What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who led baseball in HRs the most seasons? (1 Viewer)

Ryan99

Footballguy
Does anyone know of a way to look up stats like this? Baseball-reference allows looking up player seasons by raw numbers (>35 HR for instance) but not by yearly rank (top 10 in HR for instance). Does anyone know of a site where you can do searches like this?

I'm also interested in season adjusted stats where a player's stats are compared to league averages from that season. For instance, for HR you'd calculate a league average and standard deviation for HR/Plate Appearance and then compute how many SDs a player is above or below the average.

I don't, but I know the answer is Babe Ruth. Looking at his baseball-reference page, he led the league 12 times. Other guys I would suspect are high on the list - Ralph Kiner 7, Mike Schmidt 8, Gavvy Cravath 6

Does anyone know of a way to look up stats like this? Baseball-reference allows looking up player seasons by raw numbers (>35 HR for instance) but not by yearly rank (top 10 in HR for instance). Does anyone know of a site where you can do searches like this?I'm also interested in season adjusted stats where a player's stats are compared to league averages from that season. For instance, for HR you'd calculate a league average and standard deviation for HR/Plate Appearance and then compute how many SDs a player is above or below the average.
There used to be a full baseball seasons database someone that was free. I will see if I can find it again and whether it has been updated. It would be easy to do with that.Edit: Here is the db through 2011 - http://www.seanlahman.com/baseball-archive/statistics/

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, thanks for the work guys. I will definitely check out that database.This came up because I was watching the Always Sunny Christmas episode from season 6(?) and Mac flips out on a guy and goes off about Mike Schmidt and Von Hayes. I'm a Philly guy so I thought the Von Hayes reference was great and went to baseball-reference to look up Schmidt's and Hayes' stats. I noticed how much black ink Schmidt had in the HR column and figured the 8 time HR leader would probably rank second all time. Aaron only had it 4 times.

Baseball reference is an awesome tool. Tons of leaders boards of all types, including the topic here, who led the league most often in a articulate category.

Baseball reference is an awesome tool. Tons of leaders boards of all types, including the topic here, who led the league most often in a articulate category.
I couldn't find such a tool on baseball-reference. Can you tell me where to go specifically?

Users who are viewing this thread