What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 Packers Offseason (1 Viewer)

Trying to get a feel for what will happen in the offseason in GB.

They were smart by locking up Jordy Nelson and Josh Sitton early this past season as they are key pieces moving forward. Clifton will be 36 next season, Woodson turns 36 in October, Driver turns 37 next month. Unsure how high of play they will have moving forward.

Key injuries: FS Nick Collins(neck) he will find out in March if he can play football again. Derek Sherrod fractured tibia and fibula, wonder how long it will take for him to recover.

How are they cap wise? Here are the 2012 and 2013 Free Agents

2012 UFA: CB Jarrett Bush, TE Jermichael Finley, QB Matt Flynn, RB Ryan Grant, DL Howard Green, CB Patrick Lee, OLB Erik Walden, C Scott Wells,

2013 UFA: LT Chad Clifton, WR Donald Driver, WR Greg Jennings, OLB Brad Jones, OG TJ Lang, S Charlie Peprah, CB Sam Shields, DL Jarius Wynn, OLB Frank Zombo

What do Packer fans think they will address in the offseason both Free Agency and the Draft?

I think Collins is done, and his absence was a big reason the defense struggled all year. They have to find a replacement. Peprah is a nice backup/special teams guy, but he's proven he can't be relied upon at Collins' spot. Interestingly, he played better last year filling in for Burnett when he played with Collins. Just goes to show how valuable Collins actually was to this team.

Secondly, they need another rush OLB; a compliment to Mathews. That player ain't on this team.

I think Bush, Finley, Grant, Green, and Wells stay.

Flynn will start somewhere else. Lee is a waste of a roster spot. Walden played his way out of town the second half of this season.

The offense will largely be intact heading into next season. I'm expecting some serious emphasis on the D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Collins is done, and his absence was a big reason the defense struggled all year. They have to find a replacement. Peprah is a nice backup/special teams guy, but he's proven he can't be relied upon at Collins' spot. Interestingly, he played better last year filling in for Burnett when he played with Collins. Just goes to show how valuable Collins actually was to this team.

Secondly, they need another rush OLB; a compliment to Mathews. That player ain't on this team.

Flynn will start somewhere else. Lee is a waste of a roster spot. Walden played his way out of town the second half of this season.

The offense will largely be intact heading into next season. I'm expecting some serious emphasis on the D.
Do you know the cap situation? I would imagine Finley/Wells would command some solid(not crazy) money.

Do you know the cap situation? I would imagine Finley/Wells would command some solid(not crazy) money.
Not off the top of my head, no. Finley will be franchised and he won't get a long term deal. He certainly hasn't earned it. Wells won't get huge offers elsewhere. He's solid, but not a flashy FA target. I think they can get them reasonably and fit them under the cap, but I'll have do some research on that.

Interesting info on the franchis tag and Finley's tactics for next year:

Link

"The NFL has provided teams an estimate of the tenders for 2012, and for tight ends it’s about $5.4 million, down from $7.3 million this season. Finley confirmed that if the Packers tag him, his agent probably will file a grievance to upgrade the tag to a wide receiver’s tender, which is estimated at about $9.4 million for next year."

Not off the top of my head, no. Finley will be franchised and he won't get a long term deal. He certainly hasn't earned it. Wells won't get huge offers elsewhere. He's solid, but not a flashy FA target. I think they can get them reasonably and fit them under the cap, but I'll have do some research on that.
That makes sense, what are you expecting from the rest of Free Agency and the draft besides S and OLB?

Interesting info on the franchis tag and Finley's tactics for next year:

Link

"The NFL has provided teams an estimate of the tenders for 2012, and for tight ends it’s about $5.4 million, down from $7.3 million this season. Finley confirmed that if the Packers tag him, his agent probably will file a grievance to upgrade the tag to a wide receiver’s tender, which is estimated at about $9.4 million for next year."
Wow that would be something. What if that would make him a WR in FF leagues as well? Very interesting...

That makes sense, what are you expecting from the rest of Free Agency and the draft besides S and OLB?
What I expect from free agency goes like this. NFL teams make very large bids to decent players, but players that are likely over priced. Green Bay fans publicly complain about Thompson's free agent tactics. Packer media writes articles talking about how Thompson doesn't use Free Agency as effectively as he could. Then Thompson drafts some guys that turn out to be pretty good. :popcorn:

In all seriousness, I don't think Green Bay makes a huge push in free agency outside of retaining some of their own. I'd like to see them look outside for some safety or O line help, but I don't know what's out there or if it's worth it.

ETA, other positions they need help with:

O Tackle (Clifton's gotta be done)

D end

D back (though I think they like Davon House)

On thing Green Bay's front office always talks about is "Year 2". They basically believe that heading into year two, guys that can play in the NFL make a 'jump' and start flashing that ability. It's interesting, and has proven mostly true for them. Year 2 for House and a few others.

What I expect from free agency goes like this. NFL teams make very large bids to decent players, but players that are likely over priced. Green Bay fans publicly complain about Thompson's free agent tactics. Packer media writes articles talking about how Thompson doesn't use Free Agency as effectively as he could. Then Thompson drafts some guys that turn out to be pretty good. :popcorn:

In all seriousness, I don't think Green Bay makes a huge push in free agency outside of retaining some of their own. I'd like to see them look outside for some safety or O line help, but I don't know what's out there or if it's worth it.
That is TT's MO. I just wonder if they will make any major changes moving forward, such as letting finley/flynn walk and using that money to sign a bigger name player(they did sign Woodson before).I think LT is a huge need as well. Bulaga isn't a LT and Sherrod is done for awhile. Clifton has been injured often and is 36.

Would upgrading RB in round 1 or 2 and letting Grant walk be a good idea?

That is TT's MO. I just wonder if they will make any major changes moving forward, such as letting finley/flynn walk and using that money to sign a bigger name player(they did sign Woodson before).I think LT is a huge need as well. Bulaga isn't a LT and Sherrod is done for awhile. Clifton has been injured often and is 36.

Part of me also wonders if they make a change like you outline. But the other part knows that from watching Thompson in Green Bay, he doesn't deviate from the template. It's the same blueprint you'll see with Reggie McKenzie in Oakland.I don't think they'll draft a running back and let Grant go for one simple reason. Green Bay, like many other teams, is taking advanatage of this being a very QB friendly league. Decent running backs can be had late, particularly if you're a pass first team that only uses the run to keep teams honest. It's worked for them previously, as it has with New England as well. This is the offensive philosophy, and I don't see that changing.

Hopefully Aaron Rodgers will spend a little bit of time watching game film instead of coming up with new ways to photobomb the Captains' Photos.

Not sure on Grant or Finley.Sure, Id like them back, but numbers that Finley will want, he does not deserve.

Wells is the priority on that one for sure.

On Collins, will wait and see...if he is done (and I do suspect you are correct here), is it time for Woodson to make the move?

Put him at FS with Burnett back in his old spot.

Id guess defense will be the key for them in the draft with OL and a QB in the later rounds.

The other issue will be what coaches get plucked.

Possibly could lose Philbin, Moss, Perry and/or Capers.

Id say at least 3 of them are gone (guesing if Moss or Capers get a HC job, Perry could be the DC...or GB will push to keep Perry or Moss at DC if Capers goes).

That is TT's MO. I just wonder if they will make any major changes moving forward, such as letting finley/flynn walk and using that money to sign a bigger name player(they did sign Woodson before).I think LT is a huge need as well. Bulaga isn't a LT and Sherrod is done for awhile. Clifton has been injured often and is 36.Would upgrading RB in round 1 or 2 and letting Grant walk be a good idea?
Bulaga is the RT...they have an LT in Newhouse.Not sure how long it will take for Sherrod to get back from the leg though...would think its better than his knee being done.But yes, there will be a tackle taken/brought in most likely.Nothing flashy...don't see them signing someone given they have Newhouse and seeing that Sherrod should be back at some point.I don't see TT ever going RB in round one, unless there is just some huge value in it.And his round 2 RBs frighten me at times...almost as if he reaches on potential there.But with Starks, Saine, and Green (not sure his time table to return), not sure they feel this is a huge need to use a high pick on RB. (and with the way the defense is, the fans might revolt on that one).

Part of me also wonders if they make a change like you outline. But the other part knows that from watching Thompson in Green Bay, he doesn't deviate from the template. It's the same blueprint you'll see with Reggie McKenzie in Oakland.I don't think they'll draft a running back and let Grant go for one simple reason. Green Bay, like many other teams, is taking advanatage of this being a very QB friendly league. Decent running backs can be had late, particularly if you're a pass first team that only uses the run to keep teams honest. It's worked for them previously, as it has with New England as well. This is the offensive philosophy, and I don't see that changing.
Very true yet again, good discussion thus far. One of my friends is a die hard and he thought that the Packers were going to draft Crabtree in that draft because TT had him higher rated on his board, so he did deviate(if that was true).I agree on the RBBC and making RB less of a priority, but if they can find a great RB in the 2nd/3rd even(maybe a David Wilson/Lamar Miller type), it could be a huge upgrade. I would also like to see Starks more of a threat in the passing game, he was a good at that in Buffalo.

Not sure on Grant or Finley.Sure, Id like them back, but numbers that Finley will want, he does not deserve.

Wells is the priority on that one for sure.

On Collins, will wait and see...if he is done (and I do suspect you are correct here), is it time for Woodson to make the move?

Put him at FS with Burnett back in his old spot.

Id guess defense will be the key for them in the draft with OL and a QB in the later rounds.

The other issue will be what coaches get plucked.

Possibly could lose Philbin, Moss, Perry and/or Capers.

Id say at least 3 of them are gone (guesing if Moss or Capers get a HC job, Perry could be the DC...or GB will push to keep Perry or Moss at DC if Capers goes).
Wells was definitely the best/most consistent lineman this past year.I wonder what taking Finley away would do to the offense though. I know he disappointed expectations(not sure if these expectations were valid to begin with, speaking to the bump finley crowds), but he is a huge target and a great athlete. Take him out of the equation, Driver being 37, and it could severely hurt that passing attack. Add to that Jennings is a UFA after 2013, and isn't a young pup anymore, and TT has to figure out a plan for the skill players. Nelson/Jones/Cobb doesn't look as appealing to me anyway.

Woodson at FS and Burnett at SS is very interesting. However, they still need to find a legit CB3 because Woodson was a playmaker(although I think his skills may be deteriorating).

What are you looking for them to fill on Defense? OLB, CB3, S, DE???

Losing coaches is interesting as well, I would assume Reggie McKenzie is going to take a few in Oakland.

That is TT's MO. I just wonder if they will make any major changes moving forward, such as letting finley/flynn walk and using that money to sign a bigger name player(they did sign Woodson before).I think LT is a huge need as well. Bulaga isn't a LT and Sherrod is done for awhile. Clifton has been injured often and is 36.Would upgrading RB in round 1 or 2 and letting Grant walk be a good idea?
Bulaga is the RT...they have an LT in Newhouse.Not sure how long it will take for Sherrod to get back from the leg though...would think its better than his knee being done.But yes, there will be a tackle taken/brought in most likely.Nothing flashy...don't see them signing someone given they have Newhouse and seeing that Sherrod should be back at some point.I don't see TT ever going RB in round one, unless there is just some huge value in it.And his round 2 RBs frighten me at times...almost as if he reaches on potential there.But with Starks, Saine, and Green (not sure his time table to return), not sure they feel this is a huge need to use a high pick on RB. (and with the way the defense is, the fans might revolt on that one).
Do you think Newhouse can develop into a legit LT though? I have my doubts and I hope Sherrod can come back, injuries are the worst part of this game.I guess I forgot about Green(torn ACL still hurts). I don't think a lot of Saine. He was a big time recruit to Ohio State, but had lots of injuries and never fully developed his game.One theory is the Packers could go Indianapolis Colts and just keep reloading on weapons for Rodgers(talking about your revolt). Reggie Wayne(1st), Dallas Clark(1st), Anthony Gonzalez(1st), Edgerrin James(1st), OL higher picks, etc.

Bulaga is the RT...they have an LT in Newhouse.Not sure how long it will take for Sherrod to get back from the leg though...would think its better than his knee being done.But yes, there will be a tackle taken/brought in most likely.
I have very little faith in Newhouse at LT. He's better suited inside or on the right. And I don't think Bulaga can play on the left either. This is a big need for Green Bay, as Newhouse and Clifton were both abused by the Giants DEs.

My link

This link is to another forum so this guy may not have all of the numbers 100% correct but it is a good starting point for the salary cap discussion.

Based on his thoughts it looks like the cap will be ~$124.5M with the Packers sitting ~$27.75M under that.

I agree with most all of this but also wonder whether there is a discussion to be had about Dom Capers. I think anytime a defense finishes dead last in the league (and the worst in franchise history) the DC job has to be part of the offseason discussion. I think Capers' D went from a very dynamic, creative, exciting #5 finish last season to a predictable, bland group of mediocre underachievers that seems to be very easy for opposing OC's to gameplan I see Woodson possibly making the long-rumored move to safety, and the other big questions are whether they will franchise Finley and how to get value out of Flynn's departure.

Lets start with defense, defense, and defense:

Linebacker: I know I say this constantly, but is there a more overrated linebacker than AJ Hawk? Desmond Bishop is fine in the middle, and is really good when he isn't battling nagging injuries. And obviously Hawk won't be replaced due to his contract. Matthews is Matthews, but the Pack are wasting his greatness by trotting out sub par OLB opposite him. I think this is the biggest need on the defense, but I am not sure where the answer is. Haven't really looked at free agents yet.

D Line: Cullen Jenkins was greatly missed in the Giants game. When they went 3 down lineman rushing, their was zero rush, not even a push. Jenkins was fantastic at rushing the passer in the playoffs last season. Definitely need another body for depth, here, but I would not say it is a priority. A veteran rotation end would be helpful.

Secondary: Poor year, that was exacerbated by poor pass rush. Safety is an area of need, and I have no confidence Collins will be healthy next year.

Offense:

Offensive Line: Do not move Bulaga, he was rated as one of the best right tackles in the league. Leave him at his position of strength. Left Tackle is a huge issue. Sherrod has got the leg issue, and Newhouse has to significantly improve (like his talent, just needs to become consistent, a big if).

Running Back: Need better talent here.

Wide Receiver: Jennings, Nelson, Cobb top 3. Let Jones walk. Draft a WR to step in in 2 years when Jennings leaves.

Tight End: Do no sign Finley long term. I wouldn't franchise him, either. Would rahter franchise Flynn, as it is likely a team will give up a couple of picks.

Quarterback: Flynn is as good as gone.

Finley - gone, or he has to take a reasonable number - and I don't think 5.4m is reasonable for him. The Packers drafted two TE last year and kept 4 (or 5) on their roster.

Woodson - he becomes a safety or is gone/retires

Driver - retire/cut. Pretty sure they like Tony Gurly enough to start him as their 5th WR. Expect Cobb to get more reps.

D-Line - they have to get somebody. Lack of Dline rush without a linebacker/db blitz was pathetic. Not re-signing Jenkins and Neil's bust clearly hurt the Packers. Either it's a FA or they have to draft high.

Grant will be gone or back at NFL minimum. Starks/Green/Saine/Kuhns is enough for TT.

Clifton is gone. O line needs to have some attention paid to it. Not sure if Newhouse can be anything other than a back up.

Flynn is gone. No way they pay him what it will take. Pack will draft a QB, plan on Harrell being the #2

Lets start with defense, defense, and defense:Linebacker: I know I say this constantly, but is there a more overrated linebacker than AJ Hawk? Desmond Bishop is fine in the middle, and is really good when he isn't battling nagging injuries. And obviously Hawk won't be replaced due to his contract. Matthews is Matthews, but the Pack are wasting his greatness by trotting out sub par OLB opposite him. I think this is the biggest need on the defense, but I am not sure where the answer is. Haven't really looked at free agents yet. D Line: Cullen Jenkins was greatly missed in the Giants game. When they went 3 down lineman rushing, their was zero rush, not even a push. Jenkins was fantastic at rushing the passer in the playoffs last season. Definitely need another body for depth, here, but I would not say it is a priority. A veteran rotation end would be helpful.Secondary: Poor year, that was exacerbated by poor pass rush. Safety is an area of need, and I have no confidence Collins will be healthy next year.Offense:Offensive Line: Do not move Bulaga, he was rated as one of the best right tackles in the league. Leave him at his position of strength. Left Tackle is a huge issue. Sherrod has got the leg issue, and Newhouse has to significantly improve (like his talent, just needs to become consistent, a big if).Running Back: Need better talent here. Wide Receiver: Jennings, Nelson, Cobb top 3. Let Jones walk. Draft a WR to step in in 2 years when Jennings leaves.Tight End: Do no sign Finley long term. I wouldn't franchise him, either. Would rahter franchise Flynn, as it is likely a team will give up a couple of picks.Quarterback: Flynn is as good as gone.
Jones has a multi year deal, he stays. Gurly comes in at #5Get some D line help, linebackers will look better.

Offensive Line: Do not move Bulaga, he was rated as one of the best right tackles in the league. Leave him at his position of strength. Left Tackle is a huge issue. Sherrod has got the leg issue, and Newhouse has to significantly improve (like his talent, just needs to become consistent, a big if).
Bulaga was one of the best right tackles? I didn't think he played that well, imagine if he played a full year healthy.

Lets start with defense, defense, and defense:Linebacker: I know I say this constantly, but is there a more overrated linebacker than AJ Hawk? Desmond Bishop is fine in the middle, and is really good when he isn't battling nagging injuries. And obviously Hawk won't be replaced due to his contract. Matthews is Matthews, but the Pack are wasting his greatness by trotting out sub par OLB opposite him. I think this is the biggest need on the defense, but I am not sure where the answer is. Haven't really looked at free agents yet. D Line: Cullen Jenkins was greatly missed in the Giants game. When they went 3 down lineman rushing, their was zero rush, not even a push. Jenkins was fantastic at rushing the passer in the playoffs last season. Definitely need another body for depth, here, but I would not say it is a priority. A veteran rotation end would be helpful.Secondary: Poor year, that was exacerbated by poor pass rush. Safety is an area of need, and I have no confidence Collins will be healthy next year.Offense:Offensive Line: Do not move Bulaga, he was rated as one of the best right tackles in the league. Leave him at his position of strength. Left Tackle is a huge issue. Sherrod has got the leg issue, and Newhouse has to significantly improve (like his talent, just needs to become consistent, a big if).Running Back: Need better talent here. Wide Receiver: Jennings, Nelson, Cobb top 3. Let Jones walk. Draft a WR to step in in 2 years when Jennings leaves.Tight End: Do no sign Finley long term. I wouldn't franchise him, either. Would rahter franchise Flynn, as it is likely a team will give up a couple of picks.Quarterback: Flynn is as good as gone.
Jones has a multi year deal, he stays. Gurly comes in at #5Get some D line help, linebackers will look better.
First round DE? OLB? LT? DB?

Why is there speculation that Nick Collins is done? I haven't read that his injury was career threatening. I saw him walking around with a brace on in the sky box area during the Denver game.

First round DE? OLB? LT? DB?
More like BPA. As always.

TT certainly leans toward BPA

And when the have gone DE/DT early it has not exactly panned out as well as they hoped....

If available, I would bet on defensive secondary first, dline second, linebackers 3rd. Defensive BPA perhaps? I can't see them taking an offensive player outside of a lineman in the first round. They could use a running back, just don't see that ever happening with TT

Why is there speculation that Nick Collins is done? I haven't read that his injury was career threatening. I saw him walking around with a brace on in the sky box area during the Denver game.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-11-03/nick-collins-acknowledges-career-may-be-overhttp://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/37634/nick-collins-awaiting-word-on-his-future
Wow, not sure how I missed those, thanks for the links.

Wells was definitely the best/most consistent lineman this past year.I wonder what taking Finley away would do to the offense though. I know he disappointed expectations(not sure if these expectations were valid to begin with, speaking to the bump finley crowds), but he is a huge target and a great athlete. Take him out of the equation, Driver being 37, and it could severely hurt that passing attack. Add to that Jennings is a UFA after 2013, and isn't a young pup anymore, and TT has to figure out a plan for the skill players. Nelson/Jones/Cobb doesn't look as appealing to me anyway.Woodson at FS and Burnett at SS is very interesting. However, they still need to find a legit CB3 because Woodson was a playmaker(although I think his skills may be deteriorating).What are you looking for them to fill on Defense? OLB, CB3, S, DE???Losing coaches is interesting as well, I would assume Reggie McKenzie is going to take a few in Oakland.
Agree on Wells. Priority #1 as far as their own guys IMO.As for Finley...he has so much potential, and even with the drops, he does make a lot of big plays that set other things up.The worry will not just be what does the Packer offense do, but who gets Finley and does he live up to his expectations (GMs can't worry about such things for sure, but as a fan its a worry).I don't worry about TT's plan with WRs...he has shown he can pick them pretty well.And defenitely agree that if Woodson goes to safety, they need to find a CB3. Bush is not it. He is decent near the LOS, but sucks in coverage.Defense, a lot will depend on Collins.But ROLB, DE, S/CB are things that have to be drafted...depends on who is there as far as what I would go with first. But, ROLB seems the bigger "need", then DE.

Do you think Newhouse can develop into a legit LT though? I have my doubts and I hope Sherrod can come back, injuries are the worst part of this game.I guess I forgot about Green(torn ACL still hurts). I don't think a lot of Saine. He was a big time recruit to Ohio State, but had lots of injuries and never fully developed his game.One theory is the Packers could go Indianapolis Colts and just keep reloading on weapons for Rodgers(talking about your revolt). Reggie Wayne(1st), Dallas Clark(1st), Anthony Gonzalez(1st), Edgerrin James(1st), OL higher picks, etc.
Sure Newhouse struggled against speed rushers...but usually just the best out there. He was pretty good as a run blocker and not bad for his first real year starting and at LT.I think he can develop into at least an average LT to hopefully stem things til Sherrod is ready.

........ But, ROLB seems the bigger "need", then DE.
I still contend it is the Dline that has to get better. That is the main difference from last year - the Dline could get pressure by just rushing 4. This year? Not so much. One decent DE and the Linebackers get better in a hurry

I still contend it is the Dline that has to get better. That is the main difference from last year - the Dline could get pressure by just rushing 4. This year? Not so much. One decent DE and the Linebackers get better in a hurry
Good point...and if they have another DE...maybe they can quit this 2 DL, 4 LB, 5 DBs nearly every down crap.Rushing 3 really sucks when only 2 of them are Dlineman.If Woodson does make the move to safety, it might change that just since he was the 3rd CB playing more like an LB in those situations anyway.

I agree with this. While another OLB is a huge need a DE is a bigger one. Should be the #1 priority in the draft/free agency.

Wells was definitely the best/most consistent lineman this past year.I wonder what taking Finley away would do to the offense though. I know he disappointed expectations(not sure if these expectations were valid to begin with, speaking to the bump finley crowds), but he is a huge target and a great athlete. Take him out of the equation, Driver being 37, and it could severely hurt that passing attack. Add to that Jennings is a UFA after 2013, and isn't a young pup anymore, and TT has to figure out a plan for the skill players. Nelson/Jones/Cobb doesn't look as appealing to me anyway.Woodson at FS and Burnett at SS is very interesting. However, they still need to find a legit CB3 because Woodson was a playmaker(although I think his skills may be deteriorating).What are you looking for them to fill on Defense? OLB, CB3, S, DE???Losing coaches is interesting as well, I would assume Reggie McKenzie is going to take a few in Oakland.
And defenitely agree that if Woodson goes to safety, they need to find a CB3. Bush is not it. He is decent near the LOS, but sucks in coverage.
My hunch is if Woodson does move to safety, they roll into the season with Davon House and hope he's ready to take that leap. That's my hunch.

Where do the Packers go from here

By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel

Jan. 16, 2012 4:56 p.m. |(22) Comments

Green Bay -- The Packers' 2011 season is officially in the books. They broke records, chased history and were one and done in the postseason. So...what's next? Here are five things Green Bay must address in the off-season. Put your G.M. hat on and map out a plan of attack in the comments section below:

1. Find a 3-4 end. As many of you tweeted during the Wild Card weekend, as he rumbled into the end zone, J.J. Watt sure could have helped out his home-state team. Unfortunately for the Packers, the Houston Texans drafted Watt long before they ever had a shot at him. This off-season, Green Bay needs to find a prototypical 3-4 end in the draft or free agency. The team could never replace Cullen Jenkins. Jarius Wynn and C.J. Wilson were role players forced into larger roles. Instead of banking on Mike Neal as the 2012 starter -- or rolling the dice on another high pick -- maybe Ted Thompson should pay up for someone on the defensive line. The New York Giants and San Francisco 49ers are full proof that defenses must generate pressure without blitzing. Green Bay could not do that this season.

2. Invest at OLB. Other than Clay Matthews, the Packers have relied on a '10 waiver pick-up, a '10 undrafted free agent, two '11 undrafted free agents and a '09 seventh-rounder at outside linebacker during Dom Capers' three years as defensive coordinator. It's time for Green Bay to spend another high pick at the position. They can't go through another season throwing darts here. Another pass-rushing threat is needed.

3. Decisions on Finley, Wells... Thompson isn't one to dole out contracts to 31-year-olds. Still, it's surprising no agreement was reached with center Scott Wells during the season. Centers are not disposable here. Jason Spitz could never hang onto the job over Wells and Nick McDonald -- a potential heir apparent -- crashed and burned during the preseason. Wells is a Pro Bowler that deserves a big deal. If Green Bay won't give him one, someone else will. With Finley, expect the franchise tag. Yes, we know. Green Bay won a Super Bowl without him. But he's only 24 years old and this offense has proven to be much more explosive with him. It's worth giving Finley another season.

4. ...and Matt Flynn. Read Tom Silverstein's earlier blog post today for more on this. It's hard to see Green Bay risking the tag on Flynn. Management would need to have a deal in place. With a full off-season, and his first quarterbacks school, Graham Harrell will likely get his crack at the No. 2 job.

5. Is Nick Collins ready? He's staying optimistic. In March, Collins will undergo tests on his neck, meet with his doctor and make a decision. To help the Packers' brass, Collins said he doesn't plan on waiting too long. If he is forced to retire, Green Bay can't lean on Morgan Burnett, Charlie Peprah and M.D. Jennings at the position again. Peprah had a rough game Sunday. Burnett has long-term potential but remains young and raw at times. Don't be surprised if Thompson drafts a safety in the first three rounds to pair with Burnett down the road.

Have at it...

I know a lot of people are down on Finley (and rightfully so), but I don't see him walking. With the success of a lot of TEs this year, we're in the midst of a potential offensive sea change and Finley at least has the uncoachable elements to be great. He definitely needs more consistency and maturity, but I think it's hard to part with a physical talent like that, even if he's not playing to expectations. I don't think he has a history of off field issues, which means I think his maturity stands a chance of improving instead of someone like Jeremay Stevens, who had a ton of talent, but couldn't make the transition to adulthood.

Seems like some of the issues people have with him is that he didn't perform to the lofty expectations, but he still had a pretty good year. Can he do better? Absolutely, but he's worth continuing to work with (though not at 9mil+).

If they take a 3-4 end in the first round, they might want to take a look at Kendall Reyes out of UCONN. I have watched every game he has played, and he would be a perfect fit. He has played D Tackle and D End in his UCONN career, and played last season under Don Brown, who ran alot of 3-4 looks. Very athletic (played almost every position in high school, including safety). His versatility reminds me alot of Cullen Jenkins. He made quite a few plays in opponent's backfields. UCONN was # 3 against the run, and Reyes was a big reason why.

CBS Bio

I expect his stock to rise as scouts watch his game film.

Users who are viewing this thread