What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Defiance, SyFy show (1 Viewer)

Mad Cow

Welshers and Dawdlers Beware!
I haven't seen a topic on this. Figured the ffa would be all over it. Premieres tomorrow night.

Thanks for the reminder, again. I wasn't sure if it was a videogame release or a show. Seemed like the only times I saw an ad for it was at the gym and without sound and I'd always forget about it by the time I got around an info source. DVR set.

This is the show that's supposed to be both a show and a video game?

This sounds almost impossible to pull off (especially for SyFy). Hope they prove me wrong.

Not bad. Much more Farscape than BSG. A couple :rolleyes: moments in there, but otherwise not horrible. I'll hang in to see if it gets better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad. I've been playing the game so the main characters were familiar to me. There were alot of hokey moments and a few times I felt like Chris Rock in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back "George Lucas Gonna Sue Somebody!" but overall it was entertaining.

The main guy is likeable. He's like a composite of Indiana Jones and Han Solo.

That said, why is American outsourcing acting? You can't swing a stick in a movie or TV show these days where there isn't a Brit, Australian, or New Zealander playing an American accented character. The majority of the cast of this show is not from the US.

Not bad. I've been playing the game so the main characters were familiar to me. There were alot of hokey moments and a few times I felt like Chris Rock in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back "George Lucas Gonna Sue Somebody!" but overall it was entertaining.

The main guy is likeable. He's like a composite of Indiana Jones and Han Solo.
Thats the best kind of composite, if you wanna keep it pg-13 that is.

I kinda liked it. I was a little worried when I caught a few minutes of some "making of Defiance" special and they were interviewing people involved with the show who acted like they were the first people who have ever made "aliens" by giving them prosthetic noses and foreheads.

It is pretty cool that they based an entire alien race on Will Farrell's "non-movie quality" Chewbacca mask from Stepbrothers.

It bothered me a little that both this show and Hannibal exposed a key villian a little earlier than I feel was needed. Thought the suspense/mystery could have been allowed to build a little longer.

That said, why is American outsourcing acting? You can't swing a stick in a movie or TV show these days where there isn't a Brit, Australian, or New Zealander playing an American accented character. The majority of the cast of this show is not from the US.
Chances are good it wasn't shot in the US either. Are you against Americans playing non-Americans? I'll give you a hint, nobody on that show plays who they really are. It's all pretend, so whoever did the audition best that also would work for a cheap SyFy show got the job.

Just watched the first episode:

The ending felt very much like this is gonna be some sort of human supremacy vs allies kind of deal.

Run It Up said:
Sand said:
Not bad. Much more Farscape than BSG. A couple :rolleyes: moments in there, but otherwise not horrible. I'll hang in to see if it gets better.
I liked Farscape, missed the premier tonight though :cry:
set your DVR for 1am-3am Thursday morning.

mad sweeney said:
Gator Shawn said:
Chances are good it wasn't shot in the US either. Are you against Americans playing non-Americans? I'll give you a hint, nobody on that show plays who they really are. It's all pretend, so whoever did the audition best that also would work for a cheap SyFy show got the job.
Fair point, and I really didn't mean to sound xenophobic in my comments. I just find it surprising how many foreign actors play "American" roles in movies and tv these days, but I guess it's not that much different than the influx of foreign players into the NBA and MLB over the last few decades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Verdict so far?
The white alien chick, wife of the white alien guy who hates graham greene's character, is smokin' hot. That's all I got right now.
Fair enough. Was wondering how people felt about it after three episodes or whatever.
It is just OK so far.
Agreed. Has potential. Whether they use that potential to go upward or drop off a cliff remains to be seen.

Yeah, I agree... just OK.

I could see getting bored with it soon. There is nothing "special" about it so far, that's for sure.

I could see getting bored with it soon. There is nothing "special" about it so far, that's for sure.
Agreed. It kind of feels like a police procedural with aliens. Pretty basic stuff. We'll see what happens going forward.

It feels like a turd to me. I have fallen asleep during the last 2 episodes. I am deleting it from the DVR.

Glad I read the thread. My DVR schedule is heavy enough. No time to waste on mediocre stuff. Sort of like Revolution, which is near the chopping block. Bad, weak writing with cheesy characters and stupid plots, can't bring myself to waste time on shows like that.

Yep. So far the characters are caricatures. Not much originality or personality.

Still waiting for the next Firefly. Not ready to say "next" yet, but it isn't too far away.

Umm, if you like her you may want to watch Spartacus on Showtime. I only saw a couple in a free preview weekend and she had a couple nice scenes including one with Xena that was spectacular. Even though I barely watched any her role was very similar although she was a mistress not the wife.

Verdict so far?
The white alien chick, wife of the white alien guy who hates graham greene's character, is smokin' hot. That's all I got right now.
Fair enough. Was wondering how people felt about it after three episodes or whatever.
It is just OK so far.
Agreed. Has potential. Whether they use that potential to go upward or drop off a cliff remains to be seen.
Seems to be trending up, but it feels slow.

I gave up on it a few weeks ago. Just didn't seem that great. Is it good enough to get back into?
I like it and I definitely think it is getting better. Looks to be continuing that trend. Seems like most Sci-fi shows are a little slow to start because of so much material to introduce, a whole new world if you will. As long as they keep iit going, I think it will be fine and get faster paced.

I gave up on it a few weeks ago. Just didn't seem that great. Is it good enough to get back into?
I like it and I definitely think it is getting better. Looks to be continuing that trend. Seems like most Sci-fi shows are a little slow to start because of so much material to introduce, a whole new world if you will. As long as they keep iit going, I think it will be fine and get faster paced.
May be best to pile up a few episodes to knock out at once before getting back into it.

I was originally disappointed, but it definitely got better as the season went on. Hopefully they can continue the trend.

May be best to pile up a few episodes to knock out at once before getting back into it.
Might also be because I DVR just about everything, so it may seem slower live. In 40 minutes, it is much better!

I was originally disappointed, but it definitely got better as the season went on. Hopefully they can continue the trend.
I just don't feel it getting any better yet. I still don't really understand this world, or what happened, or why there are all those ships in space (yeah, i get there was invasion and war, but that's about it). I don't think they are introducing us to the world at all, and are just putting together ok adventure episodes in this little town. I'm still watching, but more just because i want to like it so I can watch some scifi tv.

Just can't really say it's actually a good show yet.

I just don't feel it getting any better yet. I still don't really understand this world, or what happened, or why there are all those ships in space (yeah, i get there was invasion and war, but that's about it). I don't think they are introducing us to the world at all, and are just putting together ok adventure episodes in this little town. I'm still watching, but more just because i want to like it so I can watch some scifi tv.

That's kind of what I got out of it before I stopped watching. It was kind of like a generic police procedural with aliens.

I have the last 3-4 episodes on the dvr to watch and I'll get to them, but I kind of agree with The Tick. I felt like they were laying a baseline but to too many (possibly) inter-winding stories without ever advancing any of them. Maybe I'll feel different when I catch up.

I am looking forward to Continuum being back on though.

That's kind of what I got out of it before I stopped watching. It was kind of like a generic police procedural with aliens.
I started watching this on Hulu. It's been ok thus far. However, I tend to agree with Tick as well. I'd like to see more about the how and why regarding the current situation on the terraformed earth with several alien species in residence. (Do they address such later in the season?)

I started watching this on Hulu. It's been ok thus far. However, I tend to agree with Tick as well. I'd like to see more about the how and why regarding the current situation on the terraformed earth with several alien species in residence. (Do they address such later in the season?)
Not really. I'm still watching as well, hoping its going to go somewhere, but I'm starting to lose patience. Last couple of shows were instantly forgettable. The writers are wasting tons of time to set up minor plot points.

I just don't feel it getting any better yet. I still don't really understand this world, or what happened, or why there are all those ships in space (yeah, i get there was invasion and war, but that's about it). I don't think they are introducing us to the world at all, and are just putting together ok adventure episodes in this little town. I'm still watching, but more just because i want to like it so I can watch some scifi tv.Just can't really say it's actually a good show yet.
I felt it needed more background as well. I went to the Defiance page on Wiki and read through the Background section there. It also has a link to the Species of Defiance. This gave me insight into the setup and the interaction between species without any real spoiling.

I just sort of watch the show when there's nothing better to do. If it wasn't sci fi I'd have deleted it from the season DVR list by now.

I REALLY want to punch the whiny son of the miner in the face.

This show has tremendous upside. But they need to bolster the back story a bit. they have alluded to all of the things that happened on the earth that lead us to the present day Defiance. But they need to flesh those things out a bit more. It has been more, adventure of the week stories of late with some underlying plot development regarding the Mining Family, the Ex-Mayor and the Earth Republic? They need to advance some of these plot lines in a major way or people are going to be bored. A little more backstory on each of the alien races through some of them represented in Defiance would be cool and so would some back story on the Pale Wars through the eyes of Nolan, Mayor Nikki and Mining Dude(Graham Greene) would be helpful as well.

I just sort of watch the show when there's nothing better to do. If it wasn't sci fi I'd have deleted it from the season DVR list by now.

I REALLY want to punch the whiny son of the miner in the face.
Haha, he does elicit that sort of response. I guess that actor must be really "good."

I felt it needed more background as well. I went to the Defiance page on Wiki and read through the Background section there. It also has a link to the Species of Defiance. This gave me insight into the setup and the interaction between species without any real spoiling.
Interesting. Maybe I'll pay a visit to that Wiki page as well (prior to watching another ep). Just wish the show would come out and explain this sort of stuff.

This show has tremendous upside. But they need to bolster the back story a bit. they have alluded to all of the things that happened on the earth that lead us to the present day Defiance. But they need to flesh those things out a bit more. It has been more, adventure of the week stories of late with some underlying plot development regarding the Mining Family, the Ex-Mayor and the Earth Republic? They need to advance some of these plot lines in a major way or people are going to be bored. A little more backstory on each of the alien races through some of them represented in Defiance would be cool and so would some back story on the Pale Wars through the eyes of Nolan, Mayor Nikki and Mining Dude(Graham Greene) would be helpful as well.
:goodposting:

Hopefully the writers of this show can figure this out sooner rather than later... as it seems like this is a common complaint many of us have.

Users who are viewing this thread