What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I just had surgery to stop my snoring (1 Viewer)

kutta

Footballguy
About three hours ago I had Injection Snoreplasty done. The link shows the procedure. It's supposed to be really good with stopping snoring. My buddy had it done 10 years ago and he said it worked great.

The main gist is that they give you a shot in your soft pallet and it dissolves pretty much your entire soft pallet. Since most snoring is caused by your soft pallet vibrating, removing it usually helps stop snoring.

My ordeal started with the doctor spraying some numbing agent in down my throat. He then injected my pallet with some chemical crap. It hurt like a mo fo while he was doing it. The pain was pretty rough for about five minutes, then it started to subside. It's about three hours later and there is really not much pain anymore.

But my uvula is HUGE!. All the liquefied flesh from my soft pallet drains into my uvula where it remains until it get absorbed by my body. So it feels like I have a big loogie permanently stuck in the back of my mouth. It's very strange.

Insurance doesn't cover the procedure, but the cost is only $450. I need to have a check up in six weeks to see if I need an additional injection. The doc said that most people don't need it. The $450 covers both treatments if needed.

When it's all said and done, I will supposedly be able to breathe much better and my snoring should stop. I'll update this thread with the progress there.

Fire away with any questions. I have nothing else to do all night...

But my uvula is HUGE!. All the liquefied flesh from my soft pallet drains into my uvula where it remains until it get absorbed by my body. So it feels like I have a big loogie permanently stuck in the back of my mouth. It's very strange.
I get the same thing when I drink too much Rolling Rock

Same here when I OD on any alcohol. Can't even speak the next day sometimes because my uvula is clogging up my windpipe. Once I coughed and it came up onto my tongue. I almost bit it.

Same here when I OD on any alcohol. Can't even speak the next day sometimes because my uvula is clogging up my windpipe. Once I coughed and it came up onto my tongue. I almost bit it.
that's a big vulva!

that's a big vulva!
I had no idea it could get so big. Normally it's pea sized in there. Then I get drunk, pass out, snore all night, and wake up and it's three inches long. I have to eat a ton of ice cream and keep my mouth full of ice all morning to get the swelling to go down to a manageable level.I have to do something about my snoring too. Last week I woke myself up snoring, and unfortunately I had sleep paralysis at the same time so I couldn't roll over to clear my airway. Every breath I took closed everything up and I had that suffocation sensation and couldn't do anything about it because my brain couldn't tell my body to move or my lungs to breathe. Four or five minutes of that and I was going crazy.

that's a big vulva!
I had no idea it could get so big. Normally it's pea sized in there. Then I get drunk, pass out, snore all night, and wake up and it's three inches long. I have to eat a ton of ice cream and keep my mouth full of ice all morning to get the swelling to go down to a manageable level.I have to do something about my snoring too. Last week I woke myself up snoring, and unfortunately I had sleep paralysis at the same time so I couldn't roll over to clear my airway. Every breath I took closed everything up and I had that suffocation sensation and couldn't do anything about it because my brain couldn't tell my body to move or my lungs to breathe. Four or five minutes of that and I was going crazy.
wtf??You should try this surgery. Sounds like you could use it.

wtf??You should try this surgery. Sounds like you could use it.
I don't know if the palate is the cause. I could probably stand to have it checked out though.Sleep apnea + sleep paralysis is the suck, lemme tell ya.

My uvula has grown at least another 50% since I last posted.

I have to swallow to keep it behind my tongue. If I talk, it pops out and lands on my tongue and makes we want to barf.

My uvula has grown at least another 50% since I last posted.I have to swallow to keep it behind my tongue. If I talk, it pops out and lands on my tongue and makes we want to barf.
It's the worst feeling evah

My uvula has grown at least another 50% since I last posted.I have to swallow to keep it behind my tongue. If I talk, it pops out and lands on my tongue and makes we want to barf.
:lmao: WTF? :lmao:
It's gotten even bigger. It feels like I have a big grape or something in the back of my throat. Sleeping is going to be tough tonight.Luckily, it doesn't hurt anymore. It's just a really strange feeling.

Sleep wasn't horrible but it was tough to finally fall asleep. The hardest thing is brushing my teeth because when I spit my uvula comes flying forward and it hurts and makes me want to barf.

I'm hoping I can drag this out all weekend and make the wife feel sorry for me for the next couple days.

This seems like an extreme measure.
It's really strange. It doesn't really hurt, so it's not like I'm suffering. It's just a really weird feeling in the back of my throat.If it totally stops my snoring I'd say it's worth it. If it cuts it in half, I'd say it's not worth it.Due to my enlarged uvula, it will be a few days before we know the real results.

I have a large black and grey line on the roof of my mouth. I think this is where the needle went in to inject the chemicals. It looks way worse than if feels.

My uvula is still huge, but it's getting easier to deal with. I'm hoping I wake up in the AM and it is smaller. Once it gets off the back of my tongue, I think it will be easy to deal with.

This seems like an extreme measure.
It's really strange. It doesn't really hurt, so it's not like I'm suffering. It's just a really weird feeling in the back of my throat.If it totally stops my snoring I'd say it's worth it. If it cuts it in half, I'd say it's not worth it.Due to my enlarged uvula, it will be a few days before we know the real results.
I've had this exact thing happen to be before. It's like a huge sac of fluid hanging down my throat. I cut mine with a small pair of scissors and it let out some of the fluid out.

I have a large black and grey line on the roof of my mouth. I think this is where the needle went in to inject the chemicals. It looks way worse than if feels.My uvula is still huge, but it's getting easier to deal with. I'm hoping I wake up in the AM and it is smaller. Once it gets off the back of my tongue, I think it will be easy to deal with.
This sounds like a mistake.

Think I'll stick with my CPAP
I think I will try everything before going the CPAP route. Just seeing guys check those through security at airports is enough to make me run.Losing weight helped a lot. Sleep on side or stomach, problem solved. But if my neck is propped up wrong on a pillow while sleeping on my back, it could be The Howling.....

Why not just have your uvula removed? Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty

UPPP for short.

here is the surgery in video form! GL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this whole surgery thing didn't do the trick. I've moved on to CPAP. Used it for the first time last night and it worked great.

so the surgery didn't help at all? refund? did you keep your receipt?!

Well this whole surgery thing didn't do the trick. I've moved on to CPAP. Used it for the first time last night and it worked great.
Please run us through what happened after the surgery.
He injected the roof of my mouth with some stuff that dissolves my soft palate - it hurt like a mofo. It made my uvula swell up to a crazy size - I had a big blob in the back of my throat. It took a week or so for the uvula to go back down in size, but it was still bigger than before. After a few months of my uvula being enlarged, I went back in and he snipped my uvula pretty much all the way off. But I am still snoring. It did help reduce the level of snoring some, but it's still pretty loud. He said sometimes people need two cracks at it, but it is such a pain in the butt that I decided to pass and try a CPAP.

I am 6'1" and weigh 215 and am in pretty decent shape.

He injected the roof of my mouth with some stuff that dissolves my soft palate - it hurt like a mofo. It made my uvula swell up to a crazy size - I had a big blob in the back of my throat. It took a week or so for the uvula to go back down in size, but it was still bigger than before. After a few months of my uvula being enlarged, I went back in and he snipped my uvula pretty much all the way off. But I am still snoring.
:own3d:

Good for you. I despise snorers and I think anyone who doesnt get the problem fixed deserves to die alone

He injected the roof of my mouth with some stuff that dissolves my soft palate - it hurt like a mofo. It made my uvula swell up to a crazy size - I had a big blob in the back of my throat. It took a week or so for the uvula to go back down in size, but it was still bigger than before. After a few months of my uvula being enlarged, I went back in and he snipped my uvula pretty much all the way off. But I am still snoring. It did help reduce the level of snoring some, but it's still pretty loud. He said sometimes people need two cracks at it, but it is such a pain in the butt that I decided to pass and try a CPAP.

If you're not really really muscular you could stand to lose at least 25lbs. That might help some.

He injected the roof of my mouth with some stuff that dissolves my soft palate - it hurt like a mofo. It made my uvula swell up to a crazy size - I had a big blob in the back of my throat. It took a week or so for the uvula to go back down in size, but it was still bigger than before. After a few months of my uvula being enlarged, I went back in and he snipped my uvula pretty much all the way off. But I am still snoring. It did help reduce the level of snoring some, but it's still pretty loud. He said sometimes people need two cracks at it, but it is such a pain in the butt that I decided to pass and try a CPAP.I am 6'1" and weigh 215 and am in pretty decent shape.
If you're not really really muscular you could stand to lose at least 25lbs. That might help some.
The BMI is nonsense. Im one inch shorter and weigh the same and I dont look overwight. Im not overly muscular either. Some peoples body type can handle this weight

I had UPPP. The shot my soft palate and uvula off with a laser beam.

Can't imagine having to swallow a slowly dissolving soft palate. That's like cannibalism.

I'm not going

The BMI is nonsense. Im one inch shorter and weigh the same and I dont look overwight. Im not overly muscular either. Some peoples body type can handle this weight
I'm not talking about bmi (which I agree is nonsense when it come to the muscular). Take a look at some bodyfat % charts and honestly assess where you think you are. If you're > 18% or so, you're carrying a decent amount of extra fat.

I'm not going

He injected the roof of my mouth with some stuff that dissolves my soft palate - it hurt like a mofo. It made my uvula swell up to a crazy size - I had a big blob in the back of my throat. It took a week or so for the uvula to go back down in size, but it was still bigger than before. After a few months of my uvula being enlarged, I went back in and he snipped my uvula pretty much all the way off. But I am still snoring. It did help reduce the level of snoring some, but it's still pretty loud. He said sometimes people need two cracks at it, but it is such a pain in the butt that I decided to pass and try a CPAP.I am 6'1" and weigh 215 and am in pretty decent shape.
I'm not talking about bmi (which I agree is nonsense when it come to the muscular). Take a look at some bodyfat % charts and honestly assess where you think you are. If you're > 18% or so, you're carrying a decent amount of extra fat.
I have big shoulders and a big butt for a man

Slightly "overweight" people actually live a little longer

I'm not going

I have big shoulders and a big butt for a man

Slightly "overweight" people actually live a little longer
If you can play center, please come try out for the Ravens. Their current center has none of those attributes.

Users who are viewing this thread