What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antone Smith Hype Train (1 Viewer)

Gvindy

Footballguy
The more I look at this guys measurables I like him. I figured I would start the hype train now, if there was a Rainey Trainey a few months ago why not?

I know he's only had what 3 carries so far, but looks explosive and strong. Now ATL coach Mike Smith said it is "imperative" they get him more playing time. I just picked him up in a deep keeper league. Sounds like a juiced up explosive Darren Sproles mini back, or pocket hercules. Any interesting insight to add?

Smith was ranked as the top running back recruit in the country and the number 25 player overall by Rivals.com in 2008. He was a Parade All-American, the Palm Beach County Player of the Year, the Old Spice National Player of the Year, and was voted as Mr. Football for the state of Florida. Smith was voted the MVPof the Nike Camp and while there recorded an extremely fast 40-yard dash time of 4.25. He played in the CalFlorida Bowl and was named the offensive MVP.

FSU stats: Averaged 10.1 yards per carry and 15 TD in his Senior year!

Combine

40 yd dash: 4.32

3 cone dril: 6.90

Bench: 31 reps

Vert: 32 inches

Last edited by a moderator:
Read some stuff on a Falcons blog about how fans have wanted to see him more involved for a while now. Apparently he's a special teams whiz and has popped in preseason before.

The times you posted are impressive, but he's also been in the league 4 years and has 4 carries to his name.

He's 28. I'd like for one of the stat nerds to come in here and identify a single running back in history who began to get work at the end of a season at age 28 and went on to be productive. Just one.

He's 28. I'd like for one of the stat nerds to come in here and identify a single running back in history who began to get work at the end of a season at age 28 and went on to be productive. Just one.
Closest I can come up with is that Priest Holmes went on his KC tear at age 28. He however did have a 1k season at age 25.

If this guy does perform when given the shot, it tells a lot about the ATL coaching staff. Can you say clueless?

How about Lamont Jordan there's a name for you. He obviously had more carries his first four years than Smith but I believe it was his fifth year that he broke out. Now it doesn't fit the late-season criteria you mentioned but I thought that was an interesting name.

Thing for me is he's so little. 5'9" 190lbs after several years in the league... he's not getting any bigger.

I think he'll see 5-8 touches maybe on Thursday night. After that, who knows... let's see how he produces I suppose.

Suppose the size isn't automatically damning - Warrick Dunn was 5'9" 180 lbs; Charlie Garner was 5'10" 190lbs.

Will say I thought the 38 yard run on his second touch was more impressive than the TD, where he basically just outran guys.

Just scooped him in my main dynasty. Had to dump Pitta for him so no big loss really. Don't know much about him except what I've read in this thread. Crazier things have happened.

I got him because my running back depth stinks and if he's given a shot he'll be my top backup over Gerhart, and handcuff Dennis Johnson (Tate owner).

I got him because my running back depth stinks and if he's given a shot he'll be my top backup over Gerhart, and handcuff Dennis Johnson (Tate owner).
Yes, you seem to be just the kind of owner I wanted to keep him away from. :gang2:

Right now he's a lottery ticket. ATL is currently without a #1RB for 2014. He has as good a shot as anyone at this point.

Yes, you seem to be just the kind of owner I wanted to keep him away from. :gang2:

Right now he's a lottery ticket. ATL is currently without a #1RB for 2014. He has as good a shot as anyone at this point.
I mean... maybe. I'd wait until we see something in 2013 before going that far. ANYTHING could happen for 2014 though, I suppose.

I picked the dude up for free in 8/9 dynasties. Its all about seeing who can catch fire late and maybe parlay that into more PT the following season. Gotta constantly churn the roster enough to find those diamonds. Did the same last year with Ivory.

Anyone rolling with this sly, yet fast, cat tonight? I'm in a super deep league and it's him or Jacquizz. Have D. Murray and Spiller (bye) and BenJarvus (bye) for those keeping track.

Not surprisingly, coach Mike Smith is pondering more lineup changes after shaking things up against the Buccaneers. He moved center Peter Konz to guard, then yanked him from the game after he struggled at the new position. Also, rookie Zeke Motta took over for free safety Thomas DeCoud, a Pro Bowler last season who hasn't come close to matching that level of play.

"The snap count will change," Smith said after practice. "There are some guys that deserve the opportunity to go out and play. They've been working extremely hard. We will let those guys that have had some production in limited snaps have an opportunity to go out and take more significant snaps."

Anyone rolling with this sly, yet fast, cat tonight? I'm in a super deep league and it's him or Jacquizz. Have D. Murray and Spiller (bye) and BenJarvus (bye) for those keeping track.
I am. Got Shady on a bye, and naturally McFadden is out hurt.

Fred Jackson
Nope, he was 26.

Rocky Bleier
Digging in the vaults for that one.

Fred Jackson
Nope, he was 26.

Rocky Bleier
Fred Jackson was 28 when he had his first 1000 yard when he was 28. Almost doubling his previous best season.

Fred Jackson
Nope, he was 26.

Rocky Bleier
Fred Jackson was 28 when he had his first 1000 yard when he was 28. Almost doubling his previous best season.
True, but he flashed his talent at 26. Antone Smith "flashed" on 2 carries in a game where ATL gave up. Antone Smith isn't the next Fred Jackson.

It doesn't happen until it happens.

Odds are against it for sure.

Picked him up in one league, no chance he starts as long as Charles and AD are healthy.

Fred Jackson had almost 250 career touches before he was 28. Smith had 1. Not saying it's impossible for him to break out, just that the Jackson comparison isn't really a good one.

broke tackles like a beast on that first run
....and only run. I guess 11 yards is too much....too dominate....for Mike Smith and crew. You can't bring out a guy that has been sitting on your bench all year and watch him bust off huge runs while shucking off 300lb D-linemen.

broke tackles like a beast on that first run
....and only run. I guess 11 yards is too much....too dominate....for Mike Smith and crew. You can't bring out a guy that has been sitting on your bench all year and watch him bust off huge runs while shucking off 300lb D-linemen.
Yeah, I suppose they have to get some use out of that big contract SJax signed. But I figure by week 14 maybe they will be ready for his beastliness.

Worth holding if you have the bench space, but this is a very crowded backfield right now. Maybe they give him extended look around week 14,15, at least I hope!

For dynasty purposes, you always have to look at the contract info before trying to speculate on the future of a crowded backfield.

Steven Jackson is signed through 2015 and, if he was somehow cut, would bring a cap hit of over $4 million. He's not going anywhere. (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/steven-jackson/)

Jacquizz Rodgers is signed through 2014 on his rookie deal. He'll be 25 at the start of the 2015 season. (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/jacquizz-rodgers/)

Jason Snelling is signed through 2014. He'll be 31 at the start of the 2015 season. (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/jason-snelling/)

Antone Smith is also signed through 2014. He'll be a couple weeks away from being 30 at the start of the 2015 season. (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/antone-smith/)

The way I see it, ATL has to choose between resigning Rodgers or Smith...Snelling is almost guaranteed to be gone. Smith has been with the team since 2009 and has been used almost exclusively as a special teams guy. ATL will already have one aging veteran in their backfield, so the most likely scenario is that they resign Rodgers and pick up another RB in the draft that they can use on special teams and hopefully develop into another backfield presence. It's possible that they use Smith a little bit next year, like what they see and opt to give him a 1-year deal for 2015, but with a lead back that will be well past his prime by the time 2015 rolls around, they'll probably go with getting younger through the draft or UDFA. It's not like ATL didn't know what they had...the guy's been on their roster for 4 years. You could go with the optimistic approach and hope he has a breakout season next year, but I'd be looking to deal him if he has a big game and let someone else play the lottery with him.

Another big TD run for him!

Man did he look explosive on that play too! Jackson is hitting the wall... yea, he had a good performance, but everyone has one every once in awhile, no matter who you are. They keep talking about getting Smith more chances. When he's got the ball, hes definitely made the most of it!!! almost 30 YPC on the year :P lol 5 runs 145 yds I believe. 2 TDs!!!

Why not give him a try? I don't get the NFL sometimes.

Another big TD run for him!

Man did he look explosive on that play too! Jackson is hitting the wall... yea, he had a good performance, but everyone has one every once in awhile, no matter who you are. They keep talking about getting Smith more chances. When he's got the ball, hes definitely made the most of it!!! almost 30 YPC on the year :P lol 5 runs 145 yds I believe. 2 TDs!!!

Why not give him a try? I don't get the NFL sometimes.
Once again embarrassing the coaching staff with his explosiveness. Next drive, one scrawny 6 yard catch on 2nd and 20. So hours later they sent him on a deep out (40 yard pass) along the sidelines. Nice high percentage play. Of course he didn't catch it although he almost did. That was when Smith and Koetter said to each other ''we knew he wasn't any good'.

He's a RB, he shouldn't be worrying about catching 40 yard passes lol!

They have Julio/Roddy/Gonzo for that. (Outisde injury)

Why does word keep coming out they're going to be giving him more touches then he gets 1 per game, and runs for a long TD .? I guess it does help that their record sucks this year, and are out of playoffs. I know they have the mentality "how we end the season is how we will be looked at going into next year" instead of trying out their options to foresee what they have moving into the future., like us who are holding onto Antone hoping he pops off.

Wouldn't they save money giving him the rock over Jaquizz or Snelling?? (Meaning if they sign him over them?)

Was just trolling around for deep dynasty pick ups, and Antone Smith came to mind. A few quotes from August 9th in this article:

The Atlanta Falcons running back once again showed his big-play ability in Friday night's 16-10 win over the Miami Dolphins, even if the stat sheet doesn't reflect it. Smith had a 76-yard touchdown sprint in the second quarter called back due to a holding penalty on rookie right tackle Jake Matthews. Smith also had a 34-yard catch-and-run wiped out by an illegal formation whistled on receiver Harry Douglas.

Smith sure has the attention of coach Mike Smith.

"Antone had some very explosive plays," Smith said. "Antone's a guy that can do some things when we get the ball in his hands. So, I would imagine we want to make that we have a game plan that will help him get some touches [and] to put him in advantageous situations.
Anything to see here? I also read somewhere that their rookie, Devonta Freeman, hasn't been up to par on blocking. Could Smith work his way into playing time here?

Was just trolling around for deep dynasty pick ups, and Antone Smith came to mind. A few quotes from August 9th in this article:

The Atlanta Falcons running back once again showed his big-play ability in Friday night's 16-10 win over the Miami Dolphins, even if the stat sheet doesn't reflect it. Smith had a 76-yard touchdown sprint in the second quarter called back due to a holding penalty on rookie right tackle Jake Matthews. Smith also had a 34-yard catch-and-run wiped out by an illegal formation whistled on receiver Harry Douglas.

Smith sure has the attention of coach Mike Smith.

"Antone had some very explosive plays," Smith said. "Antone's a guy that can do some things when we get the ball in his hands. So, I would imagine we want to make that we have a game plan that will help him get some touches [and] to put him in advantageous situations.
Anything to see here? I also read somewhere that their rookie, Devonta Freeman, hasn't been up to par on blocking. Could Smith work his way into playing time here?
Well, I guess that answers that question: He's absolutely worked his way into playing time.

The object of the game is to score touchdowns. I dont care if he is 3'5" and 100 pounds, he seems to be good at getting the ball in the end zone from anywhere on the field and has been doing it for nearly a year now.

The object is to actually BE on the field to score TDs. His opportunity is far too limited right now.
HA, no.......

I mean if I were Mike Smith I'd be partial to a guy who puts the oblong ball over the goal-line...not if I were Joe Fantasy Owner.

I gotta wonder what it's like to be Antone. All he does is turn little runs and screens into 60 yard touchdowns, yet everybody tells him he's not big enough or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread