What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Godzilla THREAD*** (1 Viewer)

Usual21

Footballguy
New trailer for the remake coming out next year. Looks like the nailed it and we can forget about that atrocious attempt at a remake from years ago.

Godzilla

If Gareth Edwards has characters drive the film like he did in his excellent indie flick "Monsters" rather than CGI mayhem, this will be worth seeing, G-fan or not.

Bryan Cranston said a big reason he signed on for this was his read of the script and the focus on the human characters. Great sign.

If Gareth Edwards has characters drive the film like he did in his excellent indie flick "Monsters" rather than CGI mayhem, this will be worth seeing, G-fan or not.

Bryan Cranston said a big reason he signed on for this was his read of the script and the focus on the human characters. Great sign.
Maybe. I thought Godzilla was the star, though. Not overly interested in the human characters, but will keep an open mind. But really, please stay away from a love story, a buddy story, or anything like that. I don't care.

Really hope they go back to the radioactive breath.

jwb said:
pats3in4 said:

Maybe. I thought Godzilla was the star, though. Not overly interested in the human characters, but will keep an open mind. But really, please stay away from a love story, a buddy story, or anything like that. I don't care.

Really hope they go back to the radioactive breath.
Leaks from a toy fair said that the toy Godzilla had Atomic Breath.

The scream/roar at the end was perfect.

Seriously. If you want human characters, watch the Pianist or the English Patient, or some ####. This is freaking Godzilla. It better be 2 hours of people and cities being devoured at will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to this. Seems like they are trying to make this into a serious movie. But come on, its Godzilla.

I'm excited for this movie. I'm not really expecting Oscar caliber performances, but I want to see a good Godzilla story. I happened to see the first trailer at a drive-in, and it was amazing.

My wife and son are pumped for it. We are Godzilla fans in the Todem household (great horror and sci fi fans in general as well as cheesy but good monster movies).

Looks like they will right the wrong known as Godzilla 1998 (dear god what a POS movie that was).

badmojo1006 said:
This is one of my favorite movies, and I don't mean just Godzilla movies. This is one of the best unintentionally funny movies from that era, before Toho simply threw in the towel on the bulk of their later entries. Nick Adams and his "You rats! You dirty stinkin' rats! What did you do to her?!?" kills me every time. Taking Godzilla and Rodan to Planet X in big bubbles...what the? The aliens referring to themselves as "The controller of Planet X" and such...yeah, sure you also call your own world "Planet X". Yet despite all the fromage, Toho tried hard and also put a lot of money into this one. The Planet X exterior with Jupiter hovering over the monster battle was well done for the '60s. The special effects with the trucks emitting the a-cycle beam to disrupt the aliens' control over the monsters was also good for the time. Akira Ifukube's score is one of his best for all of the Godzilla movies he did. Even the overall story was entertaining, despite being full of holes.

This is '60s B-movie making at its best.

badmojo1006 said:
This is one of my favorite movies, and I don't mean just Godzilla movies. This is one of the best unintentionally funny movies from that era, before Toho simply threw in the towel on the bulk of their later entries. Nick Adams and his "You rats! You dirty stinkin' rats! What did you do to her?!?" kills me every time. Taking Godzilla and Rodan to Planet X in big bubbles...what the? The aliens referring to themselves as "The controller of Planet X" and such...yeah, sure you also call your own world "Planet X". Yet despite all the fromage, Toho tried hard and also put a lot of money into this one. The Planet X exterior with Jupiter hovering over the monster battle was well done for the '60s. The special effects with the trucks emitting the a-cycle beam to disrupt the aliens' control over the monsters was also good for the time. Akira Ifukube's score is one of his best for all of the Godzilla movies he did. Even the overall story was entertaining, despite being full of holes.

I had forgot about Godzilla dancing the Irish Jig. I was :lmao: :lmao:

Yes, Nick Adams was classic

badmojo1006 said:

I had forgot about Godzilla dancing the Irish Jig. I was :lmao: :lmao:

Yes, Nick Adams was classic
This movie and Nick Adams' performance even merited a cartoon parody.

So rodan is in this?
Not officially. Toho didn't license the rights to other monsters.
ok but a pterodactyl is clearly in the previews. Doesnt matter what name the monster has.
That's what happens when you get too big for your britches. They just call some other schmozilla.

The performance won't be as nuanced but they will save millions and most won't even notice.

Ask any big rock group that replaced their drummer and went on.

So rodan is in this?
Not officially. Toho didn't license the rights to other monsters.
ok but a pterodactyl is clearly in the previews. Doesnt matter what name the monster has.
That's what happens when you get too big for your britches. They just call some other schmozilla.

The performance won't be as nuanced but they will save millions and most won't even notice.

Ask any big rock group that replaced their drummer and went on.
Like, say...Blue Oyster Cult?

Looking forward to this. Seems like they are trying to make this into a serious movie. But come on, its Godzilla.
It was interesting interview with Edwards where he said the very first Godzilla movie out of Japan was a serious flick and not the campy movies everyone knows and loves. And he wanted to get back to that. The original was technically about Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear attacks, but because the filmmakers we're not allowed to tell the true nuclear bomb stories, they came up with Japanese cities being destroyed by Godzilla and the radiation aftermath.

Billy Bats said:
It was interesting interview with Edwards where he said the very first Godzilla movie out of Japan was a serious flick and not the campy movies everyone knows and loves. And he wanted to get back to that. The original was technically about Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear attacks, but because the filmmakers we're not allowed to tell the true nuclear bomb stories, they came up with Japanese cities being destroyed by Godzilla and the radiation aftermath.
The original Japanese version, "Gojira", is a strong allegory to the nuclear attacks in WWII as well as a Japanese fishing boat doused with radiation from an atomic test in the Pacific in the early 1950s. When the movie was recut for American audiences (with Raymond Burr) and retitled, "Godzilla, King of the Monsters", a lot of that was removed or softened. A few years back "Gojira" was released on DVD in the USA with English subtitles. If you want to see what Edwards is trying to revisit with his remake, go rent that. It is a lot darker than the Americanized Burr version.

Billy Bats said:
The original Japanese version, "Gojira", is a strong allegory to the nuclear attacks in WWII as well as a Japanese fishing boat doused with radiation from an atomic test in the Pacific in the early 1950s. When the movie was recut for American audiences (with Raymond Burr) and retitled, "Godzilla, King of the Monsters", a lot of that was removed or softened. A few years back "Gojira" was released on DVD in the USA with English subtitles. If you want to see what Edwards is trying to revisit with his remake, go rent that. It is a lot darker than the Americanized Burr version.
Never heard that backstory on the original movie before and found in interesting, thanks for the added detail.

Godzilla was more an obvious statement against nuclear testing and against using the bomb again. His breath is radiation not fire. The Japanese version is far superior in character development, storyline, and message. The US version was a dumbed down monster movie. Rent Gojira or see it on Netflix.

It was a serious commentary on the environment and the nuclear attacks on Japan from the beginning.

Will be going to see this Saturday. Going to hit an early matinee. I really like that they are taking Godzilla back from the B movies and making a serious film again.

Users who are viewing this thread