What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Arian Foster - All Foster news, all the time (1 Viewer)

AAAll-Stars

Footballguy
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000243226/article/arian-foster-frustration-is-about-competitive-nature

Foster expressed frustration on the sideline during Houston's Monday night win over the San Diego Chargers. He admitted Thursday it's not easy seeing his role minimized.

"They had a game plan going in about how much they wanted me to play and they were trying to ease me back into it, but my competitive nature, of course you want to be in," Foster said, via ESPN.com.
I think this might be a downgrade of Tate here. Arian really seems like he wants it.

<title edited by FBG Mod to help with searching>

Last edited by a moderator:
Then there's this...

Coach Gary Kubiak reiterated Wednesday that he wants the carry split between Arian Foster and Ben Tate to be "pretty close right now."
It remains to be seen if Kubiak will put his money where his mouth is. On Monday night, Foster played 73.3 percent of the snaps and out-touched Tate 24-11. But after reviewing the tape, the coaching staff likely saw how much more explosive and fresh Tate appeared while averaging 6.11 YPC. When Foster was asked Wednesday if he's comfortable splitting time, he said he "has to be. ... we're chess pieces." Tate is on the flex radar against the Titans this week.

Do you think Fosters gas tank is running low after all the miles he has put on his body or do you feel like he's just working the rust off?

I know it's only week one BUT, Tate looked like the better RB week one. This from a Foster owner (redraft). I'm far from a NFL head coach but Tate looks to have earned more snaps so far.

I know it's only week one BUT, Tate looked like the better RB week one. This from a Foster owner (redraft). I'm far from a NFL head coach but Tate looks to have earned more snaps so far.
Agreed but I'm not sure if its because Tate is younger and hungrier or because Foster is rusty and not in game shape yet it because he is breaking down. Time will tell.

Do you think Fosters gas tank is running low after all the miles he has put on his body or do you feel like he's just working the rust off?
That's what the Texans wanna find out as well because Tate is gonna leave next summer

Personally, I think Tate has always been more "explosive". The low YPC for Foster is alarming, but I'm confident that he's still the better all around running back.

what exactly are people referring to when they say Foster is better all-around but Tate is a better runner? his pass catching? is Tate a bad pass catcher? I saw a Houston writer saying she thought Tate was a fine pass catcher just hadn't been put in situations to catch passes

They are going to use Tate a lot this year b/c he's leaving in the offseason so they want to give him carries while they can before he's gone to keep the miles off Foster who's locked up in a long term expensive contract.

Reports are that Foster and Tate are both unhappy about the timeshare, and both have vocalized it to the media. I remember how DWill and Stewart were both open about loving the Thunder and Lightning approach. I wonder if this unhappiness motivates Foster, or conversely, makes Tate a malcontent.

Reports are that Foster and Tate are both unhappy about the timeshare, and both have vocalized it to the media. I remember how DWill and Stewart were both open about loving the Thunder and Lightning approach. I wonder if this unhappiness motivates Foster, or conversely, makes Tate a malcontent.
I bet Tate lands in Indy next year and makes the Texans pay for years to come...

We'll see what Foster looks like this week with some of the rust off, but as of week 1, Tate looks much better & it wasn't even close.

I bet Tate lands in Indy next year and makes the Texans pay for years to come...

We'll see what Foster looks like this week with some of the rust off, but as of week 1, Tate looks much better & it wasn't even close.
Agreed. Tate looked really good.

Edit: And I'm a Foster owner

what exactly are people referring to when they say Foster is better all-around but Tate is a better runner? his pass catching? is Tate a bad pass catcher? I saw a Houston writer saying she thought Tate was a fine pass catcher just hadn't been put in situations to catch passes
My perception is that Foster's chief asset is his vision and decisiveness, which fits perfectly with Houston's scheme. He can wait and watch the play develop, identify the hole, and immediately run through it. Tate is probably the better physical athlete, but Foster is better within game situations.

I thought Foster basically went out of his way to say he is ok with it, but you should be concerned that any player is happy being on the sidelines during crunch time.

Tate on the other hand is making it clear he is wants the job and wants to get paid

I thought Foster basically went out of his way to say he is ok with it, but you should be concerned that any player is happy being on the sidelines during crunch time.

Tate on the other hand is making it clear he is wants the job and wants to get paid
Tate has done nothing in his career to earn anything more than the right to stand on the sideline and shut the F up.

I thought Foster basically went out of his way to say he is ok with it, but you should be concerned that any player is happy being on the sidelines during crunch time.Tate on the other hand is making it clear he is wants the job and wants to get paid
Tate has done nothing in his career to earn anything more than the right to stand on the sideline and shut the F up.
Well then

Some people think Tate is a better RB.

Foster owners getting worried at all?
Not really. Tate had a great run, but Foster's still doubling him up in carries and looks very good. 11/60 so far. 2nd week in a row the Texans went play-action to the TE from the 1, which won't happen every week.

Foster owners getting worried at all?
Not really. Tate had a great run, but Foster's still doubling him up in carries and looks very good. 11/60 so far. 2nd week in a row the Texans went play-action to the TE from the 1, which won't happen every week.
Now that the game's over, I'll expand further on this. Foster finished with 19/79, so Tate outrushed him with 9/93, but you only need to look at that last drive in regulation to see how the Texans view their RBs. Foster gets it at the goal line when nothing but a TD will do, and then gets it again on the 2-point conversion they need to send it to overtime.

The other takeaway from today is that Foster looked much better running than he did last week. He's may not be all the way there yet, but he's getting close.

season stats so far:

Arian Foster 37 rushes for 136 yards (3.68 YPC), 1 TD, 7 rec for 39 yards

Ben Tate 18 carries for 148 yards (8.22 YPC), 5 rec for 15 yards

It's a 2/1 carry ratio for Foster right now but if the Texans look at the numbers, they certainly justify Tate getting at least 50% of the rushes. Foster is still the goal-line back who they trust they most but there is no doubt who has been the better player so far

season stats so far:

It's a 2/1 carry ratio for Foster right now but if the Texans look at the numbers, they certainly justify Tate getting at least 50% of the rushes. Foster is still the goal-line back who they trust they most but there is no doubt who has been the better player so far

You didn't figure in the stat like for missed blocking assignments for Tate.

season stats so far:

You didn't figure in the stat like for missed blocking assignments for Tate.
how many does he have and how many does Foster have? I didn't factor in a couple of dropped passes from Foster also

Texans should trade Foster and make Tate the future.
Are you basing this outlandish statement on watching them play or just the state line and perhaps you having Tate on your team?
Not outlandish at all. The Chargers made a mistake holding onto LT too long when they could have gone younger, cheaper and better with Michael Turner and Darren Sproles. I think Foster still has plenty in the tank for this season, and possibly next, but for the future they will get more value with Tate.

Its pretty clear many of you simply read stat lines and don't even watch games before spouting off. Foster looked excellent against the titans. He broke tackles, he was good on the cutback, he dove forward to finish runs. Tate ran well, but 2/3 of his yardage came on one stretch play with a huge hole down the sideline. Foster gets used many times in obvious running plays where he gets hit at the line, hurting his ypc statline, but anyone actually watching the play can see when theres nothing there. Not to mention at the goal line its still all Foster. Tate will continue to get carries because it is simply a good use of resources and fresh legs, but he's not going to out touch Foster baring injury.

guys, you can't summarily dismiss Tate's 'one long run accounting for 2/3rds of his yardage' you can't pick and choose which stats you want to pay attention to. you have to consider the entire body of work..this is as bad as the Doug Martin thread(s) with the 'yeah,but, he got all of his yardage in 2 games last season' argument..doesn't hold water..it's liek saying Eli has thrown for a lot of TDs and yards this year, but dismissing the fact he has also tossed 7 ints.in TWO GAMES..

Tate looked AWESOME..Foster looked like he's coming around ,getting into football shape.it's clear , at least to me, that the Texans want to go with a full blown RBBC this season..to keep Foster fresh for a playoff run.. they also need to see exactly what they have in Tate and whether or not they should keep him/payhim next year and beyond, or let him go.

I think he's the best RB1a in the league, and will post solid #'s all season long.

I'm not dismissing Tate's long run, simply pointing out to people who only read stat lines, that his 9/93 line doesn't mean he "outplayed Foster again". Anyone who actually watched the game knows that isn't true. As a Houston fan, having Tate play well is simply awesome, it makes our running game more dynamic and takes pressure off Schaub. Foster didn't simply look like he's "coming around", he ran very well and anyone who dismisses that is simply wishing him to fail so they can claim they called it before the season with a :smugface: in my opinion. It simply isn't true. And if a 2/3 split is a RBBC to you, I am completely fine with that.

guys, you can't summarily dismiss Tate's 'one long run accounting for 2/3rds of his yardage' you can't pick and choose which stats you want to pay attention to. you have to consider the entire body of work..this is as bad as the Doug Martin thread(s) with the 'yeah,but, he got all of his yardage in 2 games last season' argument..doesn't hold water..it's liek saying Eli has thrown for a lot of TDs and yards this year, but dismissing the fact he has also tossed 7 ints.in TWO GAMES..

Tate looked AWESOME..Foster looked like he's coming around ,getting into football shape.it's clear , at least to me, that the Texans want to go with a full blown RBBC this season..to keep Foster fresh for a playoff run.. they also need to see exactly what they have in Tate and whether or not they should keep him/payhim next year and beyond, or let him go.

I think he's the best RB1a in the league, and will post solid #'s all season long.
As a Foster owner, I'm completely ok with that. If Houston would stop throwing short TD passes to TE's, Foster would be putting up pretty good numbers.

Its pretty clear many of you simply read stat lines and don't even watch games before spouting off. Foster looked excellent against the titans. He broke tackles, he was good on the cutback, he dove forward to finish runs. Tate ran well, but 2/3 of his yardage came on one stretch play with a huge hole down the sideline. Foster gets used many times in obvious running plays where he gets hit at the line, hurting his ypc statline, but anyone actually watching the play can see when theres nothing there. Not to mention at the goal line its still all Foster. Tate will continue to get carries because it is simply a good use of resources and fresh legs, but he's not going to out touch Foster baring injury.
Anyone who watched the game could see Foster looks like his usual self. He's not an amazing athlete like Tate but he gets the job done.

Unfortunately, Tate is putting a cap on Foster's numbers. RB1 but top 5 is doubtful.

I'm not dismissing Tate's long run, simply pointing out to people who only read stat lines, that his 9/93 line doesn't mean he "outplayed Foster again". Anyone who actually watched the game knows that isn't true. As a Houston fan, having Tate play well is simply awesome, it makes our running game more dynamic and takes pressure off Schaub. Foster didn't simply look like he's "coming around", he ran very well and anyone who dismisses that is simply wishing him to fail so they can claim they called it before the season with a :smugface: in my opinion. It simply isn't true. And if a 2/3 split is a RBBC to you, I am completely fine with that.
You summarized it very well. I don't know if people who don't follow the Texans realize that Foster's only gotten about 70-73% of the rushing work throughout his three successful years in Houston. Other backs seeing about 1/3 of the carries isn't anything new.

Are you basing this outlandish statement on watching them play or just the state line and perhaps you having Tate on your team?
Not outlandish at all. The Chargers made a mistake holding onto LT too long when they could have gone younger, cheaper and better with Michael Turner and Darren Sproles. I think Foster still has plenty in the tank for this season, and possibly next, but for the future they will get more value with Tate.
Tate is an UFA and will command a big contract next year.

Yeah, the points of arguing Tate this and Foster that are truly academic. It is the same old story as it has always been but people that watch the Texans know that the lionshare of the work has and will continue to go to Foster. And, as someone said above, the opportunity is there. Three Tds thrown to the Tes so far is what it is but the facts are the Texans are getting into position to where, some weeks, those will be two rushing Tds and everything will be "normal" again.

Tate IS running well but that's nothing new either. When he has been healthy, he has always looked like a back that could be starting on someone else's team and, after this year, he will be; its just a matter of where. Had the Niners not drafted Lattimore, I would think Tate would be absolutely ideal in a setting like that but wherever he goes, I am sure it will be somewhere he thinks he will be the lead dog and I'm sure he will generate quite a bit of deserved fantasy buzz prior to the 2014 season.

Anyone who watched the game could see Foster looks like his usual self. He's not an amazing athlete like Tate but he gets the job done.

Unfortunately, Tate is putting a cap on Foster's numbers. RB1 but top 5 is doubtful.
Tate isn't an amazing athlete, or he wouldn't have gotten caught on that long run. He's a power runner, Foster is not. Thats why Tate is an excellent compliment.

If he stays healthy, he will, which is why the Texans won't keep him. Its not because they don't want him, its because its silly to pay big money to two RBs unless you are the Carolina Panthers, and Foster fits the scheme better.

Please provide a single quote or interview to back up your claim that Tate is unhappy about a timeshare, or that there is any friction between Foster and Tate. In case you aren't catching my drift, I'm saying its completely fabricated.

"4 the record I never waived Arian off the field typical Media talk trying to stir up stuff smh"

Thats a direct quote from Ben Tate's facebook.

Tate isn't an amazing athlete, or he wouldn't have gotten caught on that long run. He's a power runner, Foster is not. Thats why Tate is an excellent compliment.
Ok, amazing is too far but he is a power runner with speed and agility who looks like he could be one of the better starting RB's in the league.

Tate will be excellent next year, wait for him to have an unproductive game and then buy him in dynasty if you are able. Someone is going to pay him.

Explain why this is outlandish, and i assume you own foster, as i own neither.
It's outlandish because:

1. They both have injury histories and if the Texans are looking for a playoff run, they may well need both players to maintain a running game.

2. Tate is a UFA after this year and would demand a big contract. Trading Foster may leave them with no starting RB next year.

3. Tate did not massively outplay Foster as the stat line shows. Im not discounting his 60 yard run, but one big run on limited touches will inflate the stats.

4. Teams don't give up tons in a trade for an aging RB. They both have much more value on the team then in a trade.

5. This is fantasy football. This is the NFL.

Full disclosure: In two leagues I own Foster and Tate so I'm good either way.

Please provide a single quote or interview to back up your claim that Tate is unhappy about a timeshare, or that there is any friction between Foster and Tate. In case you aren't catching my drift, I'm saying its completely fabricated.

"4 the record I never waived Arian off the field typical Media talk trying to stir up stuff smh"

Thats a direct quote from Ben Tate's facebook.
Here's what I saw...
Houston Texans RB Ben Tate isn't happy being behind RB Arian Foster on the running back depth chart despite outplaying his counterpart in Week 1 versus the San Diego Chargers. "I would be lying to you if I told you that I embraced the complement role to someone else," Tate said. "That's not why I wanted to be in the NFL. That's not my dream to complement someone else. That's not what my attitude or why I work out is to complement someone else."
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=870746-texans---ben-tate-not-happy-as-second-fiddle :shrug:

I know and IMO it would be smarter for the Texans in the long run to lock him down and cut bait on Foster. Not sure what the cap implications would be with Foster's current contract though so it might not be possible.

This is not to say anything about how Foster or Tate will finish as fantasy RBs just a comment on the Texans franchise in general.

Does it really make a difference which of them is happy with what? Just look at the way the coaches use them and the results. That's what matters.

Users who are viewing this thread