What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2014 World Champions San Francisco Giants Thread (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
The Giants are coming off a 76-86 season and needed a good September to avoid the NL West cellar. A dropoff in pitching was the biggest reasons. Even though they were better than league average in runs allowed, their adjusted ERA+ was dead last in the National League. Their offense was surprisingly good when AT&T Park effects are factored in. Posey and Pence were both solid and Brandon Belt put up the quietest breakout year imaginable.

They're a pretty big spending club. Even though the Dodgers' payroll is $75M/yr. higher, the Giants outspend their other divisional rivals by around $50M each. The Zito albatross is finally off the books with one final $7M buyout. They've locked in Posey, Cain, Pence and Bumgarner through at least 2017. Pence's 5/$90M seemed like an overpay at the time but looks better in the context of the Choo and Ellsbury contract.

Some apologists will blame injuries for the 2013 collapse but I'm not buying. Cain and Vogelsong missed time but the Giants still got 118 starts from their top four starters. But outside of Bumgarner, they just weren't that good. The bullpen took a similar step back from their Championship season. Scutaro struggled through some injuries but you need a plan B when you have a 37 year old in the lineup. Angel Pagan was the biggest loss because it really exposed the lack of OF talent in the organization.

GM-for-life Brian Sabean apparently still hasn't figured out free agency. You don't have to resign your own players and you can sign guys from other teams. The former include Pence, Vogelsong, Javier Lopez (3/$13M) and Lincecum (2/$35M). I've talked about Pence already. Vogelsong was terrible last year and is 36 years old but I guess 1/$5M is market rate for bad, old starters. Lopez is an overpay but has been effective in his role. Salaries for low inning relievers seems really insane to me. I don't think the Lincecum deal can be explained in baseball terms, there must be some advanced economic analysis that says he's worth that much to the bottom line. Or else, maybe Sabean is just clueless.

New faces include old face Tim Hudson in the rotation and Mike Morse allegedly in the outfield. I don't hate either deal but ask me again in May. Hudson (2/$23M) has been consistently good since the Clinton administration and Morse (1/$6M) moves Gregor Blanco back to a less important role. Morse promises some homers, strikeouts and defensive comedy and it's good to see any new player. I think they still need another OF but I don't have two World Series rings.

The minor league cupboard is pretty bare. Heath Hembree should help in the pen but their young starters are a year or two away. Catcher Andrew Susac had a fine year in AA and if all goes well, could revive Posey to 3B discussion in 2016. Gary Brown should finally reach the majors this year but nobody is particulary excited any more except his family.

Offseason questions:
1. Can Lincecum, Hudson and Vogelsong provide above average pitching in 2014?
2. Will Sandoval roll out the door in free agency?
3. Do Brandons Belt and Crawford have any remaining upside?
4. How bad an OF can Morse possibly be?
5. Can Pagan stay in the lineup?
6. Will Pence relax now that he has his big contract?
7. Is there enough talent and magic around to overcome the Dodgers' fat wallet and the Diamondbacks' curious transactions?

8. Do we need to worry about San Diego and Colorado since the Giants finished a lot closer to them in 2013?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. No.

2. No. Sabean is the king of Keeping The Band Together.

3. No.

4. Real, real bad.

5. Possible.

6. Sure!

7. D-backs, possible. Towers' moves the last couple of years border on gross negligence. But their chances of getting past LA are remote. At best.

8. Out of the playoffs is out of the playoffs.

Good Posting Judge said:
1. No.

2. No. Sabean is the king of Keeping The Band Together.

3. No.

4. Real, real bad.

5. Possible.

6. Sure!

7. D-backs, possible. Towers' moves the last couple of years border on gross negligence. But their chances of getting past LA are remote. At best.

8. Out of the playoffs is out of the playoffs.
Tend to agree on most although I don't think Pence has any speed other than all out.

Lincecum, and Hudson are as critical to the team's success as anybody. Hudson is an uncertainty coming back from injury and Timmy is a different set of questions every time he takes the mound.

Sandoval is a dilemma for the organization. I think his days are numbered at 3B. He's got decent defensive tools but his girth is a huge limitation. Belt's emergence makes a Panda move to 1B less of an option. With this being the Giants, of course there are no 3B prospects anywhere near ready. I'd like to see Posey move to 3B opening C up for Sanchez and Susac but Buster reportedly isn't happy with that idea. Hopefully Sandoval will be motivated by his contract year and won't eat Venezuela before reporting. A compensation pick in 2015 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Sandoval claims to have dropped 42 pounds over the off-season. That ought to put him at around 250.

Great initial writeup. Whatever happened to Brian Sabean, wonder boy? How quickly things can turn in one season.

Lincecum's devolution was something I always expected due to the crazy mechanics but he still shows flashes. Not sure about the contract.

Who's setting up Romo? Casilla?

Scutaro and Affeldt to start the year on the DL. Bochy says Crawford will sit against some LHP.

Morse in the OF is going to be an adventure.

What's up with Bumgarner WHIP? Walks look OK but giving up a ton of hits, his stuff just flat? I haven't seen him much live this season.

What's up with Bumgarner WHIP? Walks look OK but giving up a ton of hits, his stuff just flat? I haven't seen him much live this season.
BABIP is over .400 and he had one start where the home plate ump was really pinching him.

He is leading the club in OPS though.

Most of you couldn't receive PMs, so I edited an old post to keep this message discrete.  No need to reply to it publicly and bump it to the top of the baseball forum.  I wanted to apologize for the things I said on this forum.  Perhaps none of you took anything I said personally, but there is no question I was way out of line.  I am working on not being such a ####.  I wanted to make amends if I actually did offend anyone.  There is so much other crap to focus on now instead of spending time being a #### to people over something trivial like sports.  Feel free to PM me if you feel like anything else needs to be directly said to me or let me know if I missed someone that should have been included in my list.  Good luck to all of your teams this season.  :thumbup:

@Limp Ditka

@Bruce Dickinson

@Northern Voice

@Cliff Clavin

@Doctor Detroit

@Bobcat10

@TobiasFunke

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumgarner

Peavy

Hudson

Vogelsong

A team with that starting rotation in the postseason won the World Series. :tebow:

Bumgarner

Peavy

Hudson

Vogelsong

A team with that starting rotation in the postseason won the World Series. :tebow:
Do the Giants win in 5 with Cain healthy? Amazing they did it without him.
They don't get near the playoffs without Peavy. He was excellent after the trade.
Sure, just would have been nice to roll out Cain in one of the last couple games, who has a pretty nice postseason record as well.

Bumgarner

Peavy

Hudson

Vogelsong

Do the Giants win in 5 with Cain healthy? Amazing they did it without him.
They don't get near the playoffs without Peavy. He was excellent after the trade.
Likewise, Hudson was unhittable at the start of the season and a major part of their early success.

The rotation seems set for 2015 even without Peavy or Vogelsong returning

Bumgarner

Cain

Hudson

Petit

Lincecum :scared:

Kyle Crick still has major command issues. Both he and Clayton Blackburn look at least a year away. Tyler Beede could also be in the mix by then, which coincides with the end of the two Tims' contracts.

There are enough question marks in the prospective front five that some depth would be good. I wouldn't be shocked if they brought back Vogelsong again. Replacement level guys who can give you six innings are useful and he's a more reliable option than Lincecum.

Peavy isn't eligibile for the qualifying offer. I expect some team will offer Peavy more than I think he's worth. Hopefully it won't be SF. He's still a quality starter and was as big a reason as anyone why they were able to right the ship going into September. I am concerned about his age and injury risk and think the Giants should have other free agent priorities.

Eephus said:

Bumgarner

Cain

Hudson

Petit

Kyle Crick still has major command issues. Both he and Clayton Blackburn look at least a year away. Tyler Beede could also be in the mix by then, which coincides with the end of the two Tims' contracts.

There are enough question marks in the prospective front five that some depth would be good. I wouldn't be shocked if they brought back Vogelsong again. Replacement level guys who can give you six innings are useful and he's a more reliable option than Lincecum.

Peavy isn't eligibile for the qualifying offer. I expect some team will offer Peavy more than I think he's worth. Hopefully it won't be SF. He's still a quality starter and was as big a reason as anyone why they were able to right the ship going into September. I am concerned about his age and injury risk and think the Giants should have other free agent priorities.
They're not a poor team, I'd assume they're not going to necessarily rely on Lincecum being in the rotation?

Righetti and Co. unlocked Peavy and got months of quality out of him, but towards the end there he was reverting back into a pumpkin.

OTOH, Sabean. :shrug:

Eephus said:

Bumgarner

Cain

Hudson

Petit

They're not a poor team, I'd assume they're not going to necessarily rely on Lincecum being in the rotation?

Righetti and Co. unlocked Peavy and got months of quality out of him, but towards the end there he was reverting back into a pumpkin.

I don't know how much credit Sabean deserves individually but the organization he leads assembled three different world champion teams around a small core group of mostly home-grown players. Some of his moves are headscratchers and some resemble just throwing #### against the wall but they've done an all-around good job of acquiring and developing talent.

There's an alternatve universe where Dan Uggla somehow managed to eek out a bloop single during his brief trial and stayed on the roster all season. But in this universe, the Giants came to their collective senses and dumped Uggla quickly, clearing the way for Joe Panik to dive and flip the ball to Crawford with his glove hand.

Eephus said:

Bumgarner

Cain

Hudson

Petit

I don't know how much credit Sabean deserves individually but the organization he leads assembled three different world champion teams around a small core group of mostly home-grown players. Some of his moves are headscratchers and some resemble just throwing #### against the wall but they've done an all-around good job of acquiring and developing talent.

There's an alternatve universe where Dan Uggla somehow managed to eek out a bloop single during his brief trial and stayed on the roster all season. But in this universe, the Giants came to their collective senses and dumped Uggla quickly, clearing the way for Joe Panik to dive and flip the ball to Crawford with his glove hand.
I realize I'm in the vast minority, but I don't consider spending the 2nd most money in the NL to have the 4th best team in the NL to be a successful year. The Doyers somehow winning the WS wouldn't have made Colletti a good GM either, although it likely would've saved his job.

Eephus said:

Bumgarner

Cain

Hudson

Petit

I realize I'm in the vast minority, but I don't consider spending the 2nd most money in the NL to have the 4th best team in the NL to be a successful year. The Doyers somehow winning the WS wouldn't have made Colletti a good GM either, although it likely would've saved his job.
Ruben Amaro Jr spent the 2nd most money for the 12th best record and lowered the curve for every other GM.

A championship season pretty much defines success, regardless of the financial aspects.

Eephus said:

Bumgarner

Cain

Hudson

Petit

Ruben Amaro Jr spent the 2nd most money for the 12th best record and lowered the curve for every other GM.

A championship season pretty much defines success, regardless of the financial aspects.
I am going to truly be sad on the day that Ruben Amaro is no longer the GM of an MLB team.

Let me rephrase: I don't think having the 4th best team in the NL with the 2nd highest payroll is indicative of the front office having done a good job. George W. Bush became the President of the US, but it wasn't because he was particularly good at anything, he was lucky and born into the perfect set of circumstances.

I was pretty much resigned to the idea that Sandoval was leaving. I think there was still some resentment about the Giants' low-ball extension offered earlier this year plus the idea of the Panda exploring new eucalyptus pastures.

But I am bummed about Tim Flannery retiring. He seemed like a true mensch.

I was pretty much resigned to the idea that Sandoval was leaving. I think there was still some resentment about the Giants' low-ball extension offered earlier this year plus the idea of the Panda exploring new eucalyptus pastures.

I'm pretty bummed about both of them, although I suppose Sandoval relieves the annual worry about how overweight he will be to start the season. Doesn't appear that money was the issue with Pablo, but it leaves the Giants with a big hole to fill.

Any validity to these Lester rumors?

Dickies said:
Eephus said:

I'm pretty bummed about both of them, although I suppose Sandoval relieves the annual worry about how overweight he will be to start the season. Doesn't appear that money was the issue with Pablo, but it leaves the Giants with a big hole to fill.
He seemed to really enjoy playing with this team, so it did kind of surprise me that he'd want to go to Boston of all places for the same amount of money. Maybe he figures that with the DH available (once Ortiz retires at least) nobody will care how many extra lbs he puts on.

Dickies said:
Eephus said:

He seemed to really enjoy playing with this team, so it did kind of surprise me that he'd want to go to Boston of all places for the same amount of money. Maybe he figures that with the DH available (once Ortiz retires at least) nobody will care how many extra lbs he puts on.
No idea why he would be interested in DHing. He's been a much better fielder than a hitter the past few seasons, IMHO

Eephus said:
Every Cubs fan of a certain age remembers Tim Flannery as the San Diego Padres player who hit the weak grounder that went through Leon Durham's legs in Game 5 of the 1984 Division Series.

The Giants made two selections in the Triple-A phase of the Rule 5 draft, taking Brett Jackson from the Arizona Diamondbacks’ organization and right-hander Ramon Del Orbe of the Miami Marlins’ organization.Jackson is another former Cal player, the 31st overall pick of the 2009 draft by Chicago, who has played 51 big-league games but spent most of the past three seasons at Triple-A. Assistant general manager Bobby Evans said the Giants scouted Jackson "heavily" while the outfielder was at Cal, and that: "He gives us depth at Triple-A, and an opportunity to spend time with him and see what we can do to help make adjustments that will continue to advance his career.

Del Orbe, 22, is more of a project. The right-hander from the Dominican Republic spent last season in A-ball, and Evans said he presents "a solid fastball, a decent changeup and command that we want to see improve.
Sorry Brett JacKKKKKKKKson, I am for real

Just saw a stat on Lincecum, his numbers with Sanchez...kinda good.

Talk me off taking a flier on this guy...

5.18/1.47

4.37/1.31

4.74/1.39

... Oh, and the fastball velocity is officially under 90 MPH now.

5.18/1.47

4.37/1.31

4.74/1.39

... Oh, and the fastball velocity is officially under 90 MPH now.
Love the guy. He's one of my favorite pitchers ever but I wouldn't want him on my fantasy team.

With Hudson hurt, Timmy is pretty much of a lock to open the season in the rotation. His leash has to be shorter than in past years. I'm hoping for the best but not expecting much.

Yeah I think he's toast as a starter. Ideally I guess you give him another shot, see if he has anything left, and if he gets killed you move him out and for a returning Hudson or Petit and make him a 17mm middle reliever.

That contract extension was...not good.

I don't have the link on my phone but apparently Panda lit all his former teammates on the Giants on fire in an interview with the Boston media. Guess that explains it.

Lou Bochy is a jagoff.

Hey Belt! Sit for three days since you're having problems with LHPs, but here's Kershaw

Users who are viewing this thread