What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

roto or head-to-head? (1 Viewer)

Fariq

Footballguy
Rotisserie can be exceedingly boring. Head-to-head can be really unfair, however. You can dominate the regular season (one time won 21 matchups and tied once, got a bye and then had a loss in the 2nd round to the 6th seed) and suffer a close, freaky loss to a .500 team.

I played both formats in 2013, but kind of got bummed out about both. I want to play again in 2014, but I am not sure about the format.

What format do you like more and why?

I like to play both formats for the reasons you stated, there is no perfect format, variety wins.

I actually played only one season of fantasy baseball and it was roto style. Even though it was a large enough buy in to really care and my team was competitive, it was like watching paint dry.

I'd be interested in a head to head league but won't ever do roto again, personally. Fair or not, I just couldn't get excited to watch games hoping for a few hits that barely mean anything in the overall scheme of things.

you don't actually have to watch the games koya
That's a huge part of the fun. I don't mean sitting at home watching a 3 hour bore fest, but watching sportscenter or keeps an eye on an few games while out at the bar. With roto it's just SLLLOOOOOWWW

Last edited by a moderator:
Roto is boring. I prefer h2h. There's luck involved. Just like fantasy football which we all love.
This exactly why fantasy football sucks.
Yeah. H2H baseball is better because there are more weeks and there are more games within those weeks to decide a winner. I have never seen anyone in my leagues complain about luck in 22-week regular seasons. The complaints only appear in the postseason when a 1 or 2 seed loses to a .500-type team. The solution might be a 12, 14 or 16 team league with only 4 playoff spots.

Roto is just flat better. Minimizing the luck increases the importance of skill. You also have less need for a balanced roster in H2H. Infact, its often best to punt multiple categories in H2H.

1 roto and 1 h2h for me in 2014.

I am looking to start a keeper roto league. I will do h2h as redraft. Roto is more boring, no doubt, but it is also more challenging.

1 roto and 1 h2h for me in 2014.

I am looking to start a keeper roto league. I will do h2h as redraft. Roto is more boring, no doubt, but it is also more challenging.
roto is a marathon, true grind it out competition. You can make some serious mistakes in the draft, but manufacture numbers throughout the season with enough effort. You could also nail the draft and lose if you set it and forget it too much.

I like H2H points because it's more fun to see my guy hit a 3 run bomb and collect 8 points instead of thinking hey I might be 6th in HR's now and 4th in RBI. But that's just me.

And the rivalries are fun among friends too. There's way more interaction between the league with H2H.

Roto is a closer approximation of the six month long baseball season. H2H is more like fantasy football. Personally, I like baseball.

I've played in a lot of leagues, used to do 5-6 per year. I much prefer either Roto or total points for the year. I also prefer daily lineups in roto. With points I could live with either daily or weekly lineups.

so it has been decided that we are moving to a H2H roto with daily lineups. transactions capped at 50 for the year ( I have averaged close to 100 the past two years).

any particular strategies for this type of league?

I am picking 9th. knowing my league, it will probably go pretty stsndard trout, Cabrera, mccutch, Kershaw, Goldy. I'm hoping cano falls to me at 9, but I am doubtful.

who do y'all like at 9 andc 16?

Personally I think roto is better for a volume accumulation format like baseball. Football is better H-2-H. I play in a daily format which is higher maintenance but keeps it more interesting I think. Roto can be fun when oddball desperation strategies can be implemented. 2 years ago my pitching was bad and I was last in wins and next to last in Ks and earned runs. My hittimg stats weren't bad. So with about a month and a half I concocted the goofiest strategy ever and basically streamed 3 starting pitchers every single day - basically punting the already lost cause of earned runs and trying to rack up Ks and Ws while trying to mind the ratios when possible. Wasnt enough to win it all but I did net about 10 extra standings points :)

-QG

the moops said:
so it has been decided that we are moving to a H2H roto with daily lineups. transactions capped at 50 for the year ( I have averaged close to 100 the past two years).

I am picking 9th. knowing my league, it will probably go pretty stsndard trout, Cabrera, mccutch, Kershaw, Goldy. I'm hoping cano falls to me at 9, but I am doubtful.

Not the same format (12 category roto) but I happened to pick at 9 and 16 and ended up with Cano/Fielder for my first two guys.

-QG

the moops said:

beg and plead for faab instead of transactions limits. I am in one head to head with weekly transaction limits, which is tolerable, but full season? Ugh, sounds miserable.

I agree about the no pitchers part - didn't consider them at all at 9 and 16. Obviously Kershaw is the exception as I would totally have snatched him up at #9.

-QG

I agree about the no pitchers part - didn't consider them at all at 9 and 16. Obviously Kershaw is the exception as I would totally have snatched him up at #9.

-QG
i wouldn't, but I am also bat heavy in my team building. Kershaw is great but I can win pitching being cheap. Get one in the first six or seven rounds, two in the first ten or so, and get three closers before they are all picked. Depends league to league hat else I will do.

With there in general MAC and it's pretty much what I did in my draft. I just really think Kershaw is exceptional.

-QG

the moops said:

beg and plead for faab instead of transactions limits. I am in one head to head with weekly transaction limits, which is tolerable, but full season? Ugh, sounds miserable.
I was in a roto league in 2013 with no FAAB and a 30-move limit. It was miserable.

we removed AVG and HR, and replaced them with OBP and Total Bases
Does that lessen the Adam Dunn's of the world even further and do you like them categories better?
While HR to total bases hurts him, no player in baseball benefits more from changing AVG to OBP than Adam Dunn.

In his prime, he was a liability in AVG but an asset in OBP. Now he's so bad in AVG that if you draft him you pretty much punt that category, but his OBP isn't nearly as painful.

the moops said:

Not the same format (12 category roto) but I happened to pick at 9 and 16 and ended up with Cano/Fielder for my first two guys.-QG
I would be ecstatic getting cano/fielder from the 9 spot.

How late can I wait on SP in a H2H league? I'm thinking of going hitting until round 7 or 8, then loading up on SP in those middle rounds.

the moops said:
How late can I wait on SP in a H2H league? I'm thinking of going hitting until round 7 or 8, then loading up on SP in those middle rounds.
Depends on a lot more than that. Got a draftthis wweekend. Head to head points league. Nine pitchers, fifteen bats, six bench. I will probably have my lineup filled before round twenty. Won't take a starter in the top 100. Never do. Waivers are absolutely barren offensively in season, but if darts miss two start pitchers are regularly available.

Users who are viewing this thread