What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mallett (1 Viewer)

hutchins929

Footballguy
If he stays in NE behind Brady he needs an injury. NE is usually pretty good a selecting guys so I think Mallett is going to be a good pro football QB. How long, though, will he have to wait to get his opportunity? Will it be in NE and just wait 3-5 or even more years? OR Will he be traded to another team?

<title edited by FBG Mod to help with searching>

Last edited by a moderator:
When he gets traded, it wont be until late this season or next preseason. A lot of QBs who wont do anything got drafted this year. One of them or the Seahawks will end up with Mallet.

Two scenarios

1. NE will groom him to be the next franchise QB of the Patriots 3 years down the line.

2. They see Mallett as a stock (bought low), and are going to groom him to later sell him in a couple years for a high price (i.e. Cassel)

Either way, he won't be an NFL starter for 2-3 years. I do believe he will be an NFL starter though and will be good. He has all the tools, went to a great organization, and is learning from a QB who is very similar to him (statue QB).

He'll probably sign a 4 year contract. So unless something crazy happens, the Patriots will sit on him for 3 full years and then decide either to trade him before letting him walk, or to sit on him another year and let Brady go after that. So 3 years or at most 4. Too much for me to consider drafting him in any format unless I own Brady.

What type of draft pick would you spend on him and how long do you expect to keep him on your bench?

What type of return on the investment would you be happy with?

ETA: I think his situation couldn't be better and have no problem with him taking up a roster spot for this year and maybe even next year before we get a better idea on how he will pan out. His ADP is appealing as well.

What type of draft pick would you spend on him and how long do you expect to keep him on your bench?What type of return on the investment would you be happy with?ETA: I think his situation couldn't be better and have no problem with him taking up a roster spot for this year and maybe even next year before we get a better idea on how he will pan out. His ADP is appealing as well.
I think hes very worth a stash in a dynasty. I dont think for a second that BB drafted him to be a future anything on his team, more likely he drafted him to get some picks or more depth for this season.

What type of draft pick would you spend on him and how long do you expect to keep him on your bench?What type of return on the investment would you be happy with?ETA: I think his situation couldn't be better and have no problem with him taking up a roster spot for this year and maybe even next year before we get a better idea on how he will pan out. His ADP is appealing as well.
I think hes very worth a stash in a dynasty. I dont think for a second that BB drafted him to be a future anything on his team, more likely he drafted him to get some picks or more depth for this season.
And I don't think for a second he is going to be traded this year or next. His value was low this year, why will it go up within a year? Because the Pats drafted him?

And I don't think for a second he is going to be traded this year or next. His value was low this year, why will it go up within a year? Because the Pats drafted him?
If he lights the preseason on fire, some GM might get all hot and bothered. But I agree, he's going to sit on the bench for 2 season absolute minimum.

What type of draft pick would you spend on him and how long do you expect to keep him on your bench?

ETA: I think his situation couldn't be better and have no problem with him taking up a roster spot for this year and maybe even next year before we get a better idea on how he will pan out. His ADP is appealing as well.
Kinda. Half the NFL needed a QB this season. Mallet had the 2nd to 3rd highest most upside but was near the bottom in terms of risk, the risk has already been taken, the pats spent the money. Now when a couple of teams QBs dont work out which is inevitable the options are few. The Pats will straighten Mallet's attitude out then dangle him all around the league.

Why?

'shortbow said:
'massraider said:
'shortbow said:
'ChainsawU said:

Kinda. Half the NFL needed a QB this season. Mallet had the 2nd to 3rd highest most upside but was near the bottom in terms of risk, the risk has already been taken, the pats spent the money. Now when a couple of teams QBs dont work out which is inevitable the options are few. The Pats will straighten Mallet's attitude out then dangle him all around the league.
No the risk comes when someone trades MORE than the Pats paid, and hand their offense to Mallet. He's not going to get much chance to show if he is any good anytime soon, I don't see his value changing between now and week 6, the trading deadline.

Mallett is getting to learn from a guy who knows how to win games, look for Mallett to be playing in two to three years?

Look for Mallet to follow Kevin O'Connell's lead as a third round patriot qb who eventually blossomed into a solid scout team QB after 3-4 years development. Guy is a coke head with horrible decision making and an absolute statue in the pocket, he could develop into a Kerry Collins/Drew Bledsoe type QB whom I dont think would be worth much or hard to acquire later via trade and that's his ceiling.

'ChainsawU said:
I took him with the 63rd pick in an IDP league. With Drew Brees starting, I don't need him for a couple years, but with only Brees and Schaub on the roster, I could use a young gun. I wouldn't let him drop much further than that, but I wouldn't take him much higher either.Not that it matters, but Brady is already older than Bledsoe was when Tom Terrific took over. Just sayin'.

'shortbow said:
'ChainsawU said:

Why?
Value. Why does BB do anything?

think Bledsoe to Brady abdication

Brady being immobile may get hurt earlier than his 4 year contract lasts

i just have a gut feeling he'll be NE starter late 2013 season and just takes the job like Brady did over Bledsoe

BB mentioned that he threw stuff on the board at Mallet and he couldn't stump him, so his football IQ from a coach's son background obviously higher than his Wunderlic or his social decision-making

Look for Mallet to follow Kevin O'Connell's lead as a third round patriot qb who eventually blossomed into a solid scout team QB after 3-4 years development. Guy is a coke head with horrible decision making and an absolute statue in the pocket, he could develop into a Kerry Collins/Drew Bledsoe type QB whom I dont think would be worth much or hard to acquire later via trade and that's his ceiling.
So his ceiling is a top 10 (statistically) QB, all-time? I'll take that :thumbup:

I've drafted Mallett in both my dynasty leagues because the reward seemed to greatly outweigh the risk. This guy can be grabbed so late in rookie drafts it's almost criminal IMO. Mallet simply has physical tools and abilities that can not be ignored and could possible make for a franchise QB. Unfortunately his attitude, character and off-field risks are equally bad as his physical ones are good. This is exactly the kind of guy I love to buy on the cheap and just stash to see what happens. I'd place the odds of Mallett ever making a decent starter in fantasy (or the NFL for that matter) at about %10. It will take a minimum of 2 years for him to realistically get a shot at starting. Any playing time prior to that will simply be mop up duty or caused by injury to Brady or any other player in front of him. The great part about Mallett from my view is that even though that chance of him working out is only %10 or so, he is the kind of guy that is either going to work out and by great or just won't work out. I don't see any middle ground for him. Given that this guy can be had as the 7th rookie QB drafted and is almost the same as WW pickup I just don't see how it isn't worth the risk to see what happens unless you are in a league where roster space is too tight. So, like I said at the start of the post I've targeted Mallett in both my dynasty leagues as a late round roll the dice pick who isn't going to hurt me if he bombs but could become lightning in a bottle. I'll likely hang onto him for 3 years and then make a final decision on what to do with him.

Coke head, you mean like Marino coming out of Pitt?

Mallett's so called drug problem originated from his freshman year at Michigan when he started 3 games as a true freshman and won 2. At Arkansas, he had a public intox during his redshirt year. He never failed a drug test at Arkansas but was immature when he arrived and became better in his decision making on and off the field as he developed in Petrino's pro style offense. Not too far from what most college students achieve during their time in college.

Just drafted him in my leagues rookie draft. Gabbert, Newton, Locker, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick and Stanzi, were all off the board and I like Mallett sitting for two/three seasons to get "Up To Speed."

The Ryan Mallett talk has increased in here recently. He is definitely a polarizing player..

This is the game that sold me on Mallett. You can also get a good look at Stevan Ridley in this game.

This website also offers many other full games from the SEC. It's a really good way to see your "new toys" in action.

LSU vs Arkansas Nov 27, 2010 Full Game

Ryan Mallet threw for 320 yards and 3 touchdowns, as the Razorbacks upset 5th ranked LSU, 31-23.

LINK: LSU v ARK 11/27/2010

He has way too slow of a delivery, he's a lot like leftwich with his long throwing motion and he'll get crushed unless he plays behind a top 3 o-line. Should be able to hang around as a backup but relying on a statue with a slow release as a starter would be team suicide.

Not sure why he is being compared to Brady. Brady may be slow but he has great pocket awareness and a quick release.

He has way too slow of a delivery, he's a lot like leftwich with his long throwing motion and he'll get crushed unless he plays behind a top 3 o-line. Should be able to hang around as a backup but relying on a statue with a slow release as a starter would be team suicide.Not sure why he is being compared to Brady. Brady may be slow but he has great pocket awareness and a quick release.
Are you saying Arkansas had a top 3 0-line? Exactly how many times do you think Mallett was sacked over the last two years?

I kno its just preseason, but Mallett is seriously lighting it up....very impressive

Mallett will be starting in the NFL. Not sure where, but he looks like he belongs in the league.

First time I saw him play for Arkansas I commented this guy was a #1 overall draft pick. And I still think he should have been.

His one knock was slow in the pocket with poor awareness, but as good as he's been I think his most impressive play to me was his first, a nothing dump off, but he slide around in the pocket and stepped up, avoiding two guys and dumped it off. If he can work on his pocket awareness and footwork for 2-3 years behind Brady, Pats will be flipping him for a first.

By the end of August, every GM who drafted a QB and passed on Mallett will be looking silly.

Ahhh, August. :)

Mallett will be starting in the NFL. Not sure where, but he looks like he belongs in the league.First time I saw him play for Arkansas I commented this guy was a #1 overall draft pick. And I still think he should have been.His one knock was slow in the pocket with poor awareness, but as good as he's been I think his most impressive play to me was his first, a nothing dump off, but he slide around in the pocket and stepped up, avoiding two guys and dumped it off. If he can work on his pocket awareness and footwork for 2-3 years behind Brady, Pats will be flipping him for a first.By the end of August, every GM who drafted a QB and passed on Mallett will be looking silly.Ahhh, August. :)
Gotta love 1st game of the preseason overreaction posts. :lmao:

Mallett will be starting in the NFL. Not sure where, but he looks like he belongs in the league.First time I saw him play for Arkansas I commented this guy was a #1 overall draft pick. And I still think he should have been.His one knock was slow in the pocket with poor awareness, but as good as he's been I think his most impressive play to me was his first, a nothing dump off, but he slide around in the pocket and stepped up, avoiding two guys and dumped it off. If he can work on his pocket awareness and footwork for 2-3 years behind Brady, Pats will be flipping him for a first.By the end of August, every GM who drafted a QB and passed on Mallett will be looking silly.Ahhh, August. :)
Hahaha. I know. At least I self-awarely signed off acknowledging as much. That being said, yeah yeah, it's just the preseason, first game, etc., but I gotta imagine a lot of GMs watching that game would think either Hoyer or Mallett would be #1 on their team's depth chart. (*cough* Shanny *cough*)

Its not the results. Its how he reacted. He quick hopped/shuffled his feet ala manning and brady while in the pocket. That shows advanced mechanics. He also easily avoided pressure up the middle by sidestepping while keeping his eyes down field, nd then hit his third option for the 5 yard gain.I was impressed with how he looked in the pocket.

Ummm did you see how he threw the ball? wow

Its not the results. Its how he reacted. He quick hopped/shuffled his feet ala manning and brady while in the pocket. That shows advanced mechanics. He also easily avoided pressure up the middle by sidestepping while keeping his eyes down field, nd then hit his third option for the 5 yard gain.I was impressed with how he looked in the pocket.
It wasn't his play or skill that made him drop. I have no doubt that he'll continue to look good on the field. The question is whether he matures off it.

I don't even care. Pete carroll should offer a 2nd for him right now. Im still pissed seattle didn't take him there.

I'm not sure I understand why everyone think Tom Brady is going to play until he is 38 years old just because he has a 4 year contract. Maybe I am wrong but it does not seem to me that most veterans play out their final contract and retire. I thought usually they sign contracts longer than they intend to play to get a larger bonus on signing the contract?

In any case, Tom Brady is 34 and while he can certainly play until he is 38 years old I'm not sure any of us know how long he intends to play. It certainly makes sense for the Patriots to bring in a young QB to develop. I suspect Mallett sits behind Brady for probably a couple of years anyway unless Brady decides to retire. In a couple of years NE will evaluate their QB situation and either trade Mallett or he may become starter if he looks good and Brady is ready to hang it up.

Exactly. Between Vick reinforcing what I already thought about how great his arm is, Mallet was the most impressive thing I saw last night. For exactly the reasons you say. His pocket presence and ability to move looked WAY beyond a rookie. I also could not believe he is 6' 7". Moves like a guy that is 6' 2". Where Peyton Manning looks like a tree back there (but still gets the advantage of his height), Mallet moved way more fluidly and elusively. Really liked what I saw.Yes, it's preseason. But pocket presence isn't a fluke. J

No the risk comes when someone trades MORE than the Pats paid, and hand their offense to Mallet. He's not going to get much chance to show if he is any good anytime soon, I don't see his value changing between now and week 6, the trading deadline.
The trade deadline for this season is irrelevant, the Pats didn't draft him to trade him this year. Rather, his true trade value is in the next couple of offseasons, when teams decide to move on from what they have. Quality starting QB are rarely available in free agency, so you are left with other teams' backups and college QBs. And, assuming he keeps his nose clean (figuratively and literally, according to some reports), Mallet, given that he will have put in a year or two in NFL practices, will be looked by many at as a lesser risk than a college QB.

The trade deadline for this season is irrelevant, the Pats didn't draft him to trade him this year.
In the discussion you quoted, it is relevant, seeing how the guy I quoted claimed he was getting traded this year.Hence, the relevant trade deadline.

The trade deadline for this season is irrelevant, the Pats didn't draft him to trade him this year.
In the discussion you quoted, it is relevant, seeing how the guy I quoted claimed he was getting traded this year.Hence, the relevant trade deadline.
I don't see where anyone thinks he'll be traded by this season's trade deadline. "Within a year" refers to a year after the April 2011 draft, and thus includes next offseason. I think it will take a second year before the the character concerns die down, but its possible someone will bite next offseason. Like the Redskins.

This entire conversation is ridiculous . He's playing the jags third string defense with all vanilla coverages and fronts . That's like Arkansas vs Sacramento state of course he's gonna look good.

Exactly. Between Vick reinforcing what I already thought about how great his arm is, Mallet was the most impressive thing I saw last night. For exactly the reasons you say. His pocket presence and ability to move looked WAY beyond a rookie. I also could not believe he is 6' 7". Moves like a guy that is 6' 2". Where Peyton Manning looks like a tree back there (but still gets the advantage of his height), Mallet moved way more fluidly and elusively. Really liked what I saw.Yes, it's preseason. But pocket presence isn't a fluke. J
Good point about him not moving like a lumbering 6'7 Frankenstein. He had one play where he rolled out without looking like a total stiff and then managed to throw a real laser, albeit incomplete.But regardless, this just proved what I saw when he was at Arkansas - the dude has a very special arm. As of today, Mallett is making throws that maybe only 2-3 other NFL QBs have the arm to make. Of course, that is all for naught if you can't figure out who to throw the ball to and how to deliver it accurately.

I think in the next few years Mallett could go for a Kolb type price and Hoyer could also get a solid pick. But if I were them I would trade Hoyer after this year for maybe a 3rd rounder, and keep Mallett as a long term option.

Here's something from Boston Globe's Greg Bedard to keep things in perspective. He had a great breakdown with tons of detail for a preseason game.

By Greg A. Bedard, Globe Staff

With 15 starters combined on both sides of the ball sitting out the exhibition opener against the Jaguars, there was some good and some bad for the younger Patriots in their 47-12 victory last night.

Here’s a breakdown of how each positional unit fared overall in the game.

QUARTERBACKS (Rating: 3.5 out of 5)

When combine to complete 27 of 40 passes (67.5 percent) for 335 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions, that’s a pretty good day at the office. But let’s be honest, there wasn’t a very high degree of difficulty both in pressure faced, and coverages. The Jaguars blitz just three times in 40 dropbacks (7.5 percent), and those were all five-man pressures. They zone blitzed once with four rushers. And the Jaguars played a ton of soft zone. Brian Hoyer had three plus throws, and another plus decision when he audibled into a better play. He certainly knows how to run a team. The only thing holding him back at this point are little mistakes that you would like to see get cleaned up. Minor accuracy things like not hitting an open Julian Edelman, or throwing it behind Aaron Hernandez instead of leading him at the goal line. Some NFL scouts watching the game thought that Hoyer missed some open receivers. The touchdown throw and catch from Hoyer to Taylor Price was something else. Both Nate Solder and Steve Maneri gave up pressures on the play, but Hoyer hung in and delivered a pass that allowed Price to tiptoe the back of the end zone. Ryan Mallett had about the same kind of night as Hoyer, but got more comfortable as the night went on. On his first pass he held the ball for 4.82 seconds, which just can’t happen. Then he and Taylor Price hooked up on a very nice quick out. Then on Mallett’s third pass he left the pocket too early, and that caused the pass to Darnell Jenkins to be late. Sometimes you just have hang in and take the shot. Mallett had a delay of game penalty, and two throws that were off target after that, but on the whole he showed a lot. And the more he stayed in designed rhythm of this offense, the better he did. Mallett’s 15-yard laser beam to Price with 14:37 left in the fourth quarter showed his immense promise. All in all, a very good first outing.

Users who are viewing this thread