What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chicago Bears 2012 Offseason Thread (2 Viewers)

If I were McCaskey:

I'd fire everyone from Angelo on down. I'd try to get Jon Gruden to leave TV. If that didn't work, I'd go with my backup plan of Cowher. Roy Williams, Caleb Hanie and Marion Barber would be cut. Offensive Line and Receivers would be my top priority, and I would abandon the frugal approach. Need some big time talent.

Interestingly enough, I agree that it's time for Angelo to leave. He has had more misses than hits on draft picks and free agents.

I'm middle of the road on Lovie Smith. I think he's a good coach.

Mike Martz is gone and if not, i'd be upset.

The biggest coaching move is for Chicago to bring back Dave Toub. By far the best Special Teams coach in the NFL. However, he has no contract now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most important thing is to get the passing attack improved. If not, it could be a long decade with Rodgers and Stafford in the division. Jay has the ability, but the WR and OL needs to get better, now.

I haven't looked at the list of FAs yet, but off the top of my head I'm thinking the Bears should sign Manningham and draft the TOP OG (decastro) or top Center (which I think is a Wisconsin kid)

at least that would be the base for an improved Offense.

The need areas (not in any specific order):

QB: Backup QB is needed. Josh McCown showed some ability in the last 2 games so he probably has put himself in the conversation heading into the off-season, something most thought would not occur. If Martz is not brought back, this could lessen the odds of McCown coming back although I think he's going to be considered. They could take a QB in the middle rounds of the draft again if they decide to try and shore up both the #2 and #3 spots on the roster.

WR: Something has to change here. Roy Williams is not a #1, and probably no better than a #4 - way too many dropped passes. Earl Bennett is the best WR on the roster, but he is more of a possession type. He could look good as a #2 if the team got an upgrade in their top WR spot. Johnny Knox is expected to be back for training camp next season, but even if he is completely healthy, he shouldn't be more than a #3. Devin Hester should be used in the slot only and for occasional snaps. He is best suited primarily returning kicks.

TE: Depending on what happens with the offensive coordinator, a pass catching TE could be back on the list. For now, the Bears prefer blocking from this position, but that could change.

OL: Next season, the Bears will get 2 first rounders back - RT Gabe Carimi and LG Chris Williams. That will help the line, but a new LT needs to be found J'Marcus Webb compromises the entire offense since he needs help all the time. This unit does run block very well, but pass blocking is the issue. With all the youth currently on this line, I would expect this spot to be added in free agency, if an upgrade exists.

DL: Israel Idonije is a nice DE - an effort player who does contribute, but I think he's best suited as a 3rd DE, rotating in at both spots and occasionally moving inside. The front four has to generate more pressure. Too often, it's Julius Peppers or nothing. Henry Melton did provide some occasional pressure inside so he'll be looked upon to continue to improve. An upgrade at DE is needed though.

LB: The Bears survived a scare with Brian Urlacher's knee injury, but they won't be able to escape age for much longer. Both Urlacher and Lance Briggs have advancing age, and there is no youth behind them. It may be time to consider a mid-round pick on a LB to provide a young player with potential upside in case of injury.

CB: Charles "peanut" Tillman has been outstanding the past two seasons, and has a great career for the Bears. He's also old and on the other side, Tim Jennings, seemed to be having a good season until a few plays got him benched. He's a free agent so not sure if he'll be brought back (he did start the last game). I would think resigning him would make sense, but again, this is yet another spot where youth needs to come in.

S: Chris Conte, the 3rd round pick, understood what it means to play deep. He is likely to start next season. Major Wright showed some promise, but can't stay healthy. He's still an issue in pass coverage though. He may receive a challenge. Craig Steltz is a good run defender, and is a free agent. He doesn't have the athleticism to play free safety, but does contribute on special teams.

The Bears are rumored to be very active in free agency, and there will be a ton of free agents due to many players signing 1 year deals after the lockout ended. I expect that they will try to land a LT, backup QB (which could be McCown) and WR in free agency on the offensive side - these two additions would likely be extremely expensive though so they could sign a LT who's not necessarily good, but could challenge Webb and provide veteran insurance. If that's the case, and they do spend a bit less on an free agent OL, the other position they could pursue, if available, is a pass rushing DE to complement Peppers. If they address these 3 areas in free agency, they can then use the draft to add a CB, depth at LB, and perhaps another lineman on both sides of the ball with their first 4 picks (in the first 3 rounds).

Anybody else want to see C Williams get another shot at LT? Tice always talks about wanting his five best out there....I think in a perfect world the line would be Williams-Louis-Garza-Spencer-Carimi.

I actually would like to see Martz stick around for Cutlers sake. He also seems to really get the most out of Forte. We were scoring alot of points before the injuries. Having said that....Id like to see a legit go up and get it receiver brought in. And of course lets be smarter about our backup qb please.

So what I am getting at is.....I would like priority number one to be getting the defense younger and more complete. I love what the Giants did all those years loading up on stud pass rushers. We could use all kinds of help in the secondary....and then of course Urlacher is not getting any younger and Briggs is a pain with the trade demand crap.

Cutler needs a go-to weapon. The offense goes through and around Forte as it should, but when they're in catch up mode Cutler doesn't have a crutch to lean on. Earl Bennett's fine, but he's not a game breaker. I usually balk at free agent WR's, but Chicago is one of those situations in which I think it'd work.

Other than that, keep building through the draft and focus on maintaining your identity on defense. From here it looks like the secondary is the biggest problem.

Cutler needs a go-to weapon. The offense goes through and around Forte as it should, but when they're in catch up mode Cutler doesn't have a crutch to lean on. Earl Bennett's fine, but he's not a game breaker. I usually balk at free agent WR's, but Chicago is one of those situations in which I think it'd work.

Other than that, keep building through the draft and focus on maintaining your identity on defense. From here it looks like the secondary is the biggest problem.
Sorry to pick on this, but I say we START to build through the draft. Angelo has this roster seriously lacking depth in almost all areas after many terrible drafts. Shiitcan Angelo, keep Lovie and most of his coordinators. I am lukewarm to Martz coming back, but I don't think he has had much to work with outside of Cutler and Forte.

Anybody else want to see C Williams get another shot at LT? Tice always talks about wanting his five best out there....I think in a perfect world the line would be Williams-Louis-Garza-Spencer-Carimi.I actually would like to see Martz stick around for Cutlers sake. He also seems to really get the most out of Forte. We were scoring alot of points before the injuries. Having said that....Id like to see a legit go up and get it receiver brought in. And of course lets be smarter about our backup qb please.So what I am getting at is.....I would like priority number one to be getting the defense younger and more complete. I love what the Giants did all those years loading up on stud pass rushers. We could use all kinds of help in the secondary....and then of course Urlacher is not getting any younger and Briggs is a pain with the trade demand crap.
I think Chris Williams found a home at left guard. He's very athletic, and did get a great job of leading on the pulling run plays to the right. I think Williams showed on more than one occasion though that his skill set is not best used on the edge. I think the LT spot is one most likely to change with help from the outside. Williams will be back at LG, Garza at C, and Carimi at RT. I think the Bears will attempt to resign Chris Spencer as the RG, but that spot could get competition from Lance Louis, who faded as the season wore on at RT, but has proven to be a useful player.I also would like to see Martz stick around. He doesn't always run the ball as much as might make sense, and usually needs a Lovie Smith sit-down to revisit the running game, but the offense was playing well when Cutler and Forte were healthy. They just need more weapons on the outside - at least one more, and improved pass blocking from the offensive line. It would be great if they didn't have to compromise the offense with as much TE blocking as they used this season on the edges.If the Bears add 1-2 key players in free agency on the offensive side, my guess is that they will look to the draft to shore up some of the age issues on the defensive side.

Anybody else want to see C Williams get another shot at LT? Tice always talks about wanting his five best out there....I think in a perfect world the line would be Williams-Louis-Garza-Spencer-Carimi.I actually would like to see Martz stick around for Cutlers sake. He also seems to really get the most out of Forte. We were scoring alot of points before the injuries. Having said that....Id like to see a legit go up and get it receiver brought in. And of course lets be smarter about our backup qb please.So what I am getting at is.....I would like priority number one to be getting the defense younger and more complete. I love what the Giants did all those years loading up on stud pass rushers. We could use all kinds of help in the secondary....and then of course Urlacher is not getting any younger and Briggs is a pain with the trade demand crap.
I think Chris Williams found a home at left guard. He's very athletic, and did get a great job of leading on the pulling run plays to the right. I think Williams showed on more than one occasion though that his skill set is not best used on the edge. I think the LT spot is one most likely to change with help from the outside. Williams will be back at LG, Garza at C, and Carimi at RT. I think the Bears will attempt to resign Chris Spencer as the RG, but that spot could get competition from Lance Louis, who faded as the season wore on at RT, but has proven to be a useful player.I also would like to see Martz stick around. He doesn't always run the ball as much as might make sense, and usually needs a Lovie Smith sit-down to revisit the running game, but the offense was playing well when Cutler and Forte were healthy. They just need more weapons on the outside - at least one more, and improved pass blocking from the offensive line. It would be great if they didn't have to compromise the offense with as much TE blocking as they used this season on the edges.If the Bears add 1-2 key players in free agency on the offensive side, my guess is that they will look to the draft to shore up some of the age issues on the defensive side.
I say keep Williams at LG too. He showed he can play the position effectively. He never came close to showing that at LT.

Fire Angelo and Martz, neither will probably happen, though. Martz has shown he can succeed if everything is perfect. If players go down or don't play up to the level he expects, he's shown over and over again that he refuses to adjust his game plan. His play calling after Cutler and Forte went down barely changed, if at all. His days of being the brilliant offensive coordinator died over a decade ago. Now all he does is get QBs killed and tears apart offenses, so when he leaves a team, the offense is in shambles.

PAY FORTE!!! The guy carries our offense. All you have to do is look at his numbers, and then look at the teams numbers after he went down. Angelo is a moron.

#1- Sign Matty, give him the #2 or #3 RB contract of all time- he's earned it

#2- Sign a WR in free agency that fits the system and is big

#3- Draft a CB to go opposite of Tillman (should of done this instead of drafting Benson)

#4- Backup QB just in case this happens again

#5- A 3rd DE to go into the rotation with Pep and Izzy

#6- Start building our future LB's that will be next to Roach

Free agent signing of Mario Manningham and/or Laurent Robinson. Preferably both. Don't waste time or early draft spot on a Rookie WR you have to bring up to speed. Those other two guys could probably be brought in on the relatively cheap. Use your draft pick for O-line, Linebacker and D-line

Most important thing is to get the passing attack improved. If not, it could be a long decade with Rodgers and Stafford in the division. Jay has the ability, but the WR and OL needs to get better, now.
Wouldn't that mean that the DL and DBs are more of a priority?
I don't think so. Today's game is all about passing, and there aren't too many teams that can stop high powered passing attacks

I don't think so. Today's game is all about passing, and there aren't too many teams that can stop high powered passing attacks
:goodposting:Bears finished 5th worst in the NFL in pass defense.The four team that finished worse than them are....Packers, Pats, Giants, Saints

Jerry Angelo has been fired as Bears GM.Wonder if Lovie is safe...
This is great news as long as Matt Millen's phone isn't ringing. Here are my thoughts from the regular season thread.
I'll be honest with you the only person I'd like to see gone is Angelo. Too many years of glossing over personnel deficiencies and not filling roster needs. I'll be glad when he's gone and don't have to listen to his smug "we're comfortable with who we have" BS. I know Lovie and Martz aren't popular right now, but I don't feel the need to can them. I'm probably delusional, but IMO the Bears still have a window of opportunity to do some post season damage and changing schemes won't help that. I'm not thrilled with Lovie but he's at worst an average head coach. If they would bring in a Gruden or Cowher I'd personally throw Lovie out, but I honestly don't believe Chicago would get an upgrade if they canned Lovie. Chicago can win with (in spite of) Lovie, I don't know if that would apply to whoever they hired to replace him.As for Martz I believe his system works. Cutler has now been in Martz's offensive scheme for two years in a row and while I think he made tremendous strides, IMO he still has the ability to get even better. Martz absolutely needs to continue to conform the scheme to fit the team's current strengths and weaknesses, but the system works. Fewer seven step drops, more shotgun on obvious passing downs, and more planned rollouts would be easy to implement. IMO the offense turned the corner before Culter got hurt. Look at the last 5 games Cutler started, the Bears averaged:348 net yards per game (season rank would be 15th)32 points per game (season rank would be 3rd)17 points per game allowed (season rank would be 4th)Yeah, it could have been just a hot streak against some weak teams (Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, Detroit, San Diego) but it appeared to me the offense was starting to roll. I'm not suggesting they could post those numbers for a season, but a team with an above average offense and above average defense is not something that needs blown up. Shore up the o-line and get a real #1 WR (Dwayne Bowe would look good in blue/orange) and the offense could be lethal. The defense while declining, is still solid enough. With a potent offense the Chicago D no longer has to keep opponents under 14 points to get a win. Sure, I'd love to watch a current version of the '85 defense but with so many needs it's going to be a long and slow rebuilding process defensively.It sucks that the season is over and It's frustrating to watch the implosion, but honestly didn't we all see it coming once Cutler went out? At least we know that Caleb Hanie is not the answer.

:goodposting:Bears finished 5th worst in the NFL in pass defense.The four team that finished worse than them are....Packers, Pats, Giants, Saints
I agree with the premise, but these teams are a little misleading. Most teams had to pass to keep up with those guys, not so much with the Bears.

Wow, Angelo is gone, eh?

This is interesting on a whole bunch of levels. Does this change the Cutler paradigm? He was playing well before getting hurt, and presumably if Lovie is safe nothing changes in 2012. But a new GM is going to have his own ideas about how to build the franchise, and he's going to see the likes of Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford in his division and realize that they need to be able to hold serve.

Wow, Angelo is gone, eh?This is interesting on a whole bunch of levels. Does this change the Cutler paradigm? He was playing well before getting hurt, and presumably if Lovie is safe nothing changes in 2012. But a new GM is going to have his own ideas about how to build the franchise, and he's going to see the likes of Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford in his division and realize that they need to be able to hold serve.
Mike Martz isn't under contract.Dave Toub(the best ST coach in the NFL) also isn't under contract either. He's interviewing for the Miami HC job.I agree it will be interesting in Chicago, but hopefully it will help save Cutler from being killed.

My first thought is that if Lovie were to be fired, why not announce that as well? Unless, the new GM will be allowed to make that decision.

The assumption is that a top tier GM would want his own coach and a lesser GM may be forced to keep Lovie Smith in place.

I do think that Lovie Smith is nationally regarded as a good head coach so even a top GM may decide to keep him.

My first thought is that if Lovie were to be fired, why not announce that as well? Unless, the new GM will be allowed to make that decision.The assumption is that a top tier GM would want his own coach and a lesser GM may be forced to keep Lovie Smith in place.I do think that Lovie Smith is nationally regarded as a good head coach so even a top GM may decide to keep him.
I think the same reason the Colts didn't announce Caldwell's firing.Ultimately the GM and coach have vastly different responsibilities and many times we don't think about the less obvious aspects of their jobs. We don't know if the owner had given Angelo specific mandates that he felt were not met, or if there were specific internal conversations or relationships that caused the decision. Plus, it seems from the outside that Lovie is VERY popular with the players in Chicago, and as a veteran team, I think there may be some validity in the idea of letting Lovie prove his mettle with a new guy crafting the grocery list.

Getting rid of Lovie would be a bad move at this point.

If only I was rich and born into wealth, we could've gotten a year head start on firing Angelo. ;) . However, if Ruskell gets promoted, firing Angelo won't matter much.

My first thought is that if Lovie were to be fired, why not announce that as well? Unless, the new GM will be allowed to make that decision.The assumption is that a top tier GM would want his own coach and a lesser GM may be forced to keep Lovie Smith in place.I do think that Lovie Smith is nationally regarded as a good head coach so even a top GM may decide to keep him.
Id be shocked if we brought in a "top tier" gm

Id be shocked if we brought in a "top tier" gm
Or coach

I think the same reason the Colts didn't announce Caldwell's firing.Ultimately the GM and coach have vastly different responsibilities and many times we don't think about the less obvious aspects of their jobs. We don't know if the owner had given Angelo specific mandates that he felt were not met, or if there were specific internal conversations or relationships that caused the decision. Plus, it seems from the outside that Lovie is VERY popular with the players in Chicago, and as a veteran team, I think there may be some validity in the idea of letting Lovie prove his mettle with a new guy crafting the grocery list.
I think this firing of Angelo is a direct result of the team not being able to win a game (before the meaningless last game) after Jay Cutler and Matt Forte were injured. Caleb Hanie was horrible, but it also showed how thin this roster was. Lovie Smith is seen as getting the most out of his players each week. With the news that Lovie Smith will be back, it does bring up all sorts of speculation about what Lovie's long-term future will be since he is signed through 2013, not to mention why type of GM the team is interested in signin since he won't have control over one of his more important hirings - his coach.

You have to think this will be good news for Cutler, no? Protect the kid a bit for goodness sake, and stop trying to win with "system WRs" and go out and draft a bonafide WR stud.

Wow....another freakin system for Cutler
Yes, but, the alternative was playing in a system that exposes all the weak points of the offense, while ignoring and minimizing the strengths of both him and the offense as a whole.The fact of the matter is, I'd rather the Bears change offensive philosophies to one that takes advantages of their (and Cutler's) strengths - not the Martz system, which ignored them.

The thing I don't like about losing Martz is that who is going to want to come in and take this OC position. This looks to be a worse "situation" to come into then when we hired Martz and even back then guys refused to come in an interview.

You are walking into a situation with a new GM still holding onto the previous coach, and even if you did ok, your coach could be gone and you with him next year. It just doesn't sound like a place an OC is going to want to come into.

We need to start building a stable environment, and I don't see this helping.

Cutler is the last quarterback who needs to be throwing to where guys are supposed to be. Worse, consider the guys who were supposed to be running to those places. Johnny "We all fall down" Knox and Mr. Freelance, Devin Hester.

Cutler has the arm to see the open guy and hit him almost anywhere on the field. It was always a bad fit to have him throwing to a space that either of those waifs had to get to.

I bet Washington comes calling for Cutler.

wow, big day for the Bears. I'm glad to see they finally got rid of JA. This should be an exciting offseason.

Lovie seems like a decent coach, but I get the feeling he will be gone too. Its great that the players love him, but the times are changing in Chicago and it might just be time to sweep everything out the door at once.

I'm still pissed off about his move to go to the prevent D vs Denver.

Users who are viewing this thread