What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

➽ The 2nd best Quarterback of all-time? (Super Bowl Era) (1 Viewer)

Grp 2

• Total voters
Who's first? I assume Montana by his absence on your list. An argument could be made that he's not the greatest. Lists are very subjective to each person's opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fouts and Gabriel didn't even make it to a Super Bowl! and this is the "super bowl era" lol

Also included are some notable multilosing SB QB losers.

But left off the list are 2 time SB winning QB's Eli Manning and Jim Plunkett. That's a messed up list to choose from. I vote "other"

Montana 1st Unitas 2nd... Montana has to be 1 as he went 4 for 4 in superbowls and was the most determined, cool headed qb in pressure packed games you could find.

Fouts and Gabriel didn't even make it to a Super Bowl! and this is the "super bowl era" lol

But left off the list are 2 time SB winning QB's Eli Manning and Jim Plunkett. That's a messed up list to choose from. I vote "other"
If there are some to be added, no problem. Will list list them. And Ill add Roethlisberger too since you include Eli (I just didnt think they had enough of a career yet).

Seriously?

With Eli having a brother that's even better than him, that eliminates his parents as the only people that would have voted for him in this poll.

Montana 1st Unitas 2nd... Montana has to be 1 as he went 4 for 4 in superbowls and was the most determined, cool headed qb in pressure packed games you could find.
It's easy to be cool headed when you're playing in an offensive system that's 15 years ahead of its time with a bunch of other hall of famers.

And for what it's worth, Joe Cool has his fair share of playoff stinkers as well.

Is there anyone in the universe who thinks either Eli Manning or Jim Plunkett is the 2nd best QB of the Superbowl era? Because if not, then who cares if they're not on the list?

Plunkett isn't even the second best RAIDERS QB of the Superbowl era (nor the third, either- Stabler, Gannon, and Lamonica). I'm not 100% sure that Eli is the 2nd best QB NAMED MANNING of the Superbowl era (at least old man Archie made an All Pro team).

It's easy to be cool headed when you're playing in an offensive system that's 15 years ahead of its time with a bunch of other hall of famers.

And for what it's worth, Joe Cool has his fair share of playoff stinkers as well.
Can you list all those HOFers?

:lol:

I voted for Steve Young. But really, Young, Unitas, Peyton, Brady, Elway, etc. would all be great picks.

Rice, Walsh and Young on offense. Lott and Dean on defense. I think its fair to say Montana had a serious advantage over Marino and Elway because of Rice and Walsh, but he would have been a HOFer without them.

Jeff Hostetler and Trent Dilfer made it to, and won, Super Bowls. Should they be on the list?

2 votes for Terry Bradshaw? Lol, "Shark Pool"

Blows my mind how little people know about NFL history relative to baseball history or other sports. And if someone comes in here saying "oh he only won those Super Bowls because of the defense" I'm going to lose my s***.

I believe it would be wise to list the quality's of a goat.

1) probably not a "game manager"

2) risk taker ex. when the QB heads to the sideline following a TD, and the Coach is belligerent (more or less puts it on the line and/or puts team on his back)

3) plays thru the pain ie. theres a reason the term franchise QB exists

4) Im pretty sure most should know the answer, but I will list some more hints How about yrs of play, which allows the team to have a true NFL franchise QB ride the pine (while the Goat works) or switches teams twice, making most people believe that he is QB' for the SB team.

note. Walsh formulated what has become popularly known as the West Coast Offense during his tenure as assistant coach for the Cincinnati Bengals from 1968 to 1975, while working under the tutelage of mentor Paul Brown. Bengals quarterback Virgil Carter would be the first player to successfully implement Walsh's system,[3] leading the NFL in pass completion percentage in 1971. Ken Anderson later replaced Carter as Cincinnati's starting QB, and was even more successful. In his 16-year career in the NFL, Anderson made four trips to the Pro Bowl, won four passing titles, was named NFL MVP in 1981, and set what was then the record for completion percentage in a single season in 1982 (70.66%). imo that's basically saying this Coach means sumpin for most QB's

Joe Flacco should be on the list. 5 consecutive years with a post-season win, and a Super Bowl MVP. And money in the bank.

Blows my mind how little people know about NFL history relative to baseball history or other sports. And if someone comes in here saying "oh he only won those Super Bowls because of the defense" I'm going to lose my s***.
You think Terry Bradshaw is the second greatest QB of all-time?

Rice, Walsh and Young on offense. Lott and Dean on defense. I think its fair to say Montana had a serious advantage over Marino and Elway because of Rice and Walsh, but he would have been a HOFer without them.
Montana won two Super Bowls before Rice showed up.

He's probably unaware that Bradshaw had a 1:1 career TD-to-INT ratio, and Bradshaw was so questionable for the first five years of his career that in that fifth season (the 1974 season) Bradshaw was beat out in preseason and Joe Gillam was the Steelers starting QB that season until he was yanked after six games due to drug use suspicion.Shaky credentials for the second best ever.

Jewell said:
BobbyLayne said:
meyerj31 said:

He's probably unaware that Bradshaw had a 1:1 career TD-to-INT ratio, and Bradshaw was so questionable for the first five years of his career that in that fifth season (the 1974 season) Bradshaw was beat out in preseason and Joe Gillam was the Steelers starting QB that season until he was yanked after six games due to drug use suspicion.Shaky credentials for the second best ever.
Plus he couldn't spell cat if you spotted him two of the letters.

CalBear said:
yetiknight said:
Just Win Baby said:
FreeBaGeL said:
T with T said:

Montana won two Super Bowls before Rice showed up.
Exactly....Montana was showing all the attributes that make him Goat before Rice. Won two Superbowls with and avg WR corp at best. I don't see how Young exactly was an advantage to have on the team for Montana either...smh.. As far as Walsh and the scheme.. So what? Every great need the right situation to max excel, but Montana was doing all the things he is famous for, ESP cool under pressure, in high school, college, and after Walsh.

Jewell said:
BobbyLayne said:
meyerj31 said:

Yea, let's quote stats in an era when:

1) 200 yards passing was considered a fantastic game. Why? Was it because they "weren't as good"? LOL.

2) OL couldn't use their hands to block.

3) Cornerbacks could more or less tackle WRs at the line of scrimmedge, and/or molest them downfield before the catch

Shocked at how little people appreciate the players before the modern era. Quoting stats makes you look stupid. Today is the stats game; 40 years ago stats did not define your play.

This thread is laughable without Bradshaw in the discussion for top 3 greatest quarterbacks of all time. You don't win 4 Super Bowls with an average QB and a good defense. You win 4 Super Bowls with one of the GOAT quarterbacks.

Montana was a great quarterback, but he was a QB after the 1978 Mel Blount rule, which freed up WRs down the field. If you put Bradshaw in today's game, in his prime, he would be dominant. He had one of the strongest & most accurate arms in the history of the sport and was one of the most clutch QBs of all time. Two of their Super Bowl wins came down to Bradshaw making plays in the second half to win the game.

One of my favorite quotes of all time is from Bradshaw: "You might lose with me, but you're not winning without me."

I look at these lists of greatest QBs, and I see Montana, Brady, Peyton, Marino, Young, etc... way down around 10 is Bradshaw and other QBs before the modern era. What a f*cking travesty. Do people actually believe that players were WORSE back then? The rules were different for QBs so they don't have the stats, but that doesn't make them any less stellar. Bart Starr, Unitas, Bradshaw not all in the top 10 (and higher than 8/9/10) is ridiculous.

Brady took david patten and troy brown to a title He took deion branch and david givens to another title. He took a team with a decrepit antowain smith and trow brown to another title. He took reche caldwell and guys worse than reche caldwell to a 20 point lead in an afc championship game. In his first year with moss and welker, he set numerous records with them and took them to another superbowl. He took gronk and hernandez to another superbowl. And now this season, he has somehow led this current team to two wins with kenbrell and dobson dropping everything, edelman averaging 5.3 yards per catch, ridley fumbling, and amendola hurt mid game.

Montana has one more ring, but one fewer conference championship, and he had jerry rice, not troy brown, for a lot of his career. Marino didn't have the receivers, but he didn't have the rings, and brady broke the record set by the guy who broke his record. Manning has gaudy regular season stats, but his postseason performances have been lacking. But as his contemporary, and the guy currently leading this poll, its worth mentioning that when brady finally got receiver on par with demaryius/decker, or with harrison/wayne/clark, he broke mannings own record.

Brady also holds the single season int record, is second on the single season yardage list, needs four more games with a td to set the consecutive games with a td list, helped welker set a receptions record, helped moss set the nfl wr record, and helped gronk set the te record.

Some of these quarterbacks were the beneficiary of years of playing with stud wrs. Others played with new offenses that the nfl had never seen before. Others had success in tougher passing eras, but didn't have great stats to show for it.

But what brady has done - with great wideouts, or no receivers at all, or with great defenses, or historically bad defenses, or with tight ends, or nothing much at tight end, and with very little speed except the moss year - he just keeps going. Five afc championships, with massively different teams. Three titles, including two superbowl mvps an a third that somehow went to deion branch. And at the start of each season, people write off the pats, saying they can't win with so little talent (2001 and 2003) or they can't win without branch (well, that turned out to be true), or they can't win without moss (2009), or they can't win with that defense (2011) and now, they can't win without welker, hernandez and co... yet there he is, year after year, taking this team deep and totally reinventing this team.

Other qbs have done impressive things, but you can play the what if game. What if manning didn't have stud receivers? We know what brady would have done with them, since he set nfl records the year he had them. Would marino have won a title with real receivers? Well, dupre and clayton aren't much worse than troy brown and david patten, and brady won a title with those guys. Would unitas have put up stats in todays era? I don't know, but bradys wins and titles in a larger league are at least as impressive. What if montana hadn't led the first west coast offense? Brady has changed offenses again and again, going from a so called game manager, to a mad bomber, to a tight end based scheme, to a no huddle offense, and now whatever they are this year. No other quarterback in history has had his kind of success in so many different situations, and with so little continuity around him.

Its easy to understand why someone would vote manning after his 7td performance, or vote against brady after his comparably anemic performance this week. And lots of teams hate new england for beating them over the years - oakland, to be sure, and the rams, colts, steelers, panthers, eagles, chargers, jets, dolphins, bills - fully a third of the league has good reason to hate the patriots for what they've done since brady became quarterback. But when history looks back at this era, they will remember tom brady as the greatest to ever play the game, bar none.

Shocked at how little people appreciate the players before the modern era. Quoting stats makes you look stupid. Today is the stats game; 40 years ago stats did not define your play.
LOLIt's funny how not conceding Terry Bradshaw as the greatest QB ever means that you don't appreciate players before the modern era. For the record, I would rank Otto Graham and not Joe Montana as the greatest ever.

It's convenient how you address the stats knock on Bradshaw, but the not the losing the starting job five years in knock.

And, yes, I agree that Bradshaw was in the end a great QB and Hall worthy. I just don't feel as strongly as you that he's the first or second best QB ever. To each their own, though.

Jewell said:
BobbyLayne said:
meyerj31 said:

1) 200 yards passing was considered a fantastic game. Why? Was it because they "weren't as good"? LOL.

3) Cornerbacks could more or less tackle WRs at the line of scrimmedge, and/or molest them downfield before the catch

This thread is laughable without Bradshaw in the discussion for top 3 greatest quarterbacks of all time. You don't win 4 Super Bowls with an average QB and a good defense. You win 4 Super Bowls with one of the GOAT quarterbacks.

Montana was a great quarterback, but he was a QB after the 1978 Mel Blount rule, which freed up WRs down the field. If you put Bradshaw in today's game, in his prime, he would be dominant. He had one of the strongest & most accurate arms in the history of the sport and was one of the most clutch QBs of all time. Two of their Super Bowl wins came down to Bradshaw making plays in the second half to win the game.

One of my favorite quotes of all time is from Bradshaw: "You might lose with me, but you're not winning without me."

I look at these lists of greatest QBs, and I see Montana, Brady, Peyton, Marino, Young, etc... way down around 10 is Bradshaw and other QBs before the modern era. What a f*cking travesty. Do people actually believe that players were WORSE back then? The rules were different for QBs so they don't have the stats, but that doesn't make them any less stellar. Bart Starr, Unitas, Bradshaw not all in the top 10 (and higher than 8/9/10) is ridiculous.
Since you are trying to account for the era in which they played I think you have to acknowledge that Unitas pretty much blows everyone else out of the water.

The problem with this is you had a guy (Unitas) putting up modern type numbers 20 years before Bradshaw even came around.

The other problem is that Bradshaw got to play (still in his prime, no less), after that 1978 Mel Blount rule you referenced and he was still a turnover machine with a completion percentage 10 points below Montana's at the same time.

ETA: And FWIW, I think it's crazy to not acknowledge that player's are generally better now than they were before. You have a much more popular league meaning a MUCH higher percentage of people wanting to grow up to play football (how many people that naturally had the talent never even bothered playing before?), and more importantly you have significantly better training, medicine, and understanding of the game than you did before. You have advanced stuff that was once relegated to only the top 1% of players like back shoulder passes being done with ease by mediocre high school quarterbacks in the modern world.

Bradshaw, to me, is like Troy Aikman (or Aikman was like Bradshaw, since Bradshaw was first): a very good QB that was on a historically great team, but not really a QB you saw and thought, "He is one of the best ever," like you did when you see Peyton, Brady, etc. play.

The problem with this is you had a guy (Unitas) putting up modern type numbers 20 years before Bradshaw even came around.

The other problem is that Bradshaw got to play (still in his prime, no less), after that 1978 Mel Blount rule you referenced and he was still a turnover machine with a completion percentage 10 points below Montana's at the same time.
Huh? Bradshaw won Super Bowls in 1979 and 1980. He didn't play well after that rule? LOL. It's not about having the best completion rates. You keep quoting stats; get off the stat bandwagon, already. In Brady's Super Bowl winning seasons he was barely in the top 10 for fantasy QBs. And perhaps one of the reasons he didn't win more was because Montana made his debut in the 1981 season and started winning rings.

And I never said Bradshaw was the GOAT - I said it's criminal not to include him in the top 3. I firmly believe that if you asked any of the guys that have covered the NFL for 40+ years, he would be on everyone's top 3 list.

When I think of GOAT - I want a guy that is going to win me the big game. According to my definition, Peyton in the top 5 is ridiculous. I don't care about a guy that can light up sh*tty defenses and be a fantasy star; I want a guy that's going to win me Super Bowls.

Bradshaw has arguably the most clutch playoff performances ever. Not just one; many, throughout his career, and none bigger than in the Super Bowls he played. Montana is the best, for sure. But Bradshaw is in the mix right after him. Brady probably rounds out the top 3 for me. He played exceptional in the two Super Bowl losses and could easily have five championships; the defense lost both of them on the last drives of the game.

Not all about completions and Bradshaw had played nearly a decade before that rule. I'm not surprised he didn't transition well at that stage in his career.

And I never said Bradshaw was the GOAT - I said it's criminal not to include him in the top 5. I firmly believe that if you asked any of the guys that have covered the NFL for 40+ years, he would be on everyone's top 3 list.

When I think of GOAT - I want a guy that is going to win me the big game. According to my definition, Peyton in the top 5 is ridiculous. I don't care about a guy that can light up sh*tty defenses and be a fantasy start; I want a guy that's going to win me Super Bowls.

Bradshaw has arguably the most clutch playoff performances ever. Not just one; many, throughout his career, and none bigger than in the Super Bowls he played.
You can believe it, but I doubt it is true.

If winning the big game is all that matters to you, do you rank Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Brad Johnson and Jim McMahon all ahead of Dan Marino?

I like the Group 1 / Group 2 setup.

I think you have to treat this like a draft. If you could pick an imaginary football team to draft for a new franchise and talking real football here not the fake FF variety, I'm taking:

Group 1:

Starr (almost no turnovers, ever)

Namath (suffered from Archie Manning syndrome, this guy needed a different HC, different system, better o-lines and he would have been 20 years ahead of his time) (imagine if he had played for Landry)

Staubach

Group 2:

Montana

Elway

Marino

Not all about completions and Bradshaw had played nearly a decade before that rule. I'm not surprised he didn't transition well at that stage in his career.

And I never said Bradshaw was the GOAT - I said it's criminal not to include him in the top 5. I firmly believe that if you asked any of the guys that have covered the NFL for 40+ years, he would be on everyone's top 3 list.

When I think of GOAT - I want a guy that is going to win me the big game. According to my definition, Peyton in the top 5 is ridiculous. I don't care about a guy that can light up sh*tty defenses and be a fantasy start; I want a guy that's going to win me Super Bowls.

Bradshaw has arguably the most clutch playoff performances ever. Not just one; many, throughout his career, and none bigger than in the Super Bowls he played.

If winning the big game is all that matters to you, do you rank Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Brad Johnson and Jim McMahon all ahead of Dan Marino?
Did any of those guys do it more than once? Bradshaw did it 4 times just in the Super Bowl, and countless others in those playoff runs. You're not making an argument here.

Did any of those guys do it more than once? Bradshaw did it 4 times just in the Super Bowl, and countless others in those playoff runs. You're not making an argument here.
I think maybe people remember the Terry that was flinging it to Lynn & Stallworth circa 78-79, not the 'can't spell cat' Terry who was regularly being threatened with benching due to play circa 71-74. And we're talking vs backups like Hanratty and Gilliam.

Your argument, like saying, " I firmly believe that if you asked any of the guys that have covered the NFL for 40+ years, he would be on everyone's top 3 list," is a lot of conjecture. Also, you do realize that Super Bowls are team accomplishments, right? The first season the Steelers won a Super Bowl with Bradshaw, he threw more INTs than TDs.

Okay, different question: Do you rate Troy Aikman higher than Dan Marino?

Huh? Bradshaw won Super Bowls in 1979 and 1980. He didn't play well after that rule? LOL. It's not about having the best completion rates. You keep quoting stats; get off the stat bandwagon, already. In Brady's Super Bowl winning seasons he was barely in the top 10 for fantasy QBs. And perhaps one of the reasons he didn't win more was because Montana made his debut in the 1981 season and started winning rings.

And I never said Bradshaw was the GOAT - I said it's criminal not to include him in the top 3. I firmly believe that if you asked any of the guys that have covered the NFL for 40+ years, he would be on everyone's top 3 list.

When I think of GOAT - I want a guy that is going to win me the big game. According to my definition, Peyton in the top 5 is ridiculous. I don't care about a guy that can light up sh*tty defenses and be a fantasy star; I want a guy that's going to win me Super Bowls.

Bradshaw has arguably the most clutch playoff performances ever. Not just one; many, throughout his career, and none bigger than in the Super Bowls he played. Montana is the best, for sure. But Bradshaw is in the mix right after him. Brady probably rounds out the top 3 for me. He played exceptional in the two Super Bowl losses and could easily have five championships; the defense lost both of them on the last drives of the game.
You're moving the goalposts here. I was responding to your point that it's not fair to compare Bradshaw's stats to Montana because Bradshaw played pre-1978. Bradshaw also played after 1978 and his stats still weren't very good.

He was completing 51% of his passes for 3,300 yards with 24 TDs and 22 INTs while some guy named Brian Sipe was completing 61% of his passes for 4,100 yards with 30 TDs and 14 INTs.

Heck, Johnny Unitas was throwing for 3,000 yards with 32 TDs in only 12 games all the way back in 1953.

It was harder to put up "modern" numbers back then, but several guys did it and Bradshaw was never one of them, even after the Mel Blount rule which you implied changed the whole game.

So if the Immaculate Reception was called correctly, Bradshaw would have been a worse QB?

So if the Immaculate Reception was called correctly, Bradshaw would have been a worse QB?
Really even if you think it was called correctly it was still a lousy throw to Fuqua.

You're moving the goalposts here. I was responding to your point that it's not fair to compare Bradshaw's stats to Montana because Bradshaw played pre-1978. Bradshaw also played after 1978 and his stats still weren't very good.

He was completing 51% of his passes for 3,300 yards with 24 TDs and 22 INTs while some guy named Brian Sipe was completing 61% of his passes for 4,100 yards with 30 TDs and 14 INTs.

Heck, Johnny Unitas was throwing for 3,000 yards with 32 TDs in only 12 games all the way back in 1953.

It was harder to put up "modern" numbers back then, but several guys did it and Bradshaw was never one of them, even after the Mel Blount rule which you implied changed the whole game.
Take 1973 - the Steelers under Bradshaw had the highest interception % in the league.

A good defense? Maybe one of the best defenses ever

Users who are viewing this thread