What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stupid Baby Names (1 Viewer)

zed2283

Footballguy
Spinoff of the Baby Names thread. For some reason, people giving their kids stupid names is one of my all-time pet peeves. It's like a pet elephant peeve. I can't stand it, and I don't understand why people do it. I reaize there have always been trends in naming kids, but when did the trends start including preppy or made up stupid names (I'm excluding African American names from that question)?

Slightly less annoying is coming up with some new way to spell a name. For example, I've traditionally seen it spelled Megan, Meagan, or Meghan... so my buddy and his wife combined them all and named their girl Meaghan. Nothing like a couple extra letters for effect.

So if I get enough posts, I'll keep a running list. Any of you expectant fathers, check in here from time to time. If you see a name on the list below, DO NOT GIVE IT TO YOUR CHILD.

boys
Aiden
Austin
Blane
Brayden
Brendan
Brennan
Callum
Carter
Chase
Colby
Collin
Conner
Daschel
Davis
Declan

Dillinger
Duncan
Finn
Griffin

Hayden
Hunter
Jackson
Jefferson
Knox
Liam
Logan

Maverick
Maximus
Miles
Ollie
Parker
Parsons
Prince
Sailor
Sterling
Taylor

Tristan
Tucker
Wren
Zander

girls
Brenley
Brooklyn
Ciera

Eclipse

Emerson
Juniper
Kendall
Kinsley
Madison
Marley
McKennah
McKenzie
Morgan
Ollie

Sabine

Scout
Skylar
Star
Stormie
Tayla
Taylor

Last edited by a moderator:
LoganConnerGriffin
:confused: None of these really come off as stupid. maybe overused a bit, but I was expecting actual stupid names like, Apple, Root, Sunshine, stuff like that.

LoganConnerGriffin
:confused: None of these really come off as stupid. maybe overused a bit, but I was expecting actual stupid names like, Apple, Root, Sunshine, stuff like that.
Nope. Stupid. Who names a kid Griffin? Is his twin brother's name Minotaur?eta: Those other names you mentioned are simply absurd, and I wouldn't think they would be included in any popular trends of stupid names.

I always thought the names Zoe and Chloe were ridiculous. And McKenzie is a last name.
Good call on McKenzie. Just goes to show that if you repeat a stupid name enough times, people can unfortunately get used to it. Zoe and Chloe might be old-timey traditional type names that would be allowed. I may need some sort of link for a proper ruling.

I'll start it off with:LoganConner
What is wrong with Logan and Conner? Not my style but I have no problems with those two. If you think those are good examples of "stupid" names, then you have not be paying attention.
I've been paying plenty of attention. Logan and Conner were stupid names when they appeared on the scene 20 years ago. The fact they are in wider use today doesn't make them any less stupid.ETA: They are last names, and thus stupid first names.

Spinoff of the Baby Names thread. For some reason, people giving their kids stupid names is one of my all-time pet peeves. It's like a pet elephant peeve. I can't stand it, and I don't understand why people do it. I reaize there have always been trends in naming kids, but when did the trends start including preppy or made up stupid names (I'm excluding African American names from that question)?

Slightly less annoying is coming up with some new way to spell a name. For example, I've traditionally seen it spelled Megan, Meagan, or Meghan... so my buddy and his wife combined them all and named their girl Meaghan. Nothing like a couple extra letters for effect.

So if I get enough posts, I'll keep a running list. Any of you expectant fathers, check in here from time to time. If you see a name on the list below, DO NOT GIVE IT TO YOUR CHILD.

I'll start it off with:

boys

Conner
Absolutely. The non-stupid spelling is Connor.

Baby names go in cycles. My first name was a common last name when I was born. Now forty years later it's regularly in the top 5 most popular boys first names.

I'll start it off with:

Logan

Conner
What is wrong with Logan and Conner? Not my style but I have no problems with those two. If you think those are good examples of "stupid" names, then you have not be paying attention.
I've been paying plenty of attention. Logan and Conner were stupid names when they appeared on the scene 20 years ago. The fact they are in wider use today doesn't make them any less stupid.ETA: They are last names, and thus stupid first names.
"James" is a last name also. It that a stupid first name?
James receives historical exemption, because it has "always" been a first or last name.To name a kid James James, however, would be stupid.

I'll start it off with:LoganConner
If you look up the etymology of "logan" nobody is sure if it was originally a first of last name.

I'll start it off with:

Logan

Conner
James receives historical exemption, because it has "always" been a first or last name.To name a kid James James, however, would be stupid.
Thanks for clearing that up.-James

Im sure my son's name would get a no from some as it did come from a last name.

Davis

Though, I don't care what some think of it...I don't see it as some pretentious name. It was a tribute to my wife's grandmother (her maiden name) and it fits the boy perfectly.

I'll start it off with:

Logan

Conner
Thanks for clearing that up.-James
:highfive:My daughter's tarantula is named James.
My daughter's name is Tarantula.

A little quick Googling finds records of name popularity dating back to 1880:

- Logan dates to the 1880s, although didn't make the top 1000 from 1890 to about 1960

- Conner/Connor/Conor doesn't show in the top 1000 until 1980, but I found a Conor on Wikipedia born in 1917

- Griffin dates to the 1890s, but was out of the top 1000 until 1990

So none of these really fits your "made up" definition.

Maximus was probably used in ancient times, but doesn't appear in the top 1000 names until 2000 (isn't that when Gladiator was released?). So I'll give you that one, sort of.

A little quick Googling finds records of name popularity dating back to 1880:- Logan dates to the 1880s, although didn't make the top 1000 from 1890 to about 1960- Conner/Connor/Conor doesn't show in the top 1000 until 1980, but I found a Conor on Wikipedia born in 1917- Griffin dates to the 1890s, but was out of the top 1000 until 1990So none of these really fits your "made up" definition.Maximus was probably used in ancient times, but doesn't appear in the top 1000 names until 2000 (isn't that when Gladiator was released?). So I'll give you that one, sort of.
Hmmm... well I may need to refine the definition some. Can I call something "non-traditional" even if it was around since 1880?Also, should I assume Finn is only being used by Irish people? If so, I won't put it on the list. If it is merely a trendy name that everyone uses, then I will add it.

Glad my parents named me something unique - I went to school with enough guys named John, Joe, Chris, and Mike. It's nice that people don't have to include my last name when talking about me. Nothing against parents who are naming their kids Jacob or Benjamin, but those names don't work for me.

My SIL had a son and was deciding between Logan, Jackson, Conner, & Griffin LOL. I dont like any of those names but I dont think theyre stupid. They went with Logan, so I have a nephew named Logan now.

BTW they chose Logan because they thought it sounded different. Meanwhile I believe its in the top 10 of most popular names. My son's name isnt in the top 100 but I thought it was common... Think Tuck, Upton, Timberlake, Verlander, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread