What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Robert Griffin III - RGIII RG3 (1 Viewer)

No way he runs as much. I imagine he'll still be mobile, but he needs to learn to get OB and/or slide. There was a run in the Seahawks game where he was running a little gimpy and could have ran OB adn still got the 1st, but cut it back inside and took a pretty good hit instead for not much additional gain.

Robert Griffin III had reconstructive knee surgery this morning to repair his LCL and ACL. The surgery was successful, according to Dr. James Andrews
Has a doctor ever come out and said "I'm sorry to report, but the surgery was unsuccessful. Better luck next time."

ESPN talked with Dr. Michael Kaplan. He is an advisor to ESPN on such matters and worked with Dr. James Andrews. Kaplan said that NO ATHLETE is ever "the same" after a reconstructive knee surgery. He noted that ADP is the exception. But weren't the warning signs there with RGIII coming out of college? Already had 1 reconstruct while at Baylor and he DOES NOT have the build to sustain the rigors of the NFL season. I love RGIII's ethic and ability, but he's a track star that happens to be a good QB. Take his wheels away from him I think he still has the ability to be a good QB in the NFL, but you won't get those rushing numbers like you expected when drafting him. I think his value has decreased a bit.

I expect a totally different running style. When he runs it will be to the sidelines to get out of bounds or slide if he is in the middle of the field. I don`t think we will see much of him cutting back sharply full speed against the grain and into heavy traffic like he has in the past. If he continues the the same running style he will get the same results and have a short and sweet career.

'Dr. Octopus said:
Robert Griffin III had reconstructive knee surgery this morning to repair his LCL and ACL. The surgery was successful, according to Dr. James Andrews
Has a doctor ever come out and said "I'm sorry to report, but the surgery was unsuccessful. Better luck next time."
Sure. It doesn't happen often, especially given privacy restrictions and the usual state of NFL injury discussion in the media. And no one will use the term "unsuccessful." But you'll sometimes hear a player, agent, coach or team medical representative say they encountered unexpected factors during a procedure or the rehab may take longer than expected, etc.

'Warpig said:
ESPN talked with Dr. Michael Kaplan. He is an advisor to ESPN on such matters and worked with Dr. James Andrews. Kaplan said that NO ATHLETE is ever "the same" after a reconstructive knee surgery. He noted that ADP is the exception.
That shouldn't be surprising. Any knee surgery that requires a graft will result in a knee that's not the same. The graft won't have the same blood supply, is unlikely to generate the same nerve connections, likely will stretch and become more loose over time, etc.ADP is no exception to that. His knee isn't the same either.But 95-99% of ADP, like many elite athletes, is pretty damn good. ADP is an exception because of the shockingly good condition of his knee joint at the time of surgery, genetics, his already beyond elite ability, an inspired rehab program, his well above-average drive to recover and, frankly, some measure of luck.

'Warpig said:
ESPN talked with Dr. Michael Kaplan. He is an advisor to ESPN on such matters and worked with Dr. James Andrews. Kaplan said that NO ATHLETE is ever "the same" after a reconstructive knee surgery. He noted that ADP is the exception.

But weren't the warning signs there with RGIII coming out of college? Already had 1 reconstruct while at Baylor and he DOES NOT have the build to sustain the rigors of the NFL season. I love RGIII's ethic and ability, but he's a track star that happens to be a good QB. Take his wheels away from him I think he still has the ability to be a good QB in the NFL, but you won't get those rushing numbers like you expected when drafting him. I think his value has decreased a bit.
:lmao:

Lol at everybody coming around to seeing what I've been saying since May and was roundly criticized for.
You correctly predicted a random event from happening. Now post the other 99 times you made a prediction and were incorrect. Also post your favorite lottery numbers, on the off chance that they hit so you can say you knew it would happen again.

ADP is an exception because of the shockingly good condition of his knee joint at the time of surgery, genetics, his already beyond elite ability, an inspired rehab program, his well above-average drive to recover and, frankly, some measure of luck.
If you were to speculate, what percentage of ADP's fast recovery would you say was due to his unique circumstances (pristine knee, genetics, etc.) vs. general improvements in medicine that we could expect RG3 to benefit from as well (i.e. better surgery/rehab techniques)? I'm wondering because it seems like a lot of NFL players have recovered "ahead of schedule" in the last few years.

When you cut back inside, usually it's for an additional handful of yards, maybe say 3-5 for the proverbial dive forward. RGIII's value as a "running QB" comes from the fact that he avoids hits and sacks in the pocket, his mobility makes him a more effective passer, and as for running he routinely gets good gains of 5-10 yards even on broken plays, and he can turn the corner and take it to the house on occasion. The point is, if the surgery is successful but he slides more or runs out of bounds more, I don't think he loses all that much. Maybe a 1-2 extra sets of yards diving forward. The key of course is going to be the surgery and his recovery. Still, he'd have to be pretty limited to see his value drop significantly as the threat of his running may be more important than the actual running itself.

Anyone else feel that an injury/surgery like this may be better at this early of a stage vs 3-4 years down the road? A hard running QB is an inherent risk of a shorter career anyway. Maybe this speeds up his development into a more pro style pocket passer and allows the team to format his play and their offense to maximize longevity instead of trying to ride the pistol offense until this kind of thing happened.

Asked later in the interview about the chances of a player returning to his previous elite form after such a surgery, Andrews stayed clear of specifics about Griffin.“Well, you know, we talk about ACL reconstructive procedures [as] one of our best operations we do in sports as far as the overall results,” he said. “Ninety-five percent is just a figure that comes to head right now, success rate. That’s across the board. Now, if you take a NFL running back that’s got to depend on his knee function probably at the highest level, there’s about 55 percent of them that are still playing football after what we would call a successful ACL surgery, about 55 percent still playing actively in the NFL after two years.“So is that a failure of the ACL surgery? No, but that’s a failure of that running back losing a step and losing ability to cut on a dime and is not able to play. So it’s not as rosy as what it might look depending on the high level sport the further you go up the ladder, to try to play football, for example, in the professional league after an ACL operation.”Obviously, RG3 is not a running back. But much of his game is built on his ability to move, and throw on the move.So while medical advances tend to make us think that such rehabs are commonplace, and special cases like Peterson help convince they’re possible, the reality is that Griffin coming back to look exactly as he looked before is far from a given.
my link

Lol at everybody coming around to seeing what I've been saying since May and was roundly criticized for.
You correctly predicted a random event from happening. Now post the other 99 times you made a prediction and were incorrect. Also post your favorite lottery numbers, on the off chance that they hit so you can say you knew it would happen again.
Yea, OK. Don't worry, it'll happen again and again until he's out of the league in <6 years. Go ahead, write that down.

ADP is an exception because of the shockingly good condition of his knee joint at the time of surgery, genetics, his already beyond elite ability, an inspired rehab program, his well above-average drive to recover and, frankly, some measure of luck.
If you were to speculate, what percentage of ADP's fast recovery would you say was due to his unique circumstances (pristine knee, genetics, etc.) vs. general improvements in medicine that we could expect RG3 to benefit from as well (i.e. better surgery/rehab techniques)? I'm wondering because it seems like a lot of NFL players have recovered "ahead of schedule" in the last few years.
Tough to know, but arthroscopic reconstruction and accelerated rehab has been the standard for a few seasons now. I'd guess that Peterson's success has more to do with Peterson than surgical technique and rehab methods.

All this talk about changing his style and sliding etc is all well and good, but didnt he hurt himself on a non contact, non running play? I know he was hobbling first and I know when they went 14-0 up Cousings should have come in to act as a game manager and play field position against a team with a gimpy kicker, but really it wasnt a hit that finished him off was it?Maybe he has degenerative knee problems?

All this talk about changing his style and sliding etc is all well and good, but didnt he hurt himself on a non contact, non running play? I know he was hobbling first and I know when they went 14-0 up Cousings should have come in to act as a game manager and play field position against a team with a gimpy kicker, but really it wasnt a hit that finished him off was it?Maybe he has degenerative knee problems?
Looked more like just a perfect storm. Poor field conditions, unusual body position, already weak knee.

Every time RG3 has been injured this season was on a non-running play. The Ngata hit was heat of the moment and down/distance situation called for him to try and get the extra yard(s). Kind of flukey IMO. The Skins had already started taking out the plays that got RG3 hit a lot. These were the triple option type plays where he had a pitch man. He'd get crushed on those. I think they can keep the read option play as it's relatively safe IMO. Sounds like I can get RG3 cheaper heading into next year's drafts.

I'm pretty sure the skins were going to reduce his runs next yr and try to develop him more as a passer; everyone hopefully learned a lesson here, even RGIII.

Finishes as QB1 from the time he returns to end of the season
I would be silly to expect those running numbers to match this years when he comes back.
They don't have to, he's not just a running QB.I think a lot of people are not giving him enough credit for what he worked with last season. How many other QB's in the NFL could lose their bona fide top two options in the passing game for most of the season and and put up the fantasy stats he did? How many QB's in the NFL could have Santana Moss as arguably your best WR for most of the season and put up those stats? Think about what he just did with a rookie RB, leaky OL and Santana Moss as his best WR for a chunk of the year. He might personally take a step back next year but a large part of that might be made up with an improved supporting cast.

I would be silly to expect those running numbers to match this years when he comes back.
They don't have to, he's not just a running QB.I think a lot of people are not giving him enough credit for what he worked with last season. How many other QB's in the NFL could lose their bona fide top two options in the passing game for most of the season and and put up the fantasy stats he did? How many QB's in the NFL could have Santana Moss as arguably your best WR for most of the season and put up those stats? Think about what he just did with a rookie RB, leaky OL and Santana Moss as his best WR for a chunk of the year. He might personally take a step back next year but a large part of that might be made up with an improved supporting cast.
I copied my reply from the other RG thread below. I think it is optimistic to expect him to put up QB1 numbers in this offense next year without a heavy dose of QB runs. I predict he will have negative value from where he'll be drafted in redrafts next year if he's slated to start week 1.
'FF Ninja said:
'The Comedian said:
Putting aside for the moment the physical obstacles Griffin is going to face, I think something that is being over-looked is the changes that are going to have to be made to the system he plays in. I don't think you can have Griffin run the ball 120 times, like he did this year. He'll fall apart. He's going to have to transition into a more traditional offense, or, at least, a higher % of traditional offensive plays. What % of RGIII's productivity/special-ness do you lose by trying to protect his long-term viability?
This is really the only worthwhile discussion. People talking about Earnest Graham and Knowshon Moreno not coming back as strong after injury... really? Did they look special before? It doesn't matter, but Moreno looks about as good as he ever did, but people confuse his mediocrity with decreased performance due to raised expectations of a 1st round pick. I think Griffin will see a negligible decrease in athletic ability over the long run (probably hindered a bit early next year), but like The Comedian says, they can't run him 120 times and expect him to stay healthy. Even legitimate running backs get hurt. QBs already have the biggest target on their back, so running just adds to their injury chances.What do we know? He was throwing for 8.1 ypa with a 65% comp %, but on just 26 passes a game. The RBs ran the ball 377 times, the QBs 121 times, WRs 18 times. There were 442 passes. This team is very close to 50/50 on the play calling. If Griffin stays in more then I suspect defenses will respond by sending more guys into coverage and his comp % will go down which will drop his ypa. But by running less, they'll probably get more plays off. I count 958 offensive plays from the totals above. He will still run SOME, though, so it won't be a drastic increase. I don't expect them to go away from the RB rushing at all next year, so I think a realistic, yet somewhat optimistic split would be 525 passes and 60 rushes (if you extrapolate 14.75 games to 16 games he was on a pace for 427 and 128).525 x 7.8 = 4095 yds passing60 x 7 = 420 yds rushingTDs can be pretty volatile, so it's hard to predict that but his total this year was pretty good (20 PTD). Being the eternal skeptic, I'd say he hits double digit INTs next year with 500+ attempts and more coverage, but I'm sure people will disagree. Probably the same people who thought Freeman would be able to repeat his TD/INT ratio. Either way, I'd temper expectation for fantasy totals next year. I suspect if he's starting week 1 that his ADP will be several rounds higher than I'd be willing to pay for a guy who will struggle to hit 4000 yards passing and likely be under 500 rushing. I actually think he and Russell Wilson will be a toss up next year. I think Griffin will perform as a low end QB1 on a PPG basis at best unless he runs the ball close to 100 times or the defense collapses and he has to throw the ball over 550 times.Note: I just noticed FBG stats and yahoo stats differ. FBG had 118 rushes while yahoo has 120. Passing attempts differ by 1.

Dynasty I see Rodgers, Brees, Brady beating him. My guess is he will float into the top 5 from time to time. You have to consider Manning, Luck, Ryan, Stafford, Newton to compete in the same space. If I thought he would keep the same rushing stats I would say he is a consistent top 5. This will probably be his best year thought.

Well this new news might have an effect.A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that there is "much greater concern" about Robert Griffin III's reconstructed right knee than Griffin or "anyone connected to the Redskins" has let on.Griffin will end up rehabbing both knees because surgeons were forced to use a patellar tendon graft from his left knee in order to fix his right. He tore the ACL, LCL, and partially tore his meniscus in the right knee. Per PFT's source, the "biggest concern" is with Griffin's knee cartilage. Due to two knee constructions and ultimately three surgeries since 2009 at Baylor, there is concern "about how much (cartilage) remains and how long it will last" in Griffin's knee(s). A potential end result could be a bone-on-bone condition, which can lead to microfracture surgery and/or shorten a football player's career.RotoworldSource: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Great time to buy, I remember after Brady got knee surgery the news got worse for a month after because they couldn't get the infection under control. A year ago Peyton manning was all but done till that grainy YouTube of him showed up.It's always darkest before dawn

Well this new news might have an effect.A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that there is "much greater concern" about Robert Griffin III's reconstructed right knee than Griffin or "anyone connected to the Redskins" has let on.Griffin will end up rehabbing both knees because surgeons were forced to use a patellar tendon graft from his left knee in order to fix his right. He tore the ACL, LCL, and partially tore his meniscus in the right knee. Per PFT's source, the "biggest concern" is with Griffin's knee cartilage. Due to two knee constructions and ultimately three surgeries since 2009 at Baylor, there is concern "about how much (cartilage) remains and how long it will last" in Griffin's knee(s). A potential end result could be a bone-on-bone condition, which can lead to microfracture surgery and/or shorten a football player's career.RotoworldSource: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
I pray for a speedy recovery, he brought so much excitement to NFL and Wash and it would be sad to see it come to an end in less than a season

I don't want to stick my neck out there like I did with Peyton Manning and his neck and sometimes these reports always sound worse than they really are, but if true that is a damn shame. That report sure sounded bad to me.

Dr. Andrews: RG3's recovery has been 'superhuman' By Chris WesselingWashington Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan recently revealed to NFL Network's Kimberly Jones that Robert Griffin III is ahead of schedule in his recovery from reconstructive knee surgery, but cautioned that it's a lengthy process usually filled with ups and downs.Griffin's orthopedic surgeon, however, has no interest in tamping down expectations. Dr. James Andrews recently described Griffin as "superhuman" in his ability and motivation to recover from surgery to repair the anterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his right knee.Andrews went on to compare Griffin to Adrian Peterson and Bo Jackson as exceptional natural athletes and genetic freaks to whom conventional recovery timetables don't apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, in an ultra competitive league with 14 teams and 18 rounds where would it be safe to take him. I can keep him in the 5th round. Wondering at the present if the 5th is too early? Any thoughts? Thanks!

RGIII reportedly surprising Redskins with his progress

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

When Robert Griffin III was asked last month by NFL.com's Albert Breer if he'd be healthy for the start of training camp, the Washington Redskins quarterback confidently replied, "Without a doubt."

So far, the signs are good. His long speed is back, he's cutting again and Griffin even walks without any sign of a limp when the brace is removed from his surgically repaired knee. Still, Chris Russell of ESPN Radio in Washington tweeted Saturday that the Redskins have yet to set a time or date to clear their starting passer, according to a source "very involved on the medical side."

The source did acknowledge that whatever test the team's medical staff puts before Griffin, "he completely smashes it." According to the source, the Redskins are "astonished" by his progress.

In late June, backup quarterback Kirk Cousins told NFL Network's "NFL AM" that RGIII "looked awesome" at the tail end of spring practices.

"I'm not just saying that," Cousins said. "Obviously, he is a bit of a freak in terms of his athleticism, but he's healed very quickly."

Below a waterfall of glowing reports, it's hard to imagine Griffin not under center come Week 1. By the sound of it, his return to field might be old news by then.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

Robert Griffin III's status for Redskins camp unclear

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

Robert Griffin III said this offseason that, "without a doubt," he'd be ready for Day 1 of training camp. But it's unclear if the Washington Redskins will let their quarterback hit the field right away.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Thursday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" that no decision has been made about Griffin starting training camp on the Redskins' active roster. He could start camp on the active/PUP list, just like Adrian Peterson did last year. The Minnesota Vikings kept Peterson on the PUP list for the first two weeks of camp in an effort to apply extra caution to his recovery.

Peterson also didn't play in the 2012 preseason, a plan that could make sense for Griffin. RGIII could be "ready" for camp, but the Redskins will do everything possible to make sure he's ready for the regular season. That could mean Griffin will watch plenty of early camp practices from the sideline.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

On deadspin today there was an article about what is ahead for RGIII. If true seems he likes to take Favre style pic's and send them around to waitresses. :shrug:

On deadspin today there was an article about what is ahead for RGIII. If true seems he likes to take Favre style pic's and send them around to waitresses. :shrug:
And how will that affect his play on the field? Meanwhile your favorite team's RB seems to like to get arrested and drive drunk. I'd be more concerned with that if I were you.

And how will that affect his play on the field? Meanwhile your favorite team's RB seems to like to get arrested and drive drunk. I'd be more concerned with that if I were you.
Who knows, maybe his wife is cool with him cheating, even on her wedding day.

Link

Who knows, maybe his wife is cool with him cheating, even on her wedding day.

Link
:sadbanana: :shock:

Rotoworld:

Robert Griffin III (knee) has been medically cleared for the start of training camp.
He did it alright. Griffin is only six months removed from reconstructive knee surgery, but managed to avoid opening camp on active/PUP. It's just shy of an Adrian Peterson-esque recovery, and RG3 remains on track to start Week 1. Expect Griffin's Average Draft Position in fantasy football leagues to begin rising steadily. Griffin confirmed on Twitter that the Redskins will manage his reps initially, easing him into full-squad practicing. The team's primary concern is having him ready for Opening Day.

Source: Robert Griffin III on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread