What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Respectablity is Reached?--Washington Wizards 2014-2015 Regular Season (1 Viewer)

DCThunder

Footballguy
Has there ever been a worse NBA team than "your Washington WIZARDSSSSSSSSS!"? They are currently 0-8 after losing two at home over the weekend, including blowing a 17 point lead against the Knicks to lose by 6. Then they lay down against the T-wolves. John Wall appears to be going through the motions, Andrea Blatche is a 7 footer shooting 18 foot jump shots, and Nick Young makes Dominique Wilkins look like an NBA assists leader. So can Le Wiz do it and not win a game all season? It's a tall order, but I think this plucky bunch of underachievers has the makings of a historically awful team. :thumbup: :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Has there ever been a worse NBA team than "your Washington WIZARDSSSSSSSSS!"? They are currently 0-8 after losing two at home over the weekend, including blowing a 17 point lead against the Knicks to lose by 6. Then they lay down against the T-wolves. John Wall appears to be going through the motions, Andrea Blatche is a 7 footer shooting 18 foot jump shots, and Nick Young makes Dominique Wilkins look like an NBA assists leader.

So can Le Wiz do it and not win a game all season? It's a tall order, but I think this plucky bunch of underachievers has the makings of a historically awful team. :thumbup: :popcorn:
The Los Angeles Lakers have their own thread, it's about time this proud and distinguished "professional" "basketball" franchise got one too.As I posted in the NBA thread, thus far they have been the worst offense in the history of the NBA.

One of the worst franchises in all of sports over the past 30 years. They really deserve a run at the record of ineptitude, all my best. :thumbup:

Saunders and Grunfeld need to go since there is no way they fire the entire team.

I was guessing that 10 wins would be the ceiling but I'm starting to think 7 or 8 may be the case.

When the T-Wolves come into your house and kill you in every aspect of the game you have a huge problem.

They looked really bad against the Timberwolves. I don't watch a lot of basketball but it seemed like Rubio had his way with Wall. I don't know whether it was lack of effort from Wall or just a bad night but it wasn't pretty.

When do they get the 1st win of the year?

Here is the Schedule for this month.

vs Tor

@Chi

@Phi

vs Hou

vs OKC

vs Den

vs Bos

@Phi

vs Char

@Hou

@Char

vs Chi

Toronto seems like the best chance but if they drop that game they could be looking at a 16 game losing streak.

When do they get the 1st win of the year?Here is the Schedule for this month.vs Tor@Chi@Phivs Houvs OKCvs Denvs Bos@Phivs Char@Hou@Charvs ChiToronto seems like the best chance but if they drop that game they could be looking at a 16 game losing streak.
Isn't Charlotte pretty bad too?

Was anyone else secretly hoping that the lockout would not end, they lost a season, and had to undergo massive restructuring?

I think the NBA is a perfect model for addition by subtraction:

Lose the Wizards, Grizzlies, Bobcats, Bucks, and if you need more throw in the Hornets and the Kings.

Go to a season about the length of this current one.

Have only 4 teams from each conference go to the playoffs. Conference semis, conference finals, finals.

The problem with the NBA is that all these additional teams have just diluted the talent pool and created a lot of crappy product.

I mean, other than people who live in the area, can anyone name a "star" on any of the above teams?

They do look horrendous, but 0-66 is really impossible, unless you try for it. They should go back to being the Bullets. Who's intimidated by a Wizard?

When do they get the 1st win of the year?Here is the Schedule for this month.vs Tor@Chi@Phivs Houvs OKCvs Denvs Bos@Phivs Char@Hou@Charvs ChiToronto seems like the best chance but if they drop that game they could be looking at a 16 game losing streak.
I would have thought the T-Wolves was the best chance. Fairly confident they'll get it done at home against Toronto, home against Houston, or in one of the Charlotte games. Maybe I've got my head in the clouds and I'm just a ridiculous :homer: optimist, but I predict they win at least two of those twelve.

Yes which is why I said 16 is looming if they don't beat the Raptors.The 17th game is against Charlotte and I feel that is another chance at a win.

Yes which is why I said 16 is looming if they don't beat the Raptors.The 17th game is against Charlotte and I feel that is another chance at a win.
Ahhh. that makes sense. I didn't count the games already played...

Was anyone else secretly hoping that the lockout would not end, they lost a season, and had to undergo massive restructuring?I think the NBA is a perfect model for addition by subtraction:Lose the Wizards, Grizzlies, Bobcats, Bucks, and if you need more throw in the Hornets and the Kings. Go to a season about the length of this current one.Have only 4 teams from each conference go to the playoffs. Conference semis, conference finals, finals.The problem with the NBA is that all these additional teams have just diluted the talent pool and created a lot of crappy product.I mean, other than people who live in the area, can anyone name a "star" on any of the above teams?
Come on now. The Wizards are 23rd in the league in attendance despite being historically awful and being in the midst of what even the owner admits is a painful rebuild. They were 17th in attendance last year. The fact that you listed four teams to contract ahead of a team that doesn't have an owner tells me that you're not an NBA fan. As does the fact that you think the product is crappy. By most accounts the product is as good as its ever been.

It's really a shame that this franchise has been so bad for so long. The few times they looked to be righting the ship, it's imploded on them. In the 60s/70s they were one of the better teams going.

I think the NBA is a perfect model for addition by subtraction:Lose the Wizards, Grizzlies, Bobcats, Bucks, and if you need more throw in the Hornets and the Kings.
Yes, Washington's professional basketball team has been a huge embarrassment on the court for a long, long time. But, no chance professional basketball in DC would be contracted. This is a basketball city. This place loves basketball.

Was anyone else secretly hoping that the lockout would not end, they lost a season, and had to undergo massive restructuring?I think the NBA is a perfect model for addition by subtraction:Lose the Wizards, Grizzlies, Bobcats, Bucks, and if you need more throw in the Hornets and the Kings. Go to a season about the length of this current one.Have only 4 teams from each conference go to the playoffs. Conference semis, conference finals, finals.The problem with the NBA is that all these additional teams have just diluted the talent pool and created a lot of crappy product.I mean, other than people who live in the area, can anyone name a "star" on any of the above teams?
Come on now. The Wizards are 23rd in the league in attendance despite being historically awful and being in the midst of what even the owner admits is a painful rebuild. They were 17th in attendance last year. The fact that you listed four teams to contract ahead of a team that doesn't have an owner tells me that you're not an NBA fan. As does the fact that you think the product is crappy. By most accounts the product is as good as its ever been.
Not as big a fan as I used to be and don't really follow the league much, but I'd like to see "most accounts" that the league is better today than it was in the early nineties. Maybe it's just me but I just can't get excited about today's stars as I did watching guys like Jordan, Malone, Olajuwon, etc.

And Toronto will be on the back end of a back to back. Should be one of the worst games of the season :thumbup:

Looking around the league I can't see another starting 5 that is worse than the Wiz.

PG-Wall

SG-Young

SF-Lewis(when he feels like playing)

PF-Blatche

C-McGee

And let's not even get into the bench because they have very little.

Lewis is an absolute joke right now. I think he's trying to get the amnesty cut. Seriously. I don't usually buy into those types of theories about professional athletes, but it's hard to explain his work on the court.

When is Jan going to play?

Not as big a fan as I used to be and don't really follow the league much, but I'd like to see "most accounts" that the league is better today than it was in the early nineties. Maybe it's just me but I just can't get excited about today's stars as I did watching guys like Jordan, Malone, Olajuwon, etc.
Jordan is an anomaly, a once in a lifetime type player. The game will probably never draw as many casual fans as it did in the early 90s. It's hard to google "quality of play" because it mostly gives you results about this season suffering due to the condensed schedule, but I follow the sport somewhat closely, and absence of a Jordan aside, things are as good as they've ever been. The elimination of the man-to-man defense requirement has made it more of a team game, as has the arrival of advanced stats, and there are a huge number of superstars and plot lines if that's your thing. The 2011 playoffs were up there with the best in league history.

Lewis is an absolute joke right now. I think he's trying to get the amnesty cut. Seriously. I don't usually buy into those types of theories about professional athletes, but it's hard to explain his work on the court.When is Jan going to play?
He got a few minutes in yesterday.Looks very raw :unsure:

Not extending Nick Young seems to be a good decision. By and large, they need to clean house and should be very wary of long-term deals. Why isn't Vesely getting minutes?

Lewis is an absolute joke right now. I think he's trying to get the amnesty cut. Seriously. I don't usually buy into those types of theories about professional athletes, but it's hard to explain his work on the court.

He gave us this priceless gem.
:mellow: Wizards are really good at that draft thing.
Yeah, a little too early to make a call on Vesely but he does not look like a future star.Booker and Singleton were great picks, though. Singleton in particular. His defense, Wall on the fast break and McGee's shot blocking the only three above-average things the Wizards offer.

Hollinger just eviscerated them at espn.com. The best effort I've seen yet to capture just what is so awful about them is this bit:

Offensively, Washington plays the game as if the most valuable shot is the contested 2-point jumper. Washington is 29th in 3-point attempts and 23rd in shots at the rim; their go-to offensive plays are isolations for Andray Blatche or Nick Young to shoot a contested jumper. This is often preceded by a lot of standing around; it's amazing how many times during a game a Wizard has the ball and just holds it and does nothing for several seconds.
29th in threes and 23rd in shots at the rim is just incredible. It's like they don't know that you get one more point for a shot just behind the arc than you do for a shot just in front of it.

Seems like a good opportunity to implement the European soccer format and relegate bad teams to a lower level.

I think all sports should adopt that. Would make the D-league actually exciting and no team would consider tanking ever again.

I think all sports should adopt that. Would make the D-league actually exciting and no team would consider tanking ever again.
Keep in mind that in most Euro soccer leagues you can predict the eventual champion out of a pool of 3-4 teams with pretty much 100% accuracy and can also be assured that: (1) those 3-4 teams will be among the top 4-6 teams in the league; (2) there will be very little change from year to year atop the standings; and (3) as a result, only a few teams ever get a real run at the title. In the last 16 years only three teams have won the EPL title. They might have a new champion this year.When you have a structure like that you don't have parity because any team that gets sent down ever loses a ton of revenue. I don't think US sports fans would like that.

He gave us this priceless gem.
:mellow: Wizards are really good at that draft thing.
With their luck they won't even get the 1.01 pick this year. Some team that barely missed the playoffs will and the 'Zards will pick 4th... :shrug:

Two Things...

You wonder if the Wizards are going to be as bad or worse than the team I think is the worst in DC history, the '88-'89 GWU Colonials. They were 1-27 (including the A-10 Playoffs). This was my Freshman year, and we were 0-14 and the only Div 1 team without a win when they beat UMass at home, causing us to storm the court and cut down the nets. The Colonials then went on a streak to lose the rest of the season. Classic.

They are going to have to change the song to "Everybody Beats The Wiz" :P

Two Things...You wonder if the Wizards are going to be as bad or worse than the team I think is the worst in DC history, the '88-'89 GWU Colonials. They were 1-27 (including the A-10 Playoffs). This was my Freshman year, and we were 0-14 and the only Div 1 team without a win when they beat UMass at home, causing us to storm the court and cut down the nets. The Colonials then went on a streak to lose the rest of the season. Classic.They are going to have to change the song to "Everybody Beats The Wiz" :P
It amazed me when the Pistons named John Kuester head coach, given that he coached that GW squad.(BTW, fellow GW alum, and current GW season ticket holder, here. :hifive: )

Has there ever been a worse NBA team than "your Washington WIZARDSSSSSSSSS!"? They are currently 0-8 after losing two at home over the weekend, including blowing a 17 point lead against the Knicks to lose by 6. Then they lay down against the T-wolves. John Wall appears to be going through the motions, Andrea Blatche is a 7 footer shooting 18 foot jump shots, and Nick Young makes Dominique Wilkins look like an NBA assists leader.So can Le Wiz do it and not win a game all season? It's a tall order, but I think this plucky bunch of underachievers has the makings of a historically awful team. :thumbup: :popcorn:
so i venture out of my comfort realm and play fantasy bball this yr 4 the 1st time. i dont know a whole lot about it, but i figure y not. i do a quick pre-view of the rankings on the yahoo site 15min b4 draft. i see guys going in the league winning rds. of 6-12 that ive never heard of. so, what do i do? i load up on my local team! wall, blatche, nick young, mcgee, even jordan crawford. results? so far i am winless. my team name, the washington wizards. not good.

Keep in mind that in most Euro soccer leagues you can predict the eventual champion out of a pool of 3-4 teams with pretty much 100% accuracy and can also be assured that: (1) those 3-4 teams will be among the top 4-6 teams in the league; (2) there will be very little change from year to year atop the standings; and (3) as a result, only a few teams ever get a real run at the title. In the last 16 years only three teams have won the EPL title. They might have a new champion this year.When you have a structure like that you don't have parity because any team that gets sent down ever loses a ton of revenue. I don't think US sports fans would like that.
Good point. You have obviously thought a lot more deeply about this than I have.

Key game tonight for the Wizards.Per Hollinger's rankings on ESPN:

No. 30: Washington The shocking thing about the Wizards is not that they're 30th but how far they are out of 29th. Washington's 83.80 rating is more than seven points behind the No. 29 Nets' rate of 90.83, implying that the Nets would be favored by a touchdown on a neutral court. The difference between No. 29 New Jersey and No. 19 New Orleans is smaller than the difference between Washington and 29th.The really scary part for Washington is that it has played a weak schedule thus far. The average Wizards opponent has a .377 winning percentage when not playing Washington. That will change in a hurry: After tonight's tilt against Toronto, they play Chicago, Philly twice, the Houston Rockets, Oklahoma City and the Denver Nuggets. Thus, if they can't manage to handle the Raptors on a back-to-back in D.C., suddenly a record-tying 0-17 start is very much in the picture.

Congrats to the Wiz. A home win with Toronto on the 2nd night of a back-to-back in a different city. But anyone who watched this game knows that the leopard hasn't changed its spots and Les Wiz are still pretty turrible. I fully expect a new losing streak to start tonight in Chicago...

Users who are viewing this thread