considered a serious problem as of 8/22/06.

San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson is expected to fully recover from the cracked ribs that limited him at the end of 2005. He suffered from neck pain early in training camp, but returned to action the next day - it wasn't the reason he didn't play in week 1 of preseason (coaching staff decision).

San Diego's Darren Sproles has been lost for the season due to a broken leg (fractured fibula/surgery to repair the injury).

San Francisco's Kevan Barlow practiced with the team on a limited basis during mini-camps - as he continued to rehabilitate his left knee after January surgery to clean up loose cartilage. Frank Gore had a surgical procedure performed on each shoulder during the off-season - and has had both knees surgically repaired in the past. Gore looks like the front-runner for the starting job heading into training camp, and with Barlow nursing a bruised thigh suffered early in the first pre-season game, Gore carried a big load and didn't show ill effects from his shoulder surgeries. As of 8/15/06, Barlow was still limping due to the thigh bruise (and also has a sore shoulder), which is giving Gore the lions share of reps with the first team. Gore has grabbed the top job and Barlow is now a Jet.

Seattle's Maurice Morris missed the second pre-season game due to an ankle injury. The team hopes he can return to the lineup soon.

Seattle's Leonard Weaver suffered a high ankle sprain (left ankle) in the team's pre-season finale. Current speculation as of 9/1 is that the sprain is severe enough that Weaver may end up on IR.

Tampa's Cadillac Williams missed some practice time early in training camp due to back spasms. He didn't play in the first pre-season game, but that was due to a coaching decision. He also sat out of the 2nd pre-season game.

Tampa's Michael Pittman has been struggling with a lower leg strain during the middle part of August. He's expected to recover.

Tennessee's Chris Brown (groin injury) missed some practice time early in camp. He rushed for 9/47/0 during the team's week 1 pre-season game, so he seems to be recovered from the groin issue.

Tennessee's LenDale White has struggled with a toe injury/soreness and a disrespectful attitude during training camp, and missed the pre-season game week 1 due to a team suspension for his role in a training camp brawl. He rushed for 7/28/0 during the second week of pre-season.

Washington's Clinton Portis suffered a potentially serious shoulder dislocation (called a subluxation, a different (and usually more serious) injury than a shoulder separation which involves the top part of the AC shoulder joint. A dislocation injury deals with how the humerus (arm) bone connects in the ball and socket type joint of the shoulder), and he is not expected to play again during pre-season. Coach Gibbs indicated that it would be "a while" before Portis plays again shortly after the injury was suffered. The latest reports out of Washington state that Portis is on track to open the regular season.

+Wide Receivers+

Atlanta's Brian Finneran has been lost for the season due to a knee injury (ACL tear).

Arizona's Anquan Boldin tweaked his hamstring during the week leading up to week 1 preseason games. He played and snagged 2/24/0 during the first pre-season game, though, so it appears that this is a minor issue, as reported.

Baltimore's Derrick Mason exited the first pre-season game due to a mild concussion. We'll see how he comes along as pre-season progresses - once a player has suffered a concussion, they can be more prone to suffering additional problems in that area. If you are thinking about investing a pick in Mason, monitor his progress during the final weeks of pre-season carefully. He hauled in 7/72/0 during the seond week of pre-season, which is a positive sign that Mason has managed to shake off the effects of his concussion. Mason was held out of the final pre-season game to rest a sore knee.

Carolina's Steve Smith suffered a hamstring injury during the first day of training camp - he's working on rehabbing the pull, but did not appear in the first or second pre-season game, although he has started practicing as of mid-August. In his absence, Drew Carter and Keary Colbert are fighting for playing time/chances to impress the coaching staff. Smith sat out of the final pre-season game due to his pulled hamstring and an ingrown toenail. He reflected "It really doesn't matter if you don't play a lot. You'll be rusty after the preseason anyway because you're not in enough to get into a rhythm." We learned on 9/1/06 that Smith had toe surgery to correct the ingrown toe-nail on August 17th. He is expected to be ready for the season opener, although "rust" may be an issue for him after such a long lay-off.

Carolina's Keary Colbert fought through an ankle injury during 2005 (that was not revealed until spring 2006), and had off-season surgery to clean up bone spurs, bone chips and an abnormal calcium deposit. He has dropped to #3 on the depth chart, but the injury to Smith has opened the door for Colbert to impress the coaches and he's been doing that according to the early word out of Panther's training camp. He snagged 2 passes for 45 yards during week 2 of pre-season.

Chicago's Muhsin Muhammad's right hand is said to be healing well after a break sustained in the playoff loss to Carolina. He should be ready to go for training camp. Muhammad skipped the week 2 preseason game to rest unspecified nagging injuries.

Chicago's WR Mark Bradley is recovering nicely from his torn right ACL (October, 2005) and hopes to return to the team in time for training camp.Receiver's coach Darryl Drake recently commented on Bradley "Right now he (isn't 100 percent). But you see improvement each and every day. All I'm looking for from him right now is to make sure that he's doing things right in the mental part of the game. There's going to come a point in time where he's able to do those things like we know he can. But he's got some time and the worst thing that we could do to him is rush him. That would be suicide." Bradley is expected to contend with Bernard Berrian, Airese Currie and Justin Gage for the #2 role. He started opposite Muhammad in week 1 of pre-season while Berrian nursed a sore groin. All except Currie (knee injury) played during week 2 of pre-season. Bradley injured a hip in the final pre-season game, and Berrian sat out due to a right knee injury.

Chicago's Justin Gage was slowed by unspecified minor injuries during mini-camps, but is now back in the mix. He grabbed a TD during week 2 of pre-season (3/20/1).

Cincinnati's T.J. Houshmandzadeh bruised his elbow during practices leading into the first pre-season game but still snagged 2/54/0 during the game - the elbow injury isn't a concern at this point.

Cleveland's Braylon Edwards is not expected to be medically cleared for training camp (he tore up his right ACL - the knee was reconstructed in January 2006), and the team fears he may not be 100% until 2007. Edwards looks like a risky proposition for the 2006 season. Said head coach Crennel, "They're going to release him when he gets well. When that is, I don't know." Until Edwards returns, the team has Joe Jurevicius penciled in at #1 WR. Edwards did not play in the first pre-season game, although reports about his return to practices during training camp have been generally positive, and Edwards hopes to be in the mix from week 1 of regular season - right now, its unclear if that is a realistic goal. He is participating in 11 on 11 drills as of 8/14/06 (a drill in pads, but with no contact). Edwards reports that his knee hasn't swollen or prevented him from participating in practices, and believes that he is ready to play as of week 3 of pre-season. The team appears increasingly optimistic that Edwards really is ready to come back. He absorbed some hits vs. Buffalo in week 3 of pre-season, and caught 1/9/0.

Dallas' Terrell Owens has been missing time during training camp due to a sore hamstring - he's been calling in his own physicians for second opinions on the injury, and sported a bicycle racing outfit for his session on the sidelines/training bike one day so far. He stayed back in Dallas with the other injured players during the first pre-season game and therefore did not suit up. Owens did join practice (after missing 14 sessions) on August 17th. Then, he was sent back to Dallas after reporting the left hamstring tightened up over the weekend - he won't play on Monday night, 8/21/06. Agent Drew Rosenhaus characterized the injury as "serious" in comments reported on Monday, 8/21/06. Team owner Jerry Jones indicated on Monday Night Football that the team was considering another MRI to assess Owens' hamstring in the hope that the training staff can diagnose the source of the problem. Owens has been fined by the team for being late to rehab sessions and for missing a team meeting as of 8/28/06. Coach Parcells seems uncertain if Owens will play in the pre-season finale, saying "If he feels like he wants to get some plays, then we'll think about it. If not, we won't." TO caught 1 ball for 6 yards in a brief appearance in the final pre-season game.

Dallas' Patrick Crayton missed the 8/21/06 Monday Night Football game due to a high ankle sprain.

Denver's Javon Walker is rehabbing the torn ACL he suffered in his right knee during week 1 of 2005 - he's expected to be ready to go for training camp this season. Coach Shanahan commented on Walker at a July mini-camp: "He looks like he's in pretty good shape. He's making some strides. He did most of the drill work. We didn't do any team work with him. I think he could have. But we have a plan over the next three weeks to keep working him like he's working now and hopefully, by the first day of camp, he's ready to go full speed." Walker was held out of the first pre-season game as he continues to rehab his knee injury - he experienced soreness in the joint during the preceding week. He did start, but did not catch a ball, during the second exhibition game. He went 3/41/0 during week 3 of pre-season (vs. Houston) and is on schedule to start the season opener.

Denver's Rod Smith suffered from some hamstring soreness to open training camp, and was inactive for the first pre-season game due to the injury. Smith's injury tightened up on him during practices leading into the pre-season game. He caught 3/38/0 during the second pre-season contest, and seems to be on the road to a full recovery.

Denver's Brandon Marshall has a torn knee ligament and will miss at least the rest of pre-season, if not more. His status as of mid-August is very cloudy.

Detroit's Roy Williams missed practice 8/13 and 8/14/06 due to bruised ribs - the injury is not considered serious, and Williams is described as day to day.

Detroit's Shaun Bodiford suffered an unspecified lower leg injury in the pre-season finale.

Detroit's Mike Williams has been rehabbing a sore hamstring during mini-camps - but not dilligently. He was sent home for the final 2 days of the first mandatory mini-camp for being late to a team meeting and a rehabilitation session. He has reportedly been chronically late during his short career, by the way. He may have bigger problems than a sore hamstring - he doesn't look like he's in the mix to contribute to the Lions this season.

Detroit's Scottie Vines may miss the first half of regular season after suffering a sports hernia injury. He's on the PUP list right now.

Detroit's Charles Rogers missed the second pre-season game due to a knee injury, and he looks to be in danger of being cut by the Lions.

Green Bay's Robert Ferguson is expected to be recovered from a torn LCL/deep knee bruise in his left knee in time for training camp. However, he missed part of the mini-camp due to his leg, and Rod Gardner has been nursing a sore hamstring. The depth chart across from Donald Driver is unclear heading into training camp. Ferguson grabbed 2/21/0 during the week 2 pre-season contest, and looks like he'll retain the #2 role in the WR stable.

Houston's Andre Johnson tweaked his ankle in the 2005 season finale vs. San Francisco, but it wasn't a serious injury. He's reported to be fully healthy and is working well with new #2 WR Eric Moulds. Johnson grabbed 4/38/0 during week 2 of the pre-season.

Indianapolis' Marvin Harrison is recovering from off-season elbow and wrist surgery, but is expected to be ready for the start of training camp as usual. Coach Dungy apppeared unconcerned when asked about the elbow procedure, performed in May, stating "He told me if there was anything wrong, he'd let me know." Harrison has started as usual during pre-season, and grabbed 1/35/0 during the second pre-season game.

Indianapolis' Bradon Stokley sprained a left ankle during a practice session, and may miss the season opener as a result. An MRI was performed, and coach Dungy stated "He's definitely going to be out this week, but from there it's still to be determined. It does not look like it's going to be long-term in terms of a long ways into the regular season." Stokley is confident of playing in the regular season opener, stating in mid-August "It's going to be tough to keep me out of that one."

Jacksonville's Matt Jones suffered an ankle injury during the 8/19/06 pre-season game, opening the door for #3 WR Reggie Williams to show some flashes of talent. Jone's injury is not considered serious as of 8/21/06, but bears watching.

Miami's Marty Booker suffered a sprained ankle during a June practice. He's expected to be OK for training camp. Heading into the first pre-season game, he was nursing a nagging left calf injury (he didn't catch a pass in that contest). He did manage 1/20/0 during the Dolphins' week 2 exhibition game.

Miami's Kelly Campbell suffered a quadriceps re-injury in the final pre-season game. The severity of the injury is not known as of 9/1/06. Campbell was cut due to his ongoing struggle with this quad injury.

Minnesota's (Ex-Eagle) Todd Pinkston ruptured his right Achilles tendon during an August 2005 practice - the team hopes he'll be recovered in time for training camp. It remains to be seen if he'll hold onto his starting job, but reports out of Philadelphia in mid-July have stated that the #2 job is Pinkston's to lose. He participated in a limited way during mini-camps - we'll have to wait and see how his Achilles holds up. Early in training camp, Pinkston experienced soreness and swelling in his left Achilles, and he may be on the bubble now. The latest news as of 8/17/06 is that Pinkston's troublesome Achilles is not progressing, and that he may not be ready for the start of the season. He did play in week 3 of pre-season, snagging one ball for 4 yards. Pinkston was cut by the Eagles 8/30, and landed with Minnesota the next day.

New Orleans/Philadelphia's Donte Stallworth injured his groin early in training camp and also has a sore hamstring, contributing to the Saint's desire to trade him. He was not a starter during the first pre-season game (Devery Henderson started across from Joe Horn), and Stallworth did not catch a pass in the first contest. However, Stallworth led the team during week 3 of the pre-season with 4/49/0 receiving. He is now an Eagle due to a trade.

New York Giants' Plaxico Burress tweaked his right ankle early during training camp - but he played in the first pre-season game and snagged 2/48/0. He appears to be fine.

New York Giants' Amani Toomer tweaked his hip (hip contusion) in the week 3 pre-season game, but the injury is considered minor at this time (8/28/06).

New York Giants' rookie WR Sinorice Moss, who has missed the bulk of training camp, had hospital tests in mid August on his injured quadriceps in an attempt to discover the problem and treat the injury. Said Coach Coughlin "They're trying to look and see what it is and if there's anything more that can be done". Coach Coughlin commented further on Moss' status as of 8/27/06, saying "The problem is that each time he pushed himself to the point where it's a sprint situation and you would like to be able to think that he can do that on a daily basis, which is what he has to do to play his position, he comes back from a very good workout and has soreness the next day. Therefore, he can't repeat the workout. Until he can sprint, and do it consistently, they're not going to give him clearance."

New York Jets' Justin McCareins was placed on the PUP list to start training camp due to a lingering foot injury (suffered during mini-camps), and appears to be out of favor with the coaching staff. He didn't catch a pass in the first pre-season game. He did haul in 2/10/0 during week 2 of the pre-season.

Oakland's Randy Moss is reportedly fully recovered from the nagging hamstring/leg injury that limited his production during 2005. He also banged up his ribs, and fought through a sore groin/pelvis during the season. He is said to be fully healthy now, and is working well with new QB Aaron Brooks, a great sign for both players' fantasy owners.

Oakland's Ron Curry is rehabbing his second-straight torn Achilles tendon entering 2006 - the team hopes he can be back in the mix. During the 3rd pre-season game, Curry played and caught 1 pass for 7 yards.

Oakland's Jerry Porter has been struggling with a calf injury and has been demoted off of the first team (more for attitudinal reasons than the injury).

Philadelphia's Reggie Brown tweaked his left hamstring early in training camp (the team called it a "spasm", not a tear), then once he overcame the hamstring issue, he suffered a calf injury. He did not catch a pass in the team's second pre-season game. He had 1 reception for 5 yards in the 3rd pre-season game - the only catch by an Eagle's WR in the first half of that contest.

Philadelphia's Jeremy Bloom tore his hamstring early in training camp and is likely to start the season on the PUP. He left the 3rd pre-season game due to hamstring problems. He may be headed to IR, according to reports on 8/20/06.

Philadelphia's Rookie WR Jason Avant (knee surgery June 20) began training camp on the PUP list, but played in the team's second pre-season game (1/22/0).

Pittsburgh's Santonio Holmes re-injured his hamstring (originally tweaked during OTA's) during the first days of training camp, but snagged 4/32/0 during the Steeler's first pre-season game. He looks like he'll be ok despite the rocky start to training camp.

Pittsburgh's Hines Ward tweaked his hamstring during practice on Friday, August 4th, and then tested it early during the next week - when it tightened up, he was held out of practice. We think he'll be fine for regular season, but right now the hammy is looking like a concern. As of 8/15/06, Ward tested his left hamstring for a short time in practice, but ended up on the sidelines with the training staff bandaging his injured leg. This injury is becoming an ongoing concern and could linger for a while, cutting into practice reps/timing with Roethlisberger. He missed the second pre-season game, as did fellow WR Isaac West (knee). Ward missed practice on 8/22/06, and spoke about the injury to the press, saying "I just have to be smart now. It's not the regular season. I'm not going to step foot on the field until I'm 100 percent again. I don't want to continue to aggravate it." He missed the final pre-season game as expected. Ward practiced on Sunday, 9/2/06 and it looks like he'll be able to play in the season opener. "Hines got through the whole practice and seemed pretty good at the end," head coach Bill Cowher said. "He's good and ready to go."

Saint Louis' Torry Holt will miss early-week practices after sustaining a sternum injury during the team's second pre-season game. "He won’t practice Monday or Tuesday just to get him back to 100 percent," coach Linehan said on Sunday 8/20/06. "He should be ready to go next couple of days."

Saint Louis' Isaac Bruce sat out of the 3rd pre-season game due to a hamstring issue. Said coach Linehan: "His hamstring is probably about 80 percent, and he did hurt it (Wednesday), He practiced about three-quarters speed most of the week." This appears to be a minor issue as of Monday, 8/28/06, but Bruce had a history of hamstring issues early in his career so his owners/potential owners should monitor his progress this week.

San Diego's #2 Eric Parker will miss at least a week of practices due to a sprained thumb ligament, and he didn't play in the pre-season opener as a result.

Seattle's Darrell Jackson has endured 2 surgeries on his injured knee during the off-season - the repeated surgeries aren't a good sign. Recent reports out of Seattle say that Jackson plans to rest his surgically repaired knee as much as possible during training camp, and may have trouble getting back on the field. He is scheduled to practice on Tuesday, 8/22/06 according to recent reports. Speaking to reporters on 8/25/06, he indicated that "My game and my plan was to play in the first game of the season (Sept. 10), and that's what we've been sticking to, and right now we're going to hit that goal, it looks like.".

Seattle's D.J. Hackett, battling a hamstring injury, did not travel to Indianapolis for the team's second pre-season game.

Tampa Bay's Michael Clayton (whose surgically repaired knee was reportedly a problem throughout 2005) is said to be back to 100% entering 2006. Starting QB Chris Simms said of Clayton's 2006 prospects: "It's just great to have him back because people kind of forgot about him last year and they don't realize he played with a bum knee the whole year and never complained or said anything. That's what I respect about him more than anything is his toughness, his willingness to compete and he'll be back in top form." In mini-camps, Clayton looked fully recovered from his knee problems, and hopes to exceed his rookie campaign this season. He snagged 1/14/0 in limited action during the second pre-season game.

Tennessee's Tyrone Calico ended the 2005 season on IR due to calf/hamstring injuries, but he is reportedly looking good during the off-season conditioning program this spring. With the arrival of David Givens, Calico will need to battle for playing time, but he could be the Titans' #3 by regular season if he can stay healthy. Brandon Jones is coming off a season-ending knee injury, and he may not be 100% by the time training camp opens. He started pre-season on the PUP-active list - which was a good sign that he might be finished with rehab by the time regular season rolls around. He missed the second pre-season game due to ongoing hamstring injury issues. Calico was cut heading into regular season.

Tennessee's David Givens has been missing time due to an injured hamstring, and as of 8/17/06 a MRI was scheduled to further evaluate the injury. He missed the second pre-season game due to this hamstring injury. He is expected to also miss the 3rd pre-season game due to this lingering injury.

Washington's Brandon Lloyd has been missing practice time due to a hamstring strain, and did not catch a pass in the team's second pre-season game. "I listen to my body and catch it before it gets bad," Lloyd said. "I don't want any pulls, so I think sitting out a day is worth more than sitting out three weeks with a pulled muscle."

Washington's Jimmy Farris left the final pre-season game with a hamstring injury (unspecified severity).

+Tight Ends+

Atlanta's Alge Crumpler had shoulder surgery in February for a torn labrum (this was not divulged by the team until July). GM Rich McKay indicated to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Crumpler could be limited in training camp and pre-season due to the injury, but should be ready for regular season. Crumpler also had arthroscopic knee surgery at the end of the 2005 season. Crumpler wasn't playing during pre-season games as of week 2 - but it was announced during the middle of pre-season week 3 that he will suit up and play a half against the Tennessee Titans on 8/26/06. He looks to be on course for a return to full action by the start of regular season. Crumpler snagged 2/21/0 vs. Tennessee.

Buffalo's Kevin Everett hurt his groin and was unable to participate in the Bill's first minicamp. He hopes to be able to take part during June OTAs and training camp - the team has signed Robert Royal this year, and Royal has been getting a lot of reps with the first team. Everett looks like he's buried on the depth chart as of mid-August.

Carolina's Kris Mangum has struggled with a foot injury (plantar fascitis) during training camp, and he may have lost his starting spot to Michael Gaines.

Cleveland's Kellen Winslow is expected to return from rehabbing his off-field knee injury in time for training camp this year.Winslow had minor arthroscopic surgery to clean up scar tissue in the repaired joint during January of 2006, and is reportedly doing well finishing up rehabilitation of the injury. After mini-camps and OTAs, all of the news out of Cleveland about Winslow has been positive - he may see some time at WR, and is expected to be a major cog in the offense. His injury woes appear to be a thing of the past, although he has publicly admitted he may never be back to 100% of his pre-injury form, due to the complicated injury and extensive damage suffered by his knee in the motorcycle accident.

Detroit's Casey Fitzsimmons (who had grabbed the top TE spot in Detroit during training camp) fractured his wrist in the first pre-season game, and could miss up to 3 weeks of early regular-season action. Marcus Pollard is back on top of the depth chart as of mid August.

Green Bay's Bubba Franks may be able to participate in minicamps this off-season and is expected to return from the neck/back injuries that shortened his 2005 season in time for training camp. He projects to be the #1 TE again this season, barring a setback.

Houston's TE Ben Steele broke his leg early in training camp and is out for the season.

Indianapolis' Ben Utecht was limited last year due to a rib injury - this year, he's in a dogfight with Bryan Fletcher and Ben Hartsock for the #2 spot behing Dallas Clark. If Utecht can stay healthy, he could make a push for playing time in training camp in the Colts' 2 TE sets. Utecht caught a TD in the first pre-season game, giving him a boost. Hartsock tweaked a hamstring in the preseason game on 8/20/06.

Indianapolis' Dallas Clark suffered a slight concussion during the week 3 pre-season game. The injury is not considered serious as of 8/28/06, although concussions have been known to cause after-effects several days after the initial injury occurs. Clark's owners/potential owners will want to keep an eye on his practice status during the final week of August.

Jacksonville's TE Marcedes Lewis sprained his right ankle in the first pre-season game, and may be out for at least a week and possibly longer, according to initial reports. As of 8/15/06 the injury is reported as a high ankle sprain, which may cost Lewis a week or two - his QB Byron Leftwich commented "I don't know how long he is going to be out [but] he will be a big part of our game plan on Week 1. I'm quite sure of that. I'm hoping we can get him back before then." As of 8/25/06 Lewis is expected to start participating in practices to close out pre-season, but we probably won't see him in a game situation until regular season.

New England's Daniel Graham was hampered by shoulder injuries most of 2005 and sat out the final 1/3 of the season. He is expected to be ready for action by the start of training camp, but will have to fight Ben Watson for playing time.

New Orlean's Ernie Conwell ended the season on IR due to torn ligaments in his knee, and that opened the door to Zach Hilton. Conwell has missed time during mini-camps/OTAs rehabbing his knee. While nominally the starter, Conwell is a ten year veteran who has struggled to stay on the field in recent years, with only 1 full slate of 16 games played during the past 3 years, but he remains at #1 on the depth chart and appears to have weathered the challenge of Hilton entering 2006.

New York Jet's Chris Baker is coming back from a broken left fibula/leg surgery that cut his 2005 campaign short. The team hopes he is ready by the start of training camp.He was re-signed by the team in March, which is a good indication he's on track to play this year. As of late August he was described as "entrenched" at #1 TE by elements of the New York press.

New York Giants' Jeremy Shockey suffered a concussion during the early part of training camp, and did not play in the team's first pre-season contest due to the injury. However, he seems to have shaken off the injury, snagging 2/30/0 vs. the Jets in week 3 of pre-season.

San Francisco's Eric Johnson is said to be 100% healthy after missing 2005 due to a foot injury. However, the 49ers drafted Vernon Davis this year, so Johnson is in a dog fight for playing time. On August 17th Johnson suffered a minor hip flexor pull, but the injury is not considered worrisome at this time.

Seattle's Jerramy Stevens underwent knee surgery in late April after complaining of swelling and pain in his knee. The doctors discovered and repaired a cartilage tear - the team trainers say that he may return to the team by the 3rd week of August (well into training camp). He may or may not be available for the season opener given that time-table. He began to take snaps in practice the week before the first pre-season game. Unfortunately, Stevens suffered a setback during week 2 of pre-season (torn meniscus in his surgically repaired knee) and is out for the first few weeks of regular season.

Seattle's Itula Mili may or my not play in the season opener due to lingering problems with a knee injury. Said coach Holmgren on 8/30/06 "I think I'll get Mili back in time, but I'm not sure." Will Heller would start of Mili can't go.

Last edited by a moderator:
+Kickers+

Atlanta's Tony Yelk has a quadriceps injury, and it appears that Michael Koenen may be poised to serve as all-around place-kicker this season.

Carolina's John Kasay had problems with soreness in his kicking leg early on during training camp. However, he kicked both extra points during the week 1 preseason game, so he appears to be on track for regular season.

Cleveland's Phil Dawson had surgery during the offseason. to repair a sports hernia (he didn't miss a game during 2005). He should be fine by the time regular season rolls around.

Dallas' Mike Vanderjagt has struggled with groin pain during training camp, and missed 2 chip shot field goals in the final game of the pre-season. His status with the Cowboys is in doubt as of 9/1/06.

Indianapolis' Adam Vinatieri suffered a sprained ankle in conditioning drills on 8/15/06, and is considered day-to-day according to coach Dungy. Some rumors of a more serious injury are in the air, but nothing is confirmed as of 8/21/06. More reports of a significant injury appeared in the press on 8/22/06, and it increasingly looks like there may be a question about him starting the season. The Colts are rebutting rumors that Vinatieri has a broken bone in his plant foot/ankle, insisting that the injury is a sprain. However, an official announcement from the team doctor on Vinatieri's status is expected shortly (9/1/06). As of 9/2/06, we know that Vinatieri has a Calcaneo-Cuboid ligament sprain in his left foot.

Dr. Alex Lebrija, DPM is a surgical podiatrist, board certified in rearfoot reconstruction and ankle surgery, commented for our daily email update with Joe Bryant (sent out on 9/2/06). Dr. Lebrija is not Vinatieri's personal physician, but is speaking of the type of injury Vinatieri suffered and it's probable effects on Vinatieri.

"Calcaneo-Cuboid joint (Heel bone-small bone just in front of heel bone. outside of foot). so it was an avulsion fracture. Boy, those are usually pretty nagging. The don't heal real well without immobilization. I'm sure they have a bone stimulator on him. But I would say if he has been practicing and kicking, where ever he is at at three weeks after the injury....he will be there for most of the season. Bone gets pretty sticky and starts healing at around 3 weeks but takes 6 total weeks to heal, so if his symptoms are better around 2-3 weeks after the injury he should be ok. If he is still having symptoms and pain after 3 weeks, I'm betting its going to bother him all year."

New England's Martin Gramatica was out of football during 2005 due to injury problems in his kicking leg. Reportedly he is healthy again, but it remains to be seen if his leg will hold up to a full season of kicking duties. As of 8/23/06, Gramatica has been cut and Stephen Gostkowski is the new PK.

Philadelphia's David Akers was plagued by a torn hamstring/kicking leg problems last season, and his FG percentage suffered (down to 72.7%, from his usual mid- to high- 80% range). He is the only kicker on the roster for the Eagles, so hopefully an offseason. of R and R has helped him recover his form.

Washington's John Hall has suffered through 2 injury plagued seasons with the Redskins - he could only appear in 10 games last year due to kicking leg problems (and only 8 games during 2004). Tyler Jones, a NFLE assignee for the Redskins, may push Hall for a roster spot.

***I have edited this post by The Mollusk so that the full Kickers section will be displayed contiguous with the rest of the injury thread. For some reason, the board is truncating the post halfway through the kicker section. Mark Wimer

Edwards does 11-on-11s in practicePublished Mon Aug 14 6:14:00 a.m. PT 2006

(Rotoworld) Braylon Edwards participated in 11-on-11 drills at practice Sunday.

Impact: Edwards still hasn't faced contact but this was his first participation in full-team activities while wearing shoulder pads. His value, like that of all Browns skill positions, took a hit after the offensive line injuries.

Post Offensive Skill Position Updates here
Umm, you might want to give that a re-read, Mark. I'd consider rewording it before some smart### comes in here and posts something like "Koren Robinson left your mom's house last night so messed up he blew .25, his last chance in the NFL, and a couple of Packers Linebackers". :shrug:Just thought you might like to know what the title seems to be inviting.

Umm, you might want to give that a re-read, Mark. I'd consider rewording it before some smart### comes in here and posts something like "Koren Robinson left your mom's house last night so messed up he blew .25, his last chance in the NFL, and a couple of Packers Linebackers". :shrug:Just thought you might like to know what the title seems to be inviting.
Injury added to thread topic for clarity as suggested. Thanx, MW

Mark Wimer said:
Bob Sacamano said:
Injury added to thread topic for clarity as suggested. Thanx, MW
Never has the :whoosh: smiley been more appropriate.

proninja said:
Umm, you might want to give that a re-read, Mark. I\'d consider rewording it before some smart### comes in here and posts something like \"Koren Robinson left your mom\'s house last night so messed up he blew .25, his last chance in the NFL, and a couple of Packers Linebackers\". :shrug:Just thought you might like to know what the title seems to be inviting.
:lmao:One of my favorite parts about this time of year is when the FFA makes its way to the Shark Pool:lmao:
This is the first visit back I've made since I started frequenting the FFA.

Washington's Clinton Portis suffered a potentially serious shoulder dislocation (called a subluxation, a different (and usually more serious) injury than a shoulder separation which involves the top part of the AC shoulder joint. A dislocation injury deals with how the humerus (arm) bone connects in the ball and socket type joint of the shoulder), and he is not expected to play again during pre-season. Coach Gibbs indicated that it would be "a while" before Portis plays again shortly after the injury was suffered.
Great stuff Mark. I just had a question about Portis. Did he dislocate or sublux his shoulder? My impression was that it is a subluxation, which is less serious than a dislocation. A dislocation can be more serious than a separated shoulder, but a subluxation is thought of as a less serious problem. Can you clarify for me exactly which injury Portis has? I'm 99% sure that its a subluxation, but there's a lot of different terms that people are throwing around I want to make sure I have the correct info. Thanks.I posted the following shoulder info in a separate Portis injury thread. Not sure if people want to see this type of stuff in this thread, but if not you can delete it:

A separated shoulder involves the AC (acromioclavicular) joint. Where the clavicle meets the acromion, a portion of the scapula (shoulder blade). You can feel this joint if you trace your fingers along your clavicle until you hit a palpable elevation, above your arm. It's called a shoulder separation because the shoulder separates from the clavicle when a certain ligaments rupture. This usually results from a hard fall on the shoulder.

A dislocated shoulder occurs when the humerus pops (upper arm bone) out of the glenohumeral joint. It can pop out in a number of ways towards the front (anterior) or back (posterior) or just down (inferior), though most occur anteriorly. The axillary nerve (controls deltoid muscle) can be damaged when this happens. If that occurs the patient may not be able to abduct (move it away from body) their arm.

Subluxation of the shoulder is a minor disruption of the humerous from the glenohumeral joint. It does not have to be reduced, unlike a dislocation. Subluxation usually results in less soft tissue damage compared to dislocations. But, the joint can be more lax after which can prompt recurring instability.

For these injuries recovery depends on the severity. Unfortunately a standard timetable does not exist--it could be days or weeks. One article I read stated that the patient can return to playing the sport when the injured shoulder has full range of motion, at least 80% of the strength of the unaffected shoulder, and the ability to perform the skills of the sport or position comfortably. So it seems like it will depend on Portis's injury, his ability to heal, and his willingness to play through pain.

My understanding of the situation is that Portis suffered a dislocation of the shoulder called a subluxation - it is generally considered more serious than a seperated shoulder, according to what I read on the subject.

As far as degrees of dislocation/subluxation, I haven't seen any specific details on Portis' particular degree of injury, other than it will keep him out of the rest of pre-season, and that the team is looking for ways to distribute the workload to help preserve Portis deeper into regular season (hopefully).

My impression is that Portis' availability during regular season is going to depend on the factors that you listed in your post (playing through pain, recuperative ability of his body, etc) - which are unknowns so soon after the injury. As regular season approaches we should hear updates on the status of his rehab that will help us better estimate his chances for playing a full slate of games during 2006.

Packers | Davenport injured at practice Tuesday

Published Tue Aug 22 11:30:00 p.m. ET 2006

(KFFL) Cliff Christl, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers RB Najeh Davenport (hip) pulled up on a running play and left practice Tuesday evening, Aug. 22, with a hip injury.

From Rotoworld

Willis McGahee fell hard during practice Tuesday and returned to the workout with his shoulder heavily wrapped.

It's unknown whether he'll miss any time. We'll keep you updated.

According ot the Jaguars website, greg Jones suffered a minor knee sprain but they hope he'll be ready for the opener.

According to the Jacksonville Times-Union (jacksonville.com), the sprain was an MCL.

from BBWC

Injury Report: QB Eli Manning hit his throwing hand on an opposing player's helmet during the game against the Jets, but Head Coach Tom Coughlin said that Manning's hand is not injured.

WR Amani Toomer suffered a hip contusion, but the injury is said to not be serious.

CB E.J. Underwood injured his left shoulder during the game and will be undergoing tests to determine the severity of the injury.

WR Sinorice Moss (quad) was expected to return to practice today, but apparently has suffered yet another setback and will not practice. "The problem is that each time he pushed himself to the point where it's a sprint situation and you would like to be able to think that he can do that on a daily basis, which is what he has to do to play his position, he comes back from a very good workout and has soreness the next day," Coughlin said. "Therefore, he can't repeat the workout. Until he can sprint, and do it consistently, they're not going to give him clearance."

Coughlin did not have any specific updates on the other players who did not play against the Jets such as OC Shaun O'Hara (knee), LT Luke Petitgout (back), OG/OC Rich Seubert (toe), LB Carlos Emmons (burner), and HB Little John Flowers (hamstring), and HB Derrick Ward (foot). He did say that, aside from Moss, O'Hara and Emmons have not yet been given the green light to practice.

See Eli above? Suppose that's nothing.(seems like it but just for discussion) He could sit next week. MANY starters sit with fake injuries in upcoing weeks, be a little leery of the injury report

Giants.com link

http://www.giants.com/news/transcripts/sto...?story_id=17832

scroll down

Eli not even playing next week

Mark I appreciate the effort but as your first post is a long one, something like this would be very helpful

Philadelphia's David Akers was plagued by a torn hamstring/kicking leg problems last season, and his FG

percentage suffered (down to 72.7%, from his usual mid- to high- 80% range). He is the only kicker on the

roster for the Eagles, so hopefully an off-season of R and R has helped him recover his form.

Washington's John Hall has suffered through 2 injury plagued seasons with the Redskins - he could only appear in 10 games last year due to kicking leg problems (and only 8 games during 2004). Tyler Jones, a NFLE assignee for the Redskins, may push Hall for a roster spot.

Thanks I am slow and have a hard time sifting through things looking for what I want to read

barlow-jets

holt-ribs

chad Jackson-can't recall, missed alot of practice time though, a real lot this summer

derrick ward-injury+jacobs stellar play seems to have switched them from #2a and #2b to #2 and #3. He's still in a cast and begins running in a couple weeks

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but does anyone know where I can find just the PUP list for the season? I see players listed as PUP above, but some of those appear to be for training camp. My league has a spot that can be filled by IR players, but we're looking at expanding it to PUP players also. Yahoo doesn't seem to mark a player as PUP, so I need an external source to get the info. Thanks.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but does anyone know where I can find just the PUP list for the season? I see players listed as PUP above, but some of those appear to be for training camp. My league has a spot that can be filled by IR players, but we're looking at expanding it to PUP players also. Yahoo doesn't seem to mark a player as PUP, so I need an external source to get the info. Thanks.
transactions page at NFL.com USAToday or ESPNIt's run like a waiver, on the waiver wireTry via google then just look for that date's transactions

Bri said:
transactions page at NFL.com USAToday or ESPNIt's run like a waiver, on the waiver wireTry via google then just look for that date's transactions
I tried NFL.com, but it still shows last year's injuries. I've looked at other sites too, and I'm noticing some list players as PUP, and other sites list them as injured. I've seen Faulk listed as IR, PUP, even Probable! I was hoping for a definitive "this guy's on PUP, and won't be back for 6 weeks", or "this guy is IR and is out". As long as NFL.com shows it when the season starts, it should be OK, I was just hoping for something before the season started.

kickers? the list seems to miss a part, isn't?
Yes, the board was truncating the injury post 1/2 through the kicker section. I have edited it into the 2nd post on the string by the Mollusk so that the report stays contiguous.

Great!!! The reports concerning Vinatieri's foot are precious for me at this time, so thank you!!

Domanick Davis is on IR and won't play during 2006.

Done to here. Had to compress the TE section to make it all fit in the alloted space.

transactions page at NFL.com USAToday or ESPNIt's run like a waiver, on the waiver wire

Try via google then just look for that date's transactions
I tried NFL.com, but it still shows last year's injuries. I've looked at other sites too, and I'm noticing some list players as PUP, and other sites list them as injured. I've seen Faulk listed as IR, PUP, even Probable! I was hoping for a definitive "this guy's on PUP, and won't be back for 6 weeks", or "this guy is IR and is out". As long as NFL.com shows it when the season starts, it should be OK, I was just hoping for something before the season started.
sorry but it involves a small degree of searchinghttp://news.google.com/news?hl=en&lr=&...sa=N&tab=wn

try above, and enter: player name PUP for better results. If it's a reputable news source, your commish should be OK with it IMO especially if it winds up being the teams website or nfl.com

Users who are viewing this thread