What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2013 St. Louis Rams Thread *** (1 Viewer)

heidbrink

Footballguy
Didn't see one yet so let's get the chatter started.

Safe to say the Rams have hit bottom and are moving in the right direction. Snead and Fish did a great job last offseason so I'm looking forward to 2013. Please kick in on any of the topics below as you so desire.

Front Office Moves - Watching the coaching carousel this year I'm really glad that we finally have some positive momentum and competent leadership in place. OC Schotty will be staying after flirting with Jax HC opening. Love him or not at least it gives Bradford some continuity. We've hired Rob Ryan as DC. The Rams went all of last year without a DC at all after Gregg Williams was banned for life. I think that Rob Ryan and Fisher have a relationship going back to Buddy Ryan. Someone can clarify there if you have more detail on their background. There is the question of Ryan's 3-4 defense because clearly the Rams personnel is one built for the 4-3 and I haven't seen where they are planning to change that. We will see I guess. My sense is though that he is a guy who Fisher likes as much as what he brings as far as a defensive plan. Oh, and I heard the guy was fat. Frank Bush is expected to take a position as linebacker coach. Bush was a LB coach for the titans and worked with Fish in Houston. So again, a guy he knows. So, not much really is changing coachwise. Other than that I did read where there was some shakeup of a number of long-time scouts.

Free Agency - Of course there is the question on Jackson, Amendola and Gibson. Safety is an issue but releasing Dahl should provide addition by subtraction. Mikel could be gone too so we are looking to beef up safety in a big way through free agency and the draft (shuffling players). There are a number of free agents at positions of need that the rams will be looking at incuding Safety, OL, WR and TE.

The Draft - We have two first round picks this year at 16, and 22 thanks to the RG3 trade. Rams will be looking to build on the offense but it wouldn't shock me in the least if we picked defense with that first pick..A lot of mocks have a safety to us there or at 1b which makes a lot of sense but I can honestly see Fisher grabbing DT there though if the right guy falls.

It would be fantastic if we could come out of the draft with starters at #1 WR, OL, Safety, OLB.

Let's get the discussion going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the Oline in order, sign Amendola, draft a TE in round 2 or 3.A good Oline will let Bradford make those pinpoint accurate throws. He is good enough to make decent receivers look better than they are... if he has time to throw. Having continuity in the offensive system will help as well.Amendola and Givens is a nice start, hopefully Quick becomes relevant. I'm not thrilled with our current TEs.I like our chances of improving this year, but Seattle and SF are tough. Going to be interesting.

Get the Oline in order, sign Amendola, draft a TE in round 2 or 3.A good Oline will let Bradford make those pinpoint accurate throws. He is good enough to make decent receivers look better than they are... if he has time to throw. Having continuity in the offensive system will help as well.Amendola and Givens is a nice start, hopefully Quick becomes relevant. I'm not thrilled with our current TEs.I like our chances of improving this year, but Seattle and SF are tough. Going to be interesting.
Only one loss against the NFCW. I think Jeff Fisher is doing a great job there with what he has. I look forward to see what STL does this off-season.

Rams Free Agents

Kellen Clemens - Quarterback - 2013: Free Agent

Steven Jackson - Running Back - 2013: $7 million (Voidable Year)

Mike McNeill - Tight End - 2013: Exclusive Rights Free Agent

Danny Amendola - Wide Receiver - 2013: Free Agent

Brandon Gibson - Wide Receiver - 2013: Free Agent

Steve Smith - Wide Receiver - 2013: Free Agent

Barry Richardson - Tackle - 2013: Free Agent

Rob Turner - Tackle - 2013: Free Agent

Chris Williams - Guard - 2013: Free Agent

Tim Barnes - Center - 2013: Exclusive Rights Free Agent

Jermelle Cudjo - Defensive Lineman - 2013: Restricted Free Agent

William Hayes - Defensive Lineman - 2013: Free Agent

Trevor Laws - Defensive Lineman - 2013: Free Agent

Justin Cole - Linebacker - 2013: Restricted Free Agent

Mario Haggan - Linebacker - 2013: Free Agent

Rocky McIntosh - Linebacker - 2013: Free Agent

Craig Dahl - Defensive Back - 2013: Free Agent

Bradley Fletcher - Defensive Back - 2013: Free Agent

Darian Stewart - Defensive Back - 2013: Restricted Free Agent

'drummer said:
'Lott said:
I like our chances of improving this year, but Seattle and SF are tough. Going to be interesting.
Only one loss against the NFCW. I think Jeff Fisher is doing a great job there with what he has. I look forward to see what STL does this off-season.
I agree, Fisher made the Rams respectable again. But the one NFCW loss could just as easily been 4... a tie and an OT win vs San Fran, a loss and a 6 point win vs Seattle. The Rams earned their NFCW record, don't get me wrong... but variance can make these close games go either way.That being said, the Rams can be a force if they have a good draft and free agency, and some young guys develop/keep developing.

Just a placeholder for the Rams' draft trades in 2012:trade #2get 6, 39, 2013 1st, 2014 1sttrade #6get 14, 45trade #45get 50, 150= trade #2get 14, 39, 50, 150, 2013 1st, 2014 1st14 = M.Brockers DT39 = Janoris Jenkins CB50 = I. Pead RB150 = Rokevious Watkins OL 2013 pick 22 (from Redskins)2014 Redskins 1st

Kiper regrades Rams' 2012 draft
So far, I think you have to conclude they did. The Rams got eight players in the 2012 draft who have already been contributors, and for a team that really improved. Janoris Jenkins played up to his talent level, and has Pro Bowls in his future. Once healthy, Michael Brockers delivered impact on what will be a very good defensive line. Chris Givens can be a good wide receiver and showed big-play potential, and Brian Quick has a chance to develop. Trumaine Johnson found his way into the starting lineup at corner, and both Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead will see more of the ball next season. And don't forget Greg Zuerlein, who made 23 of 31 field goals, but six of those misses came from beyond 50 yards, where he was a very good 7 of 13 overall. Yes, they gave up a No. 2 pick, but they have a first-rounder in each of the next two drafts, and cashed in with a ton of value from this one. This roster could be one of the league's most talented by 2014. They could have done a lot worse.New grade: B+
Rams 2012 draft:14 = M.Brockers DT33 = M. Quick WR39 = Janoris Jenkins CB50 = I. Pead RB65 = Trumaine Johnson CB96 = Chris Givens WR150 = Rokevious Watkins OL 171 = G. Zuerlein K209 = Aaron Brown LB252 = D. Richardson RB

I am far from being a Rams fan but have been interested in the franchise since they drafted Bradford.My question is if Ram fans think S Jax will be here for another year or if they're going to pave the road for D Richardson. I know they drafted Pead much much earlier, but did they strike gold with D Rich? Just wondering what y'all think.

Rob Ryan won't be hired by the Rams after allLet's see if someone else hires him within the next 5 minutes......
The whole explanation that he's now being released because he's a 3-4 guy and they want a 4-3 guy doesn't even pass the laugh test. Would be consideration #1 to determine how scheme fits with philosophy, not something to consider after bringing him on board, having him sit in team meetings, etc.Something else happened. I couldn't speculate on what. But, it certainly seems like a noncredible explanation that it's a schematic difference that resulted in this about-face.

It would be fantastic if we could come out of the draft with starters at #1 WR, OL, Safety, OLB.
I think the expectation that we're going to get a #1 WR out of the draft is pretty unreasonable. Now saying that's something we want before training camp is another matter.

I am far from being a Rams fan but have been interested in the franchise since they drafted Bradford.My question is if Ram fans think S Jax will be here for another year or if they're going to pave the road for D Richardson. I know they drafted Pead much much earlier, but did they strike gold with D Rich? Just wondering what y'all think.
Richardson is a very nice complementary RB. He is not going to carry the load, he is not Jamaal Charles or Chris Johnson. Great 7th round pick, but a committee or spot start guy only, IMO.

Richardson is a very nice complementary RB. He is not going to carry the load, he is not Jamaal Charles or Chris Johnson. Great 7th round pick, but a committee or spot start guy only, IMO.
Richardson could be like a Kevin Faulk or even a lesser Darren Sproles: a guy you bring out to compliment your top guy and become a pass-catching threat...another guy defenses have to "look out" for.

Big issue this offseason for the Rams that no one is talking about is that the team is butted up to the cap. You can thank Bradford's bloated rookie contract for a lot of it, but Wayne Hunter and Quintin Mikell are also pricey. Granted, S-Jax could bail out and Hunter and/or Mikell could be told to take a hike or get their contracst restructured, but it's going to be hard to dream of Bradford tossing passes to Maclin (who would be a dream for Mizzou fans), Jennings or Bowe with their cap situation the way it is.

Kiper regrades Rams' 2012 draft

So far, I think you have to conclude they did. The Rams got eight players in the 2012 draft who have already been contributors, and for a team that really improved. Janoris Jenkins played up to his talent level, and has Pro Bowls in his future. Once healthy, Michael Brockers delivered impact on what will be a very good defensive line. Chris Givens can be a good wide receiver and showed big-play potential, and Brian Quick has a chance to develop. Trumaine Johnson found his way into the starting lineup at corner, and both Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead will see more of the ball next season. And don't forget Greg Zuerlein, who made 23 of 31 field goals, but six of those misses came from beyond 50 yards, where he was a very good 7 of 13 overall. Yes, they gave up a No. 2 pick, but they have a first-rounder in each of the next two drafts, and cashed in with a ton of value from this one. This roster could be one of the league's most talented by 2014. They could have done a lot worse.

New grade: B+
Rams 2012 draft:14 = M.Brockers DT

33 = M. Quick WR

39 = Janoris Jenkins CB

50 = I. Pead RB

65 = Trumaine Johnson CB

96 = Chris Givens WR

150 = Rokevious Watkins OL

171 = G. Zuerlein K

209 = Aaron Brown LB

252 = D. Richardson RB
:thumbup: B+ is light.

'Whoosah said:
Jackson has been, and still is, the face of the franchise. And, he is still the best running back on the team. Richardson as our second pick in the seventh was a very pleasant surprise and made up for a somewhat disappointing rookie year out of Pead. There is of course hope both players progress. Neither guy looks like every down caliber but rather will be able contributors. I think I speak for most fans when I say in an ideal world Jackson retires a superbowl champ wearing horns. The organization is treating him with great dignity by letting him test the waters. Jackson, like every other competitor, wants to win a championship before he hangs up his cleats. Green Bay or Pittsburgh would seem to be among logical fits to that end. The question is what is Jackson worth on the open market. His current number is 7 million. I doubt he gets offered near that figure and am hopeful that a reworked multiyear deal can be negotiated to keep Jackson a Ram and reduce the cap hit this year. We will see. It's clearly one of the big issues that needs to be resolved before fitting the rest of the offseason puzzle into place. Perhaps he is on the bandwagon with us. The next couple years should be the best opportunity for him to win a title as a Ram in the last decade.

I don't follow the Rams overly close but do own a couple of their players in my dynasty draft and therefore would like to add optimism to B. Quick on offense.There are a couple of impact WR's in the NFL right now that came from smaller schools and are making their mark in the NFL. The two guys that come to mind are Victor Cruz and Cecil Shorts. Both of those guys were invisible in their rookie seasons. They both were phenomenal talents at smaller schools and took time to develop.Quick had only 11 catches on the year, but he did have 156 yards on those 11 catches and 2 td's. He had 3 catches for 30 plus yards.He is/was raw coming out of school, but at least there is some reason as to his quiet rookie year. He was very raw at route running. I don't see why an off season and a year of experience won't help him as it did for Cruz and Shorts.

'Sake-Bombers said:
I think the expectation that we're going to get a #1 WR out of the draft is pretty unreasonable. Now saying that's something we want before training camp is another matter.
Why is that so unreasonable? Do you not think Allen, Patterson, or others this year are WR 1 material or that we can't afford the pick due to more pressing needs? I don't think we really have the money to swing a big deal for a free agent. We are going to have problem enough trying to figure out how to keep DA.

'Lott said:
No reason he can't carry the load if either of those 2 can. He's better built for it than both of them. If he can add another 10 lbs, thats even better.

For a team seemingly on the rise, it really surprises me that there are only 22 posts in this thread and none of them have involved the surprising dismissal of Rob Ryan. What's up with that?

For a team seemingly on the rise, it really surprises me that there are only 22 posts in this thread and none of them have involved the surprising dismissal of Rob Ryan. What's up with that?
As a Rams homer, I'm giddy. That guy isn't Buddy Ryan. He's had what, one, top ten D as a DC? He would be an improvement over no DC from last year, but I'd rather have Greg Williams back than him. The Ryan boys have big mouths but can't back it up. All talk, no walk....

'Brady Marino said:
Big issue this offseason for the Rams that no one is talking about is that the team is butted up to the cap. You can thank Bradford's bloated rookie contract for a lot of it, but Wayne Hunter and Quintin Mikell are also pricey. Granted, S-Jax could bail out and Hunter and/or Mikell could be told to take a hike or get their contracst restructured, but it's going to be hard to dream of Bradford tossing passes to Maclin (who would be a dream for Mizzou fans), Jennings or Bowe with their cap situation the way it is.
This is really key. There is not a lot of room this year. Tough decisions are coming up. At the same time, the Rams aren't completely in a hole, they just need to make good "guns or butter" choices.

Shark Alert :shark:Lets not forget Terrance Ganaway in the RB discussion. He was drafted last year by the Jets in the sixth round and yanked off waivers by the Rams last fall. Some think this former RGIII teammate is a guy to watch. If things fall a certain way he could be in a position to show us something.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/joe-strauss/strauss-not-getting-ryan-is-good-news-for-rams/article_19e10aaf-3338-53b7-a126-012f68be1de4.html[QUOTE='JOE STRAUSS jstrauss@post-dispatch.com]Whew.That was a close one, maybe too close.The Rams and a potential monumental mistake parted ways Tuesday morning when head coach Jeff Fisher and freshly minted defensive coordinator Rob Ryan agreed that their match was made somewhere other than heaven.For all Fisher has accomplished in a year in Earth City, he came frighteningly close to taking a gamble that offered much more risk than reward. The Rams have built positive momentum via a series of solid player personnel decisions, a more credible offensive scheme and a more collegial culture.A franchise that represented five splayed fingers for much of the past decade became a fist in the latter stages of its encouraging 7-8-1 season. It was a team that wanted more at schedule’s end after playing division elites San Francisco and Seattle to a virtual draw during its final seven weeks.Either out of loyalty or a belief that Ryan offered as much substance as style, Fisher was willing to bring the demonstrative, outspoken, exiled Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator into the building to lead a veteran staff committed to a 4-3 defensive scheme.The parties had reached agreement in principal on a contract last week. Ryan attended a Blues game Sunday and toasted his image on the matrix. Rob’s brother, Jim, appeared on local sports talk radio to discuss his sibling’s hire.Thankfully, reality intervened sometime Monday.The 3-4 defense is Ryan’s professional thumbprint. He ran it with the Cleveland Browns and with the Cowboys. In neither place did the scheme enjoy great success. Discarding it eventually became anathema.Only once in his nine seasons as a coordinator did a Ryan defense finish among the league’s top 10 – strangely enough, while he ran a 4-3 defense for the Oakland Raiders.Ryan surely would have been good TV. He works a sideline like a man fleeing a fire – disheveled, screaming, hair flowing in all directions. He would have given good microphone to fatuous broadcast outlets that once thought the hire of Steve Spagnuolo as head coach to be divine inspiration. Win, lose or tie, Sundays would never be boring.Then again, Ryan himself may also have become the inferno, sucking the oxygen out of the room.It is interesting to note even the franchise’s most ardent backers couched their support of Ryan’s hire by quickly mentioning that Fisher would exercise adult supervision. Ryan might call the plays but the scheme would remain property of the head coach. Somehow that didn’t fit the profile of a coordinator who claimed after his Jan. 8 firing, “I’ll be out of work for like five minutes.”Today marks 22 days.It’s been a long time since one could say there is more to like than dislike about the Rams. Remarkably, the Rams have reached that stage after Fisher’s inaugural season as their head coach. Continuity now seems more appropriate than combustion.Their current defensive scheme served the Rams extremely well. It tied for the league lead with 52 sacks and led the NFL outright in plays for negative yardage. Outside linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar became a free agent find. The Rams permitted only 32 pass plays of 20-plus yards. (Only the Pittsburgh Steelers allowed fewer.) First-round rush monsters Chris Long and Robert Quinn framed the four-man front. Next season’s personnel appear written in pen, not pencil as the Rams only project needs at free safety and strongside linebacker.In other words, it ain’t broke.Fisher’s term in St. Louis has been seamless except for his search for a defensive boss. He named former Tennessee confidante Gregg Williams shortly before the league indicted him as the ringmaster of a bounty system in New Orleans. When Commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Williams for the 2012 season, Fisher audibled by naming Williams’ son, Blake, to the position. Raw people skills contributed to the younger Williams’ ouster immediately after the season. The elder Williams did not receive a second invitation.Maybe Ryan ultimately could have adapted to a new scheme and won over a tight-knit, holdover staff.Maybe his tweaks would have improved an already solid defense by enhancing its unpredictability.Then again, Ryan’s lengthy résumé remains heavier on bluster than gravitas.Incensed that his 8-8 team missed the playoffs, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones didn’t think a crush of serious injuries explained away 400 points allowed.Indeed, Ryan would have arrived having never coached a playoff defense. At some point, “They gave me crappy players” doesn’t spiff up a résumé.The Rams were prepared to announce Ryan’s hiring at an afternoon news conference until the new man contacted Fisher with misgivings.Though they took the unusual step of announcing Ryan’s un-hire via social media, the Rams probably won’t publicly comment about Tuesday’s quickie divorce. The franchise instead announced via prepared statement the hire of former Houston Texans defensive coordinator Frank Bush as linebackers coach. One can only assume Bush’s hire was independent of the pas de deux with Ryan.Fisher meanwhile initiated a second search for a coordinator – either a veteran presence (read: **** Jauron) or a younger, malleable 30-something talent. Whoever is Fisher’s next target, he will pose fewer potential snares than the first.Credit Ryan for his honesty. Unofficially already hired, he met with his position coaches Monday at Rams Park, drawing up schemes, receiving feedback and continuing to read the room well after the meeting adjourned. Perhaps Ryan spoke the 4-3 language, but one must wonder whether it sounded like a warmed-over 3-4. The Rams excelled on defense this season because players’ responsibilities handsomely fit their skill set. (Remember, this team sent no player to the Pro Bowl.) Tweaking those responsibilities could set in motion an unwelcome domino effect that exposes weakness rather than augmenting strength.It is instructive Ryan remained in town four days after agreeing in principal to a multi-year contract but phoned Fisher mere hours after Monday’s meeting.Ultimately, Ryan reached the same conclusion many others formed long before Tuesday: He may indeed be a sagacious defensive mind that helps transform a team into a Super Bowl contender, even a participant. But for Ryan, that defense shouldn’t be the Rams’. Not now.
[/QUOTE]

Shark Alert :shark:Lets not forget Terrance Ganaway in the RB discussion. He was drafted last year by the Jets in the sixth round and yanked off waivers by the Rams last fall. Some think this former RGIII teammate is a guy to watch. If things fall a certain way he could be in a position to show us something.
Stay away from Ganaway. He's a worse version of Anthony Dixon.

A lot of talk about WR here. Are Rams fans of the mindset that Amendola, Givens and Quick are not the answer?
Givens showed well, but he needs to progress. He's a starter, but we'll see if he can be an excellent starter.Quick is a project. Maybe he takes the next step, maybe not. Just because a few other small school WRs took that step does not mean that Quick will. Picking him at the top of the 2nd was a reach. Most of these project WRs do not work out. Amendola looked great when he was healthy, much better than he looked in 2010, IMO. But he is a free agent and has had injury issues... I would like him back, but the Rams may try to play it safe financially and not commit enough to him, allowing another team to snag him. I think he likely re-signs, but it is not a given.

No reason he can't carry the load if either of those 2 can. He's better built for it than both of them. If he can add another 10 lbs, thats even better.
Of course there is a reason, he is not as good as those two. Richardson has great acceleration and good speed (not nearly CJ or Charles level speed), but average wiggle and a distinct lack of power.RBs of his size are rarely bell cows. He is small. There are exceptions, but you cannot look at every small RB and say "well, this other guy is small and did it!" Those other guys are the exception, not the rule. I like the guy, but he is a complementary piece.

Of course there is a reason, he is not as good as those two. Richardson has great acceleration and good speed (not nearly CJ or Charles level speed), but average wiggle and a distinct lack of power.RBs of his size are rarely bell cows. He is small. There are exceptions, but you cannot look at every small RB and say "well, this other guy is small and did it!" Those other guys are the exception, not the rule. I like the guy, but he is a complementary piece.
Richardson is a nice chance of pace, but no where near an everydown back. He did well because his style is exactly the opposite of SJ39. Defenders back off SJ so they don't get crushed by his bruising power, but when they do that to Richardson, he makes a move and gains a couple extra yards making his YPC look impressive. If he was the only RB, he wouldn't get the extra space that SJ gives him with his power.

Rams Hire Tim Walton

It looks like coach Jeff Fishers search for a new defensive coordinator has reached the finish line. It was nearly seven weeks in the making, but all signs point to Detroit Lions assistant coach Tim Walton getting the job, according to multiple league sources. Walton was offered the job Tuesday, accepted it, and the deal could be finalized by the end of the week.

Walton was among three candidates interviewed by Fisher over the past week and a half. The others were **** Jauron, the former defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns, and Mike Singletary, who has the title of special assistant to the head coach/linebackers with the Minnesota Vikings.

Walton, 41, is considered an up-and-comer in the NFL coaching ranks. He has a good reputation in Detroit, even with the Lions overall struggles last season, and in particular is known for developing defensive backs. During his 14 seasons in college coaching at Miami, Louisiana State, and Memphis, he coached nine players that were drafted in the first or second round.

All but one of those nine (Devin Hester) are or were cornerbacks or safeties in the NFL, a group that includes safeties Idrees Bashir, LaRon Landry, Brandon Meriweather, Kenny Phillips and Antrel Rolle, and cornerbacks Kelly Jennings and Corey Webster.

Walton has two years of defensive coordinator experience, albeit at the college level, with the Hurricanes in 2008 and Memphis in 2007.

At Detroit, the Lions finished tied for third in the NFL in takeaways in 2011, with 34. That total fell way off in 2012 to 17, but the Lions did improve to 14th in passing defense or one spot ahead of the Rams.

Fisher tried to hire Walton last season as assistant defensive coordinator/passing game, but he ended up staying with the Lions with a new title of defensive backs/third-down package coach. Walton worked with Brandon Fisher, Jeff Fishers son and the Rams assistant secondary coach, in Detroit in 2011.

There is also familiarity with the Rams defensive scheme because Lions head coach Jim Schwartz worked with Fisher for 10 seasons in Tennessee including eight as Titans defensive coordinator. So its a lot of the same stuff.

Although Fisher didnt necessarily have to hit a total re-set button after Rob Ryan dropped out two weeks ago, it delayed the hiring process. Although the other known candidates are all veteran NFL coaches in Jauron, Ryan and Singletary, Fisher all along has been intrigued by the possibility of hiring a young coordinator who could grow with the program Fisher is establishing in St. Louis.

The Rams went without a defensive coordinator last season because of what turned out to be Gregg Williams season-long suspension by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for his role in the New Orleans Bountygate pay-for-performance scandal.

The Rams used a committee approach to run the defense, with Williams son Blake Williams calling most of the plays on game day. Blake Williams contract was not renewed, and the Rams informed Goodell earlier this offseason that they were not bringing Gregg Williams back.
Thoughts? He is the least "known" among the candidates interviewed. Perhaps Lions fans (or anyone who has an opinon on the guy) can chime in. Not a sexy pick but I'm ok with it. He's a young guy on board with the defensive plan and fish likes him. The baggage that the other candidates have was perhaps a bit overwhelming.

I like it. Fisher is a defensive guy, so he can mentor the guy. I like some new blood rather than an old retread...

Well so much for the knucklehead. It really would have been another nice feather in Fisher's cap if he could have turned this guy around. But oh well. I wonder if any teams in the CFL are interested in a receiver better than Calvin Johnson?Rams Cut Titus Young

The Rams have officially announced the hiring of defensive coordinator Tim Walton. But the tenure of wide receiver Titus Young is over before it started.League sources have confirmed earlier reports out of Detroit that Young will be cut by the Rams — just nine days after being claimed on waivers by St. Louis from the Lions.Young had been at Rams Park just a couple of days this week — meeting team coaches and officials, taking a physical, etc. Apparently, that was enough for the Rams to decide it wasn’t going to work.In the case of the Rams, better to find out now than the fourth quarter of a tie game in December. Financially, it was a low-risk proposition to begin with because Young was due a base salary of only $555,000, plus a roster bonus of $185,000 due at the start of training camp.The view at Rams Park was that Young would have to earn his way into the lineup, and they would have the entire offseason — the team’s official offseason program starts April 15 — to observe and evaluate Young and see how he fit in.Unlike some players, the problem with Young wasn’t off the field in Detroit, it was once he showed up for work. And given what took place this past season in Detroit, the Rams decision to claim him was both an act of supreme optimism that things would work out and a sign of desperation to upgrade their wide receiver corps.Among Young’s indiscretions last season in Detroit, he:• Sucker-punched teammate Louis Delmas during volunteer workouts.• Had a meltdown in a Nov. 18 game versus Green Bay, purposely lining up in the wrong spot in an effort to get the ball thrown to him. This spilled over into a sideline argument between Lions wide receiver coach Shawn Jefferson and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, the former Rams coach.• Asked to be released via his Twitter account. He tweeted on Jan. 25: “If y’all going to cut me, let me go. I’m tired of the threats.”Rob Parker, a Detroit columnist and television anchor, reported Friday morning that Young would be cut by the Rams and that he might not play again.The Rams declined comment Friday morning; so did Young’s agent, Kevin Poston. However, the topic certainly will be addressed at what was a regularly-scheduled Rams news conference this afternoon.As for Walton, the former Detroit Lions assistant, was offered and accepted the coordinator’s job on Tuesday. But it took a couple of days to finalize everything, specifically his contract. Walton moved into the picture after Rob Ryan unexpectedly backed out of the job and subsequently ended up as New Orleans’ defensive coordinator.Turns out Young lasted only slightly longer in St. Louis than Ryan.

Some very nice words about Tim Walton from his former boss, Jim Schwartz...link

INDIANAPOLIS • Tim Walton has been a defensive coordinator for about a week, but Detroit coach Jim Schwartz thinks it’s only a matter of time before Walton becomes an NFL head coach.“In a couple years, he’s gonna be standing up on this podium also,” Schwartz said Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine. “Tim’s sharp, and charismatic. He’s been a little bit of an under-the-radar type of guy, but not for long.”Walton worked four years on Schwartz’s Lions staff as defensive backs coach, getting the added title of third-down passing game coach last season. A year ago, Schwartz said the Lions hired Marcus Robertson as assistant secondary coach with the idea that they wouldn’t be able to keep Walton for long.“We sort of created a spot for (Robertson) because I wanted to be prepared in case Tim got an opportunity like this,” Schwartz said.Since Walton was under contract with Detroit, the Lions could’ve blocked Jeff Fisher’s attempt to hire him as coordinator. But Walton left for St. Louis with Schwartz’s blessing.“We’ve all been (at a time) where advancement is important to our careers,” Schwartz said. “To give him the opportunity to do that is something he deserved. He’s a smart guy. He’ll be missed.”

Dominoes are starting to fall...

Jackson as expected has voided the last year of his contract, no players have been tagged, and they have just released Wayne Hunter. It's going to be an interesting next week.

My link

Rams release Hunter, free up cap space

With free agency right around the corner, the Rams have started to clear the decks financially. The team released offensive tackle Wayne Hunter on Wednesday, freeing up $4 million of much-needed salary cap space.

Hunter, 30, was acquired in the Aug. 28 trade that sent former No. 2 overall pick Jason Smith to the New York Jets. Smith was released by the Jets on Feb. 19, so the deal was hardly a trade for the ages. Hunter appeared in 14 games for the Rams last season, missing the Green Bay and New England contests because of back issues.

Following Rodger Saffold’s knee injury in Game 2 against Washington, Hunter started the next four contests at left tackle — against Chicago, Seattle, Arizona and Miami. He had some rough moments against the Dolphins but didn’t play badly in the three other games.

Hunter, at best, would’ve been a third tackle for the Rams in 2013. And $4 million is a lot of money for a backup or spot starter, which is the money Hunter would have been due in 2013 in the form of a $3.95 million base salary and a $50,000 offseason workout bonus.

So Hunter’s release was expected for some time. It was just a matter of when it would happen.

In another personnel decision, the Rams have decided not to place a restricted free agent tender on reserve linebacker Justin Cole. As a result, Cole becomes a free agent. He was primarily a special teams performer with the Rams over the past 1½ seasons, finishing with two tackles from scrimmage and seven special teams stops in 16 games in 2012.

Hunter was ok, but not worth $4 mil. Wonder if Quentin Mikell is worried to pick up his phone now.
He should be...
I imagine he has and they are trying to renegotiate the contract. He is around a 9 mill cap hit but if they cut him he still costs like 3. Dahl is likely a gonner so were down two safeties from the jump. Good for the Rams though that theres a number good free agents available and prospects in the draft at safety this season.

Hunter was ok, but not worth $4 mil. Wonder if Quentin Mikell is worried to pick up his phone now.
He should be...
I imagine he has and they are trying to renegotiate the contract. He is around a 9 mill cap hit but if they cut him he still costs like 3. Dahl is likely a gonner so were down two safeties from the jump. Good for the Rams though that theres a number good free agents available and prospects in the draft at safety this season.
Plus Dahl leaving is not exactly a "loss", IMO. Never been a fan of his.

Looks like Gibson is a gonner...

roto

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins contacted free agent WR Brandon Gibson on Saturday, and talks are said to be "serious."The real juice to the story is that "some believe that Gibson could earn a contract comparable to the one given to Brian Hartline" last week -- five years and $31 million with $12.5 million guaranteed. While it's unclear how talks with Gibson would affect a Mike Wallace pursuit, we'd guess that he would likely be a fallback option. Miami is also said to be interested in free agent Wes Welker. Mar 10 - 11:51 AM
Jim Thomas
Rams, WR Gibson will part ways

By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com

Free-agent wide receiver Brandon Gibson is looking for a fresh start and won’t return to the Rams next season, league sources told the Post-Dispatch on Saturday.

The Rams were interested in re-signing Gibson, but only to a point as they attempt the annual task of upgrading their wide receiver corps. In a commitment to young wideouts Chris Givens, Brian Quick and Austin Pettis, the Rams wanted Gibson back in a role and for money commensurate to a No. 3 or No. 4 wideout.

But there has been healthy interest in Gibson in the free agent market and plenty of phone calls from other teams as the NFL’s so-called “legal tampering period’’ begin Saturday (or late Friday night outside of the Eastern time zone).

Indications are that Gibson will have a chance for a No. 2 role (or at worst a No. 3) with a contract offer expected soon. The free-agency period begins Tuesday afternoon.

Acquired by the Rams as part of the Will Witherspoon trade with Philadelphia on Oct. 20, 2009, Gibson has caught 174 passes for 2,090 yards (12.0 yards per catch) with nine touchdowns in 54 games for the Rams. Over Gibson’s 3½ seasons in St. Louis, only Danny Amendola caught more passes (187) and no receiver has had more yards or TDs.

Once you get past the “glitter” in this year’s free-agent wide receiver crop, namely Mike Wallace (Pittsburgh), Wes Welker (New England) and Greg Jennings (Green Bay), the market falls off noticeably. With that in mind, the interest Gibson has generated isn’t really surprising.

The lean market also could work in Amendola’s favor. Brian Hartline provided a benchmark of sorts Friday when he re-signed with Miami for a reported $6.1 million a year over five years, saying he gave the Dolphins a home-team discount at that.

That’s the kind of deal Amendola seeks, according to those familiar with the negotiations. That’s more than the Rams are willing to invest, given Amendola’s recent injury history. So he appears headed to the market once free agency starts Tuesday. And if the market materializes as expected by Amendola’s agents, he will be headed to a new team sooner rather than later.

Similarly, the market for defensive end William Hayes is expected to be much higher than the Rams are willing to pay for someone who is a No. 3 end in St. Louis. So he also could be out after recording seven sacks and playing strong run defense last year.

As for running back Steven Jackson, there weren’t a lot of phone calls inquiring about him Saturday according to those close to Jackson. But Atlanta still is regarded as the frontrunner for his services, and the Falcons aren’t the only team interested.

During a barrage of media interviews Thursday and Friday in New York, Jackson sounded very much like someone who has made his mind up to leave the Rams.

“I understand the business side of it,” Jackson told Sirius XM NFL Radio. “I still have a great relationship with the (Rams’) organization, and one day I’ll be going back there.”

Just not as a player. Jackson said it wasn’t about the money, although the Rams were prepared to offer him about $3.5 million to return — or about half the $7 million he was due in 2013 before voiding his contract. More bothersome to Jackson is what shaped up as a reduced role as the Rams commit more to youngsters Isaiah Pead and Daryl Richardson — and perhaps a new back — in the running game.

The Rams’ front office stayed up late Friday and was up early Saturday, making calls and monitoring the first day of the 3½-day legal tampering period. Phone calls with outside free agents are allowed, and so is negotiating. But the NFL sent out memos to all teams saying no contracts can be signed — and teams can’t even agree to terms — until after 3 p.m. (St. Louis time) Tuesday.

With William Moore re-signing with Atlanta, another possible option was taken off the free-agent market for the Rams at safety. But Houston’s Grover Quin remains a possibility, and Detroit’s Louis Delmas could be even more attractive to the Rams now that former Lions secondary coach Tim Walton is the Rams’ defensive coordinator.

At offensive tackle, the St. Louis-based CAA sports agency could hold the key because agents Tom Condon and Ben Dogra represent Sam Baker (Atlanta), Jake Long (Miami), Andre Smith (Cincinnati) and Sebastian Vollmer (New England). The only other “name” tackles represented by other agents are Minnesota’s Phil Loadholt and New Orleans’ Jermon Bushrod.

At outside linebacker, sources said the Rams have at least some interest in Oakland’s Phillip Wheeler and Baltimore’s Dannell Ellerbe. Jacksonville’s Daryl Smith could be another possibility, but he turns 31 on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the Rams have made one-year tender offers to retain a pair of exclusive rights free agents: center/guard Tim Barnes (University of Missouri) and tight end Mike McNeill (Kirkwood High). Exclusive rights free agents are players with fewer than three years NFL experience. Once they are tendered, their only options are to play with that club or not play at all.

"The real juice to the story is that "some believe that Gibson could earn a contract comparable to the one given to Brian Hartline" last week -- five years and $31 million with $12.5 million guaranteed.
:lmao: Gibson's barely worth a roster spot, much less that kind of money.

"The real juice to the story is that "some believe that Gibson could earn a contract comparable to the one given to Brian Hartline" last week -- five years and $31 million with $12.5 million guaranteed.
:lmao: Gibson's barely worth a roster spot, much less that kind of money.
I wouldn't claim that he's barely worth a roster spot, as he's a solid possession receiver. However, he should be a team's WR3, 4 or 5 (as the Rams correctly saw it). Six million a year is starter money, though, and the Rams should want no part of that. Even 4 or 5 million a year would be too rich. The WR market is very strange.Rams will probably be left with Quick, Givens and Pettis, plus whatever they pick up in free agency and the draft. I'm ready to see Tavon Austin in blue and gold.

Users who are viewing this thread