What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pre-Diabetes. Just got diagnosed. (1 Viewer)

Usual21

Footballguy
I had a pretty rough last week. I started with nagging cough and a lot of congestion. It started messing with my sleep, and I treasure sleep. So I went to my doc. First of all, my blood pressure was 129/91. My blood pressure is ALWAYS fine. Even for a heavier set guy. It got my attention a little bit, but not much. We're trying to get our house ready to sell and I know that stress can cause it. Next up? Bronchitis. I was put on antibiotics and he asked me when the last time it was that we ran full blood work. He decided to run my blood.

This past Monday I get a phone call from the nurse saying that everything was OK except my sugar levels. She said I was prediabetic.

:eek:

I never thought that it could happen to me. I was always the chubby guy who was athlete at heart. The message stated that I should stay away from ALL SWEETS and to watch my diet and lose some weight. I know I have to do this, but the word prediabetic just smacked me in the face.

First thing I did was research what it was and what I have to do now. Now the high blood pressure makes sense. I'm going away on Saturday for a week long vacation with family and friends. After this vacation, I have to face this head on. I'm I overreacting?

TIA

Diabetes has become one of the most common chronic diseases Americans face. "pre-diabetes" implies a relatively early progression. With sensible diet and mild exercise, most "pre-diabetics" can easily control it. Later, some meds may be necessary.

Diabetes is generally controllable, but it will require your attention. DO NOT ignore it.

(I'm 3 weeks from finishing my BSN)

Last edited by a moderator:
nope. Much better to deal with prediabetes then diabetes. What they are asking you to do (cut out sweets and lose weight) shouldn't be too much of a burden. Much better then having to test your blood sugar throughout the day by pricking your fingers and having to inject yourself with insulin every time you eat. My dad is diabetic, and my fat ### is probably not too far away, and i should be trimming off 10-15 pounds myself. I did it last summer, and it is amazing how different it will probably make you feel.

I'm going away on Saturday for a week long vacation with family and friends. After this vacation, I have to face this head on.
You shouldn't wait until after the vacation. Eliminating sweets should not be that difficult. The harder part is watching your carb intake

I don't have experience with prediabetes, but my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 at 18 months of age. After 15 years of dealing with the stuff that goes with it, it's no joke. It sounds like you have an early warning/second chance.

Hopefully, you kick it in the ###. Best wishes.

Blood pressure a blip above normal. Get some exercise you sloth... a very controllable condition with a little common sense. Stop whining like a school girl.

I'm going away on Saturday for a week long vacation with family and friends. After this vacation, I have to face this head on.
You shouldn't wait until after the vacation. Eliminating sweets should not be that difficult. The harder part is watching your carb intake
This.

There's always an excuse to eat cake or some other garbage. There's always a vacation, a birthday, a party, etc... Not trying to be harsh, but after hearing pre-diabetic, your first thoughts shouldn't be "ill tackle this when I get back from vacation." Living with diabetes is no joke - affects everything you do, magnifies every health problem you'll ever encounter, and eventually end your life years earlier than you want. Not trying to be a downer, but it is that serious.

This.

There's always an excuse to eat cake or some other garbage. There's always a vacation, a birthday, a party, etc... Not trying to be harsh, but after hearing pre-diabetic, your first thoughts shouldn't be "ill tackle this when I get back from vacation." Living with diabetes is no joke - affects everything you do, magnifies every health problem you'll ever encounter, and eventually end your life years earlier than you want. Not trying to be a downer, but it is that serious.
Been reading up for the last 20 minutes. This is serious. I drop 10-20 lbs easy, and they creep back. My biggest vice is sweets. If sugar was booze, I'd be an alcoholic. I get exercise, but then I eat back the calories I burned. Headed to Fenwick Island, DE for a week. Starting when I come back is not an option. starting tomorrow morning.

Do you exercise? Just walking 30 minutes a day will get rid of just about every health problem you can get due to weight. If you didnt do anything else but walked 30 minutes a day every day you probably wouldn't ever pass pre diabetes.

Broccoli/veggie tray at our draft?

This isn't a death sentence. Eat better and run around a little more. You'll be fine (but seriously, don't let this go).

Hang in there, buddy.

Stay away from anything that spikes blood sugar. Sweets, high carb meals. Exercise, include weight training, not just cardio. Muscle is very metabolically active and can greatly improve insulin sensitivity. Training to fatigue can dump a lot of glycogen from the muscles, causing them to replenish from blood sugar.

What was your blood sugar? Did you fast appropriately before the test?

Also, did they check your thyroid levels and how did those look?

Well, my Dad died after complications from diabetes (lost the will to live after his leg was amputated) and both of my brothers are diabetic, the youngest finding out he had a blood sugar level of 800+. All due to lifestyle. I want to live a quality life with some longetivy. So I don't smoke, exercise 5+ days at the gym and am always walking. Have lost 20 pounds over the last 2 years and am in my best shape at 51 since college. I have a sweet tooth as well, but I try to be smart about it. Just had a section of Amber Lynn sugar free dark chocolate (sell it at Costco special events - amazing stuff). I avoid carbs like the plague. Dinner tonight was a salad bowl at Chipotle. Salad, carnitas, veggies, salsas - good stuff. No rice/beans/tortilla.

Diabetes is not good. You got a warning. Take it seriously.

there is a lot of easy things you can do to help as well. When they diagnosed my dad, they told him one of the worst things he was doing was eating a ton at one sitting. Balance out meals throughout the day, and get something in you for breakfast. This will also help your metabolism stay active and cut weight better

Try and switch your snacking to fruit. Get more exercise, even if it means doing some stomach tightening exercises while you drive.

Pick up some chromium picolinate. It helps you regulate your blood sugar better.

Guys our age should have full blood work done at least once a year (even if you think everything is okay).

As others have said, you know what to do.

The doctor just basically told you that if you change your lifestyle you can lead a long heaalthy life and if you don't you could be dead soon.

Your reaction is that you'll deal with this later.

If anything, it sounds like you're under reacting.

If you want to take control of your health rather than just trusting the docs, one good resource is a book called Don't Die Early by Rocky Angelucci - focus on diabetes, heart, BP, thyroid, blood sugar, etc.

The doctor just basically told you that if you change your lifestyle you can lead a long heaalthy life and if you don't you could be dead soon.

Your reaction is that you'll deal with this later.

If anything, it sounds like you're under reacting.
He didn't say I would be dead soon, but I do need to start sooner than later.Read an article yesterday about the ill effects of diet soda especially with diabetics. Gotta cut that out too. So basically cut the sweets, watch the carbs, exercise, and lose some weight.

If you want to take control of your health rather than just trusting the docs, one good resource is a book called Don't Die Early by Rocky Angelucci - focus on diabetes, heart, BP, thyroid, blood sugar, etc.
I'll check it out.

I had a pretty rough last week. I started with nagging cough and a lot of congestion. It started messing with my sleep, and I treasure sleep. So I went to my doc. First of all, my blood pressure was 129/91. My blood pressure is ALWAYS fine. Even for a heavier set guy. It got my attention a little bit, but not much. We're trying to get our house ready to sell and I know that stress can cause it. Next up? Bronchitis. I was put on antibiotics and he asked me when the last time it was that we ran full blood work. He decided to run my blood.

This past Monday I get a phone call from the nurse saying that everything was OK except my sugar levels. She said I was prediabetic.

:eek:

I never thought that it could happen to me. I was always the chubby guy who was athlete at heart. The message stated that I should stay away from ALL SWEETS and to watch my diet and lose some weight. I know I have to do this, but the word prediabetic just smacked me in the face.

First thing I did was research what it was and what I have to do now. Now the high blood pressure makes sense. I'm going away on Saturday for a week long vacation with family and friends. After this vacation, I have to face this head on. I'm I overreacting?

TIA
Cut out bread, pasta and sweets for 6 months and you will have a huge improvement.

'

Do you exercise? Just walking 30 minutes a day will get rid of just about every health problem you can get due to weight. If you didnt do anything else but walked 30 minutes a day every day you probably wouldn't ever pass pre diabetes.
Ignore this post. You can control your weight/diabetes with what you eat far more effectively than you can with exercise. If you can only pick one dial in what you eat. Throw exercise in for the double whammy, but don't rely on exercise alone.

It's not just sweets, it's things like Ketchup and BBQ type sauces (loaded with sugar) that you need to remove from your diet (use fresh Salsa instead of Ketchup and BBQ sauces).

I know you're not a big drinker but there's a ton of sugar in alcohol drinks/beer.

Good luck bro!

Consider a good thing that you got this warning and tackle the problem head on!

What was your blood sugar? Did you fast appropriately before the test?

Also, did they check your thyroid levels and how did those look?
These are important questions.

It sounds like your doctor called for a blood test and you weren't expecting one so it's possible you hadn't fasted for 12 hours which can skew the results.

Also if a Thyroid work up wasn't part of the test that can be one possible root cause for elevated blood sugar levels.

Try and switch your snacking to fruit. Get more exercise, even if it means doing some stomach tightening exercises while you drive.

Pick up some chromium picolinate. It helps you regulate your blood sugar better.
Actually, it would be better to switch snacking to vegetables with a protein. If you are going to eat fruit, choose blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or strawberries. Avoid bananas, oranges, cherries, and grapes.

I was pre-diabetic 2 years ago and I can tell you changing your diet significantly and sticking to it can have a tremendous positive effect, even if you don't increase the amount of time you exercise. It isn't easy (like you, I have a big sweet tooth), but I went (mostly) gluten-free in my diet, and reduced the number of bread/pasta carbs significantly and began eating things I didn't know existed like kale and chard. My blood work now is much better, I sleep better, and I've lost weight. The sooner you start, the sooner you will begin to feel much better. Good luck.

80% of it is diet. Get that squared away for 6+ weeks and then add activity.

Join the group in the My Fitness Pal App thread and start using it.

If you're anything but a teetotaler or an extremely light drinker, cutting alcohol will cause you to immediately drop 5-10 pounds or more withing 2-3 weeks, easy. There's HUGE wasted calories in alcohol, on the order of 150-200 per drink, and much of that comes from sugar.

Blood pressure a blip above normal. Get some exercise you sloth... a very controllable condition with a little common sense. Stop whining like a school girl.
Yes indeed. I have an Aunt that had the same condition. She started walking a mile a day and was fine six months later.

If you're anything but a teetotaler or an extremely light drinker, cutting alcohol will cause you to immediately drop 5-10 pounds or more withing 2-3 weeks, easy. There's HUGE wasted calories in alcohol, on the order of 150-200 per drink, and much of that comes from sugar.
Couple that with a little heroin use (it is pretty popular right now) and you will really drop some weight.

Broccoli/veggie tray at our draft?

This isn't a death sentence. Eat better and run around a little more. You'll be fine (but seriously, don't let this go).

Hang in there, buddy.
:goodposting:

Have a few relatives with Type II diabetes, and with a managed diet and a little discipline are doing fine. Their diet is a lot better now for sure.

Ignore this post. You can control your weight/diabetes with what you eat far more effectively than you can with exercise. If you can only pick one dial in what you eat. Throw exercise in for the double whammy, but don't rely on exercise alone.
Yes the most important thing is for Usual to lose weight. And yes the easiest way to lose weight is changing your eating habits. However, most people lose weight in a way that doesn't involve long term change and that's why most don't keep weight off over the long term. So what Usual should do is make some actual lifestyle changes. In my opinion it's a lot easier to get yourself to walk a half hour a day than it is to make just about any lifestyle change. Because you aren't changing all your time just a half hour. Eating healthier 24 hours a day is a tough step to make.

If Usual loses 50 pounds over the next year and then gains back 50 pounds in the next 2 or 3 he is most likely in worse shape healthwise at the end of things. If Usual loses 5-10 pounds over the next 2 to 3 years and is more active in his day to day life he is most likely in better shape healthwise at the end of things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo

This is an interesting video on how much a little exercise can help with health. And yes I am with the opinion that if Usual is inactive adding 3.5 hours of exercise a week (even just walking) will probably keep him from progressing from pre diabetes into regular diabetes. Especially if he's more careful with what he eats. And I am also of the opinion that talking him into a strict no sweets diet is a bad idea because it's not sustainable and in the long run he's not in a better spot. Big changes build from small changes.

Giving up all junk food today and for the rest of your life is not sustainable for most people and most will go back to old habits eventually if they try a drastic plan like that. Making smaller changes for health is a whole lot easier and you can build on them in the future.

TIA
It can be reversed. I had moderate high blood pressure and was prediabetic. Did glucose tolerance test but it was negative. Went on Atkins and lost 30+ pounds, modified the alcohol intake (especially red wine) and exercised (nothing too strenuous due to bad knee). blood pressure is now normal and glucose levels back within normal range. Do some type of low carb for about 6 months. My Dr recommended south Beach over Atkins. Think "fiber" for food and stay hydrated. It just takes a little discipline.

Yes the most important thing is for Usual to lose weight. And yes the easiest way to lose weight is changing your eating habits. However, most people lose weight in a way that doesn't involve long term change and that's why most don't keep weight off over the long term. So what Usual should do is make some actual lifestyle changes. In my opinion it's a lot easier to get yourself to walk a half hour a day than it is to make just about any lifestyle change. Because you aren't changing all your time just a half hour. Eating healthier 24 hours a day is a tough step to make.

If Usual loses 50 pounds over the next year and then gains back 50 pounds in the next 2 or 3 he is most likely in worse shape healthwise at the end of things. If Usual loses 5-10 pounds over the next 2 to 3 years and is more active in his day to day life he is most likely in better shape healthwise at the end of things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo

This is an interesting video on how much a little exercise can help with health. And yes I am with the opinion that if Usual is inactive adding 3.5 hours of exercise a week (even just walking) will probably keep him from progressing from pre diabetes into regular diabetes. Especially if he's more careful with what he eats. And I am also of the opinion that talking him into a strict no sweets diet is a bad idea because it's not sustainable and in the long run he's not in a better spot. Big changes build from small changes.

Giving up all junk food today and for the rest of your life is not sustainable for most people and most will go back to old habits eventually if they try a drastic plan like that. Making smaller changes for health is a whole lot easier and you can build on them in the future.
The high blood glucose that signifies Diabetes can be controlled by better eating. Simply eat less refined and fewer sugary foods and make sure your portion control is reasonable. That's the most effective means of reducing blood glucose levels, period. Sure, you can exercise which will help, but it's not the solution. Exercise is bailing out water after it's already in the boat. A proper diet keeps the boat dry.

When I say a proper diet I mean a lifelong dietary plan, not a month-long test of willpower. The world we live in today is tough, the food industry has spent billions of dollars perfecting their formulas of sugary/salty addiction and untold more making sure the FDA/government looks the other way as health markers plummet and care costs skyrocket. Fortunately it's pretty simple, try to stick with one ingredient foods. Sure it takes dedication, but anything worth having does, and a healthy body is well worth it.

Get a good bike and ride the living crap out of it. You say you are an athlete at heart ... riding a bike, especially off road, is seriously good juju for the head and soul. Move from Jersey if you have to. Time to be proactive...I wish you well.

I have a 13 yr old daughter with Type 1 diabetes. A different disease, but similar in many ways. I have learned a lot about diabetes after she was diagnosed.

1. Learn to count your carbs.

2. Buy a food scale.

3. Look at nutrition facts on boxes. You can not believe the amount of carbs in some foods.

4. Download the app Calorie King. This is a big help when eating out.

5. Buy the book Diabetes Solution by Bernstein

Good luck

Keep an honest diary (electronic or paper & pencil) of food intake and physical activity. Consider a pedometer. Analyze it weekly.

Read food labels.

Cook your own food. Saute veggies such as mushrooms, onions, zuchini, eggplant, or whatever you like. Add a protein such as tofu, chicken breast, shrimp, etc. Top with shredded cheese - it makes everything taste better. You don't have to worry much about portion size, because the veggies will fill you up.

Don't cook rice, pasta or potatoes. Eat one piece of bread or toast to satisfy your desire for carbs.

Snack with nuts or another low carb alternative.

Drink water or sugar-free beverages.

Exercise.

Users who are viewing this thread