What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Whiskey (1 Viewer)

What do you suggest?

• Knob Creek

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Maker's Mark

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Jack Daniels

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Wild Turkey

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Van Winkle

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Blanton

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 27.8%

• Total voters

Pole Cat

Footballguy
Got into whiskey big time while at a Kentucky wedding last summer. Looking to branch out from JD and Wild Turkey (Russel's Reserve). Picked up a bottle of Knob's Creek this evening.

I'd vote, but I can never remember which one I'm drinking when I'm drinking the good stuff. Know wadda mean? :suds:

"Nectar of the gods" is a tautology.

"Nectar" is, by definition, "the drink of the gods".

You're welcome!

:banned:

No vote, brandy man here, but "nectar of the god's" reminds me of my old man and how he turned me into the brandy drunk I am today :bag:

Edit to add, lately its been dubbed "candy water"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Best bourbon? I've only had the first four on your list, and I'd have to go with Maker's Mark. But it can be too sweet and smooth sometimes with not enough flavor, to be honest. I keep meaning to try some Bookers, Blantons, etc., but I've focused more on beer lately.

I've tried all on the list and Blantons is definitely the best of your choices. I haven't tried it head to head with Bookers or Basil Hayden, but it is definitely a top notch bourbon. I recently brought a bottle to a party and it received high praise from a number of bourbon drinkers.

Don't drink whiskey much, but for bourbon its usually Wild Turkey "Rare Breed".

Blantons is my favorite bourbon that I've sampled, and blows all the others listed in the poll away---it's more expensive, but worth every penny. Bookers and Basils give it a run for it's money, but Blantons still tops them.

Drank the Woodsford Reserve today, best bourbon I've ever tasted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:goodposting: :goodposting:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How does it compare to Pappy Van Winkle? I haven't tried either and was thinking about picking one of them up. Beverage Warehouse here has Pappy Van Winkle 15 year for $40 and Woodford Reserve for $28. They also have Woodford Reserve VIP for $31, is there much difference between the regular and VIP?

Drank the Woodsford Reserve today, best bourbon I've ever tasted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:goodposting: :goodposting:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How does it compare to Pappy Van Winkle? I haven't tried either and was thinking about picking one of them up. Beverage Warehouse here has Pappy Van Winkle 15 year for $40 and Woodford Reserve for $28. They also have Woodford Reserve VIP for $31, is there much difference between the regular and VIP?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woodford's a smokier, woody flavor, where Pappy Van Winke is more traditional. Both are good, but if you can get the Van Winkle Family Reserve (20, or even the limited run 23 years old) do it. The 15's not bad, either.Also may want to consider Henry McKenna's

Blantons is my favorite bourbon that I've sampled, and blows all the others listed in the poll away---it's more expensive, but worth every penny.  Bookers and Basils give it a run for it's money, but Blantons still tops them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see that you haven't even had a drink of the Van Winkles after this very wrong and very drunken statement. Blantons is good. I like Blantons. I even have it at my bar in the pool room BUT it will never compare to the Pappy Van Winkle. The 20 year old is a must for any good whiskey drinker.

Jack is the most overrated whiskey/bourbon out there.

Makers Rox!

Best Bang for buck is a ####ty WHISKY (not sure why it is spelled diff) is........ CANADIAN MIST!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Especially since they watered it down.Close call between Turkey and Maker's for me, but based on value mostly, I chose Turkey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Umm just have to ask. How are you two drinking your whiskey/bourbon?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Straight shots, sometimes in a liquer glass, but always with no ice.I'm hardcore. :boxing:

Edit: I should point out that I keep my liquer in the freezer, so it's never warm. :yucky:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Especially since they watered it down.Close call between Turkey and Maker's for me, but based on value mostly, I chose Turkey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Straight shots, sometimes in a liquer glass, but always with no ice.I'm hardcore. :boxing:

Edit: I should point out that I keep my liquer in the freezer, so it's never warm. :yucky:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good then. Fine whiskey should always be enjoyed neat except for fine scotch which is with a drop of spring water.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good then. Fine whiskey should always be enjoyed neat except for fine scotch which is with a drop of spring water.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does it really matter? If you are calling Jack a "fine" whiskey, you are WRONG! I drink my Mist with Coke (as it is sweet and smooth, unlike the bitterness of Jack). If I have the itch for a tasty whiskey I will go with Makers (though not top of the line, but smooth as hell). People water a $20 bottle of Jack down with coke and say it is the best whiskey. NOPE, get a 1.5L of Mist for $18 and enjoy the mixture.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does it really matter? If you are calling Jack a "fine" whiskey, you are WRONG! I drink my Mist with Coke (as it is sweet and smooth, unlike the bitterness of Jack). If I have the itch for a tasty whiskey I will go with Makers (though not top of the line, but smooth as hell). People water a $20 bottle of Jack down with coke and say it is the best whiskey. NOPE, get a 1.5L of Mist for $18 and enjoy the mixture.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's really to late to talk about this...but I will.If you are drinking your whiskey with coke then it doesn't matter what you are drinking. You are not enjoying the whiskey but have to childproof it down with the coke. Stay with your $18 Canadian Mist and Coke. Keep on believing it's a good whiskey. Someday you'll believe it.

Jack is not what I call good whiskey but my friends that do like it drink it on the rocks or a splash of water or neat. They appreciate the whiskey. If you have to add coke then that is like adding lime to beer. What are you hiding? If you're not hiding anything then why do you need to add coke? Because you can't drink it the way it was supposed to be? Add coke? Sure, go ahead. Next you'll want to tell me how good Corona is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's really to late to talk about this...but I will.If you are drinking your whiskey with coke then it doesn't matter what you are drinking. You are not enjoying the whiskey but have to childproof it down with the coke. Stay with your $18 Canadian Mist and Coke. Keep on believing it's a good whiskey. Someday you'll believe it.

Jack is not what I call good whiskey but my friends that do like it drink it on the rocks or a splash of water or neat. They appreciate the whiskey. If you have to add coke then that is like adding lime to beer. What are you hiding? If you're not hiding anything then why do you need to add coke? Because you can't drink it the way it was supposed to be? Add coke? Sure, go ahead. Next you'll want to tell me how good Corona is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About the only time I ever drink any liquer mixed with a soft drink is at a sports event. You really can't get away with chugging Wild Turkey at a ballgame, so it's best to mix it with a game-bought Coke in order to enjoy it. It makes the Coke better anyways. :D

Makers Rox!

Best Bang for buck is a ####ty WHISKY (not sure why it is spelled diff) is........ CANADIAN MIST!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This guy is wise about a great many things..Isn't this poll just about bourbon though?

I mean.. there are several types of whiskeys... canadian, bourbon, blended, scotch, etc?

Fellas! Rest of the world down?

I'm pretty sure any discussion of "best whisk(e)y" must include Scoth and Irish.

Real fans should check out anything from Springbank. And both Green Spot and Redbreast are mighty fine Irish pot stills.

Fellas!  Rest of the world down?

I'm pretty sure any discussion of "best whisk(e)y" must include Scoth and Irish.

Real fans should check out anything from Springbank.  And both Green Spot and Redbreast are mighty fine Irish pot stills.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like the Red BreastIn the scotch world I have my one true love: Lagavulin

Got into whiskey big time while at [SIZE=14pt]a Kentucky wedding[/SIZE] last summer. Looking to branch out from JD and Wild Turkey (Russel's Reserve).  Picked up a bottle of Knob's Creek this evening.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:eek: Were shotguns and corncob pipes involved?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best wedding I've ever been to. Stopped at the Wild Turkey distillery on the way into town. Three days on some lake in the middle of nowhere with great friends. :thumbup: For the record, I only mix Jack with Coke...and that's when I'm looking for a serious pick me up. I'm a caffeine whore.

Irish Whiskey fan here and my favorite is Powers.

I think my favorite bourban is Woodford Reserve.

I can't stand Jack Daniels and wouldn't even put in a list like this. I can't believe it is winning.

I think my favorite bourban is Woodfard Reserve. 

I can't stand Jack Daniels and wouldn't even put in a list like this.  I can't believe it is winning.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not enough people on this board can afford or have tasted Blanton or Pappy Van Winkle.The poll should be changed to "Most popular"

Where is the Bookers, Bakers, or Basil Hayden? Those are all better the Jack Daniels.

One thing. I have never had the Four Roses out of Kentucky. Anybody here tell me how it is?

I can't stand Jack Daniels and wouldn't even put in a list like this.  I can't believe it is winning.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not enough people on this board can afford or have tasted Blanton or Pappy Van Winkle.The poll should be changed to "Most popular"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have never had Pappy Van Winkle and I am going to have to try it. I do enjoy Blanton but I think I like Woodford a little better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have never had Pappy Van Winkle and I am going to have to try it. I do enjoy Blanton but I think I like Woodford a little better.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Start with the 15 year old. Good snacky stuffWhen you want to drop some coin get yourself a bottle of the 20 year old. You won't be sorry you did.

I think my favorite bourban is Woodfard Reserve. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where is the Bookers, Bakers, or Basil Hayden? Those are all better the Jack Daniels.

One thing. I have never had the Four Roses out of Kentucky. Anybody here tell me how it is?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very true. I can't imagine anybody prefering JD or Maker's over PVW.I've always considered Maker's to be a slightly smoother version of Jim Beam, which in turn tastes much like Old Grandad and Ezra Brooks. I'll bet in a blind taste test, few people could accurately identify each one of the four.

Users who are viewing this thread