What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brian Hoyer, LV (1 Viewer)

Dismattle

Footballguy
J Gordon back from susp

Thoughts?

<title edited by FBG Mod to help with searching>

Last edited by a moderator:
Second thought is how hilarious it would be if Hoyer Wally Pipped the mediocre Weeden.

ETA - in all seriousness, this has the look of a complete train wreck. But sometimes backups come out of nowhere and have a ton of success. We've all seen it before.

I know nothing about hoyer? What's his deal? Is he a gamer? Anything to worry about if you are starting minny d? I'd feel much better if it were jason Campbell. He's a turnover machine .

any thoughts on how Cameron might be affected? often times rookies will lean on the TE. I don't know Hoyer much at all though.

Might have to bench TRich for Moreno this week? TRich will still be the focal point of the offense and having Gordon back will hopefully keep the D from loading the box with 8 man fronts. But, I'm still hesitant about starting him.

Are people really thinking this may be worse than the alternatives?

Your Browns are no better or worse than they were 2 weeks ago.

This isn't an endorsement of Browns players but...the Vikings defense isn't the one you're thinking about from a couple years back. It's not very good.

I know nothing about hoyer? What's his deal? Is he a gamer? Anything to worry about if you are starting minny d? I'd feel much better if it were jason Campbell. He's a turnover machine .
in college I thought he was a little less than Cousins was as a starter. Was more of a game manager

any thoughts on how Cameron might be affected? often times rookies will lean on the TE. I don't know Hoyer much at all though.
Hoyer's not a rookie. Was Brady's backup for awhile in NE, before being replaced by Mallet last year. Never got much play there. Picked up by ARI late last year, played in their last 2 games, started Week 17 (19-34-225-1-1). It's his 5th year in the league. I would describe him as a smart QB with a weak arm. Think Colt McCoy. Sorry, Browns fans.

Good for Trent / Cameron / Bess in PPR, as he will play if safe and check it down. Expect 20-30 rushes for Trent, too. Not good for Gordon (or Cameron's ydg totals) compared to Weeden, and not any great boon for MIN D compared to Campbell/Weeden. Campbell especially would be a turnover machine. I'd expect fewer turnovers but fewer yards. I don't see how there could be fewer points.

If he does well, he could keep this job. As it's obvious they like him more than Campbell, and they definitely aren't sold on Weeden.

In his game vs SF with the Cardinals last year, Michael Floyd had a coming out party and put up 8 rec's with 166 yds and a TD.

I don't think this is a death knell for the main receiving options of Gordon and Cameron.

I liked him a lot in NE. When he played, which was pretty much just the preseason. I liked him better than Cassel too. I don't think there's going to be a drop off from Weeden at all.

But, I might be a little on the bias side.

In his game vs SF with the Cardinals last year, Michael Floyd had a coming out party and put up 8 rec's with 166 yds and a TD.

I don't think this is a death knell for the main receiving options of Gordon and Cameron.
Good point and all I know is the Browns are making a choice. While we can wonder who would have been better between the two backups they saw enough of Campbell to make a choice to go with Hoyer so it's not like he's their only option.

Personally I think it's good news for everyone but Vikings defense. My biggest beef with Campbell is he's one of the slowest QB's I've ever seen going through his progressions. Could be because the poor guy has had so many offensive coordinators he's just got so much in his head he can't think quickly but the end result is he just does not get the ball out quick enough. For fantasy purposes this is the worst kind of QB. I'll take an inferior armed QB all day who is willing to get the ball out and give his receivers a chance to make a play.

I always have a concern about defenses trying to game plan against a QB they have little film on. A lot of times these out - of - nowhere guys surprise for a couple of games before opponents figure out what looks they have trouble with.

I don't know how much tape on Hoyer is out there, if he played much in the preseason, etc. But I'd be more confident with the Minnesota D against the better known Campbell.

Good point and all I know is the Browns are making a choice. While we can wonder who would have been better between the two backups they saw enough of Campbell to make a choice to go with Hoyer so it's not like he's their only option.

Personally I think it's good news for everyone but Vikings defense. My biggest beef with Campbell is he's one of the slowest QB's I've ever seen going through his progressions. Could be because the poor guy has had so many offensive coordinators he's just got so much in his head he can't think quickly but the end result is he just does not get the ball out quick enough. For fantasy purposes this is the worst kind of QB. I'll take an inferior armed QB all day who is willing to get the ball out and give his receivers a chance to make a play.
And according to the local beat reporter, this is the reason you are seeing Hoyer this week. Campbell, from preseason to today, has not made the quick reads necessary to make this offense go, Hoyer has.

I always have a concern about defenses trying to game plan against a QB they have little film on. A lot of times these out - of - nowhere guys surprise for a couple of games before opponents figure out what looks they have trouble with.

I don't know how much tape on Hoyer is out there, if he played much in the preseason, etc. But I'd be more confident with the Minnesota D against the better known Campbell.
I think the only competitive game tape is from Arizona last year.

Andy Dufresne said:
This isn't an endorsement of Browns players but...the Vikings defense isn't the one you're thinking about from a couple years back. It's not very good.
I doubt it's at the level it once was, but I think it's still pretty decent.

cle at home is a little different than det on the road

just last year they were around 10th best in most production/play stats, with cook out half the year, and 5th in sacks.

harrison smith and josh robinson are in their second years, now, they added floyd and rhodes in the draft, and they just got kevin williams back last week for half the game.

edit: although, erin henderson is probably kind of weak in the middle, so maybe that's good news for richardson

Users who are viewing this thread