What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ladarius Green's value (1 Viewer)

Green was drafted to be Gates replacement, he's talented and was high on SD's draft board. Talent + Opportunity = Gold. Fleener and Allen may have an immediate impact but long term I wouldn't pass on Green for anyone else. From all accounts Gates is coming back healthy and if he is willing to be a mentor for Green, he could be a top TE for years to come.

He'll never be Gates, Graham, or Gronk if that's what you're asking. I don't think he's ever broken a tackle in his career. Slight exaggeration there, but you've seen how the top tight ends like Gates, Graham, Gronk, Witten, etc. play...they just throw people off of themselves.

And he'll gain weight...I believe he's trying to gain about 10 lbs. I believe he needs to gain more to become a yards after the catch monster...just not sure if he can keep his speed with that much of a weight gain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the guy a ton when his time comes and already cuffed him to Gates in four leagues.

I don't really understand why they want him to pick up ten pounds though -- he'll still be an undersized TE at 245, will be carrying unnatural weight (he claims it's almost impossible for him to keep weight on) and AJ Smith has already acknowledged that 'he'll never be a blocker'.

At his combine weight or down just a couple pounds he's very much in the mold of Plaxico, except faster. Would love to see him convert to pure WR as Colston did.

'wdcrob said:
I like the guy a ton when his time comes and already cuffed him to Gates in four leagues. I don't really understand why they want him to pick up ten pounds though -- he'll still be an undersized TE at 245, will be carrying unnatural weight (he claims it's almost impossible for him to keep weight on) and AJ Smith has already acknowledged that 'he'll never be a blocker'. At his combine weight or down just a couple pounds he's very much in the mold of Plaxico, except faster. Would love to see him convert to pure WR as Colston did.
Wasn't Colston a WR in college?

'wdcrob said:
I like the guy a ton when his time comes and already cuffed him to Gates in four leagues. I don't really understand why they want him to pick up ten pounds though -- he'll still be an undersized TE at 245, will be carrying unnatural weight (he claims it's almost impossible for him to keep weight on) and AJ Smith has already acknowledged that 'he'll never be a blocker'. At his combine weight or down just a couple pounds he's very much in the mold of Plaxico, except faster. Would love to see him convert to pure WR as Colston did.
Wasn't Colston a WR in college?
I thought he was a TE, but wouldn't bet very much money on it.

Pretty much no play or press in the pre-season (1 catch for 8 yards), is he still worth rostering in dynasty leagues?

Whew. He may be worth rostering in deep dynasty leagues but I don't think he holds a lot of value. I play zealots dynasty leagues so here is my thought process on those with 53 player rosters and IDP.

His opportunity does not look great for this year unless Gates gets hurt and then he may have an opportunity but would probably also have some other competition filling in. Gates is older but what if he plays for 2 or 3 more years? Green's opportunity still may be a ways out. We have to reduce rosters to 40 players in the offseason and putting Green in those 40 players could happen but would not be easy.

With my thinking in our zealot format I would not say he is worthless but would say he has very limited value.

'Warhogs said:
Whew. He may be worth rostering in deep dynasty leagues but I don't think he holds a lot of value. I play zealots dynasty leagues so here is my thought process on those with 53 player rosters and IDP.His opportunity does not look great for this year unless Gates gets hurt and then he may have an opportunity but would probably also have some other competition filling in. Gates is older but what if he plays for 2 or 3 more years? Green's opportunity still may be a ways out. We have to reduce rosters to 40 players in the offseason and putting Green in those 40 players could happen but would not be easy.With my thinking in our zealot format I would not say he is worthless but would say he has very limited value.
I think you've got a good handle on the situation.Green will very likely make the Chargers' 53-man roster this year, but I'd expect him to be inactive most of the time on game days.If Gates is hurt, Randy McMichael or Dante Rosario would fill in for him ahead of Green.I don't know how many years Gates has left. It's one season at a time at this point, I'd say. But if Green develops the way the Chargers believe he will, Gates will not have to retire in order for Green to get on the field. Gates could be Gronkowski and Green could be Hernandez. The league in general is using more two-tight end sets these says, and Green is almost more of a slot receiver than a true tight end, just like Hernandez. So whether he becomes a big part of the offense in 2013 or 2014 depends on Green's own development more than it depends on Gates, I think. I think he definitely has long-term value in a 53-man IDP league. But if rosters are cut to 40, he'd be pretty fringe.

So, what do people think now? I guess most will agree that Gates is done. Who will take over in SD next year?

McMichael and Rosario are still on the roster but will Green get the opportunity next year? Is it just too uncertain to say something remotely interesting about because of the coach/GM-situation?

They're obviously grooming him to be the next Gates. I think he's probably picking up a trick or two in practice.

Although, he could just as easily be a goon trying to get a multimillionaire dollar paycheck.

If I could see him practice I could tell you more.

anything to see here?
Here's what Gates had to say in November:
Perhaps the biggest testament to how good a player Green can become came from Gates’ extensive praise for the young rookie.“To me, the key is you can see how much he wants to get better,” said the future Hall-of-Famer. “You have guys in me and Randy who have played for a long time, and then you add Dante. (Green’s) shown a great desire to learn from all three of us to help him grow as a player. And physically, his greatest strength is that he’s an athlete. He can make plays in the passing game which you’ve seen. But he also understands the offense, understands things in the passing game and in the running game that have come a long way. That’s where in my mind he’s grown the most. He has a chance to be a very good player in this league for a long time.”
I hate to say it, but Gates is getting near the end. I don't think the Chargers will cut him this year but I wouldn't be surprised if 2013 is his last year. He's due $7.6M next year and they would save $5M by cutting him. If Green continues to develop and get stronger he has Aaron Hernandez potential.

thanks for the input - I did get Green for my 2013 R2. It ends up I got to the Super Bowl in a 10 team league, lost it. So, I traded 19th overall pick. I like that gamble.

Gates on Ladarius:

“He is at an unbelievable pace at how he’s growing and how he’s maturing mentally,” he said. “Obviously he can run and jump. He’s a big target. But just to see the growth over and over, day in and day out, just him putting in the work and preparation. I’m just trying to give him as much knowledge as I possibly can to help him become a better football player. He’s going to definitely be a player in this league and guys will definitely start to notice him.”

At 240 and 4.45 Green is physically closer to Vincent Jackson than he is Antonio Gates. I'm betting the Chargers coaches find a way to get their best receiver on the field.

At 240 and 4.45 Green is physically closer to Vincent Jackson than he is Antonio Gates. I'm betting the Chargers coaches find a way to get their best receiver on the field.
I assume you aren't meaning to imply that Green is the Chargers' best receiver this year...

I assume you aren't meaning to imply that Green is the Chargers' best receiver this year...
If they all had the same number of targets? Or in reality?

I think Allen is terrible and V Brown is slot material (if everything goes right). So with Alexander and Floyd out who else would I pick?

I admit I'm biased. I've thought Green was a big WR miscast as a TE since he was drafted and what we're seeing the last couple games suggests maybe it's so. Last season and this preseason may be a small sample, but so far it supports my initial thoughts. TEs don't average ~15 yards/catch (11/160/2 combined).

Given the current dreck at WR, his build and speed, and his performance to date I think they'd be smart to get him on the field more as a downfield receiver than let him rot as Gates's backup.

Looking good. Could be a nice sleeper this year.
Agreed, especially because it looks like the Bolts are going to be terrible and will be looking towards next year by early November. They're going to want to see what they have in Green.

I agree about wanting to get Green on the field. He looks good. But he's not the Chargers' best receiver. He's not better than Gates or Brown, at a minimum.

I agree about wanting to get Green on the field. He looks good. But he's not the Chargers' best receiver. He's not better than Gates or Brown, at a minimum.
I wasn't really including Gates (though I'm not sure how much he's got left).

But IMO Brown will prove to be a pretty limited player once the games count. Not saying he won't have a role, but I don't see him being someone defenses have to worry about.

I'm also not saying Green is that kind of player. Just that he might be and there's really no reason not to find out given the state of the WR corps.

Royal is on the shelf as well now after getting brutalized with a bruised lung and concussion in practice. Green should certainly see the field more now but I haven't heard anything from SD expect that Brown and Allen are the starting WRs.

Glad to hear Royal 'just' had a bruised lung. When I read that story I figured broken rib and collapsed lung.

Will be interesting to see now if they get Green on the field more. Still haven't seen much from the coaches about him.

Glad to hear Royal 'just' had a bruised lung. When I read that story I figured broken rib and collapsed lung.

Will be interesting to see now if they get Green on the field more. Still haven't seen much from the coaches about him.
They don't have many options at this point. I expected Phillips to see the field more in 2 TE's sets but they may need to get Green out there instead.

They don't have many options at this point. I expected Phillips to see the field more in 2 TE's sets but they may need to get Green out there instead.
I would be interested to hear if the coaching staff is choosing to leave Phillips in to help the tackles pass block or Green to have an extra outlet receiver on obvious passing downs. The goal was to get the ball out of Rivers hands as soon as possible which would lead you to believe Green would be in the game but is Fluker quick enough to pass block on the edge without help? They certainly brought in Woodhead for passing situations but not to help pass block.

Green was drafted to be Gates replacement, he's talented and was high on SD's draft board. Talent + Opportunity = Gold. Fleener and Allen may have an immediate impact but long term I wouldn't pass on Green for anyone else. From all accounts Gates is coming back healthy and if he is willing to be a mentor for Green, he could be a top TE for years to come.
Being "high" on a recent SD draft board rarely = gold. Probably the exact opposite.

Well, I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but I targetted him in my dynasty start up this year, I think he will get quite a few looks this year and will share the field with Gates.

Hes looked good. I haven't taken him yet in a single redraft and I doubt I will, but I like his potential as a prospect.

The chargers are going to be behind a lot this year, with that broken down WR corp and old man Gates, I see Green getting enough work to earn a large role next year, possibly even this year - I think he becomes top 10 the second Gates goes down.

This is me in the Chargers thread during the NFL draft in 2012...

I like that 4th round pick quite a bit. Ladarius Green will offer you guys lots of potential as a future starting caliber TE. Really like his size/speed combo, as did the Steelers, far more of a receiver then a blocker.
And now the Chargers really need a receiving option to step up and stand out.

From interview with Chargers WR Seji Ajirotutu:

7) Who in your opinion is the most underrated player on this 2013 roster?

Ladarius Green has done nothing but impress. From last year to now he has put in a lot of work and time and I know this year he will have a great year.

The more I think about it, the more I think Green will have a big year. He's built like DX with similar speed except he's 20 lbs. heavier. He's looked unstoppable in the preseason and I think they find a way to get him on the field.

Very interested in how this plays out over the next few weeks. :drive:

My thinking is that with the O-Line in such bad shape, the chargers may be running 2-TE sets. I'm dying to see what this guy can do in game time.

My thinking is that with the O-Line in such bad shape, the chargers may be running 2-TE sets. I'm dying to see what this guy can do in game time.
If they use 2-TE sets to help with the blocking, it will probably be John Phillips rather than Ladarius Green. Phillips is #2 on the depth chart behind Gates, and he is the better blocker.

Green should get some playing time as more of a receiver rather than as a traditional tight end. He is, of course, a far better blocker than Eddie Royal, so it's not out of the question for him to come into the game to help as a blocker, or at least as a "blocking threat," you might say. But I'd expect him to be used mostly as a receiver when he's in the game.

Saw something the other day where Green said he'd put on nine pounds compared to last year. If that's vs his combine weight he'd be up to something like 247.

At 238 I think there was a good argument that if he's built like a receiver, runs like a receiver and produces like a receiver he's a receiver. At 247 though he's a carbon copy of Coby Fleener -- exact same HT/WT -- and proportionately the same size Gonzalez was when he came into the league.

He's one of the guys I'm most curious to see tomorrow.

I don't have a good feel for how much playing time he'll get on Monday night. I think he'll get decent playing time this season eventually; I just don't know if it will take a little while, or if it will happen right away.

I don't have a good feel for how much playing time he'll get on Monday night. I think he'll get decent playing time this season eventually; I just don't know if it will take a little while, or if it will happen right away.
Oof. Forgot that was the late game. I'll have to "see" him in the next day's box scores.

But even if it's in a limited role, I just want to see the guy play to see what he looks like. Have a hunch he's going to end up being quite good.

I'm highly curious too. There's an opening here and he's looked like a guy Rivers, who is arguably the most desperate QB in the NFL, might trust.

I'm highly curious too. There's an opening here and he's looked like a guy Rivers, who is arguably the most desperate QB in the NFL, might trust.
I may be nuts, and I'm not further biased because I followed through with my hunch and have him as my QB2 in a 2 QB league, but I think rumors of Rivers' demise may be greatly exaggerated.

The guy is a competitor and has pride out the wazoo, but on to the more tangible aspects: his team is going to be playing from behind in vast majority of games, new OC who has produced some prolific passing seasons, and his weapons may be quite underrated. Seems like a lot of potential pass-catching playmakers on the roster, imo (Brown, Floyd, Gates, Green, Mathews, Woodhead). Played like garbage last year and still threw 26 tds - I think that's his floor this year.

All the reports that he lost his fastball, and him transitioning to short quick reads this season have me slightly concerned, but when push comes to shove and they are down a couple td's, they aren't going to be able to avoid letting him loose with his gunslinger mentality. I think a fantasy rebound is on the horizon for Phil.

In terms of his value, I've been trying to buy...

Gresham for Green - rejected

Toon for Green (x2) - rejected, rejected

Patton for Green (x4) - rejected, rejected, rejected, accepted

Users who are viewing this thread