What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IDP prospects... (1 Viewer)

jdswan922

Footballguy
Who is worth following this year? I know Kuechly was a tackle machine, but doesn't seem to have much big play upside. Burfict has all the potential to be a stud, but he is a headcase on the field. What other safeties are worth a look after Barron? It seems like many of the big prospects have had down years this season, Coples and Burfict come to mind specifically. Who else is out there?

Quinton Carter DB with OTA's could take over Dawkins SS spot. He cracked the starting line up early in the year. He still needs some work. But he is on the right track.

Didn't someone say Colin Jones SS backup to Goldson in SF. IF Goldson leaves via Free Agency. He played really well on Special Teams in the Saints games.

SO any other players. ????

Come on guys I need some good Dynasty IDP to look at grabbing. :thumbup:

For rookies it looks like this

DE - Looks kind of weak in the end. Not alot of 4-3 guys at this point. See where everyone goes. Maybe Nick Perry. Quentin Copies, Whitney Mercilus, Andre Branch or Melvin Ingram will be worth watching. Can Jared Crick be another JJ Watt

LB - Looks very deep. Kurchely, Vontaze Burflict, Zach Brown, Donte HIghtower, Lavonte David, Ronnell Lewis, Travis Lewis, and Bobby Wagber, For big play leagues, Courtney UPshaw or Vinny Curry could be another end to turn pass rushing LB.

S - Overall looks like the weakest of the positions. Mark Barron is the best and a few other names but how impactful is hardly known

'jacobo_moses said:
Didn't someone say Colin Jones SS backup to Goldson in SF. IF Goldson leaves via Free Agency. He played really well on Special Teams in the Saints games. SO any other players. ????Come on guys I need some good Dynasty IDP to look at grabbing. :thumbup:
I mentioned Colin Jones in the other thread. I believe this thread is for college players to keep an eye on and the other thread is for current NFL players who have yet to land in a good situation and/or break out. Though I could be mistaken.

Watch Da'Norris Searcy. Was a rookie SS in Buffalo this past year. Early rumors are he will start next year over George Wilson. SS in Buffalo is IDP gold regardless who plays it.

Watch Da'Norris Searcy. Was a rookie SS in Buffalo this past year. Early rumors are he will start next year over George Wilson. SS in Buffalo is IDP gold regardless who plays it.
Where have you heard these rumors? Is there a link you can share?I love Searcy, but Wilson played very well last year after being signed to a three year deal. It's possible that Dave Wannstedt could see things differently, but I think most signs would point to Wilson as the SS on opening weekend.

George Wilson is not losing his starting job to Da'Norris Searcy. Bryan Scott could be gone though and that would maybe give him some more snaps in subpackages.

Where have you heard these rumors? Is there a link you can share?I love Searcy, but Wilson played very well last year after being signed to a three year deal. It's possible that Dave Wannstedt could see things differently, but I think most signs would point to Wilson as the SS on opening weekend.
From KFFL: (KFFL) Buffalo Bills OT Chris Hairston and SS Da'Norris Searcy are expected to enter training camp next season as starters. Hairston started seven games at left tackle this season while Searcy started three games at strong safety.This is the link that was provided:http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Sudden-impact---rookies-contributed-in-2011/3197c3f9-f6b6-482e-866e-e8739b9c90c9From the article: Fourth-round picks Chris Hairston and Da’Norris Searcy each earned starts in 2011 with Hairston making seven and Searcy making three as they filled in for injured veterans at left tackle and strong safety respectively. Both should push those incumbent starters at their respective positions next season.

"should push the incumbent starter" does not equal "will enter training camp as a starter"

that's a huge reach by KFFL.

'jacobo_moses said:
Didn't someone say Colin Jones SS backup to Goldson in SF. IF Goldson leaves via Free Agency. He played really well on Special Teams in the Saints games.
No on Colin Jones. He was drafted as a special teamer only and has reportedly not looked good at S. Madieu Williams will be gone, so Reggie Smith would be the guy to fill-in.

'Aaron Rudnicki said:
"should push the incumbent starter" does not equal "will enter training camp as a starter"that's a huge reach by KFFL.
No doubt. Aaron Williams is much more likely to move into the lineup permanently (he's a near lock to me) than Searcy.

Last edited by a moderator:
True, it is from KFFL but the report I read is worded a little different. It says "should enter as starter" not "should push starter". Nevertheless, the thread was worded as who to keep an eye on right? Doesn't mean Searcy becomes Wilson but not keeping an eye on this would be utterly foolish. Here's a copy and paste from my MFL league where I owned Wilson, Scott, and Searcy this year. The link comes from KFFL. So don't take it as gospel and don't go draft Searcy tomorrow as a DB1 but don't ignore this situation either. Whoever starts there will be a solid FF DB if not a gold mine.1. Bills | Chris Hairston, Da'Norris Searcy expected to start (KFFL) Buffalo Bills OT Chris Hairston and SS Da'Norris Searcy are expected to enter training camp next season as starters. Hairston started seven games at left tackle this season while Searcy started three games at strong safety.

After watching the Senior Bowl and reading practice notes, I was curious to see how people think Bobby Wagner (Utah State) and James Michael Johnson (Nevada) match up with Kuechly and Burfict at the LB position in the upcoming draft? Also, is Zach Brown (UNC) best suited at WLB, and does he have a chance to move to the middle depending on situation? I heard a lot of comparisons to Beason and Daryl Washington during the course of Senior Bowl week.

Opinions, thoughts, comments?

True, it is from KFFL but the report I read is worded a little different. It says "should enter as starter" not "should push starter". Nevertheless, the thread was worded as who to keep an eye on right? Doesn't mean Searcy becomes Wilson but not keeping an eye on this would be utterly foolish. Here's a copy and paste from my MFL league where I owned Wilson, Scott, and Searcy this year. The link comes from KFFL. So don't take it as gospel and don't go draft Searcy tomorrow as a DB1 but don't ignore this situation either. Whoever starts there will be a solid FF DB if not a gold mine.1. Bills | Chris Hairston, Da'Norris Searcy expected to start (KFFL) Buffalo Bills OT Chris Hairston and SS Da'Norris Searcy are expected to enter training camp next season as starters. Hairston started seven games at left tackle this season while Searcy started three games at strong safety.
Any Bills homers out there with a take on Searcy vs. Wilson?

Rudnicki not good enough?

Rudnicki not good enough?
Sorry, I guess I just got my hopes too high on Searcy when I read that. Sounds like the rest of you guys didn't bite on it like I did. So sticking with Bills defenders here for a minute, who's got more value going into 2012 between Barnett and Sheppard?

So sticking with Bills defenders here for a minute, who's got more value going into 2012 between Barnett and Sheppard?
Very interesting question. I would think the guy to own is Sheppard until we hear or are shown otherwise. More upside, not 84 years old. I think Sheppard's going to be given a LOT of rope

'blend said:
'Colts Rule! said:
So sticking with Bills defenders here for a minute, who's got more value going into 2012 between Barnett and Sheppard?
Very interesting question. I would think the guy to own is Sheppard until we hear or are shown otherwise. More upside, not 84 years old. I think Sheppard's going to be given a LOT of rope
Kind of my thoughts too. I'm always intrigued by Bills defenders who should be around the ball a lot because assists are almost even with solo's in a league I'm in (hence my continuation with the Wilson/Searcy topic prior). I own Barnett. I think he should probably still do well as the WIL in the new 3/4. But Sheppard perhaps could be a beast in a scoring format like the one I am in as Barnett was last year (1.2 points for a solo, 1.0 for an assist). One question I have is what is meant when Sheppard is referred to as the MLB in a 3/4? He's listed as the MLB and Barnett as the WILB. Maybe I'm not as up to speed as some others here but don't 3/4's usually break down the ILBs as weak inside or strong inside? Does it mean something different with the Bills when they call Barnett the weak inside backer and call Sheppard the "MLB". Not sure I get that. Am I the only one?BTW, George Wilson was the #1 scoring DB in my league last year (at least by PPG) so I am oober interested in keeping up to speed with Wilson vs. Searcy. The winner there is almost a guaranteed triple platinum hit for me. The loser is no more than a handcuff to the other.

One question I have is what is meant when Sheppard is referred to as the MLB in a 3/4? He's listed as the MLB and Barnett as the WILB. Maybe I'm not as up to speed as some others here but don't 3/4's usually break down the ILBs as weak inside or strong inside? Does it mean something different with the Bills when they call Barnett the weak inside backer and call Sheppard the "MLB". Not sure I get that. Am I the only one?
Almost every 3-4 team aligns their inside linebackers to the strength of the offensive formation -- a WILB and SILB. What they call them in the playbook (which sometimes gets translated to the team depth chart or NFL Gamebook) can vary considerably. A SILB might be Sam, Ted, Mac, Mo or Mike. A WILB might be called Will, Mo, Mike or Jack. And there are others that I've probably left out. That makes the "M" in MLB in some 3-4 depth charts confusing.In this case, the 2011 Bills had Nick Barnett at weak ILB in their 3-4 and WLB in their 4-3, with Sheppard at strong ILB in the 3-4 and MLB in the 4-3. In next season's base defense, which is expected to be a 4-3, Sheppard will get the first look at MLB, with Barnett at WLB.

Question on HIghtower.... Everyplace I've seen has him as best suited to play SILB in a 3-4. Is he also versatile enough to play MLB in a 4-3? I know he played all three downs at Bama, but thought he rushed the passer more than covered in Nickel type situations.

I know he played all three downs at Bama, but thought he rushed the passer more than covered in Nickel type situations.
Basically this. He isn't much in coverage.
Like Kuechly, Hightower put up measurables that suggested he's a little more athletic than some expected. He won't hold up in man coverage, but he's shown enough in zone coverage to compare favorably to other ILBs with his body type (Lofton/McClain/Spikes, etc). It'll be dependent on the depth chart, but I think he can handle an every-down role in the right scheme.

Like Kuechly, Hightower put up measurables that suggested he's a little more athletic than some expected. He won't hold up in man coverage, but he's shown enough in zone coverage to compare favorably to other ILBs with his body type (Lofton/McClain/Spikes, etc). It'll be dependent on the depth chart, but I think he can handle an every-down role in the right scheme.
I think he's gotta be a 3-4 ILB to have a strong shot at being a 3 down guy. Just my opinion, and I loooove Hightower/Tide defenders in general. Well coached, NFL ready, etc. Having said all that, I still fear he's going to get abused by the better TEs in coverage.

I think he's gotta be a 3-4 ILB to have a strong shot at being a 3 down guy. Just my opinion, and I loooove Hightower/Tide defenders in general. Well coached, NFL ready, etc. Having said all that, I still fear he's going to get abused by the better TEs in coverage.
No doubt. But I think that goes for most backers. These athletic tight ends require bracket coverage or a strong slot corner. I think depth of zone coverage, zone awareness and change of direction skill are the keys to every down upside. I don't know that I see a clear distinction between the 3-4 ILB and the 4-3 MLB in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread