What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Xavier Legette, CAR (1 Viewer)

Feels boom or bust. I don't want anything to do with this flaming bag of dog poo of a franchise, so someone else will own Legette in my leagues, unless I can get him after 1.9 or so.

There IS a bunch of negatives, but he did look that good this year, and has WR1 physical assets.
Would have to be much later than that.

Feels boom or bust. I don't want anything to do with this flaming bag of dog poo of a franchise, so someone else will own Legette in my leagues, unless I can get him after 1.9 or so.

There IS a bunch of negatives, but he did look that good this year, and has WR1 physical assets.
I agree. Not 1st Round material (and this from a Gamecock fan). He has multiple flaws but somewhere they must have done the "could he be Metcalf 2.0" comparison and came away with a positive feel on that potential. Yeah, it is possible, but remote at best.
Why trade up to #32 for a player who would have been available for your #39 pick??
Not sure having Dionte Johnson in the same locker room will be good for this kid. "Aged Adam" Theilman can only mentor so much and if Dionte gets with him, the kid is not going to develop.
5th year option. They knew they wanted him.

People taking Legettie also believe in the head coach, Dave Canales. He ran a good offense in Tampa and worked with DK with the Seahawks. He is a good value in the draft, depending on where he is selected. In my 1 QB .5 ppr league, he went 2.1 with Pearsall and AD Mitchell still on the board. I'm not sure what that means, but it seems those three are around each other in drafts I have seen.

People taking Legettie also believe in the head coach, Dave Canales. He ran a good offense in Tampa and worked with DK with the Seahawks. He is a good value in the draft, depending on where he is selected. In my 1 QB .5 ppr league, he went 2.1 with Pearsall and AD Mitchell still on the board. I'm not sure what that means, but it seems those three are around each other in drafts I have seen.
Yeah, those 3 WRs are connected at the hip in my 2 rookie drafts so far. My guess is that Legette went before the other 2 because of a clearer short term path to starting.

I just passed on him 5 times between picks 2.06 and 3.05 (2 QB, 12 Team) and he finally went 3.07. Took Polk, Burton, Baker, Sinnot, and McCaffrey over him. Zero interest. He's an old prospect, did nothing for 4 years, there are questions about his intelligence by scouts, bottom left quadrant in just about every chart, and he was drafted to one of the worst run franchises in sports.

Yeah, those 3 WRs are connected at the hip in my 2 rookie drafts so far. My guess is that Legette went before the other 2 because of a clearer short term path to starting.

Agree and collectively they comprise my bust category. Pearsall I actually don’t mind too much but don’t like the situation. The other two, just simply fading the player. Both are DND for me.

I see a Cordarrelle Patterson type of career. I don't see the separation I'd expect of someone with his measurables. Doesn't seem to have any suddenness. When he gets up to speed, he is really fast. Like Patterson, I think he is probably better served as a downhill runner. Maybe it won't take 10 years for him to get there.

In one of my 1QB drafts I had 1.01 and 3.05 as my only picks. Landed MHJ of course and Legette fell to 3.05. Shocked when he did but at that costs he’s the best dart throw I could have wished for. Outside of Diontae there are targets to be earned. Hoping he can earn em.

In one of my 1QB drafts I had 1.01 and 3.05 as my only picks. Landed MHJ of course and Legette fell to 3.05. Shocked when he did but at that costs he’s the best dart throw I could have wished for. Outside of Diontae there are targets to be earned. Hoping he can earn em.
That’s a no-brainer pick that late.

He’s definitely being under-valued in drafts, regardless of how you feel about the profile.

That’s a no-brainer pick that late.

He’s definitely being under-valued in drafts, regardless of how you feel about the profile.
Yeah in round 3, it's worth the shot no matter what you think of the player. I view like a Kadarius Tony from a few years ago. I did not like the player at all but most people didn't so eventually he became worth a the gamble. And if you acted at the right time, you could have gotten a nice profit on him.

“ Panthers rookie first-round wide receiver Xavier Legette, who was taken 32nd overall in this year's NFL draft last month, has had trouble connecting with the team's rookie quarterbacks so far in rookie minicamp practices. Legette has always had the size-speed combination -- his 4.39-second 40-yard dash tied for the sixth-fastest among wideouts at this year's scouting combine -- but he kept hearing that he had to improve as a route-runner as he took part in Senior Bowl practices and the combine. At 6-foot-1, 221 pounds, some questioned Legette's ability to drop his hips and quickly get out of his breaks. Legette has been compared physically to DK Metcalf, who Panthers head coach Dave Canales worked with in Seattle. At the very least, Legette will give second-year QB Bryce Young a speed, big-bodied target deep down the field in 2024, but expecting much more than that might be unwise in 2024.--Keith Hernandez - RotoBaller

Ya think?

Who are these “rookie quarterbacks” and why would one assume that them “having trouble connecting” is Legette’s fault? It didn’t say he’s been running terrible routes or dropping passes, does it? Are any of these quarterbacks even going to make make the team? Unless there is more to the story, this seems like a nothing burger. Maybe he’s just too damn fast for these hacks!

🏃🏿‍♂️💨💨

Who are these “rookie quarterbacks”
This is what I thought, and just thought the idea of a "rookie minicamp" was a foreign thing to me. A whole portion of minicamp with only the rookies? Some teams only have 4 or 5 rookies some years.
There's always a rookie mini camp, usually a few weeks+ before OTAs start for the entire team.

Some teams may only have a few draft picks, but they'll have a dozen+ UDFAs, and I believe 2nd year/practice squad guys are considered part of this group as well. Pretty sure most teams are rolling these camps out with 20+ players.

Last edited:
Who are these “rookie quarterbacks”
This is what I thought, and just thought the idea of a "rookie minicamp" was a foreign thing to me. A whole portion of minicamp with only the rookies? Some teams only have 4 or 5 rookies some years.
There's always a rookie mini camp, usually a few weeks+ before OTAs start for the entire time.

Some teams may only have a few draft picks, but they'll have a dozen+ UDFAs, and I believe 2nd year/practice squad guys are considered part of this group as well. Pretty sure most teams are rolling these camps out with 20+ players.
Oh yeah, that makes sense. I guess @SayWhat? 's point still stands, as in just who exactly are these QB's that are with the rookies and might it be more their problem than Legette's. Not saying that it is, but it could be either way or both.

He is going more in the second round in one-quarterback leagues. I'm not sure what rookies are available in the leagues you play in, but Legette is as good a prospect as the players I'm seeing in that range. As far as the rookie camp is concerned, it is day one, and the quarterbacks throwing him the ball will not see guys that big move like he moves. It's rookie camp, fellas. Let's not label the kid as a bust just yet. Pearsall reports were also not so good, but I think that is premature, too. He is a big man, though. I watched the presser for the Panthers yesterday, and he is just a massive man. And if he does run a 4.39 and Young can find him, he could be a matchup nightmare. The offensive scheme matters, and I think Canales has a plan for how they want to insert him into the offense. He can hybridize WR routes, and his versatility could be unique in the Canales offense. He is not Jonathan Mingo; this is not Thomas Brown's offense.

He is going more in the second round in one-quarterback leagues. I'm not sure what rookies are available in the leagues you play in, but Legette is as good a prospect as the players I'm seeing in that range. As far as the rookie camp is concerned, it is day one, and the quarterbacks throwing him the ball will not see guys that big move like he moves. It's rookie camp, fellas. Let's not label the kid as a bust just yet. Pearsall reports were also not so good, but I think that is premature, too. He is a big man, though. I watched the presser for the Panthers yesterday, and he is just a massive man. And if he does run a 4.39 and Young can find him, he could be a matchup nightmare. The offensive scheme matters, and I think Canales has a plan for how they want to insert him into the offense. He can hybridize WR routes, and his versatility could be unique in the Canales offense. He is not Jonathan Mingo; this is not Thomas Brown's offense.
Glass is half way full until it isn’t. His route running / raw warts are real. They drafted one of those last year. I’m not sure why they did that again.

He's gone 14, 13, 16, and 13 in my drafts, he's not being under-valued.
Was obviously referring to the poster’s draft above where he fell to the 3rd round…
:shrug:Didn't think it was that obvious when you said "drafts" in a general sense and in a separate sentence from referring to the OP's value.

Glass is half way full until it isn’t. His route running / raw warts are real. They drafted one of those last year. I’m not sure why they did that again.
Because they didn't, they have a completely different front office and coaching staff. They have a similar body type and profile, but Mingo has never had a season like XL's. In my opinion—and this is just an opinion—Canales's offense seems to better fit a player like XL. I would not write off Mingo; the kid was a rookie, but this staff has no ties to him. He can move inside with AT and have a role. I'm sure they did not sit in draft meetings and say hey, let's get the kid that comps exactly like Mingo. I think they see Mingo in a different role, more a big slot and XL on the outside, but an overall weapon. If they are smart, and I think Canales is smart, they will move XL around, scheme him up, and let his size and speed do much of the work. If I have a concern, it is with the quarterback.

Last edited:
Because they didn't, they have a completely different front office and coaching staff. They have a similar body type and profile, but Mingo has never had a season like XL's. In my opinion—and this is just an opinion—Canales's offense seems to better fit a player like XL. I would not write off Mingo; the kid was a rookie, but this staff has no ties to him. He can move inside with AT and have a role. I'm sure they did not sit in draft meetings and say hey, let's get the kid that comps exactly like Mingo. I think they see Mingo in a different role, more a big slot and XL on the outside, but an overall weapon. If they are smart, and I think Canales is smart, they will move XL around, scheme him up, and let his size and speed do much of the work. If I have a concern, it is with the quarterback.
Still has to get open and catch the foootball

My overall sese is that there have been a lot of guys come out in the past few years that have the measurables to be impact players that are also very limited in terms of their route running and ability to win on the outside and against man or press coverage. Rashee Rice and maybe DK Metcalf are the best success stories of the bunch and for different reasons obviously- and very specific conditions- Coach/QB tandems that had a good plan and underlying ability to deliver the ball to them and execute. Pre cover-2 Russ and Mahomes/Reid's creativity- not something every team has.

Teams can't seem to resist the desire to make guys that look like X receivers into X receiver projects- when the value add proposition is just to move them around and / or manufacture touches for them. The list of failed X projects is long. I'm sure they each have different reasons for failing (cough cough out of shape Burks)- but it seems like this is a trap that a lot of teams fall into. When filling the void for a slot receiver is a much simpler task with a typical small slot, teams can't seem to resist the wish to swing for the fences with a guy that seems like he'll unlock the ceiling of their offense.

The hypothesis is that Canales is smart (seems solid thinking for now) and that somehow, Bryce will be able to execute some smart game plan (current evidence= dubious) and that Legette will be able to grow- when it took 5 years of college for his team to think he was worth throwing the ball to (meh)- seems like a lot of pathways to failure.

Panthers first-round WR Xavier Legette admits coaches told him during the pre-draft process he needed to improve his route running.
“I feel like the coaches kind of thought the same thing, as well,” Legette said of what was a popular scouting observation. “So I feel like that was important. I put emphasis on making that happen and being able to show them that I could do that through the process.” Legette also admitted some have nitpicked his ability to get in and out of his breaks, but he believes it’s because of his bigger size. “A lot of folks say a lot of bigger guys can’t get in and out of their breaks. But I’m gonna show them (otherwise).” Already 23 years old, Legette is going to have to clean up his game in a hurry at the highest level.

My overall sese is that there have been a lot of guys come out in the past few years that have the measurables to be impact players that are also very limited in terms of their route running and ability to win on the outside and against man or press coverage. Rashee Rice and maybe DK Metcalf are the best success stories of the bunch and for different reasons obviously- and very specific conditions- Coach/QB tandems that had a good plan and underlying ability to deliver the ball to them and execute. Pre cover-2 Russ and Mahomes/Reid's creativity- not something every team has.

Teams can't seem to resist the desire to make guys that look like X receivers into X receiver projects- when the value add proposition is just to move them around and / or manufacture touches for them. The list of failed X projects is long. I'm sure they each have different reasons for failing (cough cough out of shape Burks)- but it seems like this is a trap that a lot of teams fall into. When filling the void for a slot receiver is a much simpler task with a typical small slot, teams can't seem to resist the wish to swing for the fences with a guy that seems like he'll unlock the ceiling of their offense.

The hypothesis is that Canales is smart (seems solid thinking for now) and that somehow, Bryce will be able to execute some smart game plan (current evidence= dubious) and that Legette will be able to grow- when it took 5 years of college for his team to think he was worth throwing the ball to (meh)- seems like a lot of pathways to failure.
It's a fair argument. If he falls into the second round of rookie drafts, I think he is a solid prospect in that window. For real NFL football, only time will tell. I find value in what he can do, and you have to have some trust in your staff. Men his size should not be able to move as he moves with the speed he moves with. I think Canale's offense and background are worth taking a shot within the range in which XL can fall. I have concerns with the late breakout, but he has some background that could have been an issue for him. Both his parents passed away, and the whole covid thing, but still, it is a valid concern. I'm willing to take a chance on him anywhere in the 2nd round in 1 QB rookie drafts.

Users who are viewing this thread