What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Thread for The Last Of Us for PS3 and now PS4*** (1 Viewer)

I'm just past where Joel gives Ellie the gun to protect him.

It's a great story for my liking. Maybe a little too linear however I'm playin non stop right now. It has me that hooked. So, maybe not so linear if you don't play it marathon style.

I will say that the second time I met the big guy, I simply ran. I wasn fighting him again.

329 total kills

65% shots hit (I've improved quite a bit)

22 headshot kills (not many the further I progress)

152 melee kills

53 Molotov kills

10 shiv kills

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on the 3rd floor of the hotel in Pittsburgh and am very impressed with the game so far. I REALLY ####ing hate Clickers though. I guess I will save up for the Shiv defense where they can't kill you with one hit

I feel like I should have more pills to upgrade Joel's stuff but so far all I have done is maximum health one time and listening mode twice. I'm upgrading weapons sway once right now though.

The story is where it's a for me. I can't imagine a harder difficulty right now has I am immersed as is.

There was one part in the hotel I could not get to. Wondering if you do, put down here wha you find. There was a hole that you would need a plank or something but I was not going to search for it.

I will say that the second time I met the big guy, I simply ran. I wasn fighting him again.
Same here. This is the only area I've encountered so far that I thought was a little frustrating -- it took me several tries to get out of there because I just kept getting dogpiled all at once.

I'm 67% of the way through or so says the save. I played all night and am tired this morning.

Not a spoiler since most should know its coming, but when we first began the game, the screen said "Summer". I played another ~90 minutes or so after I was given the "Fall" screen. So, the game might be working in seasons.

I like Frank... he's a real hero.

I watched my son (14) play this for a while last night. It drives me crazy to watch him, because he just strolls through the environment without a care in the world. No scouring the area for supplies, no crafting, no looking for documents, nothing. Just full steam ahead. He wouldn't last a week in the apocalypse.

I watched my son (14) play this for a while last night. It drives me crazy to watch him, because he just strolls through the environment without a care in the world. No scouring the area for supplies, no crafting, no looking for documents, nothing. Just full steam ahead. He wouldn't last a week in the apocalypse.
Haha. Sounds like we play the game very similarly. Your son would likely evade attacks by walking around with his head up while we're sifting through refuse to find flowers that might be able to get converted into vitamins.

Haha. Sounds like we play the game very similarly. Your son would likely evade attacks by walking around with his head up while we're sifting through refuse to find flowers that might be able to get converted into vitamins.
Final laugh will go to Ivan when his son is fighting one of the big guys and his weapons are so weak he either will not beat him or will take forever to do so. You can't just skip the big bad guy (except for the one time Ivan and me did).

I, knowingly, did not go to two places. One was the top floor of the hotel because I needed a plank or something (maybe I missed a door) but I assume there were some goods over there. Then, this morning, I was in the sewers and one door I found had a Clicker behind it but I did not open it nor see what else may have been back there. So, that is your challenge Ivan and Zaxxon.

I haven't played in a couple of hours. My controller never had to be recharged during my marathon so it should be ready to go now. I ate, showered, and got ready for the day so I am ready to play.

I gave up on the safe in the subway. I don't know how y'all managed to kill all the clickers. Best I could do was two and then I would either trigger the rest of the clickers, or the runners would spot me, attack, and then that would trigger the rest of the clickers.

One beef with the game, the save function. Useless. When doing the subway, I tried to save scum my way through it. Killed the first two clickers successfully then saved. Died. Reloaded the save, and it still went back to the beginning of the level, not the point where I had saved. So basically, it accomplishes nothing over the autosave. Either way, you end up back at the beginning of the level. Didn't care for that one bit. I understand their purpose maybe, no save scumming through a level. But as the consumer, that should be my decision, not theirs!

I gave up on the safe in the subway. I don't know how y'all managed to kill all the clickers. Best I could do was two and then I would either trigger the rest of the clickers, or the runners would spot me, attack, and then that would trigger the rest of the clickers.

One beef with the game, the save function. Useless. When doing the subway, I tried to save scum my way through it. Killed the first two clickers successfully then saved. Died. Reloaded the save, and it still went back to the beginning of the level, not the point where I had saved. So basically, it accomplishes nothing over the autosave. Either way, you end up back at the beginning of the level. Didn't care for that one bit. I understand their purpose maybe, no save scumming through a level. But as the consumer, that should be my decision, not theirs!
As previously mentioned, the Clickers are terrible. I try to sneak up behind them and shiv them as much as possible but I would say they somehow sense me roughly 20% of the time which sucks. Another trick I have tried is to plant the nail grenades near a chokepoint and then fire off the handgun and move away. When they come to investigate I hit them with a molotov and the ensuing noise tends to bring them all together. I won't spoil anything but I got to an area where there were successive groups of 4 or 5 and while adding tension, it can become a little tedious.

As previously mentioned, the Clickers are terrible. I try to sneak up behind them and shiv them as much as possible but I would say they somehow sense me roughly 20% of the time which sucks. Another trick I have tried is to plant the nail grenades near a chokepoint and then fire off the handgun and move away.
Uhm, I don't have any type of genades. Nail or otherwise.

As previously mentioned, the Clickers are terrible. I try to sneak up behind them and shiv them as much as possible but I would say they somehow sense me roughly 20% of the time which sucks. Another trick I have tried is to plant the nail grenades near a chokepoint and then fire off the handgun and move away.
Uhm, I don't have any type of genades. Nail or otherwise.
For the subway section I ended up killing everything because I like to search in peace. If I recall correctly, the way that I approached it was to hide in the shadows because there were a few sprinters around but I isolated the clickers. The grab and shiv combo works well but I had to craft a few during the fight. If you run out, you can stun them with a bottle or a brick and then kill them with one melee hit if you have a board or a pipe handy.

Anyone else have max molitovs and no health kits? I need to adjust my crafting priorities. Those of you that are having trouble drawing too many clickers, try to isolate them. Use a brick (not a bottle) to lure them into a corner away from the others. Grab, shiv, repeat. Also don't be afraid to run away!

I cleared the subway station by learning to use Molotovs. I hadn't used them before. But I had a save from right at the beginning of that section, so I went back to it. Would throw a bottle and, when they gathered around it, I'd launch the Molotov and take out two or three at once. Ended up replaying like an hour's worth of the game again. But oh well, I did it. Now I have plenty of the Molotov and Health kits. So it didn't hurt me any. I just met up with Bill.

I, knowingly, did not go to two places. One was the top floor of the hotel because I needed a plank or something (maybe I missed a door) but I assume there were some goods over there. Then, this morning, I was in the sewers and one door I found had a Clicker behind it but I did not open it nor see what else may have been back there. So, that is your challenge Ivan and Zaxxon.
Two clickers, easily shiv-able. A decent amount of supplies and a note from Ish.

If you guys had trouble with the subway, you are going to be complaining a lot later.

To use molotovs, throw a bottle, attract Clickers/people, molotov them and run if possible.

As best as I can tell you, get used to your guns. Know their limits and aim for the heads. A body shot will "stun" person, not a Clicker. The runners you can kill with fists if needed.

I only upgraded it once but the Sway Weapons upgrade is great. Helps with my sniper/hunting rifle awesome. The shotgun rules. I have each weapon now.

Ivan, at least you did not say you got a tools upgrade in that room. I hope there was not a tools upgrade in the hotel part either. That stuff is key. And, on a harder difficulty, I think me/you will have to pick one handgun, one "rifle" and go with them to maximize out. Slow and steady on a harder difficulty.

If you guys had trouble with the subway, you are going to be complaining a lot later.
That's not what I wanted to hear. I wanted this game for the atmosphere and story, not for a game with a bunch of nearly impossible battles. Guess I can always notch down the difficulty if need be.

Two clickers, easily shiv-able. A decent amount of supplies and a note from Ish.
I go into every room I can even if I have to find shiv parts ad go back to open a door. It's always worth it.

Yep, I think I found a total of 4 notes from Ish including that one.

I just got to Fall. Do we find out what happened to Ish and I missed it?

I go into every room I can even if I have to find shiv parts ad go back to open a door. It's always worth it.
I have opened every Shiv door I have encountered and they are ALWAYS well worth the price of admission. Shivs are cheap and once you upgrade them you can still open a door even if you only have 1 bar left on them.

Too funny...same exact scenarios have played out with my son. I'd like no one better on my team during the zombie apocalypse...he can mow through a room, house, building, town like he's skating on ice...steadily killing everything along the way...while I'm busy checking every drawer, box, bush, trunk looking for every little thing I can horde and keep for a cushy existence in the aftermath.

That is...if I can keep him in sight and he doesn't leave me behind to die while I'm sifting through zombie's pockets.

Got this for Father's Day. My son is six, so I'm waiting for him to go to bed before cracking it open.

Definitely not material for a six year old to see, right?

@Zaxxon - if we do find out, I have not yet. (Reply to his spoiler above)

@Others - I go into every door too but did not feel it that time and you have three others with you. I know, dumb reason but just what I did. Still no word on that 3rd floor hotel.

@Other - no playing today due to Father's Day. Itching here.

I know Ellie is young but she has to be based on Ellen Page. Just has to although her voice is from growing pains.

Got this for Father's Day. My son is six, so I'm waiting for him to go to bed before cracking it open.

Not even close. The female protagonist is a 14 year old that routinely drops F bombs and there is a great deal of violence.

@Zaxxon - if we do find out, I have not yet. (Reply to his spoiler above)

@Others - I go into every door too but did not feel it that time and you have three others with you. I know, dumb reason but just what I did. Still no word on that 3rd floor hotel.

@Other - no playing today due to Father's Day. Itching here.

I know Ellie is young but she has to be based on Ellen Page. Just has to although her voice is from growing pains.
Kev, I don't remember anything on the 3rd floor that required a plank but there was a room with a ton of goodies and I think a note of some sort that you had to drop down from a patio area in order to access.

You should have found a note from Ish in the residential area outside the sewers. They got overrun thanks to somebody leaving a door open, but he/she survived. No further updates that I found.

Nope. Not appropriate for a little kid. Lots of brutal violence, and Tony Montana thinks that Ellie needs to clean up her language.

So anyway, this is a pretty long game. I got through the most of what I thought was the last chapter (college campus), and it turns out I still have several more chapters to go. Granted, subsequent runs won't be so long since I won't have to search everything, but still this is a lengthy story.

You should have found a note from Ish in the residential area outside the sewers. They got overrun thanks to somebody leaving a door open, but he/she survived. No further updates that I found.
You are absolutely right. I remember reading that but forgot that it was from him. Thanks.

So anyway, this is a pretty long game. I got through the most of what I thought was the last chapter (college campus), and it turns out I still have several more chapters to go. Granted, subsequent runs won't be so long since I won't have to search everything, but still this is a lengthy story.
Everything I had read stated about 20 hours to complete. Where do you stand time-wise right now?

Everything I had read stated about 20 hours to complete. Where do you stand time-wise right now?
Not sure if they take in the videos and stuff but I'm hovering at 18 hours right now with 2/3rds complete. The 17 hours may be if you never die and search minimally. I'd estimate 30 for the first time through.

Not sure if they take in the videos and stuff but I'm hovering at 18 hours right now with 2/3rds complete. The 17 hours may be if you never die and search minimally. I'd estimate 30 for the first time through.
This might be my favorite $45 I've spent on a video game in a LONG time.

I just got the girl.

So I'm guessing this isn't free roam at all, huh? Follow the story fairly strictly, with the exception of rummaging around for bonus supplies?

Great game so far with only a few minor quibbles. I also got stuck in the subway area and died a ton of times. 1st try, darn NPC character set off a clicker and I tried to save them and died. 2nd time cleared out most of the room but somehow missed one that got me from behind. From there just a bunch of frustration and mess ups trying to sneak by or save shives.

Have some issues with the controls and I can't seem to get the hang of the brick/bottles as a distraction. I throw them and I either outright miss or there's no reaction to them. Trying to do more sneaking but half the time I successfully get past a clicker only to get attacked from behind a few moments later.

Love the animation on kill melee moves, seems like it adapts to the environment around. I punched one guy, grabbed him and slammed his head into a jam between a door and the wall, wicked.

Have some issues with the controls and I can't seem to get the hang of the brick/bottles as a distraction. I throw them and I either outright miss or there's no reaction to them. Trying to do more sneaking but half the time I successfully get past a clicker only to get attacked from behind a few moments later.
The bottles/bricks only work within a certain distance. If you get a green arrow, the object will hit the enemy if the head and stun them. If you throw the object near them, they will recognize the noise and go to it. The Clickers cannot see you but can hear you. Throw an object to the side, wait for a couple of Clickers to appear and molotov their butts. The runners are still "human" so they are not as distracted by the noise. They will still go to it but you have to act quicker.

Use your hearing ability as well. I use it constantly to get a sense of where I am and where they are. Humans, later in the game, are smart... they stay still and you cannot identify them as easy.

This might be my favorite $45 I've spent on a video game in a LONG time.
I am happy to hear you say this. I read Ivan's post last night about getting through the college and I just had to spend another night playing. Yes, there is a winter and overall winter is fun. I stopped this morning when I entered Spring because I have to get going. However, I just played the worst Cat & Mouse game ever. Took me two hours to get past the restaurant. I won't say more than that but it was fun, then ranting, then discouraging and finally relief.

Great story and great game so far. I have completed 89% of the game. Not sure how much stuff I have gathered or whatever else.

A little more about the cat & mouse. I had to figure out what to do first so when I entered the restaurant, I creeped around everything cause I did not know what was coming. Although, those of you who listen to the music will be able to tell if the coast is clear or if there is danger. Anyway, I won't give any hints here unless they are in spoilers but I want to hear how others figure the whole thing out.

Also, the rifle with powered up scope is awesome. Helps in the winter a great deal.

Probably a stupid question, but what is with the icon of your controller that pops up in the bottom left corner every now and then? Like you are supposed to shake it or something.

Probably a stupid question, but what is with the icon of your controller that pops up in the bottom left corner every now and then? Like you are supposed to shake it or something.
It took me forever to figure this one out. It's the batteries on your flashlight. After your light has been on for a while, it starts to go out and Joel flicks it back on again by shaking it a little.

It took me forever to figure this one out. It's the batteries on your flashlight. After your light has been on for a while, it starts to go out and Joel flicks it back on again by shaking it a little.
Thanks! That was driving me nuts.

Mario Kart said:
Buckna said:
The bottles/bricks only work within a certain distance. If you get a green arrow, the object will hit the enemy if the head and stun them. If you throw the object near them, they will recognize the noise and go to it. The Clickers cannot see you but can hear you. Throw an object to the side, wait for a couple of Clickers to appear and molotov their butts. The runners are still "human" so they are not as distracted by the noise. They will still go to it but you have to act quicker.

Use your hearing ability as well. I use it constantly to get a sense of where I am and where they are. Humans, later in the game, are smart... they stay still and you cannot identify them as easy.
Thanks, most of this I was able to figure out thru trial and error. The tossing the bottles & bricks things though just can't seem to get the right handle on. Took me awhile to figure out how to aim the arc and everything and was often just bashing them against the wall i was hiding behind. But I get now why when I threw stuff sometimes there was no reaction because it was too far in another direction. I definitely need to use Molotov's more often.

Got this as a Fathers Day gift yesterday and played after the Finals last night. 1.5 hours in and 15% done on normal difficulty (for my first play through).

Really gut wrenching start and the game is awesome. So in my wheelhouse of survival, stealth and action. But more importantly the voice acting, visuals and sound are top notch. Feels like an Epic movie unfolding. The game feels great. Griity, tense, down to earth.

Pure survival.

I am exploring everything, taking my time, evaluating the situation. And trying to go as stealth as I can. Confrontation is inevitable, but making sure I approach it in the best way possible is the beauty of this game. This is not the type of game you rambo through. This is a game you immerse yourself in the enviroments and tak in the sheer horror of the situation you find yourself in.

It has a 28 days later feel. But in the USA.

Great stuff.

Got this as a Fathers Day gift yesterday and played after the Finals last night. 1.5 hours in and 15% done on normal difficulty (for my first play through).

Really gut wrenching start and the game is awesome. So in my wheelhouse of survival, stealth and action. But more importantly the voice acting, visuals and sound are top notch. Feels like an Epic movie unfolding. The game feels great. Griity, tense, down to earth.

Pure survival.

I am exploring everything, taking my time, evaluating the situation. And trying to go as stealth as I can. Confrontation is inevitable, but making sure I approach it in the best way possible is the beauty of this game. This is not the type of game you rambo through. This is a game you immerse yourself in the enviroments and tak in the sheer horror of the situation you find yourself in.

It has a 28 days later feel. But in the USA.

Great stuff.
I was on the fence about this game, but your words here tell me I'll enjoy it a lot - will be picking it up tonight or tomorrow.

Zaxxon said:

Yes, you find out what happens to ish... spoilers on him and where to find the note.

A couple of the notes in the sewer tell how he got everyone together, but someone left a single door open one night, and a group of zombies killed off everyone but him and one of the adult females. He forcibly carried her from the sewer since she was trying to retrieve some of the children's bodies. He led her into one of the houses you search with sam and crew down the street a bit (near the pack of dogs.) The note is on a third floor of a house that explains the last part.

Users who are viewing this thread