What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☑ ACADEMY AWARDS viewing thread - "Birdman" takes it (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
Best Picture
“Boyhood,” (+150)
“The Imitation Game,” (+7500)
“The Grand Budapest Hotel,” (+5000)
“Birdman,” (-200)
“Selma,” (+12500)
“The Theory of Everything,” (+10000)
“Whiplash,” (+7500)
“American Sniper,” (+1000)

Best Actor
Michael Keaton, “Birdman,” (+200)
Eddie Redmayne, “The Theory of Everything,” (-400)
Benedict Cumberbatch, “The Imitation Game,” (+5000)
Steve Carell, “Foxcatcher,” (+15000)
Bradley Cooper, “American Sniper,” (+1000)

Best Actress
Julianne Moore, “Still Alice,” (-10000)
Reese Witherspoon, “Wild,” (+2000)
Rosamund Pike, “Gone Girl,” (+2000)
Felicity Jones, “The Theory of Everything,” (+2000)
Marion Cotillard, “Two Days, One Night,” (+2000)

Best Supporting Actor
J.K. Simmons, “Whiplash,” (-4000)
Edward Norton, “Birdman,” (+1500)
Ethan Hawke, “Boyhood,” (+6000)
Mark Ruffalo, “Foxcatcher,” (+4500)
Robert Duvall, “The Judge,” (+10000)

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette, “Boyhood,” (-7500)
Emma Stone, “Birdman,” (+2500)
Meryl Streep, “Into the Woods,” (+8000)
Kiera Knightley, “The Imitation Game,” (+8000)
Laura Dern, “Wild,” (+8000)

Best Director
Richard Linklater, “Boyhood,” (+120)
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, “Birdman,” (-160)
Morten Tyidum, “The Imitation Game,” (+10000)
Wes Anderson, “The Grand Budapest Hotel,” (+5000)
Bennett Miller, “Foxcatcher,” (+10000)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm calling a "Best Picture" upset. The 10-nominee format makes the growing sentiment (esp among the ever-older Academy voters) that most of the best movie-storytelling is done in animated films these days the only uncontended bloc in the lineup, leading to a surprise win for Toy Story 3. The "field" (not Speech or Network) is 9-1 on Bodog. Place your bets....

I'm calling a "Best Picture" upset. The 10-nominee format makes the growing sentiment (esp among the ever-older Academy voters) that most of the best movie-storytelling is done in animated films these days the only uncontended bloc in the lineup, leading to a surprise win for Toy Story 3. The "field" (not Speech or Network) is 9-1 on Bodog. Place your bets....
I would be shocked and saddened if The King's Speech doesn't win. I'm even holding out hope that the academy hates on Bale for being such a doosh. I'd like to see Rush win Best Supporting Actor, even though Bale was fantastic.

I haven't watched the Oscars in years, mostly because they're a complete joke. But I might tune in to see what happens if Banksy wins Best Doc.

I liked The King's Speech fine but like always I have to root for the underdog(s). Unfortunately that usually leads to an inferior winner (see: Hurt Locker). But in this case I don't think the King's Speech is any great shakes. Cookie cutter critics' spank material. Great acting, not a very interesting movie. The Fighter is also cookie cutter, but at least it's about something fun - boxing and crack - and not a speech impediment

I've been told Black Swan has "NO CHANCE" but I don't think that's the case, I think it should steal a lot of votes, and at least it's something different and interesting.

Hopefully The Kids Are Alright gets completely shut out, it's the one movie in the field I thought was total crap. Annette Bening did nothing impressive here.

I still don't think we're ready for an animated best picture. As of yet no animated picture has broken the mold.

No one should get a supporting Oscar when they were the lead in the film. It's like giving the 6th Man award to a starter. If your own people didn't think you were good enough for Best Actress, take a walk I guess.

I watched Banksy's movie, it struck me as a total piss-take. Is a doc a doc if it's not really real? Were there any good docs this year that weren't political?

A lot of parents in our kids school and our neighbors are SAG members who vote every year.

I would say based on my small NYC centric sample Banksy has a ZERO PERCENT chance of winning.

Ask yourself - would you vote for something knowing it might well be a big hoax, intended to dupe the voters?

Didn't think so.

I haven't watched the Oscars in years, mostly because they're a complete joke. But I might tune in to see what happens if Banksy wins Best Doc.
He won't. The Academy is too un-controversial to have him win. They'll give the award to the Inside Job imo.I agree with RN in that Hailee Steinfeld is a good upset bet as I think the Academy was disgusted by how Melissa Leo went about buying ads for herself and whatnot. But maybe I just think the Academy is more pretentious than it actually is.

He won't. The Academy is too un-controversial to have him win. They'll give the award to the Inside Job imo.
When it doesn't win that won't be why. That movie was tamer than most of the Best Picture nominees.

No one should get a supporting Oscar when they were the lead in the film. It's like giving the 6th Man award to a starter. If your own people didn't think you were good enough for Best Actress, take a walk I guess.
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I always thought the academy chose the categories in which the actors are placed.

He won't. The Academy is too un-controversial to have him win. They'll give the award to the Inside Job imo.
When it doesn't win that won't be why. That movie was tamer than most of the Best Picture nominees.
When I said un-controversial I wasn't talking about the stuff that happens on-screen during the actual film as much as I was talking about all the other stuff such as who the director is, and whether or not the film is fiction or non-fiction.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I always thought the academy chose the categories in which the actors are placed.
From what I gathered in another thread about this, you are mistaken.ETA: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/awards/2010/12/why-is-true-grits-hailee-steinfeld-in-sags-supporting-actress-category.html

When I said un-controversial I wasn't talking about the stuff that happens on-screen during the actual film as much as I was talking about all the other stuff such as who the director is, and whether or not the film is fiction or non-fiction.
I see. I don't think anyone's particularly nervous about who the director is, but yeah that last thing I guess you could consider controversial.. I didn't really think of it that way.

To generate a little conversation, here's how I would rank the BP nominees (finally saw 127 last week). I realize only King's Speech and TSN have a shot at winning but just my random rankings.

1. Black Swan

2. Inception

3. The King's Speech

4. The Fighter

5. True Grit

6. Toy Story 3

7. 127 Hours

8. The Social Network

9. The Kids Are All Right

10. Winter's Bone

Winter's Bone was the only one of the lot that did absolutely nothing for me.

I'll play

1. Black Swan

2. The Fighter

3. The King's Speech

4. The Social Network

5. Winter's Bone

6. Inception

7. True Grit

8. 127 Hours

9. Toy Story 3

10. The Kids Are All Right

1. Winter's Bone

2. King's Speech

3. Black Swan

4. Inception

5. Social Network

6. The Fighter

7. True Grit

8. 127 Hours

9. The Kids Are All Right

10. Toy Story 3 (I am not an animation fan)

Took Social Network Over 3 Oscars (-180), Inception Under 3.5 Oscars (-180), Kings Speech Under 5 Oscars (-110), Fincher -175 and emptied the rest of the account on Firth -2000 (free money).

Like was said above, I haven't watched the Oscars for years. I don't know which I hate worse, all the false gratitude and gushing, or the political statements coming from people who are as wise about politics as my Hispanic gardener (legal, mind you).

Social Network at +350 seems like decent odds

Im really not rooting for anything but Inception to win as many Oscars as it can.

Users who are viewing this thread