What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (2 Viewers)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
So far, the Bills have put a new man in charge at the top (Russ Brandon), hired a new coach and an all new coaching staff, and have started to make a few personnel decisions.The first one was yesterday when they elected not to tender Donald Jones despite reports earlier in the day that they would. I have no problem with this as Jones wasn't all that special and had some injury issues. Today there has been talk that they have approached Fitzpatrick about re-structuring his deal. My guess is that if he doesn't, he'll be cut. My gut instinct is that he will and he'll either have to win his job in camp, or be the starter until a rookie is ready.The biggest two guys who are FA are obviously Levitre and Byrd. Byrd will likely be franchised unless the Bills really like where talks are. Levitre is going to make a lot of money, but the Bills would be wise to pay it. He's a top 3 OG and he can play any position on the line of need be (although his time filling in at center was not so great). The QB and LB positions clearly need to be addressed. From Buddy Nix's comments, it seems clear the Bills will be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. I'm not sold on any of the guys in this draft, so I think it is a poor decision to lock into this gameplan, so I hope that there could be some misdirection here. Although I could be ok with some of the QB options in the 2nd round.The free agents at the LB position are not good at all. They have to be looking draft here. I would be plenty happy with bringing back Morrison though as I thought he got a raw deal and would be an upgrade over everyone but Barnett. From what he's posted on Twitter, he'd love a second chance in Buffalo too. Sheppard can be cut for all I care. Pretty sure he was one of the guys the veterans alluded to when saying some guys don't know how to work hard and play hard all game. WR is obviously another area of need. There are some decent free agents out there, but I'm not sure they're looking to spend much here. My guess is that they wait to see how the market may play out before making a final decision on David Nelson. My guess is they let him go until later into FA and then see where his knee is at. He probably won't get much interest but could still be an ok 3rd or 4th WR in Buffalo if his knee checks out and he signs for the minimum. From the comments coming from the brass, it sounds like they don't actually see Stevie as a #1 WR and are looking for a true #1. I think they're actually dead wrong on Stevie and a good QB would reveal that.It also remains to be seen what they're going to do with Mark Anderson. He's making a lot of money for a guy that had 2 knee surgeries during the season and very little production.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the first thing we have to do is lock up Levitre. He is huge for our line. If we can lock him up we would have a very solid line from LT to C (and not shabby to the right). I don't think Byrd is going anywhere. The Bills would be foolish to not at least franchise him. And if we can manage to get a deal done without overpaying him then all the better.You're absolutely right about the bad crop of free agent LB's. An even bigger reason why I feel like our first pick should be a LB unless they really feel good about one of the QB's. They always say, if there's a franchise QB then you take him no matter what else you need. But if we can get just as good value with QB then we can in the first then I say wait. Either way, I think our first two picks should be QB and LB. Hopefully a good WR will still be available in the early 3rd. Certianly had some misses with our 2012 draft but had a couple great picks. I still think Gilmore is going to be a stud. I love his aggressiveness. Just needs to make more plays. Glenn was a steal in the second and will hopefully continue to be a solid LT for a while. I think worst case scenario he's a Pro Bowl RT. TJ Graham was a mistake. I know you can do a lot of "what ifs" in a draft but think of how different things would be if the Bills traded up and selected Russell Wilson instead... Anyways. Nigel Bradham was another great find for the Bills. He could very well be our best LB. Came on strong at the end of the year and hopefully he continues his progression. I really liked the selection of Ron Brooks. The guy is talented but just got stuck behind some very, very good DB's at LSU. I thought he played very well in the beginning and should come back better next year.

Hoping Pettine plucks a few Jets guys he's worked with. Done with Wilson/Searcy combo, Searcy is over-rated would be nice to pair Byrd (if tagged) with another stud.I would love another TE, Chandler suffered a late knee injury and is vastly over-rated here as well. Is it so hard for Buffalo to find an athletic TE that has some ethnicity to him. Finely or Cook would be nice.I don't think we'll hit on any of the top WR's but WR's are very deep even the second wave of WR free agents would be a number 2 and 3 upgrade with Jones and hopefully Nelson gone.Want best available player at 8 and then trade up for a QB in the 25-32 range to make sure they get whoever they want.

Barnett and George Wilson cut.

Link

Chances are good Nix is going after a FA linebacker. Who's available though? Last I recall, the pickings were slim.

Not sure I totally understand these moves. I guess $$$. Barnett wasn't great but he was still their best LB and the FA market at the LB position is terrible. Barnett is a top 10 if not top 5 option in the LB FA pool. And since Sheppard really needs to be replaced too and Brandham is still a pretty big question mark, they now basically should be looking for 3-5 LBs in FA & the draft. That's a whole lot.And I guess Wilson was probably overpaid, but I didn't really see him being one of the larger problems on defense. Just seems to create more holes that need to be filled. The only other thing I could see is if they're also going for a major culture change. Barnett and Wilson were leaders on the team and veteran voices. I could see them cutting some money while also making it easier to make their voices the dominant voices in the locker room right now. The defense really didn't play with much passion and there were a lot of rumors of guys being lazy last year and not always working hard. So maybe part of that blame got laid at the feet of the veteran leaders on the team.

'GroveDiesel said:
The only other thing I could see is if they're also going for a major culture change. Barnett and Wilson were leaders on the team and veteran voices. I could see them cutting some money while also making it easier to make their voices the dominant voices in the locker room right now. The defense really didn't play with much passion and there were a lot of rumors of guys being lazy last year and not always working hard. So maybe part of that blame got laid at the feet of the veteran leaders on the team.
I'm thinking it's this. One step back to take two forward, etc.Though I'm thinking they'll be targeting a LB in the first round, then praying Nassib falls to them in the second.

'GroveDiesel said:
The only other thing I could see is if they're also going for a major culture change. Barnett and Wilson were leaders on the team and veteran voices. I could see them cutting some money while also making it easier to make their voices the dominant voices in the locker room right now. The defense really didn't play with much passion and there were a lot of rumors of guys being lazy last year and not always working hard. So maybe part of that blame got laid at the feet of the veteran leaders on the team.
I'm thinking it's this. One step back to take two forward, etc.Though I'm thinking they'll be targeting a LB in the first round, then praying Nassib falls to them in the second.
I certainly hope so. There seem to be several outside LBers in the draft with explosive ability. There should still be 1 or 2 QBs worth a look in the 2nd round.

FWIW, the one QB I'd be ok with in the first round is Geno Smith. He doesn't have a great deep ball, but his short to intermediate stuff is great and he has a great football IQ. I think he'd be a great fit with the new offense they'll be bringing in.Oh, and the rumors are the Bills will make a hard push for Bart Scott and either Landry or Leonhard. Scott is washed up IMO so I wouldn't be too thrilled with that signing, but supposedly Pettine wants some guys to come in that know his system and can not only communicate the verbiage to the other players, but help explain the system and get things running smoothly more quickly on the field. I see the logic, I just hope the positives outweigh the negatives of bringing in a guy that's out of gas.

FWIW, the one QB I'd be ok with in the first round is Geno Smith. He doesn't have a great deep ball, but his short to intermediate stuff is great and he has a great football IQ. I think he'd be a great fit with the new offense they'll be bringing in.Oh, and the rumors are the Bills will make a hard push for Bart Scott and either Landry or Leonhard. Scott is washed up IMO so I wouldn't be too thrilled with that signing, but supposedly Pettine wants some guys to come in that know his system and can not only communicate the verbiage to the other players, but help explain the system and get things running smoothly more quickly on the field. I see the logic, I just hope the positives outweigh the negatives of bringing in a guy that's out of gas.
Scott is washed up and an off field headache. NO THANKS.I'd love to see Landry take over Wilson's spot at SS, but he'll cost too much.

Scott is washed up and an off field headache. NO THANKS.I'd love to see Landry take over Wilson's spot at SS, but he'll cost too much.
I really don't want any of these Jets players. They are all gonna be outcasts for a reason. Not good, too old, or too expensive. But sure, we'll take ya? No. Build up in the draft. If you wanna bring a guy or two to simply help with terminology then I'm cool with that. But don't count on them to start or be a leader for you. I'm gonna be pissed if we start collecting up all the Jet garbage.

Bills re-sign Tarvaris Jackson. Marrone told Fitzpatrick and Tarvaris there will be open competition. Hopefully if Fitzy is still there it is with a restructured contract.

Link

I really hope Fitz re-works that deal of his.I really hope Kelsay and his 5M go, They may stand him up. I need him off my team ASAP.Spencer Johnson could save some money and even Mark Anderson-

Bills re-sign Tarvaris Jackson. Marrone told Fitzpatrick and Tarvaris there will be open competition. Hopefully if Fitzy is still there it is with a restructured contract.Link
I'm actually OK with this. Everyone knows this is looking like it might be a horrible QB class. I'm hoping this means if nothing else, we pass on QB in the 1st and just take BPA. If we take a QB in the 3rd or later then it won't prevent the team from taking one next year in what is looking like a very strong QB class. I say let Jackson or Fitz get us through this year. Marrone plans on running the ball like crazy anyways. And then next year we draft the QB of the future (even if we have to trade up because Jackson or Fitz did better than expected).

One positive for the Bills, is that this draft is absolutely loaded with LBers. The best of them are 3-4 OLB, but there are good LBers throughout. They could go LB-QB-LB and come out with 3 starters pretty easily.

One positive for the Bills, is that this draft is absolutely loaded with LBers. The best of them are 3-4 OLB, but there are good LBers throughout. They could go LB-QB-LB and come out with 3 starters pretty easily.
I would like it if we could fit a WR in there as long as the value is right. I'm all about taking the BPA in the first couple rounds so it depends who is available. Maybe LB-WR-QB-LB. I wouldn't care if the Bills passed on QB all together this year. The QB's this year just don't have a Franchise QB feel to them. I don't want to commit to any of them.

I would like it if we could fit a WR in there as long as the value is right. I'm all about taking the BPA in the first couple rounds so it depends who is available. Maybe LB-WR-QB-LB. I wouldn't care if the Bills passed on QB all together this year. The QB's this year just don't have a Franchise QB feel to them. I don't want to commit to any of them.
I don't disagree, but Nix has made it pretty clear that they're drafting a QB relatively high. Even said this was the year to move up to get one if they had to. Hopefully that was just a smokescreen. I do think Barkley would be worth a look in the 2nd though.

If Geno or Barkley are there in the 2nd, I think the Bills have to take a shot at one of them. In fact, if they could do it for a 4th or less, I'd like to see them jump into the bottom of the 1st if Geno is still there somehow. I don't think either is really worthy of a top 10 pick, but they both have the potential to be above average QBs. I think there is enough potential for both of them to be worth a 2nd or a 2nd and 4th. I don't think anyone else is worth it. Nassib in the 3rd maybe. I'm absolutely convinced they need to go OLB/DE in the 1st though. Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan would be great picks IMO.Nmandi is most likely being released by the Eagles. I think he still has the ability to be a good CB. Wouldn't mind throwing $4-5M a year at him if they could get him for that.

The Bills signed Assistant GM Doug Whaley to a contract extension. The plan has been for him to succeed Nix as GM and this extension insures it. Great move as Whaley is highly thought of around the league.

If Geno or Barkley are there in the 2nd, I think the Bills have to take a shot at one of them. In fact, if they could do it for a 4th or less, I'd like to see them jump into the bottom of the 1st if Geno is still there somehow. I don't think either is really worthy of a top 10 pick, but they both have the potential to be above average QBs. I think there is enough potential for both of them to be worth a 2nd or a 2nd and 4th. I don't think anyone else is worth it. Nassib in the 3rd maybe. I'm absolutely convinced they need to go OLB/DE in the 1st though. Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan would be great picks IMO.Nmandi is most likely being released by the Eagles. I think he still has the ability to be a good CB. Wouldn't mind throwing $4-5M a year at him if they could get him for that.
As terrible as a senior season that Barkley had, there's no way he gets past the bottom of the first round. Chris Effing Ponder was a mid-first round pick. Barkley shows too much "promise" as a pro QB. Geno won't make it out of the first 15 picks either. I know it's almost cliche to suggest it, but their most realistic bet is to nab Nassib or a similar talent in the 2nd round.

As terrible as a senior season that Barkley had, there's no way he gets past the bottom of the first round. Chris Effing Ponder was a mid-first round pick. Barkley shows too much "promise" as a pro QB. Geno won't make it out of the first 15 picks either. I know it's almost cliche to suggest it, but their most realistic bet is to nab Nassib or a similar talent in the 2nd round.
You're probably right. One scout at the combine today reportedly said there is no way Barkely gets passed the Cards at 7. I'd rather the Bills punt on QB this year than take Nassib in the 2nd. I think the thing that scares me most about Nassib is that Marrone may not only overrate him to begin with, but would give him more chances than he earns simply because of the connection. So if he can't cut it, you could extend the number of years he hampers the club due to that. Kind of like how Rex Ryan is so loyal to Sanchez that it's killing the whole team.I could almost be talked into Geno Smith in th3 first, but I doubt he makes it to them in the first anyway.

Look for Buffalo to go hard for Ellerbe in FA and Dwayne Bowe if he isn't franchised. Bills have plenty of cap to sign Byrd, Levitre, & McKelvin this offseason.

Confession: I was really hoping the Bills would send their second round pick to SF for Alex Smith.

I'm guessing they didn't because either -

1. KC's offer was better

2. (More likely) Marone and company think they can use either the #8 pick on Geno Smith or can nab a good passer in the second round.

This is the year for getting promising QBs in the second and third rounds. It's just that this team is build to succeed now, not in 2 years when one of those young QBs are ready. Are we really OK with another season of Fitz?

Confession: I was really hoping the Bills would send their second round pick to SF for Alex Smith.

1. KC's offer was better

2. (More likely) Marone and company think they can use either the #8 pick on Geno Smith or can nab a good passer in the second round.

This is the year for getting promising QBs in the second and third rounds. It's just that this team is build to succeed now, not in 2 years when one of those young QBs are ready. Are we really OK with another season of Fitz?
I think the idea that rookie QBs can't perform in their first year is archaic. If/when we draft a QB in the early rounds he should get a chance to win the job right off the bat.

1. KC's offer was better

I think #1 is much more likely- KC's second rounder is obviously better than the Bills', plus they gave up another conditional pick. I don't think the Bills were willing to go there, and I don't blame them.I kind of disagree with this take- I don't think this is necessarily the year for getting promising QBs in the 2nd and 3rd round, and I don't agree that this team is built to succeed now. They haven't won more than 6 games in how many years now, and A. Smith wasn't going to transform them into a perennial playoff team (although he's better than a lot of people give him credit for IMO). I think they're better off keeping the picks, if they find value at QB when they pick this year then grab one, but don't reach- they have other holes to fill as well.

I'd still rather them tank this season and take an elite QB prospect with the #1 next year. Or make some trades to give them ammo to trade up next year. Or both.

Bills are on the clock in the mock draft thread for pick 3.71 if anyone is interested in helping them make the pick.Previous picks were Cordarelle Patterson, WR and Ryan Nassib, QB.

Bills have placed the franchise tag on Jairus Byrd. That leaves Andy Levitre as priority #1. Unfortunately, I think he ends up somewhere else.

Bills have re-signed Bryan Scott and Leodis McKelvin now. McKelvin actually got more money than I thought he deserved, but he did actually play a little better last year. There is no question the guy has elite ability, he just has struggled mightily at tracking the ball in the air. He sticks right to guys, but just doesn't get his hands on the ball when it's there. He did show improvement though last year and was much better than Aaron Williams. If Gilmore can progress, this could work. And he definitely is a major plus in the return game. 4 years $20M with $7.5M guaranteed seems like a bit of an overpayment though.

I'm starting to come around to not paying a ton for Levitre. If the Bills never did make an offer, than that is stupid. But paying top money for guards just doesn't seem like a great return. And while I think Levitre is very good, he's probably more of a technique guy that has managed to be super durable and versatile rather than being an elite physical talent of any type. If it came down to it, Buffalo could draft Chance Warmack and actually upgrade at that position. Chad Rinehart could be an adequate replacement as well at a fraction of the price. I like Levitre, I think he's a very good guard, but I don't think the Bills can move the team forward if they pay Levitre $10M+ a season.

Of course, what they SHOULD do is cut Fitzpatrick and sign Levitre instead and then draft a QB...

The National Football Post is reporting that Jarvis Jones has received full clearance to play and that an orthopedist has said that Jones never had a serious neck issue.

Although I do find the wording a bit curious. It only addresses whether or not he had a serious spinal cord contusion. That wasn't the issue as much as a reported stenosis (narrowing) of the spine. This report doesn't even mention the stenosis. On the positive side, the orthopedist does say that he is not at any more risk for neck injuries than anyone else.

If Jones is truly cleared medically, I hope Buffalo ends up with him. He's the best player in the draft IMO.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-5821.html

So...everyone knows about the whole prankster thing and releasing Fitzpatrick. Moving on from all that.

Bills just signed LB Manny Lawson. Is he any good still? I remember him being damn good a couple years back, but what's happened since then? I haven't heard his name in a while.

So...everyone knows about the whole prankster thing and releasing Fitzpatrick. Moving on from all that.Bills just signed LB Manny Lawson. Is he any good still? I remember him being damn good a couple years back, but what's happened since then? I haven't heard his name in a while.
Has been a situational guy for Cincy. He'll most likely be Buffalo's starting SAM. He'll be a rush linebacker for the most part. He's ok. Decent depth guy. He was listed as the #3 FA OLB by one of the publications (can't remember which one. Rotoworld maybe?)

Chad Rhinehart signed a one year deal with the Chargers. Not sure why the Bills let him get away. Levitre I understand due to the money. Rhinehart I don't get. Unless the Bills really ARE trying to tank the season.

There's a part of me that thinks the Bills might honestly be tanking this season. And I gotta admit, I would be OK with that. In fact, if we could secure the #1 or #2 pick this year I would be ecstatic about it. Getting a player like Bridgewater or even Manziel could change this franchise once and for all. And if I have to suffer through a horrible and difficult season then I would be fine with that. I don't think that makes me a bad Bills fan to want to be the worst team in the league next year. In fact, I think that makes me a good fan. I want what's best for this franchise and getting a stud QB seems to be the only way of doing that recently.

So here's to Tanking for Teddy!!!!

There's a part of me that thinks the Bills might honestly be tanking this season. And I gotta admit, I would be OK with that. In fact, if we could secure the #1 or #2 pick this year I would be ecstatic about it. Getting a player like Bridgewater or even Manziel could change this franchise once and for all. And if I have to suffer through a horrible and difficult season then I would be fine with that. I don't think that makes me a bad Bills fan to want to be the worst team in the league next year. In fact, I think that makes me a good fan. I want what's best for this franchise and getting a stud QB seems to be the only way of doing that recently. So here's to Tanking for Teddy!!!!
100% on board with that.Unfortunately, I think they go QB at #8 and won't take one next year regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread