What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** Washington, DC thread (1 Viewer)

dgreen

Footballguy
It's about time for this. Many FBGs have moved here or visited here and are always looking for advice. Should I live in VA or MD? (Easy answer there, actually. VA >>>>>>> MD. Even the Marylanders agree.) Where to eat? Which hotels are good? What sites should I go to if I only have one day?

We'll leave the majority of sports talk to the Redskins threads, Nats threads, and NHL threads. NBA? What?

Everything else about the city and the surrounding area goes here.

NY has had its own thread for a while. It's time for DC.

Good idea. This will keep all you fancypants out of our Baltimore thread. :boxing:

I'm actually a northern VA native (grew up in Falls Church) but I've lived in Baltimore for 12 years, since I was 30, and will probably be here for life. I think both places are great and am one of those rare people who thinks of both cities as home. I just don't say that too loud in Baltimore, since everyone here seems to hate Washington for some reason.

This thread acts as if nobody lives in the freaking city itself. I'll trade the higher taxes for being able to walk everywhere I want to go.

This thread acts as if nobody lives in the freaking city itself. I'll trade the higher taxes for being able to walk everywhere I want to go.
We're only 5 posts in. Those who have posted so far don't live in the city itself.The city itself tends to be the focus for visitors. VA vs. MD tends to be the focus of people moving here and looking for advice. The city is definitely making a comeback, though, with residents. I think 2010 was the first Census in a while that the city's population increased. A lot of great development going on in the city and I'd bet 2020 shows a large jump in population.

The thing about the district that just blows me away is the total lack of any sense of obligation from the politicians to the citizenry. Plain and simple, it's just the quickest way to line one's pockets.

The rise of food trucks has to be one of the best things to happen in DC the past couple years. Unfortunately, I don't work in an area that the trucks frequent during work lunch hours, but I've been able to try a few. Takorean is fantastic. $8 for three korean tacos is a really good deal. Capmac was good, too, but the portions were a little disappointing. If you want large portions, Yellow Vendor (the yellow Korean food truck) gives you more than enough food.

Anyone lucky enough to have these outside their work everyday? What have you tried?

The rise of food trucks has to be one of the best things to happen in DC the past couple years. Unfortunately, I don't work in an area that the trucks frequent during work lunch hours, but I've been able to try a few. Takorean is fantastic. $8 for three korean tacos is a really good deal. Capmac was good, too, but the portions were a little disappointing. If you want large portions, Yellow Vendor (the yellow Korean food truck) gives you more than enough food.

Anyone lucky enough to have these outside their work everyday? What have you tried?
I don't do food trucks anymore because of my diet issues, but I found the Red Hook Lobster Pound truck to be worth the wait. I've also done the yellow Korean truck.

If someone reading this thread is considering moving to DC, be prepared to hear the words "suspicious package" and understand how they will became the bane of your commute.

If you are visiting, or live here and want to listen to morning radio, check out The Sports Junkies on 106.7 the fan. They are on from 6-10 AM Monday-Friday.

I'm biased since I have listened to them for over 10 years but they are a great show.

McGarvey's Saloon and Oyster Bar

Annapolis, Maryland

Do it.

If you are near Silver Springs: The Quarry and get the blue cheese/jalapeno burger and one of their 200,000 beers on tap.

If you are near Silver Springs: The Quarry and get the blue cheese/jalapeno burger and one of their 200,000 beers on tap.
Ray's Hell Burger and the Burger Joint are my go-to spots for burgers. Burger Joint more so since I live closer to one of those. Actually, it's been a while since I've been to Ray's. May have to do that soon.

If you're out in the the Leesburg area Tuskies and Lightfoot are the best restaurants. I also highly recommend Blue Ridge Grill they have excellent crab cakes. In the Reston Town Center Passion Fish is awesome and Rio Grande is a decent Mexican place.

If you're out in the the Leesburg area Tuskies and Lightfoot are the best restaurants. I also highly recommend Blue Ridge Grill they have excellent crab cakes. In the Reston Town Center Passion Fish is awesome and Rio Grande is a decent Mexican place.
Love Passion Fish. Easily one of NoVa's best restaurants.Unfortunately, American Flatbread in Ashburn closed. That was a great place out near you. Really good gourmet pizzas. But, just too expensive and not a great location. I think they overestimated people's desire to eat local. They briefly had an Arlington location, but that didn't stay open long.

'NewlyRetired said:
On our way back from our summer vacation, we are planning to spend 2 full days in DC. Two adults and two 12 year old girls.Any recommendations for must see's that can be accomplished over the 2 day period? I have not been since I was a kid but really more interested in things the girls would enjoy.
When will you be here?My advice to any first-time visitors (your kids) is to just walk The Mall and hit the major sites: Capitol, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, White House, Jefferson Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, WWII Memorial, and the various museums along The Mall. It's a lot of walking, especially when it's hot, but it would seem odd to visit DC for the first time and do anything else. If those types of things aren't of interest, then there's more we can suggest.

'NewlyRetired said:
On our way back from our summer vacation, we are planning to spend 2 full days in DC. Two adults and two 12 year old girls.

Any recommendations for must see's that can be accomplished over the 2 day period? I have not been since I was a kid but really more interested in things the girls would enjoy.
When will you be here?My advice to any first-time visitors (your kids) is to just walk The Mall and hit the major sites: Capitol, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, White House, Jefferson Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, WWII Memorial, and the various museums along The Mall. It's a lot of walking, especially when it's hot, but it would seem odd to visit DC for the first time and do anything else. If those types of things aren't of interest, then there's more we can suggest.
I feel for the sun burned tourist cramming into the metro at Smithsonian every afternoon. If you are pasty don't short change on the sun screen.

I grew up in Montgomery County, lived in Reston for a while and moved back to MoCo when I returned to the urea. I know I'm a small red outpost in a vast sea of blue, but I have had no desire to move back to the other side of the river.

'NewlyRetired said:
On our way back from our summer vacation, we are planning to spend 2 full days in DC. Two adults and two 12 year old girls.Any recommendations for must see's that can be accomplished over the 2 day period? I have not been since I was a kid but really more interested in things the girls would enjoy.
looking to be the last week in July.my daughter and friend might be interested in the air and space museum. Is that too adult for 12 year olds? All the items you mentioned seem like good spots to try. Is there a tour of seeing where the money is made? I remember that as a kid but forget what building it was in?

my daughter and friend might be interested in the air and space museum. Is that too adult for 12 year olds?
I personally hate that museum, but many people love it. I wouldn't say it's "too adult". The great thing is, you can easily pop in and out of several museums. If they don't like it, just leave and walk across The Mall to another one. They are all free and many of them are pretty close together.
Is there a tour of seeing where the money is made? I remember that as a kid but forget what building it was in?
Yes

'NewlyRetired said:
looking to be the last week in July.my daughter and friend might be interested in the air and space museum. Is that too adult for 12 year olds? All the items you mentioned seem like good spots to try. Is there a tour of seeing where the money is made? I remember that as a kid but forget what building it was in?
Air and Space is very popular and 12-year-olds will probably like it. I would recommend it, along with American History and Natural History. Native American is blah, and the Art Gallery is fine, but like the art museums in any city. Lincoln Memorial and Vietnam Memorial are good, and you might as well hit the WWII along the way.What are their interests? 12 year old girls might appreciate something cooler/contemporary to go along with all the historic stuff.

'NewlyRetired said:
Air and Space is very popular and 12-year-olds will probably like it. I would recommend it, along with American History and Natural History. Native American is blah, and the Art Gallery is fine, but like the art museums in any city. Lincoln Memorial and Vietnam Memorial are good, and you might as well hit the WWII along the way.What are their interests? 12 year old girls might appreciate something cooler/contemporary to go along with all the historic stuff.
Since we are only there for a couple of days I am ok with just focusing on the historic stuff since they will be studying this stuff next school year.Is it worth hiring a tour guide for one day or is this easy enough to just pound the pavement with?

'NewlyRetired said:
Air and Space should not be too adult for 12 year olds. They'd probably like that one, American History, and Natural History. Holocaust museum and the art & portrait galleries are good, but might be too boring for 12 year olds.There are also some pay museums that might be good for that age too, such as the Spy Museum, Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, and the Newseum (but none of those are free like the Smithsonian).I also almost always recommend a trip to Mount Vernon, but that one may be difficult to fit into a 2 day trip since not within the district or on Metro.

'NewlyRetired said:
Since we are only there for a couple of days I am ok with just focusing on the historic stuff since they will be studying this stuff next school year.Is it worth hiring a tour guide for one day or is this easy enough to just pound the pavement with?
No need to hire a tour guide. It's all right there on the Mall. National Archives is also cool, though it fills up fast and can be a long line. And I think the Capitol is great. Pretty cool just to be able to go in there and walk around. I was never the biggest Washington Monument fan - gives you a pretty good view, but it's kind of eh.As someone above mentioned Mount Vernon is pretty cool; I went there this year for the first time in a while and was very impressed with the new museum about Washington's life they've created. Definitely need a car to get there, though.

Can some longtime locals pass down some knowledge on local markets? I'm gonna try Eastern Market on Sunday but would like more options for the future. TIA.

I'l be back there for a couple days some time in the next month or so. The Vienna house I linked to in the B-More thread hijack is off the market. I'm going to help with the move. I'll be traveling with my 12 year old. I won't have too much time to see the sights, but I will have time to eat. So I will be looking for a couple different culinary experiences.

A place that reflects the region with quality food but casual enough.

A high powered political hang out.

Something fun, different than anything in SoCal.

Can some longtime locals pass down some knowledge on local markets? I'm gonna try Eastern Market on Sunday but would like more options for the future. TIA.
Eastern Market is great. I wouldn't got on a Sunday if you're just looking to get some meat and fish and produce and whatnot, though. They have a giant arts and crafts and antiques type thing around there every weekend, it'll be really crowded. Just go during the week when it's nothing but butchers and fishmongers and whatnot. And grab some pupusas across the street while you're there.If you're thinking Italian, here's the best-kept foodie secret in DC. It's also a great place to stock up on cheap wine.

I'l be back there for a couple days some time in the next month or so. The Vienna house I linked to in the B-More thread hijack is off the market. I'm going to help with the move. I'll be traveling with my 12 year old. I won't have too much time to see the sights, but I will have time to eat. So I will be looking for a couple different culinary experiences.A place that reflects the region with quality food but casual enough.A high powered political hang out.Something fun, different than anything in SoCal.
There are a lot of "political" options, with the caveat that I've had a Senator overhear my Pat Moynihan impression at a chain restaraunt in Pentagon City, so there's no one way to rub elbows. The Caucus Room tries to cultivate a political vibe. The bar at Bourbon Steak is seen as young DC power player's spot, although the guy you're most likely to see ther is Christian Laettner flunkie/real estate developer Brian Davis. Go and start throwing around indiscriminate Duke jokes. DC is still a steak town, so any of the big steakhouses are decent bets. I see some sites still hyping Cafe Milano (an old Bill Clinton favorite), but it's more the place to see The Real Housewives of DC and other scary cougars on the prowl nowadays.

I'm really not sure this exists. DC doesn't have a particular food that reflects the region. Crabs and crab cakes are more a Baltimore thing. They all around DC, but they really don't have as strong a tie with DC.Some say it's the halfsmoke at Ben's Chili Bowl. The food's nothing special, but it's cheap and it's somewhat of an historical establishment. Ray's the Steaks in Arlington is really good casual steak house.
Not sure what all SoCal has. Obviously you're loaded with Mexican food and that's not so much of a strong point in DC. It's getting better, but someone from SoCal should avoid it in DC.Ethiopian is big in DC, so that's an option. Many choices near U Street (also where Ben's Chili Bowl is). Not sure about in the city, but Vietnamese and Korean are big in the VA suburbs. There's a huge Vietnamese shopping center in Falls Church, not too far from the NG building, called Eden Center. If you have a car, that might be a fun place to try. There are also plenty of quality Persian, Pakistani, Afghani, and Indian places in the suburbs.

As someone above mentioned Mount Vernon is pretty cool; I went there this year for the first time in a while and was very impressed with the new museum about Washington's life they've created. Definitely need a car to get there, though.
It's also accessible by boat.

I'm really not sure this exists. DC doesn't have a particular food that reflects the region. Crabs and crab cakes are more a Baltimore thing. They all around DC, but they really don't have as strong a tie with DC.Some say it's the halfsmoke at Ben's Chili Bowl. The food's nothing special, but it's cheap and it's somewhat of an historical establishment. Ray's the Steaks in Arlington is really good casual steak house.
Not sure what all SoCal has. Obviously you're loaded with Mexican food and that's not so much of a strong point in DC. It's getting better, but someone from SoCal should avoid it in DC.Ethiopian is big in DC, so that's an option. Many choices near U Street (also where Ben's Chili Bowl is). Not sure about in the city, but Vietnamese and Korean are big in the VA suburbs. There's a huge Vietnamese shopping center in Falls Church, not too far from the NG building, called Eden Center. If you have a car, that might be a fun place to try. There are also plenty of quality Persian, Pakistani, Afghani, and Indian places in the suburbs.
Okay thanks. You too Scoob. Let's look at it this way. You can eat anywhere you want in the DC area one time only. Period. Pick a restaurant.eta: crabs will work for the fun one. my kid loves eating things in shells she gets to break into pieces. so in addition to the ONE place you would go, where's some fun crab eating near Tyson's Corner?

Last edited by a moderator:
eta: crabs will work for the fun one. my kid loves eating things in shells she gets to break into pieces. so in addition to the ONE place you would go, where's some fun crab eating near Tyson's Corner?
Nothing comes to mind in that area. Plenty of places will have crab cakes (and some will have softshell blue crabs), but not blue crabs for pickin'. There's a place called Captain Pells in Fairfax that I know has crabs. I've never been, though, so I have no idea if they're any good. Your best bet is probably the Maine Avenue Fish Market in DC. It's accessible by Metro (Waterfront station). If you want to drive, you can usually find a decent parking space. It's not a restaurant, though, and you may just end up sitting on a concrete wall picking crabs out of a brown paper sack. Of course, that just might be the best way to eat crabs.Most of the crab houses are way down the Potomac River, near the Chesapeake Bay, or closer to Baltimore. The main way most DC area people will have blue crabs is to buy a bushel and have a feast at someone's house.

Okay thanks. You too Scoob. Let's look at it this way. You can eat anywhere you want in the DC area one time only. Period. Pick a restaurant.eta: crabs will work for the fun one. my kid loves eating things in shells she gets to break into pieces. so in addition to the ONE place you would go, where's some fun crab eating near Tyson's Corner?
My favorite restaurant in DC is Central, but if you are looking for a place frequented by DC power types, I'm not sure if that would describe. I have never been to Bourbon Steak or the Oval Room, but those are the restaurants I think of more for that type of stuff (I'm sure Scoobygang or someone else can chime in with others). You could also do Old Ebbitt Grill. I think it's a bit of a tourist trap food-wise, but it's near 15th and Penn, so a close location to the White House and it's food is not too bad (and if your kid likes shelled things, they are known for their oysters).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaleo is a tapas place that is pretty well known in DC. Not really a DC native food, but the chef is fairly famous - has a chinese/spanish place in Vegas as well as a few locations around DC. Tons o' choices on the menu.

For DC atmosphere any of the places in Washington Harbour (Georgetown) are ok. The food is not great, but it is decent at places like Tony & Joe's, or Sequoia. Outdoor dining next to the Potomac River with view of the Kennedy Center.

Not sure what is in Tysons besides 10,000 chain restaurants. Maybe 15,000.

Actually, some of the restaurants in the Great American Group are near Tysons. I've been to a few and they are consistently good. I like Sweetwater Tavern.

Jaleo is a tapas place that is pretty well known in DC. Not really a DC native food, but the chef is fairly famous - has a chinese/spanish place in Vegas as well as a few locations around DC. Tons o' choices on the menu.

For DC atmosphere any of the places in Washington Harbour (Georgetown) are ok. The food is not great, but it is decent at places like Tony & Joe's, or Sequoia. Outdoor dining next to the Potomac River with view of the Kennedy Center.

Not sure what is in Tysons besides 10,000 chain restaurants. Maybe 15,000.

Actually, some of the restaurants in the Great American Group are near Tysons. I've been to a few and they are consistently good. I like Sweetwater Tavern.
The Great American Restaurants group is pretty solid. I live not far from Shirlington village and the Carlyle. The Carlyle is probably my go-to restaurant when family is visiting.

My favorite DC food spots:

in no particular order

1. Florida Avenue Grill - Great for a nice southern breakfast!

2. Cafe Atlantico - Latin Fusion at its best. Great tableside guac

3. Chinatown Express - the best singapore noodles i have ever had. And they make the noodles fresh.

4. Makoto - Pretty authentic Japananese restaurant. Chefs menu is a great deal and damn good.

5. Hill Country BBQ - we have one of these in NYC and one just opened in DC. outstanding bbq. Definitely the best i have found in DC. moist brisket cant be missed.

6. Blacksalt - i go here for my seafood fix.

7. Dukem - Ethiopean - great Ethiopian food.

8. Bukom Cafe - African - they have a mix of african cuisines. Get the Chicken Yassa! Its a Senegalese lemon chicken dish.

eta: crabs will work for the fun one. my kid loves eating things in shells she gets to break into pieces. so in addition to the ONE place you would go, where's some fun crab eating near Tyson's Corner?
Nothing comes to mind in that area. Plenty of places will have crab cakes (and some will have softshell blue crabs), but not blue crabs for pickin'.
The Dancing Crab on Wisconsin has blue crabs for picking.

Users who are viewing this thread