What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your top 10 TV shows of all time (1 Viewer)

Breaking bad

sopranos

wire

mad men

seinfeld

simpsons

curb

arrested development

Snl

law and order (the original only)

edit: honorable mention

larry sanders

homicide

freaks and geeks

wonder years

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend the book "The Revolution Was Televised" by Alan Sepinwall to the folks posting in this thread.  Each chapter talks through the creation and history of a different TV drama that revolutionized the industry.

"These are the subjects of 12 shows that started a revolution in TV drama: The Sopranos. Oz. The Wire. Deadwood. The Shield. Lost. Buffy the Vampire Slayer. 24. Battlestar Galactica. Friday Night Lights. Mad Men. Breaking Bad."

In no particular order:

Breaking Bad

The Wire

Game of Thrones

The Sopranos

Battlestar Galactica

Seinfeld

Arrested Development

The Simpsons

The Adam West Batman

Fargo 

Wire

Breaking Bad

Sopranos

Simpsons (Early years)

Arrested Development

Ben Stiller Show

Game of Thrones

Seinfeld

South Park

30 Rock

Just Missed: Justified, Fargo, Chapelle Show, Magnum PI, Lost, Deadwood

Eastbound and Down 

Dukes of Hazzard

The Wonder Years 

Trailerpark Boys 

Modern Family 

Walker Texas Ranger

The Walking Dead 

Magnum PI

Dallas

Gilligan's Island

Three's Company

Cheers

Seinfeld

The Sopranos

Breaking Bad

The Wire

Sale Of The Century

The West Wing

WKRP in Cincinnati

Saturday Night Live

Cheers

Married with Children

All in the Family

South Park

The Sopranos

Band of Brothers

Mythbusters

Breaking Bad

Dr. Who

• The Wire
  • Fargo
  • Breaking Bad
  • Band of Brothers / The Pacific
  • Planet Earth and successor Attenborough-narrated series 
  • Stranger Things
  • Seinfeld
  • 30 Rock
  • Archer
  • Simpsons
  • Bonus: Most Extreme Elimination Challenge - never laughed at anything as hard as the first few episodes I saw of this.
Can we call the Marvel Defenders a series?  Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage?  If so, bump out Stranger Things.

1. The Twilight Zone
  2. M*A*S*H
  3. The Office
  4. Breaking Bad
  5. The Walking Dead
  6. How I Met Your Mother
  7. All In the Family
  8. Barney Miller
  9. Andy Griffith Show
  10. Dukes of Hazzard

One thing I do find interesting is the placement of shows that have a limited sample size being on people's lists.  Fargo, Stranger Things, Westworld, etc..

One thing I do find interesting is the placement of shows that have a limited sample size being on people's lists.  Fargo, Stranger Things, Westworld, etc..
I'd rather enjoy 10 hours of a great show than watch infinite hours of CSI.

You have a good point but I just think that fargo is simply that good. 

• Bonus: Most Extreme Elimination Challenge - never laughed at anything as hard as the first few episodes I saw of this.
:thumbup:  One of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Years ago I bought the first season on DVD as a gift for my brother. I just looked on Amazon and each season is now selling for $70 used?! Damn I'd love to see it again but I guess I won't be buying a copy for myself.

I'd rather enjoy 10 hours of a great show than watch infinite hours of CSI.
Fair enough, I just found it interesting.   I just need more of a sample size to put it in my favorites of all time personally.  Too many shows have tailed off after a good start for me - Walking Dead comes to mind. 

In no specific order

The Wire

Mad Men

Parks and Rec

Arrested Development

Chuck

Shameless

Downton Abbey

It's Always Sunny 

Sherlock

The Simpsons

In no particular order:

Shark Tank

Law and Order

Family Guy

Chappelle show

Pawn Stars

60 minutes

Forged in Fire

Get Smart

Criminal Minds (quality fell off after like the first 4-5 seasons)

Mythbusters (again--absolutely obsessed with it the first few seasons)
I like how others have mentioned the "just missed the cut" shows--so I figure I'd go ahead and do the same to my list:

SNL, House, Politically Incorrect, Forensic Files, and the series of shows called something to the effect of biker build offs. 

:thumbup:  One of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Years ago I bought the first season on DVD as a gift for my brother. I just looked on Amazon and each season is now selling for $70 used?! Damn I'd love to see it again but I guess I won't be buying a copy for myself.
available on HuLu or Netflix .... whichever one i can't recall off top of my head right now, but it's out there, and i believe 5 seasons worth of it, to boot.

as the Captain would say "LET'S GO!"

Random order:

Sopranos

Six Feet Under

I love Lucy

Seinfeld

Curb 

Mary Tyler Moore Show

Chappelle Show

All in the Family

Cheers

Mr Robot

Ok I have a tough time with this one but here goes:

All in the Family

Seinfeld

MASH

WKRP

Cheers

Columbo

Rockford Files

Two 1/2 Men (only until Sheen leaves.  Have not watched one episode with Kutcher)

Carol Burnett

Honeymooners

Honorable Mention:  60 Minutes, 48 Hours, Dateline, Frontline, SNL (the early years, Im an old ####)

There are probably several more that I cant recall at the moment.
Very close to what I would put down -- adding in Happy Days and Mary Tyler Moore  -- HM -- Partridge Family -- heh Dark Shadows

Six Feet Under

The Wire

The Sopranos

Breaking Bad

The West Wing (*Sorkin years only)

Mad Men

MASH

Curb/Seinfeld

Game of Thrones

Justified

Note: four episodes into Rectify and that might eventually end up on the list.

Fair enough, I just found it interesting.   I just need more of a sample size to put it in my favorites of all time personally.  Too many shows have tailed off after a good start for me - Walking Dead comes to mind. 
Good point. Walking Dead had a tremendous first season (was only like 6 episodes) but it quickly turned into absolute trash. That could be a whole thread of it's own, shows that started great and tanked quick. Think Minnesota Vikings 2016 season. 

Fair enough, I just found it interesting.   I just need more of a sample size to put it in my favorites of all time personally.  Too many shows have tailed off after a good start for me - Walking Dead comes to mind
By tailed off you mean sucked after the pilot, right? "He talked about the DEAR, Laurie!!"

The pilot was an all-timer.

Agreed. 

I loved the first season of Stranger Things, but I can't imagine putting it that high already.  It'd be like calling a band one of my favorites when all they have released is a great debut record. 

Mash

Fraiser

Star Trek: Next Generation

Fawlty Towers

Taxi

Breaking Bad

The Wire

Daredevil

Seinfeld

Archer

if it were the "10 best" instead "my top 10" TV shows i would have made two entries - Lonesome Dove and Angels in America - with even less eps than those.

There are shows which I haven't watched yet but hope to one day, like The Wire.  I left out some which were great in the first 1 or 2 seasons but then I stopped watching, like Twin Peaks and ER.

Tops on my list, In chronological order:
I Love Lucy (1951-57)
The Twilight Zone (1959-64)
Seinfeld (1989-98)
The Simpsons (1989-)
The Sopranos (1999-07)
Planet Earth (2006,16)
Breaking Bad (2008-13)
Game of Thrones (2011-)

Honorable mentions:
M*A*S*H (1972-83)
X-Files (1993-02)
Sex and the City (1998-04)
Curb Your Enthusiasm (2000-)
30 Rock (2006-13)
Mad Men (2007-15)
Sherlock (2010-)

By tailed off you mean sucked after the pilot, right? "He talked about the DEAR, Laurie!!"

The pilot was an all-timer.
I gave it a little bit longer, but never thought it was fantastic.  I think I slowly got through Season 3. 

I thought the first Episode or two was great, and really wished they went back to the concept of the zombies creeping around and having a bit of a memory.  It was just a little idea that I found incredibly unsettling at the start with the wife hovering around the house.  Then we get to Mexican gang bangers in the Nursing Home or whatever the #### that was a few episodes later and I knew I was in trouble. 

I am sure I have watched worse for longer *cough* True Blood *cough*, but had to bail on Walking Dead. 

I think one factor here is the type of show.  Stranger Things's first season told a complete story.  Fargo's two seasons are self-contained.  All three of these felt like 10 hour movies.  On the contrary, Walking Dead never has a resolution.  If Fargo stinks in season 3, that's fine - it doesn't hurt the first two seasons.  If Walking Dead stinks in season 3, it's still part of the same story as seasons 1 and 2.

Good call both in my top 20.

How the hell dies a person love TPB & a show likec90210?? Can't wrap my head around it
Age.  We were 14 when 90210 was on.  Now we have kids, jobs, wives, and mortgages.  We're hardly the same people.

I recommend the book "The Revolution Was Televised" by Alan Sepinwall to the folks posting in this thread.  Each chapter talks through the creation and history of a different TV drama that revolutionized the industry.

"These are the subjects of 12 shows that started a revolution in TV drama: The Sopranos. Oz. The Wire. Deadwood. The Shield. Lost. Buffy the Vampire Slayer. 24. Battlestar Galactica. Friday Night Lights. Mad Men. Breaking Bad."
This was a great read.

10. Battlestar Galatica (2000s version)

9. 24

8. Sex and the City

7. The Newsroom

6. Lost

5. The Practice

4. Friday Night Lights

3. Breaking Bad

2. Game of Thrones

1. The West Wing

In no particular order:

Seinfeld

Cheers

Psych

Friends

Lost

Quantum Leap

CSI (the original was really different than all other shows and spawned a bunch of copycats - and not just the actual CSI take offs)

Law & Order (original)

House

Tru Calling (guilty pleasure - liked the premise and then it ended abruptly)

The Wire

Venture Brothers

Dave Chappelle Show

Archer

Battlestar Galactica (2k)

X-Files

Twin Peaks

Cowboy Bebop

Star Trek TOS

Honorable mention: True Detective Season 1

Prison Break

Seinfeld

Curb

Stargate SG1

Fringe

Quantum Leap

Andy Griffith (until Barney left)

Dexter

Sopranos

John From Cincinnati (Only lasted 1 season) 

Users who are viewing this thread