What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pineda to Yankees? (1 Viewer)

Hearing this is a done deal for Montero among others. Unreal.
The Yankees need another front-line starter. Montero isn't really a catcher and they're loaded with 1B/DH types.Seattle needs multiple bats. A cost-controlled ace should bring back a package comparable to the haul San Diego received for Latos.

The Yankees need another front-line starter. Montero isn't really a catcher and they're loaded with 1B/DH types.Seattle needs multiple bats. A cost-controlled ace should bring back a package comparable to the haul San Diego received for Latos.
So what are the equivalents in the Yanks system that are coming with Montero? We'll assume Montero plays the role of Alonso.

Why would Seattle trade Pineda? Isn't he on his way to be a possible #1 type of starter? I don't care how good Montero is, I don't trade a pitcher with that type of ability, especially considering he's not making any money for the next few years.

Seattle had better be getting the Yankees top 3 prospects for this.

So what are the equivalents in the Yanks system that are coming with Montero? We'll assume Montero plays the role of Alonso.
The Yankees farm system isn't as barren as it's been in past. But there aren't a lot of MLB ready prospects. I'm curious to see what kind of package is headed west.

Montero and Alonso are no where near equivalent even taking into consideration Montero should never play in the field. I actually like the deal for both sides. The Mariners will never be able to land an elite bat in free agency and Montero has only Harper to contend with to be the best hitting prospect in baseball.

Montero and Alonso are no where near equivalent even taking into consideration Montero should never play in the field. I actually like the deal for both sides. The Mariners will never be able to land an elite bat in free agency and Montero has only Harper to contend with to be the best hitting prospect in baseball.
We'll see about that. Alonso can rake.

kind of mixed feelings on this. montero will be a stud hitter. theres no question about that. but he really had no place on the yankees. pineda is a potential ace. and the ms treated him right last year which i like. for this yankees team i like the deal but in the grand scheme of things i think montero is a safer bet to be a star

I definitely like this better for the Yankees.

I'm not sure if I like it for my dynasty team. Pineda's going to win a lot of games in pinstripes, and he's also going to give up a lot of 200-foot home runs.

Well, things get even more interesting...

Jack Curry

@JackCurryYES Jack Curry

Big night for the Yankees. They have agreed to a 1-year deal with Kuroda, pending a physical. Deal will be between $10 and $11 million.

Well, things get even more interesting...Jack Curry@JackCurryYES Jack CurryBig night for the Yankees. They have agreed to a 1-year deal with Kuroda, pending a physical. Deal will be between $10 and $11 million.
all hail cashman :thumbup:

I like this better for the Yankees.
Nah. Give me the bat. Stud hitting > stud pitching when it comes to trades.
Not just saying this because Pineda is the one now in pinstripes, but I disagree with you completely. Pineda has future Cy Young winner written all over him! His H-IP and strikeout ratio are already silly, and he's just 22 years old. He rushes it up there near 100 and has a great change and slider.As has been said, a bat was not one of the Yanks' huge needs.
Suddenly, the Yankees are flush with starting pitching and no longer will be subject to the ups and downs of their most inconsistent starter, A.J. Burnett.They will enter spring training with a rotation likely consisting of Sabathia, Kuroda, Pineda, Ivan Nova and one of Burnett, Phil Hughes and Freddy Garcia.

Good deal for the Yankees. Ridiculously good IMO.

Pineda is a stud for a long time coming. Montero can't even play the field well. I don't know - I would take the Pineda end of this all day

My initial reaction wasn't good, but the more I think about this the more I think it's a great deal for the Yankees. And it's not a bad deal for the Mariners, although you'd think they would try to get a little more.

If Pineda can be a rock solid 2 to an ace for his time with Yankees, though, it's a good deal. With Tex and ARod there aren't any more 1B/DH spots and they can't have a bad defensive catcher. Cashman did good.

Not just saying this because Pineda is the one now in pinstripes, but I disagree with you completely. Pineda has future Cy Young winner written all over him! His H-IP and strikeout ratio are already silly, and he's just 22 years old. He rushes it up there near 100 and has a great change and slider.As has been said, a bat was not one of the Yanks' huge needs.
Suddenly, the Yankees are flush with starting pitching and no longer will be subject to the ups and downs of their most inconsistent starter, A.J. Burnett.They will enter spring training with a rotation likely consisting of Sabathia, Kuroda, Pineda, Ivan Nova and one of Burnett, Phil Hughes and Freddy Garcia.
AJ as a 3 or 4 might turn out to be a very good thing. A little less stress on him may clear his head. He's the most expensive 4 in baseball, but still... I think Hughes needs to stay in the rotation personally. Garcia as long reliever in the Mendoza type role for the year?

AJ as a 3 or 4 might turn out to be a very good thing. A little less stress on him may clear his head. He's the most expensive 4 in baseball, but still... I think Hughes needs to stay in the rotation personally. Garcia as long reliever in the Mendoza type role for the year?
Unclear at this point, but it's nice that Joe has some versatility on the staff now.

M's couldve had Montero for Cliff Lee :lmao:
It's no LOCK that Montero will be a stud, though it would certainly appear so_One at-bat last year I'll never forget. It looked like he was completely fooled on a changeup, took a half-hearted swing, and still put it halfway up into the right-center field bleachers. Scary power.

:goodposting: , I think :unsure:To me, the zero to negative defensive value that comes back in the stud bat really negates the thought process of Stud hitting being > stud pitching

Actually Pineda has a great fastball and slider. His change is inconsistent at best. He struggles against lefties right now and will need to improve the changeup. Also, he pitches up in the zone which makes him a flyball pitcher which could lead to problems in the Bronx. He certainly has number 1 starter upside though. And while Pineda could be a Cy Young contender in the future, Montero could be an MVP contender. He's consistently rated as one of the top hitting prospects in the game for the past few years. Sure, he's not a catcher, but he can hit. He's certainly the best ranked hitting prospect traded this offseason and a potential anchor to the Seattle lineup for a long, long time. Pineda certainly has a higher floor at this point, since he's already displayed the ability to be special at the MLB level. But the higher ceiling might just be Montero. Regardless of that though, the less risk is with Montero. Pitchers, even young pitchers, get hurt all the time. Short term, I like the trade for the Yankees. Longer term though could certainly be a win for the Mariners. Mostly, I think its a trade that helps both teams alot, which since I hate the Yankees vexes me greatly.

Not just saying this because Pineda is the one now in pinstripes, but I disagree with you completely. Pineda has future Cy Young winner written all over him! His H-IP and strikeout ratio are already silly, and he's just 22 years old. He rushes it up there near 100 and has a great change and slider.
Actually Pineda has a great fastball and slider. His change is inconsistent at best. He struggles against lefties right now and will need to improve the changeup.
From what I saw (in several starts), his curve is what was inconsistent.His changeup was fine, though granted he may need to slow it down a bit more.

Pineda doesn't have a great change at all. Young pitchers get hurt all the time. That's why when doing a one for one swap I would want the hitter.

Wonder if Angels and Yanks could match up for a deal.

K. Morales 3mill

Abreau 9mill

for

Hughes 3mill

Soriano 12mill

Maybe throw in 2-3mill.

Angels would love to get ride of Abreau's dead money. Lot's of health issues with all those players though.

Suddenly, the Yankees are flush with starting pitching and no longer will be subject to the ups and downs of their most inconsistent starter, A.J. Burnett.

They will enter spring training with a rotation likely consisting of Sabathia, Kuroda, Pineda, Ivan Nova and one of Burnett, Phil Hughes and Freddy Garcia.
Pineda doesn't have a great change at all.
Between this post and dparker's post, I assumed that maybe my eyes deceived me. So I looked for a scout's report:
By Rick Randall

SeattleClubhouse Publisher

Posted Sep 4, 2011

Heading into Spring Training in 2011, the Mariners had a few players which were generally thought of as "Top Prospects" around baseball: second baseman Dustin Ackley, shortstop Nick Franklin, and big right-hander Michael Pineda. When the games started in big league camp and the 25-man roster began to take shape, it was clear that Pineda would be the one with the best shot at being a part of that roster.

The 22-year-old made five appearances and four starts in big league camp, and impressed by racking up 15 strikeouts and allowing only 20 baserunners (14 hits, six walks) and just four earned runs in 17 innings during those games. By that time, it was already obvious to anyone and everyone around the Cactus League that the 6-foot-7 native Dominican had a real weapon in his fastball. What was not clear was how he would supplement that pitch to keep hitters honest.

SeattleClubhouse's Rick Randall was on site in late March to watch his final tune-up on the minor league fields, which came before dozens of front office and field staff personnel--including manager Eric Wedge and pitching coach Carl Willis. During that appearance, Pineda threw his changeup very well and induced several swings-and-misses by Royals' left-handers on that pitch, much to the outwardly apparent delight of Wedge and Willis. Soon after it was made official that Pineda would be breaking camp as the club's 5th starter.

While some measure of success was certainly expected from what many prospect guru's rated as the top right-handed starting pitching prospect in the game, he certainly outperformed any realistic projections in what was a dominating first half, culminated by his election to the All-Star Game in Phoenix. While there has been somewhat of a falloff in the second half, you would be hard-pressed to find a reason not to rate his first season in the big leagues as a breakout year.

Pineda ranks among the Top-30 in all of Major League Baseball in Pitcher WAR (3.0), and backs up his numbers with a Top-30 showing in FIP (3.43) as well. He ranks 6th in the majors in strikeouts-per-9 (9.23), is third in the American League in Opponent's AVG (.207), ranks 8th in WHIP (1.09), has allowed the 3rd fewest hits-per-9 (6.91) and has nine wins despite just 4.08 runs of support in his starts. He has also turned in 18 Quality Starts for the M's.

Prior to the All-Star break, Pineda was 8-6 with a 3.03 ERA and 1.04 WHIP. Since, he has posted a 1-3 record with a 5.48 ERA and 1.24 WHIP. Its easy to see that he is tiring a bit (he's averaged fewer than six innings per start in the second half), but the falloff in numbers can also be attributed to the league learning him a bit better and to the increasingly non-standard rest he is pitching on. That latter is result of design by the Mariners to limit the innings he throws this season--at 159 regular season innings so far he has already exceeded his previous career high by 19 2/3.

While the fastball remains his biggest weapon--the pitch averages 94.8 miles-per-hour on the season, good for 3rd best in baseball--Pineda has actually thrown his slider more frequently than all American League starters outside of Ervin Santana, and he has gotten the third best value in baseball from that pitch: 10.4 runs above average. His fastball has been 12.6 runs above average (12th best), and perhaps surprisingly, his change has been 1.8 runs above average as well. With that reportoire, Pineda has the highest percentage of swings-and-misses among starters at 11.7%, and he has generated the 7th most out-of-zone swings in baseball, too.

Michael's home/road splits show a gap in ERA, but the advanced metrics actually show pretty favorable for him in this regard. And despite that rocky second half, he is still making improvements. Following his start yesterday, Pineda told Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, "My changeup was nasty."
Maybe "great" was overstating it. But his change is not a weakness.

Suddenly, the Yankees are flush with starting pitching and no longer will be subject to the ups and downs of their most inconsistent starter, A.J. Burnett.

They will enter spring training with a rotation likely consisting of Sabathia, Kuroda, Pineda, Ivan Nova and one of Burnett, Phil Hughes and Freddy Garcia.
Completely, absolutely false. Pineda has a change in name only. If he develops a change, look the heck out.

Users who are viewing this thread