What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breastfeeding (1 Viewer)

the moops

Footballguy
It is very hard work for the mother, no doubt. But with all the amazing benefits for the infant and the mother, I am curious how people justify giving formula to their child. Obviously I am not talking about when it is medically necessary, or the mother can't nurse. But the benefits are staggering.

From wiki

Benefits for the infant

2.1 Greater immune health

2.2 Fewer infections

2.3 Protection from SIDS

2.4 Higher intelligence

2.5 Less diabetes

2.6 Less childhood obesity

2.7 Less tendency to develop allergic diseases (atopy)

2.8 Less necrotizing enterocolitis in premature infants

2.9 Other long term health effects

2.10 Less overweight

Benefits for mothers

3.1 Bonding

3.2 Hormone release

3.3 Weight loss

3.4 Natural postpartum infertility

3.5 Long-term health effects

There are plenty of medically legit reasons. But, I assume you're talking about simply choosing formula over breastfeeding. In that scenario, yeah, you're right.

We have a 2 month old, and my wife does breat feed. But the vast majority of people in our neighboorhood do not. The common explanation, for those that were able, "I tried, but i just really didn't like it"

We have a 2 month old, and my wife does breat feed. But the vast majority of people in our neighboorhood do not. The common explanation, for those that were able, "I tried, but i just really didn't like it"
This is more what I am talking about. I find that reasoning detestable.

I'll add another important benefit. My wife was able to slim down super fast to her original size 4. It's like a miracle weight loss plan. Breastfeeding also provides a necessary bond between child and mother in the first few months. It's healthy really for both.

My wife pumped. But as for kids drinking right from the tap, she tried for a week and she was miserable. Most times the baby wouldn't latch on, it was painful and she was crying all the time.

My opinion is, why not pump rather than going right for formula?

I think our situation is similar to many others. By pumping the baby still gets all of those benefits, but the woman doesn't have the problems associated with latching on and so on. Also, by pumping the dad can help with night feedings.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife pumped. But as for kids drinking right from the tap, she tried for a week and she was miserable. Most times the baby wouldn't latch on, it was painful and she was crying all the time.My opinion is, why not pump rather than going right for formula? I think our situation is similar to many others. By pumping the baby still gets all of those benefits, but the woman doesn't have the problems associated with latching on and so on. Also, by pumping the dad can help with night feedings.
Seems like so much more work to do. You lose some of the milk in the pumping process, you lose sterile conditions if any of the pumping equiment isn't santized properly. As with formula, you have to spend a lot of time, prep, and energy to heat to the right temperature. The pain associated with breastfeeding I have understood to be the part of the baby using too much suction pressure on the nipple. But eventually moms tough it out and get used to it. Plus, the emotional impact of baby on mom's chest is a huge connecting point to their relationship. I agree with the OP, breastfeeding rules.

It can be difficult and frustrating to start so I imagine some moms give up early.
Yeah, with our first my wife tried and tried, but with much depression going on and it being our first we gave up about a week in. It wrecked her. Luckily, she was bound and determined with our second and thankfully it took despite several bouts with mastitis (super painful infection for the mom) and our son getting RSV and being hospitalized for several days at about 3 weeks old. My wife was a trooper though and nursed him through it all despite all the wires and things hanging off of him. It really was brutal with our first son...I was worried about her state of mind and guilt when we had to go to formula. The Lacto-nazis need to chill.

My wife pumped. But as for kids drinking right from the tap, she tried for a week and she was miserable. Most times the baby wouldn't latch on, it was painful and she was crying all the time.My opinion is, why not pump rather than going right for formula? I think our situation is similar to many others. By pumping the baby still gets all of those benefits, but the woman doesn't have the problems associated with latching on and so on. Also, by pumping the dad can help with night feedings.
This is pretty much what happened with my GF, not so much with the crying, but the difficulties, frustration and misery was there. She had to put a little plastic thing on her nip, that lasted for a couple of months and then she went to teh pump. Hulkbaby had 6 mumfs or so of breast-milk and he's a healthy giant-baby now.

It can be difficult and frustrating to start so I imagine some moms give up early.
Yeah, with our first my wife tried and tried, but with much depression going on and it being our first we gave up about a week in. It wrecked her. Luckily, she was bound and determined with our second and thankfully it took despite several bouts with mastitis (super painful infection for the mom) and our son getting RSV and being hospitalized for several days at about 3 weeks old. My wife was a trooper though and nursed him through it all despite all the wires and things hanging off of him. It really was brutal with our first son...I was worried about her state of mind and guilt when we had to go to formula. The Lacto-nazis need to chill.
:goodposting:

Thats amazing. How can a new mother be that selfish? Just pathetic.My respect level for my wife and moms who breastfeed went up a ton when I saw firsthand how difficult it is.

My wife hated to do it and stopped after a week. Fine with me since she had been preggo for the past 40 weeks and wanted to get back to normal and never intended to continue when she returned to work.

I think this is blown way out of proportion.

With my first kid, my wife went into emergency surgery right after delivery. Since my daughter was hungry, the hospital gave her a bottle.

When my wife recovered, she tried very hard to get my daughter to breastfeed. But my daughter liked the sweetness that formula provided and she refused the breast.

It devastated my wife. She thought she wasn't doing her job as a mom. But it was horrible hearing a newborn cry out for food due to hunger.

So it was feed her formula or just not let her eat. Did we make the right choice? :rolleyes:

She is now a very healthy 7 1/2 year old that is 52" tall and weighs about 65 lbs. Will be entering 3rd grade at the age of 7.

Has a great bond with my wife, etc.

I really think people that look down on moms who choose not to breastfeed need to find something else to complain about.

I think this is blown way out of proportion.With my first kid, my wife went into emergency surgery right after delivery. Since my daughter was hungry, the hospital gave her a bottle.When my wife recovered, she tried very hard to get my daughter to breastfeed. But my daughter liked the sweetness that formula provided and she refused the breast.It devastated my wife. She thought she wasn't doing her job as a mom. But it was horrible hearing a newborn cry out for food due to hunger.So it was feed her formula or just not let her eat. Did we make the right choice? :rolleyes:She is now a very healthy 7 1/2 year old that is 52" tall and weighs about 65 lbs. Will be entering 3rd grade at the age of 7.Has a great bond with my wife, etc.I really think people that look down on moms who choose not to breastfeed need to find something else to complain about.
To be clear, I think you need to re-read the OP.I think the OP clearly excused moms who couldn't perform due to medical reasons. I think he is implying some disdain for those moms who just can't be bothered with it due to low pain tolerance or their priorities are getting back to their jobs/professions on a fast track.

You cannot possibly cover all the advantages that breastfeeding has over formula. If anyone is having problems with the baby latching on I would stress getting a commercial quality breast pump and to get serious with it. Our 6-month-old never really took to the breast and I see the anguish that my wife has, like she is letting him down, or that he is rejecting her; I don't know what I would do if our son outright rejected her milk. My older son, on the other hand, nursed for 1 year, and fed like a champ. One of the more interesting things I ever saw was when my infant (maybe 3-4 months-old) son, who would be sound asleep would snuggle up under my wife's shirt, who also was sound asleep, and start to nurse off of her; children are amazing.

To be clear, I think you need to re-read the OP.I think the OP clearly excused moms who couldn't perform due to medical reasons. I think he is implying some disdain for those moms who just can't be bothered with it due to low pain tolerance or their priorities are getting back to their jobs/professions on a fast track.

I think this is blown way out of proportion.With my first kid, my wife went into emergency surgery right after delivery. Since my daughter was hungry, the hospital gave her a bottle.When my wife recovered, she tried very hard to get my daughter to breastfeed. But my daughter liked the sweetness that formula provided and she refused the breast.It devastated my wife. She thought she wasn't doing her job as a mom. But it was horrible hearing a newborn cry out for food due to hunger.So it was feed her formula or just not let her eat. Did we make the right choice? :rolleyes:She is now a very healthy 7 1/2 year old that is 52" tall and weighs about 65 lbs. Will be entering 3rd grade at the age of 7.Has a great bond with my wife, etc.I really think people that look down on moms who choose not to breastfeed need to find something else to complain about.
But, that doesn't excuse the 'lacto-nazi's' that are in abundance. My wife was not able to breastfeed any of our 3 kids. She was completely devastated each time. Any time she sees or hears anything like this, she falls right back into the same feelings she had before.All 3 of my kids are very high on the growth charts. My oldest is going into kindergarten at 5 and tested high on the 6 year old level. My almost 3 year old son is OFF the growth chart in height. All 3 are very healthy, rarely sick and there is no shortage of a "bond' between them and my wife. Some of the stuff they come up with in these studies is utter crap.

It's a mother's decision. Smart fathers know this. Plenty of bottle-fed kids turn out just fine just as plenty of breast fed kids have health problems. i think the "UNDENIABLE BENEFITS TO MOTHER AND CHILD@$E!@I($IO!!@!" are blown way out of proportion.

Most of the medical issues that lead women to quitting early can be overcome through pain tolerance, treatment, and adivce, but who are you to say when too much is too much? There's something incredibly ironic about a group of men criticizing women on their breast feeding pain tolerance.And I would consider a parent's job pretty important to a child's long-term development. Some businesses simply do not give adequate time off or long-term payment options. If a Mom has to work to make money or keep her career on track then she has to work.There are certainly women who couldn't care less about their children, but not being breast-fed is going to be the least of the problems those kids face.

It is very hard work for the mother, no doubt. But with all the amazing benefits for the infant and the mother, I am curious how people justify giving formula to their child. Obviously I am not talking about when it is medically necessary, or the mother can't nurse. But the benefits are staggering.

From wiki

Benefits for the infant

2.1 Greater immune health

2.2 Fewer infections

2.3 Protection from SIDS

2.4 Higher intelligence

2.5 Less diabetes

2.6 Less childhood obesity

2.7 Less tendency to develop allergic diseases (atopy)

2.8 Less necrotizing enterocolitis in premature infants

2.9 Other long term health effects

2.10 Less overweight

Benefits for mothers

3.1 Bonding

3.2 Hormone release

3.3 Weight loss

3.4 Natural postpartum infertility

3.5 Long-term health effects
Just be careful with this benefit. It's hard to tell when infertility ends, it's not 100% tied to the return of the .

And I would consider a parent's job pretty important to a child's long-term development. Some businesses simply do not give adequate time off or long-term payment options. If a Mom has to work to make money or keep her career on track then she has to work.
Federal LawEmployers are to require employers to provide reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for one year after the child’s birth each time such employee has need to express the milk. Employers are also required to provide a place, other than a bathroom, that is shielded from view and free from intrusion from coworkers and the public, which may be used by an employee to express breast milk.

This is similar to our experience. Our son was very hungry and there was very little milk. So after an hour, my wife is crying and has a bloody nipples while our son was still hungry. Apparently after an hour, it is just downright painful. And if she stopped, he wanted more an hour later. She gave up after about a week.We tried pumping and got maybe 1/4 of what our son wanted to eat. My wife gave up pumping in about a week.

I think hospitals are too quick to shove formula into a babies mouth after birth. Did they check with you beforehand to find out if she planned to breastfeed or not?A new mother doesn't product milk right away and they say that is perfectly fine, the baby has enough leftover nourishment to last until it usually comes in. Yet, within an hour of birth they have to shove in a bottle of formula?

How come people don't use wet nurses anymore? Seems like a good wet nurse could probably fetch a nice salary for what's really part time work you can do while watching TV. And why isn't human milk sold in stores? There are lots of poor people out there to be milked.

It's a mother's decision. Smart fathers know this. Plenty of bottle-fed kids turn out just fine just as plenty of breast fed kids have health problems. i think the "UNDENIABLE BENEFITS TO MOTHER AND CHILD@$E!@I($IO!!@!" are blown way out of proportion.

I think the "UNDENIABLE BENEFITS TO MOTHER AND CHILD@$E!@I($IO!!@!" are blown way out of proportion.
This might blow this thread way the he|| up, but:I didn't think the science behind the benefits of breast-feeding was anywhere near settled. Some studies say breast-feedings kills formula. Others say formula and breast-feeding are similar enough. I also have a lot of personal doubts about correlational studies that take 1000 kids from each group and perform counts to "prove" causality.

And I would consider a parent's job pretty important to a child's long-term development. Some businesses simply do not give adequate time off or long-term payment options. If a Mom has to work to make money or keep her career on track then she has to work.
Federal LawEmployers are to require employers to provide reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for one year after the child’s birth each time such employee has need to express the milk. Employers are also required to provide a place, other than a bathroom, that is shielded from view and free from intrusion from coworkers and the public, which may be used by an employee to express breast milk.
I'm referring to mothers who may not be able to take the time away from work to get her child to properly breast-feed to begin with. If a mother was never able to get a baby to breast-feed she isn't going to be in a position to pump.

I think the nurses gave my hungry son a bottle before they even got my wife out of the operating room (she has a c-section).

I'm referring to mothers who may not be able to take the time away from work to get her child to properly breast-feed to begin with. If a mother was never able to get a baby to breast-feed she isn't going to be in a position to pump.
If I was you, responding this statement, I would say something along the lines of "well, these women shouldn't be having children in the first place"

If I was you, responding this statement, I would say something along the lines of "well, these women shouldn't be having children in the first place"
You're wrong to make this choice for other people. You and your wife are doing what's right for your family in accord to your own values, but you can't hold other people's decisions about this matter against them.

You're wrong to make this choice for other people. You and your wife are doing what's right for your family in accord to your own values, but you can't hold other people's decisions about this matter against them.
Sure I can:shrug:

Yeah, but it makes you sound like an idiot. If you're okay with that, carry on.

I think the nurses gave my hungry son a bottle before they even got my wife out of the operating room (she has a c-section).
I would be really surprised if this happened, but I'm no expert.

Yeah, but it makes you sound like an idiot. If you're okay with that, carry on.
You HAVE seen the list of baby names he came up with, right?

Users who are viewing this thread