What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Iran -- Deal Reached! (1 Viewer)

higgins

Footballguy
A few years ago, I read an article from The Atlantic that questioned whether the costs of the US striking the Iranian nuclear program would be worth the risks considering that the program may not be set back enough to justify the costs. That article certainly left an impression in my mind that the US really making those strikes may not be good policy.

Now I've just read a new article from The Atlantic ('The Point of No Return') that makes me wonder if this isn't an inevitability within the next half year (by the US or, specifically, Israel).

No, this isn't the standard periodic saber rattling by whomever -- this article goes over much food for thought from various points of view, and the thunder clouds do seem to be looming if things keep going on their present course.

It's a long (but interesting) article, and I was just curious on on others' thoughts on it in general or certain sections.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see no problem with going in there and removing the current regime, and anyone who aligns themselves with said regime. Geographically it's one of the best places to sow the seeds of democracy and freedom. I'm on board.

A few years ago, I read an article from The Atlantic that questioned whether the costs of the US striking the Iranian nuclear program would be worth the risks considering that the program may not be set back enough to justify the costs. That article certainly left an impression in my mind that the US really making those strikes may not be good policy.

Now I've just read a new article from The Atlantic ('The Point of No Return') that makes me wonder if this isn't an inevitability within the next half year (by the US or, specifically, Israel).

No, this isn't the standard periodic saber rattling by whomever -- this article goes over much food for thought from various points of view, and the thunder clouds do seem to be looming if things keep going on their present course.

It's a long (but interesting) article, and I was just curious on on others' thoughts on it in general or certain sections.
No blood for oil... :goodposting:

No blood for oil... :loco:
Why not?

I see no problem with going in there and removing the current regime, and anyone who aligns themselves with said regime. Geographically it's one of the best places to sow the seeds of democracy and freedom. I'm on board.
Me too, what could go wrong?

Me too, what could go wrong?
I don't think the Green reformers are necessarily pro-US or pro-Israel. It's largely a civil rights movement. While I think it's appropriate for the US to support the reform movement, they have to be very subtle about it. It could easily backfire.Similarly, US aggression, even in the form of economic sanctions could strengthen the position of the hard liners at least temporarily. I think military action if it happens, would have to come from the Israelis with or without the tacit approval of Washington.

No blood for oil... :rolleyes:
Why not?
I used to like that, now i dont.... :confused:

From the article...

IT IS POSSIBLE that at some point in the next 12 months, the imposition of devastating economic sanctions on the Islamic Republic of Iran will persuade its leaders to cease their pursuit of nuclear weapons. -- Doubtful

It is also possible that Iran’s reform-minded Green Movement will somehow replace the mullah-led regime -- Doubtful

Or at least discover the means to temper the regime’s ideological extremism. -- Doubtful

It is possible, as well, that “foiling operations” conducted by the intelligence agencies of Israel, the United States, Great Britain, and other Western powers—programs designed to subvert the Iranian nuclear effort through sabotage and, on occasion, the carefully engineered disappearances of nuclear scientists—will have hindered Iran’s progress in some significant way. -- Questionable

It is also possible that President Obama, who has said on more than a few occasions that he finds the prospect of a nuclear Iran “unacceptable,” will order a military strike against the country’s main weapons and uranium-enrichment facilities. -- Questionable

What is certain, however, is that we already have an Iran plan in place should we strike. We've had one ready for sometime...

U.S. 'Iran Attack Plans' Revealed (February 2007, BBC)

... it seems like we're past that trigger point. That was a previous administration, though.

From the article...

IT IS POSSIBLE that at some point in the next 12 months, the imposition of devastating economic sanctions on the Islamic Republic of Iran will persuade its leaders to cease their pursuit of nuclear weapons. -- Doubtful

It is also possible that Iran’s reform-minded Green Movement will somehow replace the mullah-led regime -- Doubtful

Or at least discover the means to temper the regime’s ideological extremism. -- Doubtful

It is possible, as well, that “foiling operations” conducted by the intelligence agencies of Israel, the United States, Great Britain, and other Western powers—programs designed to subvert the Iranian nuclear effort through sabotage and, on occasion, the carefully engineered disappearances of nuclear scientists—will have hindered Iran’s progress in some significant way. -- Questionable

It is also possible that President Obama, who has said on more than a few occasions that he finds the prospect of a nuclear Iran “unacceptable,” will order a military strike against the country’s main weapons and uranium-enrichment facilities. -- Questionable

What is certain, however, is that we already have an Iran plan in place should we strike. We've had one ready for sometime...

U.S. 'Iran Attack Plans' Revealed (February 2007, BBC)

... it seems like we're past that trigger point. That was a previous administration, though.
I dont see Obama launching any missiles against his brethren. Although i would love to see my tacamo boys get busy!! :banned:

I don't think the Green reformers are necessarily pro-US or pro-Israel. It's largely a civil rights movement. While I think it's appropriate for the US to support the reform movement, they have to be very subtle about it. It could easily backfire.Similarly, US aggression, even in the form of economic sanctions could strengthen the position of the hard liners at least temporarily. I think military action if it happens, would have to come from the Israelis with or without the tacit approval of Washington.
:banned: This is at the very least, the most reasonable and cogent response based on history, what we know about the struggles inside the country and the current regime. People also discount Iran's isolationism, something they've been very good at for centuries. They are not particularly fond of any of their neighbors, the mullahs and their mouthpiece Ahmadinejad can only manage the situation within so long and the Iranian people have always been resolute in their individual freedom. It is not Saudi Arabia, the NW Frontier Province or Kuwait. The last time Iranians were subjected to an overbearing and diabolical regime they fought through it and rose up during the Islamic Revolution. People seem to think the revolution was some sort of anti-American movement, it was a movement against one of the most oppressive regimes in modern times. We will not attack Iran, and for the record we develop battle scenarios for almost every country in the world friend or foe. Of course we know how to attack Iran, and we certainly have the firepower to get it done. But we've already committed too much time and resources in the region and this is not our fight. If you think Pakistan or Saudi Arabia is comfortable with a nuclear capable Iran, you are mistaken. It's not just Israel that has something to lose and the Saudis are right behind Israel and us on the Iranian governments hit list. But this is also to suggest Iran would do something rash, which is not the case. Iran wants nuclear weapons as a bargaining chip and as a matter of survival in their minds, right or wrong. Pakistan has the weapon, and a lot less internal stability than Iran. Russia has thousands and thousands of them, and they don't think much of their security up there based on some reports I've read. North Korea has them, talk about an unstable country. At some point that country is going to implode, it will be almost overnight and it will all be over. Iran? Iran will gradually gravitate to the current world order, because it is something they have always done. It and Pakistan are the most important Muslim nations, and they have been for some time based on culture, charisma, world events, transformation and will. Neither should be underestimated or disregarded. They should be watched, but when there is an opportunity for diplomatic discourse then we should go that route with Iran. For the time being we have to wait it out because we simply do not have the leverage to attack another sovereign nation. We spent our paycheck in Iraq, and will be paying for that for many years to come. What will have to come from a free and democratic (Islamic style) Iraq is an indirect relationship with Iran. I think we had hoped for that after invading Iraq but it never surfaced because we had the clumsy and inept Bush administration, and they had the hot dog eating mullahs. Some day this will change, and I think that day is closer than people think. :lmao:

We're already over there doing things the right way.
Diplomatic relations? Community relations? Special ops?
Those Kardashian girls are Iranian, how about sexual relations?
I thought they were Armenian? Whereby Armenia included parts of what is now Iran, but also other countries. Whatever. 2 of the 3 are hot as ####.
Was just going to type that and this popped up when I hit reply. Love me some Kardashian.

:excited: This is at the very least, the most reasonable and cogent response based on history, what we know about the struggles inside the country and the current regime. People also discount Iran's isolationism, something they've been very good at for centuries. They are not particularly fond of any of their neighbors, the mullahs and their mouthpiece Ahmadinejad can only manage the situation within so long and the Iranian people have always been resolute in their individual freedom. It is not Saudi Arabia, the NW Frontier Province or Kuwait. The last time Iranians were subjected to an overbearing and diabolical regime they fought through it and rose up during the Islamic Revolution. People seem to think the revolution was some sort of anti-American movement, it was a movement against one of the most oppressive regimes in modern times. We will not attack Iran, and for the record we develop battle scenarios for almost every country in the world friend or foe. Of course we know how to attack Iran, and we certainly have the firepower to get it done. But we've already committed too much time and resources in the region and this is not our fight. If you think Pakistan or Saudi Arabia is comfortable with a nuclear capable Iran, you are mistaken. It's not just Israel that has something to lose and the Saudis are right behind Israel and us on the Iranian governments hit list. But this is also to suggest Iran would do something rash, which is not the case. Iran wants nuclear weapons as a bargaining chip and as a matter of survival in their minds, right or wrong. Pakistan has the weapon, and a lot less internal stability than Iran. Russia has thousands and thousands of them, and they don't think much of their security up there based on some reports I've read. North Korea has them, talk about an unstable country. At some point that country is going to implode, it will be almost overnight and it will all be over. Iran? Iran will gradually gravitate to the current world order, because it is something they have always done. It and Pakistan are the most important Muslim nations, and they have been for some time based on culture, charisma, world events, transformation and will. Neither should be underestimated or disregarded. They should be watched, but when there is an opportunity for diplomatic discourse then we should go that route with Iran. For the time being we have to wait it out because we simply do not have the leverage to attack another sovereign nation. We spent our paycheck in Iraq, and will be paying for that for many years to come. What will have to come from a free and democratic (Islamic style) Iraq is an indirect relationship with Iran. I think we had hoped for that after invading Iraq but it never surfaced because we had the clumsy and inept Bush administration, and they had the hot dog eating mullahs. Some day this will change, and I think that day is closer than people think. :unsure:
It wasn't that long ago that people were saying that Iran couldn't possibly develop nucllear weapons. I'm a bit skeptical of our intelligence regarding Iran, and our assessment of their internal politics.

A nuclear Iran would be bad, mainly because it would cause nations like Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Egypt to build a bomb. But a war against Iran would be absolutely catastrophic for the region. And sadly I feel things sliding that way, as the half-hearted containment of Iran produces no results and if the US gets a hawkish President.

You mean offering to sit down and have a beer with them, and then heaping devastating economic sanctions on them hasn't stopped Iran dead it its nuclear tracks?

How is that possible?

A nuclear Iran would be bad, mainly because it would cause nations like Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Egypt to build a bomb. But a war against Iran would be absolutely catastrophic for the region. And sadly I feel things sliding that way, as the half-hearted containment of Iran produces no results and if the US gets a hawkish President.
A nuclear Iran would be bad in that they would feel no compunction whatsoever from dumping a nuclear weapon into Israel's lap even knowing the potential losses to their country from nuclear retaliation.I'm not sure why people want to underestimate such a wholly dedicated radical theocratic government.

I read the Atlantic article last month. Among the scarier things I've read in a while, and it makes a convincing argument that Israel is within months of launching a military attack on Iran. I'm not an expert on the region so I can't offer any particular insight, but I strongly recommend reading the article if you get a chance. It leaves you with the feeling that this most recent Zionism-based version of the eternal struggles in the Middle East is about to come to a head.

From an American political angle, it left me thinking that Obama's response to this, and not the economy or health care or the budget, would end up defining his legacy.

A nuclear Iran would be bad in that they would feel no compunction whatsoever from dumping a nuclear weapon into Israel's lap even knowing the potential losses to their country from nuclear retaliation.I'm not sure why people want to underestimate such a wholly dedicated radical theocratic government.
You are completely ignorant about Iran.

Educate me.
What evidence is there that Iran is plotting the nuclear destruction of Israel?

Offa said:
Bronco Billy said:
Offa said:
Bronco Billy said:
Educate me.
What evidence is there that Iran is plotting the nuclear destruction of Israel?
You're kidding? That's why you call me ignorant? Because you apparently haven't heard of one of Ahmadinejad's numerous speeches about the destruction of the Zionists in Israel or the destruction he is willing to endure in his own country to use nuclear weapons on Israel? Do I really need to start providing links and quotes, because there are an awful lot of them.

You're kidding? That's why you call me ignorant? Because you apparently haven't heard of one of Ahmadinejad's numerous speeches about the destruction of the Zionists in Israel or the destruction he is willing to endure in his own country to use nuclear weapons on Israel? Do I really need to start providing links and quotes, because there are an awful lot of them.
Meh. Saddam Hussein all over again. The threat in that region often time exceeds the capability to carry out the threat by an exponential factor.

OK, show me the quotes then?

Meh. Saddam Hussein all over again. The threat in that region often time exceeds the capability to carry out the threat by an exponential factor.
So you're position is that a nuclear Iran is no threat to Israel or any other part of the world, AND that Husein was not threat either?This is either truly mindboggling or some fishing disguised as incredible ignorance.

Yeah, let's just wait around and see if anything happens first. Nothing could ever go wrong or has ever gone wrong with that kind of thinking, right? Right? :shrug:

Yeah, let's just wait around and see if anything happens first. Nothing could ever go wrong or has ever gone wrong with that kind of thinking, right? Right? :shrug:
Well, we know the other option does not turn out real well - so I guess we are damned if we do, damned if we don't.

So you're position is that a nuclear Iran is no threat to Israel or any other part of the world, AND that Husein was not threat either?This is either truly mindboggling or some fishing disguised as incredible ignorance.
For all his faults - a crazy Hussein helped keep some semblance of order in that part of the world. Sure, life was better for some folks, than others - but such is life.Hussein, as we now know, was not a threat to anyone outside of his own country. But his ruse of weapons of mass destruction sure kept a lot of crazies at bay.Is Iran a threat to Israel? Probably. Is Israel a threat to Iran? Probably. Why should one country be disadvantaged in that dispute?Iran is certainly not a military threat to the US. They could create a financial ####storm for us with a prolonged conflict with Israel - all the more reason for Israel to stand down.

For all his faults - a crazy Hussein helped keep some semblance of order in that part of the world. Sure, life was better for some folks, than others - but such is life.Hussein, as we now know, was not a threat to anyone outside of his own country. But his ruse of weapons of mass destruction sure kept a lot of crazies at bay.

Is Iran a threat to Israel? Probably. Is Israel a threat to Iran? Probably. Why should one country be disadvantaged in that dispute?

Iran is certainly not a military threat to the US. They could create a financial ####storm for us with a prolonged conflict with Israel - all the more reason for Israel to stand down.
Regarding the bolded- because one country has made it perfectly clear that it seeks the complete destruction of the other, whereas that sentiment has not been reciprocated. When that's your rhetoric, you forfeit your right to be treated "fairly" in this high-stakes game.

Regarding the bolded- because one country has made it perfectly clear that it seeks the complete destruction of the other
No it hasn't.
Here's the article with the quotes about how Israel must be "wiped off the map" and that "anybody who recognizes Israel will burn in the fire of the Islamic nation's fury."I'm no expert in Farsi to English translation, so feel free to illuminate me on what he said and how that doesn't translate to seeking the complete destruction of Israel.

OK, show me the quotes then?
Note: While the link is to the ADL, they are taking direct quotes in each case from Ahmadinajad, and have documented each of them.link

October 26, 2005

"Israel must be wiped off the map … The establishment of a Zionist regime was a move by the world oppressor against the Islamic world . . . The skirmishes in the occupied land are part of the war of destiny. The outcome of hundreds of years of war will be defined in Palestinian land."

(In an address to 4,000 students at a program titled, 'The World Without Zionism')

April 14, 2006

"The Zionist regime is an injustice and by its very nature a permanent threat. Whether you like it or not, the Zionist regime is heading toward annihilation. The Zionist regime is a rotten, dried tree that will be eliminated by one storm."

(In a speech at the opening of the "Support for the Palestinian Intifada" conference on April 14-16 hosted in Tehran)

May 11, 2006

Israel is "a regime based on evil that cannot continue and one day will vanish."

(to a student rally in Jakarta, Indonesia)

August 2, 2006

"Although the main solution is for the elimination of the Zionist regime, at this stage an immediate cease-fire must be implemented."

(as quoted by Iranian TV)

August 4, 2006

"A new Middle East will prevail without the existence of Israel."

(as quoted by Malaysian news agency Bernama website)

November 13, 2006

"Israel is destined for destruction and will soon disappear"

Israel is "a contradiction to nature, we foresee its rapid disappearance and destruction."

December 12, 2006

"Thanks to people's wishes and God's will the trend for the existence of the Zionist regime is downwards and this is what God has promised and what all nations want…Just as the Soviet Union was wiped out and today does not exist, so will the Zionist regime soon be wiped out"

(Comments to Iran's Holocaust Conference)

June 3, 2007

"With God's help, the countdown button for the destruction of the Zionist regime has been pushed by the hands of the children of Lebanon and Palestine . . . By God's will, we will witness the destruction of this regime in the near future."

(Speech, as quoted by the Fars News Agency)

January 30, 2008

"I warn you to abandon the filthy Zionist entity, which has reached the end of the line. It has lost its reason to be and will sooner or later fall. The ones who still support the criminal Zionists should know that the occupiers' days are numbered. … Accept that the life of Zionists will sooner or later come to an end."

May 8, 2008

"Those who think they can revive the stinking corpse of the usurping and fake Israeli regime by throwing a birthday party are seriously mistaken."

"Today the reason for the Zionist regime's existence is questioned, and this regime is on its way to annihilation.… (Israel) has reached the end like a dead rat after being slapped by the Lebanese."

(Remarks on Israel's Independence Day, as quoted by Iran's official IRNA news agency)

August 23, 2008

"About 2,000 organised Zionists and 7,000 to 8,000 agents of Zionism have dragged the world into turmoil. … The powerful hand of the nations will clean these sources of corruption from the face of the earth."

(Speech at a rally in Arak)

"We will witness the dismantling of the corrupt regime (Israel) in the very near future."

(Speech marking "World Mosque Week in Tehran, as quoted by the official IRNA news agency)

February 25, 2010

"If the Zionist regime wants to repeat its past mistakes, this will constitute its demise and annihilation…With Allah's help the new Middle East will be a Middle East without Zionists and Imperialists."

(At a news conference in Damascus with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.)

March 11, 2010

"See what has become of Israel. They [the West] gathered the most criminal people in the world and stationed them in our region with lies and fabricated scenarios. They waged wars, committed massive aggression… and made millions of people homeless…Today, it is clear that Israel is the most hated regime in the world… It is not useful for its masters [the West] anymore. They are in doubt now. They wonder whether to continue spending money on this regime or not…But whether they want it or not, with God's grace, this regime will be annihilated and Palestinians and other regional nations will be rid of its bad omen."

Here's the article with the quotes about how Israel must be "wiped off the map" and that "anybody who recognizes Israel will burn in the fire of the Islamic nation's fury."

I'm no expert in Farsi to English translation, so feel free to illuminate me on what he said and how that doesn't translate to seeking the complete destruction of Israel.
This article sort of hints at why I believe Iran won't nuke Israel: the land that Israel is 'occupying' is holy to them, not only because it 'rightfully' belongs to their Muslim brother Palestinians, but also because it's the home of the Dome of the Rock, Islam's holiest site outside of Mecca and Medina. It's like Indiana Jones threatening to blow up the Ark all over again. :wall:

Regarding the bolded- because one country has made it perfectly clear that it seeks the complete destruction of the other
No it hasn't.
Here's the article with the quotes about how Israel must be "wiped off the map" and that "anybody who recognizes Israel will burn in the fire of the Islamic nation's fury."I'm no expert in Farsi to English translation, so feel free to illuminate me on what he said and how that doesn't translate to seeking the complete destruction of Israel.
Achmadinejad was quoting the late Ayatollah Khomeini who said that "the regime occupying Jerusalem should disappear from the pages of time". Wiped off the map is a mistranslation.That's the regime, not the people. And it should disappear, not be wiped out. This has been repeatedly clarified by the Iranian foreign ministry.

The context of the speech was Achmadinejad's proposal for a one-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, where both Israelis and Palestinians would hold a referendum on whether there should be one or two states. That's not exactly calling for nuclear annihalation.

No it hasn't.
Achmadinejad was quoting the late Ayatollah Khomeini who said that "the regime occupying Jerusalem should disappear from the pages of time". Wiped off the map is a mistranslation.That's the regime, not the people. And it should disappear, not be wiped out. This has been repeatedly clarified by the Iranian foreign ministry.

The context of the speech was Achmadinejad's proposal for a one-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, where both Israelis and Palestinians would hold a referendum on whether there should be one or two states. That's not exactly calling for nuclear annihalation.
Regardless of whether you're speaking of a regime or a land, when you use language like "wiped off the map" and " disappear," you are not merely calling for removal. You are calling for destruction. Even giving it the kindest interpretation possible, the two parties can be differentiated, and thus treating them differently can be justified. One is willing to work peaceably within the confines of the status quo and has never threatened the existence of a regime outside its borders based on anything less than overwhelming provocation. The other steadfastly refuses to accept the legitimacy of a nation and calls for the "elimination" of this "disgraceful stain from the Islamic world" (from the same speech).

It's not a stretch to say that the latter should be considered a far greater threat to peace than the former.

Yeah, that's the translation provided from some apologists, most notably Arash Norouzi. How exactly do you manage to explain away all the other statements?ETA: Here's Norouzi's defense of the statement

He manages to excuse Ahmadinejad as being misinterpretted completely, and in the process of his far flung and poorly spun fairy tale calls out Mike Wallace and Anderson Cooper - those right wing wack job conspiracy theorists that they are - as being liars.

Regardless of whether you're speaking of a regime or a land, when you use language like "wiped off the map" and " disappear," you are not merely calling for removal. You are calling for destruction.Even giving it the kindest interpretation possible, the two parties can be differentiated, and thus treating them differently can be justified. One is willing to work peaceably within the confines of the status quo and has never threatened the existence of a regime outside its borders based on anything less than overwhelming provocation. The other steadfastly refuses to accept the legitimacy of a nation and calls for the "elimination" of this "disgraceful stain from the Islamic world" (from the same speech).It's not a stretch to say that the latter should be considered a far greater threat to peace than the former.
Whether it's removal or destruction is a semantic difference. Ahmadinejad wants to remove/destroy/whatever Israel, not Israelis. And in all Ahmadinejad's speeches he foresees Israel ("the Zionist state") ending due to demographic shifts, not through military action. That's what his proposals on the Israeli-Palestinian issue are about. It's ludicrous to misinterpret his wish for a one-state solution (which I don't agree with) as a prelude to nuclear destruction. People like Ilan Pappe support the "destruction" (whatever you want to call it) of Israel, but that doesn't mean destruction with nuclear weapons.

Yeah, that's the translation provided from some apologists, most notably Arash Norouzi. How exactly do you manage to explain away all the other statements?
Bluster - pure and simple.

Yeah, that's the translation provided from some apologists, most notably Arash Norouzi. How exactly do you manage to explain away all the other statements?
I think they express a wish for the State of Israel to go away. You need several leaps of logic to get from that to nuclear war.

Users who are viewing this thread