What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Cowherd Reporting (1 Viewer)

The players are eligibile for the bowl game because the NCAA determined they did not receive adequate rules education during the time period the violations occurred, Lennon said.

SO

don't teach your players the rules, so they can play in the bowl game!

Adams must repay $1,000 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring and Herron must repay $1,150 for selling his football jersey, pants and shoes for $1,000 and receiving discounted services worth $150.

Posey must repay $1,250 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,200 and receiving discounted services worth $50, while Pryor must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring, a 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and his 2008 Gold Pants, a gift from the university.

Solomon must repay $1,505 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,000, his 2008 Gold Pants for $350 and receiving discounted services worth $155.

selling his sportsmanship award

:confused:

Terrelle Pryor, four other Buckeyes suspended for five games in ’11

Posted by John Taylor on December 23, 2010, 12:16 PM EST

Ummm, wow.

Following up on reports that Ohio State was investigating several members of the football program possibly receiving impermissible benefits, that “possibly” has morphed into “definitely”. And, before the 2010 season has even come to an end, has placed a serious shadow over the their 2011 season.

According to a release issued by the university, a total of six players will be suspended for a game or games at the beginning of 2011 for selling awards, gifts and university apparel and receiving improper benefits in 2009. Included in that total is quarterback Terrelle Pryor, who figured to be in the thick of the Heisman race next year but now must decide whether it’s worth even coming back another year.

Pryor, the release states, must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring, a 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and his 2008 Gold Pants, a gift from the university. He will be suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season, or nearly half of his final year of collegiate eligibility.

Joining Pryor on the sidelines for the first five game of ’11 — or the NFL, whichever the case may be — are offensive lineman Mike Adams, running back Boom Herron, wide receiver DeVier Posey and defensive lineman Solomon Thomas. Like Pryor, all four of those players are juniors and thus eligible for the April draft.

The university declared the student-athletes ineligible on Monday (Dec. 20) and requested reinstatement from the NCAA.

As part of their reinstatement, Adams must repay $1,000 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring and Herron must repay $1,150 for selling his football jersey, pants and shoes for $1,000 and receiving discounted services worth $150. Posey must repay $1,250 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,200 and receiving discounted services worth $50.

“We were not as explicit with our student-athlete education as we should have been in the 2007-08 and 2008-09 academic years regarding the sale of apparel, awards and gifts issued by the athletics department,” athletic director Gene Smith said in a statement. “We began to significantly improve our education in November of 2009 to address these issues. After going through this experience, we will further enhance our education for all our student-athletes as we move forward.”

“Once a student-athlete understands a violation has occurred, they must immediately come forward to report it,” he said. “That did not happen, so the additional one-game penalty was imposed.”

Perhaps the only “bright spot” for the Buckeyes in this latest NCAA investigative mess is the fact that all of the players will be eligible to play in the Sugar Bowl against Arkansas. Among the factors that led the NCAA to allow the quintet to play in the bowl game was that it was determined the student-athletes did not receive adequate rules education during the time period the violations occurred.

Ohio State is currently conducting a press conference that includes head coach Jim Tressel, and obviously we’ll have more on this stunning development throughout the day.
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...ve-games-in-11/

Adams must repay $1,000 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring and Herron must repay $1,150 for selling his football jersey, pants and shoes for $1,000 and receiving discounted services worth $150.Posey must repay $1,250 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,200 and receiving discounted services worth $50, while Pryor must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring, a 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and his 2008 Gold Pants, a gift from the university.Solomon must repay $1,505 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,000, his 2008 Gold Pants for $350 and receiving discounted services worth $155. selling his sportsmanship award:lmao:
Why is it wrong to sell their stuff?

They'll still be 5-0.

Sat. Sept. 3 AKRON Columbus TBA Sat. Sept. 10 TOLEDO Columbus TBA Sat. Sept. 17 at Miami, Fla. Miami, Fla. TBA Sat. Sept. 24 COLORADO Columbus TBA Sat. Oct. 1 MICHIGAN STATE Columbus TBA

Adams must repay $1,000 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring and Herron must repay $1,150 for selling his football jersey, pants and shoes for $1,000 and receiving discounted services worth $150.Posey must repay $1,250 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,200 and receiving discounted services worth $50, while Pryor must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring, a 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and his 2008 Gold Pants, a gift from the university.Solomon must repay $1,505 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,000, his 2008 Gold Pants for $350 and receiving discounted services worth $155. selling his sportsmanship award:lmao:
'cause NCAA says it isthough, wrong for next year not wrong for this year

Was this something that was made known to the kids or was this a decision after the items were sold?

Was this something that was made known to the kids or was this a decision after the items were sold?
Before you heard this, would you assume the University can give a player a gift that he can then turn for a profit?

I don't know how you can call the NCAA anything but plantation owners.
I can call them a lot of thingsI don't know if this should even be an issue, their rules are stupid, but they are choosing to apply these rules after a bowl game to preserve the matchup and profits of that gameit's a farce

Adams must repay $1,000 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring and Herron must repay $1,150 for selling his football jersey, pants and shoes for $1,000 and receiving discounted services worth $150.

Posey must repay $1,250 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,200 and receiving discounted services worth $50, while Pryor must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring, a 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and his 2008 Gold Pants, a gift from the university.

Solomon must repay $1,505 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,000, his 2008 Gold Pants for $350 and receiving discounted services worth $155.

selling his sportsmanship award

:lmao:
:shrug: :lmao: :lmao: My god, how many awards are there?

Before you heard this, would you assume the University can give a player a gift that he can then turn for a profit?
If a University gives a kid books as part of a scholorship, is it wrong for the kid to then sell the book after the semester is over?

"We were not as explicit with our student-athlete education as we should have been in the 2007-08 and 2008-09 academic years regarding the sale of apparel, awards and gifts issued by the athletics department," Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said in a statement. "We began to significantly improve our education in November of 2009 to address these issues. After going through this experience, we will further enhance our education for all our student-athletes as we move forward."

I just don;t get how the university can say "we didn't tel them, sorry" and then the players play in the bowl game and miss 5 games next year. where is the logic?

if they need punished punish them, if not punish the university for failling to explain the rules

don't heap punishment on next year, that's insane

:lmao: These kids SHOULD be getting paid...ridiculous.
These kids ARE getting paid.... ridiculous that you can't see that.
:confused:You know what I mean....or were you just searching for a clever retort?
Unless it says....
I'm wrong
....I never know, or care to know, what you think you mean

If a University gives a kid books as part of a scholorship, is it wrong for the kid to then sell the book after the semester is over?
If i were a player on schoalrship i'd err on the side of not being allowed to sell them back, that's for damn surethe universlty cannot give them cream cheese for their damn bagels after a morning workout, the NCAA has rules on ####, err on the side of caution

I can call them a lot of thingsI don't know if this should even be an issue, their rules are stupid, but they are choosing to apply these rules after a bowl game to preserve the matchup and profits of that gameit's a farce
They are suspended after the bowl game because it was ruled that the university didn't properly educate the athletes. Their education on NCAA rules didn't include information about selling awards and apparel until 2010. I'm not exactly sure why the NCAA determined that this meant they should be suspended for 5 games during their last year of eligibility but not for the bowl game though.I can see why the NCAA wouldn't want them to do this (even if I think the NCAA is a joke), but I can certainly see why the players thought it was ok to sell something that was theirs as well. What's really sad is that these guys sold stuff like that that's irreplaceable in the first place. And it's not like they made a ridiculous amount of money from it either.

"Here's the deal kid. You go out there and do your best. When the money comes rolling in, we'll give you these accolades you can put on your resume and trinkets you can put on your fingers. In exchange, you let us keep all the money that is brought in because of your earning of these awards. I need to warn you though, if you try to make some actual money on your own with these trinkets, we're going to have to gaffle you."

Can someone tell me how the University was hurt by this? They gave them equipment and awards, the kids sold them because they're broke.

"Here's the deal kid. You go out there and do your best. When the money comes rolling in, we'll give you these accolades you can put on your resume and trinkets you can put on your fingers. In exchange, you let us keep all the money that is brought in because of your earning of these awards. I need to warn you though, if you try to make some actual money on your own with these trinkets, we're going to have to gaffle you."
Logic. You can see it coming from a mile away, but for some reason, a lot of people don't even notice it whiz right by their heads...

Still trying to understand why the suspension would not start with the BCS game? And how they are saying they did not educate? Please AJ Green (UG) was suspended 4 game for selling his jersey this year. You don't think Ohio State and every other major program did not cover this?

What the hell is bigtime college football coming to?

Star players at a major university having to sell trinkets to make a thousand bucks? OSU needs to bring in Ron Meyer.

Still trying to understand why the suspension would not start with the BCS game? And how they are saying they did not educate? Please AJ Green (UG) was suspended 4 game for selling his jersey this year. You don't think Ohio State and every other major program did not cover this?
This all happened prior to November of 2009.

Does prior come out now?

If the appeal does not go through, he misses 5/13 games, assuming they still make a bowl game which they surely will

could be 5/14 if the bucs make the big 10 championship game

Does prior come out now?If the appeal does not go through, he misses 5/13 games, assuming they still make a bowl game which they surely willcould be 5/14 if the bucs make the big 10 championship game
I would bet my house he comes out this year. If he comes back he sits for 1/2 the season..

Users who are viewing this thread