What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blake Bortles - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

cstu

Footballguy
He doesn't seem to have a really strong arm and I don't think his accuracy is all that great. Worst of all is his slow release, which IMO is going to result in a lot of sacks, fumbles and INT's.

I'll give him that he has got the size and shows good leadership and pocket presence, but I don't understand him being considering a top 5 by nearly everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
The NFL is a QB-driven league and somebody has to be in those spots and there are a lot of teams in the top of this draft that SUCK the suck at the QB position.

Supply and Demand. Doesn't mean he is John Elway so throw out the stats and measureables. THis is about need and availability, as it is almost every year at the position and sometimes you get Wedden and Sanchez and sometimes you get Newton and Wilson.

I think much of the hype has to do with his coming on the scene recently, versus a Bridgewater or Manziel...the masses have not had an opportunity poke holes in his game, and he offers something the other two do not...size.

I think much of the hype has to do with his coming on the scene recently, versus a Bridgewater or Manziel...the masses have not had an opportunity poke holes in his game, and he offers something the other two do not...size.
Size or not, he looks like a bust waiting to happen.

Bridgewater was 6 foot 2 and 1/8, Bortles was 6 foot 5. Bridgewater might be thin, but it is not as if he is a midget.

Bridgewater was 6 foot 2 and 1/8, Bortles was 6 foot 5. Bridgewater might be thin, but it is not as if he is a midget.
Size includes weight. Bortles weighs over 20 pounds more. His game and size comp is being compared to Big Ben.

How do Bridgewater and Bortles compare? Box score scouting between the two is relatively easy, given that the two played in the same conference and played seven common opponents (Florida International, Temple, Rutgers, South Florida, Connecticut, Houston and Memphis). Below is the statistical breakdown from their games against those shared opponents:

Bortles

131-197, 66%, 1828 yards, 9.3 y/a, 12 TD, 3 INT

Bridgewater

154-219, 70%, 1925 yards, 8.8 y/a, 13 TD, 2 INT

taken from this article:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/1/30/5363344/blake-bortles-vs-teddy-bridgewater-the-case-for-the-first-overall-pick

It's a simple matter of neither of the other QBs looking like franchise guys while the teams drafting on top need QBs.

The smart move IMO is for all of the top teams to either trade down (unlikely) or take other positions (also unlikely). The team(s) that are willing to not take a QB will show that they will improve faster IMO.

It's a simple matter of neither of the other QBs looking like franchise guys while the teams drafting on top need QBs.

The smart move IMO is for all of the top teams to either trade down (unlikely) or take other positions (also unlikely). The team(s) that are willing to not take a QB will show that they will improve faster IMO.
I disagree. The teams that suck that need a QB won't get any better until they get a QB. Very few teams succeed in the NFL without good to great QB play.

I disagree. The teams that suck that need a QB won't get any better until they get a QB. Very few teams succeed in the NFL without good to great QB play.
Sure. Now show me one in this draft that's so much better than a guy they could get in the 2nd.

He doesn't seem to have a really strong arm and I don't think his accuracy is all that great. Worst of all is his slow release, which IMO is going to result in a lot of sacks, fumbles and INT's.

I'll give him that he has got the size and shows good leadership and pocket presence, but I don't understand him being considering a top 5 by nearly everyone.
he has a really hot girlfriend?I don't know, I don't get it either.

Rotoworld:

UCF QB Blake Bortles is "receiving high marks" for combine interviews, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.
"Several people I spoke with feel that’s only going to get better during pro-day and individual workouts when teams have the opportunity to sit down and challenge him on the chalk board," Pauline wrote on Tuesday. Pauline added that "Bortles shouldered much of the decision making in the UCF offense" which should help his cause moving forward.

Source: TFY Draft Insider

he has a really hot girlfriend?I don't know, I don't get it either.
Blake Bortles: Teams asked about girlfriend at NFL Combine

Sure. Now show me one in this draft that's so much better than a guy they could get in the 2nd.
When QB needy teams have top picks they're inclined to take their guy at the QB position early instead of waiting to the 2nd round where you let every other NFL GM dictate who will be available.

I think his family made Bortles & Jaymes wine coolers. So he has that going for him.

To be quite honest he looks like a decent prospect in a great situation. There isn't an elite QB prospect in this draft. So he's going to get drafted pretty high. I think if he goes to a team with a decent coaching staff, you have to like his chances.

I'd put Bridgewater and, to a lesser extend, Bortles as SIGNIFICANTLY better than Carr and the group with him.

CBSSports and NFLDraftScout.com scouting report:

QB Blake Bortles

Overview

Bortles set Seminole County records with 5,576 career passing yards and 53 touchdowns at Oviedo high school in Oviedo, Fla. The MVP of the Central Florida All-Star Game, he chose to stay close to home and play for the Knights with some programs considering him a potential tight end recruit.

He quickly proved to be a standout quarterback prospect. After redshirting his first year on campus, Bortles earned Conference USA All-Freshman Team quarterback honors while posting a passer rating of 153.9 while appearing in 10 games in 2011.

As a sophomore, Bortles was a second-team All-C-USA pick, starting all 14 games and finishing with 3,059 yards, 25 touchdowns, just seven interceptions, a 62.9 completion percentage and a 144.48 rating. He also rushed for 285 yards and eight touchdowns.

Bortles popped up on many peoples' radars with an outstanding effort in an upset bid against South Carolina at the end of September that fell short. He later led a major upset of BCS contender Louisville, which proved to be the Cardinals' lone loss of the 2013 season.

Ultimately, the South Carolina loss was the only one suffered by Bortles in 2013, as UCF finished 15th in the BCS standings and earned a trip to the Fiesta Bowl, where it upset heavily-favored Baylor on New Year's Day, 52-42.

Bortles was named a first-team All-American Conference selection and named the league's Offensive Player of the Year.

With his strapping frame and success in a pro-style offense, no quarterback captured the attention of the scouting community over the final month of the college football season like Bortles.

What scouts saw in UCF's marathon victory over Baylor was a young quarterback with intriguing traits but whose technique may require a bit more polish before heading to the NFL.

He was given a second-round grade for the 2014 NFL Draft by the NFL Advisory Committee, according to Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage.

Analysis

STRENGTHS: Good height and a NFL-build. Very athletic mover and picks up chunks of yards with his legs. Anticipates pressure and uses his mobility to move the pocket. Quick feet with very good pocket footwork and maneuverability.

Climbs well and keeps his eyes downfield. Good set up and delivery with a balanced base and quick eyes to survey his reads and take what is there. Terrific peripheral vision and feel to see the entire field. Above average poise and accuracy under pressure. Efficient decisions and always under control of the situation.

Smooth release with good zip and the arm strength to get away with off-balance throws. Very good rhythm and timing from snap to delivery and won't shy from tight windows with his confident arm. Tough, hard-nosed ballcarrier and delivers well on the run.

Strong competitor and exudes toughness, leadership and confidence. Coachable with a high football IQ - game comes natural to him. Hard worker on and off the field and already prepares like a pro. Very alert and observant. Recorded 71 career touchdowns (56 passing, 15 rushing) and a .815 winning percentage as a starter (22-5 career record).

WEAKNESSES: Can make every throw, but lacks elite arm strength. Ball placement has room for improvement and his touch is undeveloped. Throwing mechanics have room for refinement. Doesn't always step into his throws and will sometimes deliver with his momentum falling away from his target.

Needs to learn how to better use his eyes to hold defenders - will too often lead defensive backs to the intended target. Not afraid to take chances, but too many risky throws.

Room to improve his spatial awareness from inside the pocket. Deep accuracy is a work-in-progress. Ball security when scrambling has room for improvement.

COMPARES TO: Mix of Andrew Luck (Colts) and Jake Locker (Titans) - Bortles has the arm strength and delivery that is reminiscent of Luck and also the mobility and some of the inconsistencies of Locker. Bortles projects to the NFL somewhere in the middle of those two players.

--Dane Brugler (1/8/14)

I'd put Bridgewater and, to a lesser extend, Bortles as SIGNIFICANTLY better than Carr and the group with him.
I like Bridgewater far more than Bortles, to me they are not remotely comparable. Bortles has an advantage running the ball but I don't believe he'll be nearly as successful in the NFL doing it.

Ok, contrarily, he's being rated as a possible Top-5 (or top 10) pick for a few reasons, right?

NFL GM's are considering him in that range just because the crop is weak and they're desperate? That shouldn't be enough.

Ok, contrarily, he's being rated as a possible Top-5 (or top 10) pick for a few reasons, right?

NFL GM's are considering him in that range just because the crop is weak and they're desperate? That shouldn't be enough.
Sure teams are desperate, but every mock has the Texans taking Bortles with questionable reasoning behind. He's big, great, but you don't draft a guy #1 because he's big and maybe you can turn him into an NFL QB.

If Bridgewater was 2 inches taller and 20 lbs. heavier then Bortles wouldn't even be in the conversation. Even Manziel makes more sense than Bortles.

Sure teams are desperate, but every mock has the Texans taking Bortles with questionable reasoning behind. He's big, great, but you don't draft a guy #1 because he's big and maybe you can turn him into an NFL QB.

If Bridgewater was 2 inches taller and 20 lbs. heavier then Bortles wouldn't even be in the conversation. Even Manziel makes more sense than Bortles.
To be fair, if Teddy was those dimensions, he would have been right next to Luck and RG3, in recent memory, as sure-fire franchise QBs.

Are they? There was discussion last year about Geno Smith being a high first rounder. Ended up going in the 2nd. Media pundits projections do not equal NFL GM's evaluations.

He sort of reminds me of Dante Culpepper except without the big arm or any of the other awesomeness. So I don't see how his stock has risen into the top 5 overall. Yet this happens every year at the QB position. If a team really needs a QB, they have to convince themselves of all the good reasons to take the homely girl to the prom. Bortles has a good heart and interviews well, so that should be enough apparently to vault him into the top 5 from the second round where he belongs.

Teams will draft a guy like this in the top 10 because missing on your QB is less costly now. Less $, throw them in year 1, give them a couple years. Also, because of the rules changes that favor the passing game, you actually elevate the average QBs into potential SB QBs (Flacco, Wilson, Big Ben, Eli). Those guys are not elite passers, but because it's easier to pass relative to 20 years ago, you can win with a slightly above average QB.

We will see more QBs in the 1st round than there used to be, and continue to see decent rookies come in and win games with great organizations. The truly elite passers (Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers) are an expensive luxury.

I don't get the love at all either.

Last year there was some that were saying Ryan Nassib was going to go in the first round. I see Bortless as a taller Ryan Nassib.

I agree with the OP. I don't get all of the love. He kinda reminds me of Mike Glennon. I think he''ll be a decent NFL starter eventually but I don't get a Top 10 pick. I think Bridgewater has a much higher ceiling. Manziel, too, although Manziel also has a much lower floor than either of them.

I admit I only saw a couple of games of his but I didn't see him moving thru his progressions and I didn't see him look safeties off either. It looked like he had a lot of predetermined throws and if that wasn't open he'd lock onto that side of the field and try to fit a pass in.

NFL.com Scouting report:

Blake Bortles
Fumbled nine times as a junior
Compared to just two for Bridgewater.
Yeah this is what I was talking about.

WeaknessesCould stand to hasten his setup and polish his footwork (deteriorates under duress). Could stand to shorten his release -- wraps the ball slightly at the beginning of his windup. Too much effort in his delivery to generate slightly above-average arm strength. Operated in an offense where he made a lot of one-look reads. Does not spin spirals consistently -- too many throws come out with loose wobble (could struggle to cut the wind in blustery conditions). Ordinary deep-ball thrower. Tends to throw off his back foot when pressured (affects accuracy). Works heavily out of the gun -- will have to adapt to snaps under center and deep drops. Operates a dink-and-dunk offense which inflates his completion percentage. Fumbled nine times as a junior and could improve ball handling/security. Play dropped off against Ohio State in 2012 and South Carolina in '13 and wiill require time to adjust to the closing speed of NFL defensive backs. Is just a two-year starter and can improve his understanding of the game.

Teams will draft a guy like this in the top 10 because missing on your QB is less costly now.
tell that to the front office and coaching staff that gets fired for getting the qb wrong.
It's less bad now than it used to be.
what coaching staff's and front office's are still around after getting their first round qb wrong? Chris Spielman and...?
I don't know about you, but I don't root for front offices or GM's. I root for teams. So yes, getting a first-round quarterback wrong will still put a GM's job in jeopardy, but it does not hold the franchise hostage for years financially like it used to.

mr roboto said:
MAC_32 said:
mr roboto said:
MAC_32 said:
mr roboto said:
Teams will draft a guy like this in the top 10 because missing on your QB is less costly now.
tell that to the front office and coaching staff that gets fired for getting the qb wrong.
what coaching staff's and front office's are still around after getting their first round qb wrong? Chris Spielman and...?
I don't know about you, but I don't root for front offices or GM's. I root for teams. So yes, getting a first-round quarterback wrong will still put a GM's job in jeopardy, but it does not hold the franchise hostage for years financially like it used to.
I think the point is that the people making the decisions that determine where this guy will get drafted aren't eager to take big risks in the top 10 with their jobs on the line...

mr roboto said:
MAC_32 said:
mr roboto said:
MAC_32 said:
mr roboto said:
I think the point is that the people making the decisions that determine where this guy will get drafted aren't eager to take big risks in the top 10 with their jobs on the line...
you think well.

i think its all a smokescreen to try and land Bridgewater. In my opinion, i think there are only 2 rookie qbs I want on my squad early, Bridgwater and whomever Houston drafts.

i think its all a smokescreen to try and land Bridgewater. In my opinion, i think there are only 2 rookie qbs I want on my squad early, Bridgwater and whomever Houston drafts.
i have Bridgewater penciled in my teams, just need to figure out if I need to pull the trigger at 9 or wait til 12. Figure Manziel will bet aken first, so whether he goes before 9 or not will make up my mind.

Im drafting Bridgewater earlier than most unless he end up in Jax. Ill draft Bortles if he goes to Houston. I expect to have to draft Teddy a full 2 to 3 rounds earlier than Bortles if either goes to Houston.

Im drafting Bridgewater earlier than most unless he end up in Jax. Ill draft Bortles if he goes to Houston. I expect to have to draft Teddy a full 2 to 3 rounds earlier than Bortles if either goes to Houston.
I'd be more open minded about jax, I like Gus.

Users who are viewing this thread