What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official *** Atlantic 10 Basketball Thread (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Footballguy
Every other major basketball conference has one of these threads, time for the Atlantic 10 to have one (there has to be A10 fans besides me here)...

Losing Temple hurts, but I loved this report yesterday that the A10 is in talks with Butler, VCU, and George Mason.

I'm a GW alum and season ticket holder. It would be great for us to develop local, in-conference rivalries with VCU and GMU. We don't have any team that I would call a "rival" (perhaps because the program has just been down the past few years). And Hinkle Fieldhouse is one of those "bucket list"-type places for me. I'm looking forward to the possibility of being able to cross it off with a Butler-GW game in a couple of years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be talking to myself in this thread, but I don't care... Butler is officially in the A-10. :clap:

Really excited about this, and helps make up for the loss of Temple.

Butler is a very strong addition to the A-10. Congrats. I wonder if VCU and Mason will move. Combine them with Drexel and ODU and the CAA is quietly becoming the best non BCS conference in college hoops. They are right on the A-10s heels. There are strong, close rivalries in the CAA that would be tough to give up.

Xavier, Dayton, UMass, Richmond, St. Joe's, Saint Louis, Rhode Island (with Danny Hurley as coach) ... and now Butler and VCU.

Have fun cracking that group on a regular basis just to get a top-eight seed in the A-10 tournament.

Maybe no top-10 caliber programs, but quite a solid cast.

Xavier, Dayton, UMass, Richmond, St. Joe's, Saint Louis, Rhode Island (with Danny Hurley as coach) ... and now Butler and VCU.Have fun cracking that group on a regular basis just to get a top-eight seed in the A-10 tournament.Maybe no top-10 caliber programs, but quite a solid cast.
St. Bonaventure & Duquesne not bad programs either

Xavier, Dayton, UMass, Richmond, St. Joe's, Saint Louis, Rhode Island (with Danny Hurley as coach) ... and now Butler and VCU.Have fun cracking that group on a regular basis just to get a top-eight seed in the A-10 tournament.Maybe no top-10 caliber programs, but quite a solid cast.
Neither one ever has any staying power, however. SB won the A-10 tournament this year, but loses Nicholson. Duquesne is in shambles, with Everhart canned and McConnell transferring out. And even in an "up" year this past season, they still finished ninth.

:goodposting:A-10 is extremely underrated.
People here in Richmond are VERY excited about the move. They saw what happened to Drexel this year (getting left out despite winning regular season) and felt they had to move. The A-10 is looking nice right now.

2012-13 will be a strange season, with VCU coming in and Temple and Charlotte still hanging ... a cumbersome 15-team league.

What would make the most (temporary) sense would be creating three scheduling pods of five teams. Play each of the teams in your pod home/away, and each team in the other two pods once each, for an 18-game schedule. Whether they would want to go with the two extra league games remains to be seen, or teams could just play two of the other four teams in the pod twice each to keep it at 16.

Anyway, something like ...

UMass

Rhode Island

Fordham

St. Bonaventure

Duquesne

St. Joseph's

Temple

Dayton

Xavier

Saint Louis

GW

Charlotte

VCU

Richmond

La Salle

Or maybe five pods of three, to keep things simple:

UMass

URI

Fordham

St. Joseph's

Temple

La Salle

Duquesne

St. Bonaventure

Charlotte

Dayton

Xavier

Saint Louis

VCU

Richmond

George Washington (thought about Charlotte here, but they're leaving and we want to start rivalries going forward, so screw 'em)

Forgot to mention this yesterday ... Butler has moved up the timetable and will join the A-10 in time for the 2012-13 season.

This complicates things a bit with a 16-team league now for one season, until Temple and Charlotte leave.

What to do with the league schedule?

Seems likely the league will stick with 16 games and drop two of the three home-and-home series, giving each team one home-and-home "rival" and one game against each of the other 14. Otherwise, teams would be in a tough spot of giving up two non-conference games.

Also, a 16-team tournament similar to the Big East would be very intriguing. But with the move to the new arena in Brooklyn, looks like they will stick with the 12-team format and play it out over four consecutive days.

Forgot to mention this yesterday ... Butler has moved up the timetable and will join the A-10 in time for the 2012-13 season.This complicates things a bit with a 16-team league now for one season, until Temple and Charlotte leave.What to do with the league schedule?Seems likely the league will stick with 16 games and drop two of the three home-and-home series, giving each team one home-and-home "rival" and one game against each of the other 14. Otherwise, teams would be in a tough spot of giving up two non-conference games.Also, a 16-team tournament similar to the Big East would be very intriguing. But with the move to the new arena in Brooklyn, looks like they will stick with the 12-team format and play it out over four consecutive days.
I read the A10 made official on both counts (12 team tourney, and sticking with 16 games).Hopefully Temple and Charlotte face each other twice.

Hopefully Rhody turns things around with Hurley, Baron was an absolute trainwreck of a coach. I have no idea how he lasted as long as he did.

Big news coming for the A10 today...

The Atlantic 10 Conference has signed eight-year media rights deals with ESPN, CBS Sports Network and NBC Sports Network starting with the '13-14 season. A formal announcement is expected to come today. Financial terms were not disclosed. Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures represented the A-10. The conference keeps a significant amount of digital and sponsorship rights, which it plans to use or sell separately. Under the new deals, the A-10 will double its number of national basketball game broadcasts to 96 (73 men's and 23 women's).
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2012/10/02/A10.aspx

I'm hoping the Hawks can get back in the hunt this year. It's been a tough run on Hawk Hill.

LaSalle brings back four starters from last year (Ramon Galloway, Tyreek Duren, Jerrell Wright, Sam Mills) and adds VT transfer Tyrone Garland after Christmas.

Hoping Majerus's health exit doesn't hurt SLU too much. He was a great game manager and this is a team that returns the bulk of its roster from last season.

Hoping Majerus's health exit doesn't hurt SLU too much. He was a great game manager and this is a team that returns the bulk of its roster from last season.
St. Louis definitely would have been the A10 favorite with Majerus back. Might still be the favorite, but will be interesting to see how much his loss affects them.

Bump with the A10 season now underway... VCU and Butler look like they are the teams to beat in their first season. Although Butler's looking a lot more beatable after their loss to LaSalle.Pretty happy with the way my Colonials have been playing so far. A 3-2 start in conference play while starting four freshmen (with the fifth, a transfer in his first year with the program). But the toughest part of the schedule is still ahead.

Bump with the A10 season now underway... VCU and Butler look like they are the teams to beat in their first season. Although Butler's looking a lot more beatable after their loss to LaSalle.Pretty happy with the way my Colonials have been playing so far. A 3-2 start in conference play while starting four freshmen (with the fifth, a transfer in his first year with the program). But the toughest part of the schedule is still ahead.
I think the surprise so far has been Charlotte.LaSalle goes to #19 VCU on Saturday. After a huge win last night, wouldn't surprise me to see them come out totally flat.

Charlotte has been quite the surprise this year. Their OOC schedule was kind of weak, so I was not sure what to make of them, but they've started off strong in-conference too.I'm going to be out of town this weekend and will miss the GW-Charlotte game, which I'm disappointed about. :kicksrock:

Some interesting A-10 games yesterday.Dayton upset Xavier.St.Louis might be the team that nobody wants to play right now after beating Charlotte soundly yesterday. Billikens play VCU on Wednesday.LaSalle had a nice City Series win over St. Joe's. They can claim the Big 5 title outright with a win over Temple on Thursday.

St.Louis might be the team that nobody wants to play right now after beating Charlotte soundly yesterday. Billikens play VCU on Wednesday.
Match of the Year in the A10 right there.When Majerus died, I thought this team was going to crumble. Instead, they're flat-out dominating. This group has played together and started games since their freshman year, which means they have unreal chemistry compared to other NCAA teams, and much of them are still juniors. This may be the :homer: in me, but this team will be dangerous come tourney time.

'Brady Marino said:
'JaxBill said:
St.Louis might be the team that nobody wants to play right now after beating Charlotte soundly yesterday. Billikens play VCU on Wednesday.
Match of the Year in the A10 right there.When Majerus died, I thought this team was going to crumble. Instead, they're flat-out dominating. This group has played together and started games since their freshman year, which means they have unreal chemistry compared to other NCAA teams, and much of them are still juniors. This may be the :homer: in me, but this team will be dangerous come tourney time.
VCU has one of the best home court advantages in the country. Sold out, rowdy crowds in a nice small arena that makes it louder than one would expect. Going to the game Wed. and very excited. Nice win by the Spiders in OT last night as well.

Looking forward to watching this one tonight. I'd put both VCU and St. Louis over Butler right now (even if the polls show otherwise).

Looking forward to watching this one tonight. I'd put both VCU and St. Louis over Butler right now (even if the polls show otherwise).
:goodposting: Most anticipated game of the year for me, IMO. SLU just does not lose at home and VCU just does not lose at the road.

Home cooking plus SLU's recent assault and rape of Butler has to make them the favorites, but it's going to be a barnburner still.

Damn proud to have supported SLU over the years when they were crud. This win was total dominance against a team that doesn't get dominated ever.Now the challenge will be on Saturday, when SLU travels to Butler. Yes, SLU already demolished Butler and yes, SLU is coming off a huge win against VCU. But if Butler weren't the higher-ranked team, this game Saturday has trap written all over it. If SLU passes the test against Butler, may God help whoever faces them in March Madness.

SLU completes the sweep of Butler, this time on the road!9 wins in a row, including two over Butler and one over VCU, sitting pretty on top of the tough A-10...if they're not ranked next week, I don't know what else they'll need to do. This team is for real.

SLU, Xavier, Butler, Dayton, and Richmond to possibly be among teams in "new Big East".Even though the A-10 is a solid basketball conference as it stands, I always thought it was a bit of an odd fit for SLU geographically. The new conference would make more sense for them, IMO.
It was an odd fit, but I will be sad to see them go (and the others), but I can't really blame them if they do go. Always wanted to make a game out there, but never made it.Looking forward to SLU @ GW this weekend though.

SLU, Xavier, Butler, Dayton, and Richmond to possibly be among teams in "new Big East".Even though the A-10 is a solid basketball conference as it stands, I always thought it was a bit of an odd fit for SLU geographically. The new conference would make more sense for them, IMO.
It was an odd fit, but I will be sad to see them go (and the others), but I can't really blame them if they do go. Always wanted to make a game out there, but never made it.Looking forward to SLU @ GW this weekend though.
SLU vs GW should be fun, and it's a game I hope SLU doesn't take lightly. Yes, SLU has had gigantic wins of late, but they shouldn't overlook GW, especially on the road. Of course, SLU has to deal with St. Joes at home tomorrow as well. Xavier will be a big test next week as well for SLU.SLU ranked in the Top 20 now, BTW. :thumbup:

ESPN reporting that Butler and X are gone after this year. Thought they would stick around for at least one more year in the A10. Not even going to get my trip to Butler in...

ESPN reporting that Butler and X are gone after this year. Thought they would stick around for at least one more year in the A10. Not even going to get my trip to Butler in...
Creighton, Dayton, Richmond, and St. Louis remain options for a further league expansion to 12 teams.
SLU makes no qualms about sticking to its Catholic roots. They're a mortal lock for the New Big East.

VCU's domination of Butler was impressive to watch. I would not want to face either, or SLU, in the tourney....Thought GW had a chance today when we took the lead with about ten minutes to go. Unfortunately that ended up being the high water mark.

Billikens continue to impress and blow out LaSalle. SLU has clinched top seed for tourney.

Explorers now have to root for VCU to beat Temple today so LaSalle can cling to the all-important 4 seed.

Billikens continue to impress and blow out LaSalle. SLU has clinched top seed for tourney.Explorers now have to root for VCU to beat Temple today so LaSalle can cling to the all-important 4 seed.
SLU is going to be an absolute nightmare for teams to play against in the tourney. They do enough offensively, but defensively, they can completely unravel an offensive gameplan.As for LaSalle, Lunardi does have them as one of the last four in. A strong showing in the tourney would really help their cause. LaSalle's not a bad team at all, they hung with SLU for much of the game yesterday until SLU pulled away late.

Geez that 5-12 Butler-Dayton matchup speaks volumes about the depth in the conference.

NEWPORT NEWS, Va.--Saint Louis has claimed the top seed for the 2013 Atlantic 10 Men's Basketball Championship, which begins Thursday at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. The Billikens captured their first A-10 regular season title outright with a 13-3 conference record and will receive a bye to the quarterfinals.VCU is the second seed and will also receive a bye into the quarterfinals. The Rams, in their first season in the A-10, finished 12-4 in league play. Temple clinched a bye Sunday to finish 11-5 in the A-10 and force a three-way tiebreaker with Butler and La Salle. Temple defeated Saint Louis during the regular season, giving the Owls the tiebreaker advantage and the No. 3 Seed. La Salle defeated Butler head-to-head and will be seeded fourth to claim the final bye.No. 5 Butler, which also finished 11-5 in league play will face No. 12 Dayton Thursday at 2:30 pm. The Flyers finished 7-9 in conference play, tied with George Washington and St. Bonaventure. GW won the three-way tiebreaker, with head-to-head wins over both Dayton and SBU. The Butler-Dayton winner advances to Friday's quarterfinals to face fourth-seeded La Salle at 2:30 pm.Massachusetts and Xavier both finished at 9-7 in the A-10. UMass claims the sixth seed by head-to-head tiebreaker and will face 11th-seeded George Washington Thursday at 9:00 pm. The Colonials clinched a spot in the championship with an 81-80 overtime win over Dayton Saturday. The winner will face No. 3 Temple in Friday's quarterfinals at 9:00 pm.Richmond, Charlotte and Saint Joseph's all finished 8-8. The Spiders, by virtue of their overtime win over VCU earlier in the season, win the three-way tiebreaker and will be the eighth seed. Charlotte defeated SJU on Saturday to claim the head-to-head tiebreaker, seeding the 49ers ninth and the Hawks 10th. Saint Joseph's will face seventh-seeded Xavier at 6:30 pm on Thursday with the winner advancing to face No. 2 VCU in Friday's quarterfinals, also at 6:30 pm.No. 8 Richmond and No. 9 Charlotte open the championship at noon in the first game of Thursday's opening round. The winner will advance to face top-seeded Saint Louis at noon on Friday.Every game of the championship will air on live television. The first round will be carried by NBC Sports Network and the quarterfinals will air on regional and local television. Those clearances will be announced this week once finalized and those games will also be streamed free through Atlantic10.com's All-Access Player. CBS Sports Network will carry the semifinals and CBS will again air the championship game as part of the network's Selection Sunday coverage.

The ending to the Richmond-UNCC game yesterday was pretty crazy. Not sure it should have been a shooting foul, but Mooney needs to keep his cool there.

Butler-LaSalle should be a good one this afternoon.

And just like that, it comes crashing down. Who would've thunk La Salle has the best shot to advance to the S16? Butler with an impressive game but just couldn't close it out. VCU and St. Louis ran into terrible match ups with BCS talent.

VCU ran into a team that could handle "Havoc" and officials who weren't fooled by the clutching and grabbing. Get the Rams in a halfcourt game and they're a much different team.

As for Saint Louis, it's too bad Oregon is probably the most criminally under-seeded team in the eyes of many analysts in years.

VCU ran into a team that could handle "Havoc" and officials who weren't fooled by the clutching and grabbing. Get the Rams in a halfcourt game and they're a much different team.As for Saint Louis, it's too bad Oregon is probably the most criminally under-seeded team in the eyes of many analysts in years.
Agree about VCU. Michigan might have been the single worst match up for them of any team in the tournament. As for Saint Louis, not sure why it matters what seed Oregon was. Even considering they were under-seeded, just pretend they were a 5 seed. I agree Oregon is a good team but it is the round of 32, most every team is good and if not Oregon, they probably would have ran into a better team.

VCU ran into a team that could handle "Havoc" and officials who weren't fooled by the clutching and grabbing. Get the Rams in a halfcourt game and they're a much different team.As for Saint Louis, it's too bad Oregon is probably the most criminally under-seeded team in the eyes of many analysts in years.
Agree about VCU. Michigan might have been the single worst match up for them of any team in the tournament. As for Saint Louis, not sure why it matters what seed Oregon was. Even considering they were under-seeded, just pretend they were a 5 seed. I agree Oregon is a good team but it is the round of 32, most every team is good and if not Oregon, they probably would have ran into a better team.
That's a valid point, but do you think Saint Louis struggles that badly against any of the teams that actually were 5 seeds? Obviously they can beat VCU, and I would have liked their chances much better against any of Wisconsin, UNLV or Oklahoma State.

That's a valid point, but do you think Saint Louis struggles that badly against any of the teams that actually were 5 seeds? Obviously they can beat VCU, and I would have liked their chances much better against any of Wisconsin, UNLV or Oklahoma State.
Yeah, but that is more about match ups. If Oregon was a 5, people would say they were over-seeded. They just matched up well with St. Louis, hit some shots and St. Louis decided to panic. But Oregon is Louisville lite so if not this round, it would have been next. But VCU and St. Louis probably should have switched opponents then it would have been interesting. But this is why everyone always says it is about match ups.

Users who are viewing this thread