What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Goldbergs - TV Show on ABC (1 Viewer)

Insein

Footballguy
Didn't see a thread but this is one of the better new shows. A cross between your standard sitcom and a feel good time piece. Kind of like Wonder Years meets Malcolm in the Middle. My wife has been watching it and it caught my interest.

Based near Philly in the 80's, it details how Adam F. Goldberg (not the famous actor one) grew up in a bizarre time. I liked it initially for the Flyers and Eagles references but it's a pretty good show regardless.

Anyone else watching?

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoy it. Love how much it obviously draws from his actual childhood. The old video clips at the end are awesome.

I like it, but it certainly isn't groundbreakingly funny. I agree with the others who said the actually home video clips at the end are the best part.

Barry is by far my favorite character. He is awesome as that "I don't realize how big of a dork I actually am but I'm the big brother so I'm going to torment my little brother for being a dork" character.

Watched the pilot, and that was it. Very annoying. All they did was yell while talking........ horrible

Watched the pilot, and that was it. Very annoying. All they did was yell while talking........ horrible
I think that's actually part of what makes it funny. It seems so over the top ridiculous and fake, and then you see the real home video of his family and you realize that the whole thing is pretty much dead on.

I really enjoy the show. There are so many different parts of the show I can relate to every week.

The my only issue is not with the show but rather people who don't watch it. They all say "Why would I watch a Jewish show?". So far, I can't think of one episode where religion was an element of the show (unless tonight was a Holiday episode). I know their last name is Goldberg but that's a stupid reason to make an assumption of what the show is about.

I really enjoy the show. There are so many different parts of the show I can relate to every week.

The my only issue is not with the show but rather people who don't watch it. They all say "Why would I watch a Jewish show?". So far, I can't think of one episode where religion was an element of the show (unless tonight was a Holiday episode). I know their last name is Goldberg but that's a stupid reason to make an assumption of what the show is about.
Man who says that? That's one of the dumbest reasons not to watch it especially since that has almost zero to do with the show.

Man who says that? That's one of the dumbest reasons not to watch it especially since that has almost zero to do with the show.
Stupid co-workers and friends who don't even realize they are being borderline racist with those comments.

I don't think of them as Jewish so much as caricatures of both the time and place. I went to college in the '80s with a guy from Willow Grove PA, and having spent time with his family, this is a close replica.

I really enjoy this show. Growing up in that era with the styles and seeing the old Nintendo brings back a lot of memories. Man we are getting old when we say that.

I love this show. All the references to my childhood are fun to see. Jeff Garlins delivery is so good too. He nails the "my family is a pain in my rear" father with the hint of obligatory discipline and parenting.

Interesting thing I read. Adam Goldberg didn't actually have a sister but had 2 older brothers. They thought a sister dynamic added more to the show so they made his older brother his sister. His real older brother is Eric. The sister on the show is Erica. I sure he felt some redemption doing that for all the crap his older brother put him though when they were growing up.

I love this show. All the references to my childhood are fun to see. Jeff Garlins delivery is so good too. He nails the "my family is a pain in my rear" father with the hint of obligatory discipline and parenting.

Interesting thing I read. Adam Goldberg didn't actually have a sister but had 2 older brothers. They thought a sister dynamic added more to the show so they made his older brother his sister. His real older brother is Eric. The sister on the show is Erica. I sure he felt some redemption doing that for all the crap his older brother put him though when they were growing up.
Plus it gives them an excuse to put a young cutie in their show.

I want to be exactly like the dad. Roam the house in my underwear and yelling at my moron kids. He is my new idol.

I think the biggest problem with the show is that its on Tuesdays. I feel like it should be airing after The Middle. Back in the Game was already canceled so I don't see why it can't move in that spot.

GroveDiesel said:
Seriously, I love this show. It's hilarious and yet has a sweetness to it.
:goodposting: daughter and I were :lmao: at many scenes.. Our favorite part is at the end when they show real life footage that this show is based on :lmao:

Hands down, one of my favorite new shows ! The 80's references are hysterical...

Brother is fantastic. The scenes at the race track were great.

Mother is funny...The one a couple weeks ago when she was shopping on store discount was great...Fiddle Faddle !

Father walking around in tightly-whiteys is priceless comedy.

I like the show a lot, but I feel like the actor playing the brother is trying too hard. It's like he's moving his mouth too much or something when he talks.

I think the biggest problem with the show is that its on Tuesdays. I feel like it should be airing after The Middle. Back in the Game was already canceled so I don't see why it can't move in that spot.
I don't watch anything live anymore pretty much with the dvr. I don't even know what night a lot of my shows are on usually.

I don't watch anything live anymore pretty much with the dvr. I don't even know what night a lot of my shows are on usually.
Yea but shows are renewed or canceled based on live watching. I also mostly watch the dvr too..

Yea but shows are renewed or canceled based on live watching. I also mostly watch the dvr too..
You would think they could track ratings by how many people record the show now.

You would think they could track ratings by how many people record the show now.
They do but people fast forward through commercials thus making those ratings not as important to advertising.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Copeman said:
The mom is kinda hot. :oldunsure:
would bang

had good roles on reno 911 and bridesmaids
Love her role here.. But whenever I see her I recall her role in Rules of Engagement.

Her character in that show was so repulsive that I still have a hard time seeing her as "doable" :X

Last edited by a moderator:
Copeman said:
would bang

Love her role here.. But whenever I see her I recall her role in Rules of Engagement.

Her character in that show was so repulsive that I still have a hard time seeing her as "doable" :X
That just shows how good of an actress she must be. Her character on Rules was annoying.

Favorite new show this year for me. Missed the first 4 episodes. I've looked but haven't seen any place online to watch them. Any ideas?

Copeman said:
would bang

That just shows how good of an actress she must be. Her character on Rules was annoying.
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread