What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Bishop Sankey - Best RB in the 2014 Draft (1 Viewer)

Brewtown

Footballguy
I read an article today that quoted new Washington Huskies coach Chris Peterson talking about Bishop Sankey. It quoted him saying the following : "Bishop Sankey was tremendous. You put that tape on and study him, its like, wow. He has tremendous vision. We played against him twice and we thought the world of him."

In watching Sankey the past two years the following comes to mind:

GREAT VISION
NORTH/SOUTH RUNNER
GREAT BURST
SPEED
TOUGH RUNNER
GREAT CUTTING ABILITY
WILL BE A GOOD ONE CUT RUNNER
GREAT HANDS
ATHLETICISM
DOESN'T GO DOWN EASY
A NOSE FOR THE END ZONE

He is an every down back that had great production in a great conference versus big-time competition and he lit up the combine. He is very talented and he is going to play a huge role on some teams offense for many years.

I think that he is the best and most complete running back to come out of the NCAA in the last two years, and is the best running back in this years draft.

<title edited by FBG Mod to help with searching>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I don't know man. He does remind me of MJD though. He was in my Top 10 pre-combine rankings; I don't see any team willing to give this guy the full load.

Yeah, I don't know man. He does remind me of MJD though. He was in my Top 10 pre-combine rankings; I don't see any team willing to give this guy the full load.
Could be a problem because there are coaches out there that think someone his size cannot handle it. The smart ones know that his size can handle a full load. He's the size of Preist Holmes.

Yea I'm not sold on him. Pre-combine I had him at #8, but then he obviously blew it up and looked pretty good so I moved him up a bit. Just from watching him I'm simply not a full believer but there are some nice things I do like. There are still at least 3 RB's (maybe 5, haven't fully figured it out yet) I would rather draft myself. Obviously his combine has either proved his talent to those who loved him and stayed in the top spots for them or he has moved up other peoples boards because of it, like I did.

I frankly don't know what to do with my 2nd tier, which has Sankey in it.

Sankey ranked 5th out of the 5 RBs that Greg Peshek looked at in terms of broken tackles & yards after contact.

YAC Btk% Player
3.48 7.92% Hyde
2.93 8.59% Hill
2.89 8.33% Seastrunk
2.78 6.19% Mason
2.45 4.56% Sankey

If we also include the 5 other RBs that Peshek looked at midseason (Gordon, Andrews, Andre Williams, Carey, and Grice), then Sankey is 9th out of 10 (ahead of only Grice).

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah sees shades of a former first-round pick when he watches tape of Washington RB Bishop Sankey.

Jeremiah tweeted Sunday that Buccaneers RB Doug Martin, the 31st overall pick in 2012, and Sankey have similar running styles.

That's a comparison Sankey will likely welcome, and whatever NFL team drafts Sankey would be thrilled if he made anywhere close to the impact Martin did as a rookie, when he rushed for 1,454 yards and 11 touchdowns and made 49 catches for 472 yards and a TD as a workhorse back for the Bucs. Martin played in just six games last season before being placed on injured reserve with a torn labrum in his left shoulder, but he's still considered among the league's top backs.

NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock ranks Sankey as the top back in this year's draft, but even the most highly rated backs aren't guaranteed a spot in the first round. No backs were selected in the first round in 2013, and it's conceivable that a back won't come off the board until Round Two again this year.

At No. 27, Ohio State's Carlos Hyde is the highest-ranked running back on NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah's list of the draft's top 50 prospects. The only other back on the list is Auburn's Tre Mason (No. 46).

The Browns, who were in the market for a RB after trading Trent Richardson last season, just filled that need with the signing of Ben Tate, so they will likely look elsewhere with the pick they received from the Colts in the Richardson trade (No. 26 overall), which is a spot where taking one of the top backs might have made sense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334500/article/bishop-sankey-compared-to-buccaneers-rb-doug-martin

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah tweeted Washington RB Bishop Sankey's running style is reminiscent of Doug Martin's.
Sankey has "quick feet" and is "elusive in tight quarters," per Jeremiah. Rotoworld's Josh Norris thinks Martin was more physical than Sankey and could be first contact more frequently, but there are a group of evaluators that list Sankey near the top among prospects at his position, including Mike Mayock.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Sankey ranked 5th out of the 5 RBs that Greg Peshek looked at in terms of broken tackles & yards after contact.

YAC Btk% Player

3.48 7.92% Hyde

2.93 8.59% Hill

2.89 8.33% Seastrunk

2.78 6.19% Mason

2.45 4.56% Sankey

If we also include the 5 other RBs that Peshek looked at midseason (Gordon, Andrews, Andre Williams, Carey, and Grice), then Sankey is 9th out of 10 (ahead of only Grice).
Yards after contact may be overrated to an extent, while yards BEFORE contact is undervalued:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/21/jamaal-charles-lesean-mccoy-and-the-value-of-vision-yards/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/18/fantasy-the-contrarian-vision-yards/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/23/fantasy-the-contrarian-agility-scores-and-breakout-rbs/

YAC Btk% Player

3.48 7.92% Hyde

2.93 8.59% Hill

2.89 8.33% Seastrunk

2.78 6.19% Mason

2.45 4.56% Sankey

Yards after contact may be overrated to an extent, while yards BEFORE contact is undervalued:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/21/jamaal-charles-lesean-mccoy-and-the-value-of-vision-yards/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/18/fantasy-the-contrarian-vision-yards/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/23/fantasy-the-contrarian-agility-scores-and-breakout-rbs/
That claim seems straightforward enough to analyze - just look at Yards Before Contact in year n-1 and Yards After Contact in year n-1, and see how well they predict Yards Per Carry in year n. Has anyone run the numbers on it?

(Though I expect Yards Before Contact to be a more useful indicator NFL RBs than for college RBs, since a college backs' Yards Before Contact probably vary more for reasons unrelated to vision - scheme, quality of opponents, quality of OL, etc.)

YAC Btk% Player

3.48 7.92% Hyde

2.93 8.59% Hill

2.89 8.33% Seastrunk

2.78 6.19% Mason

2.45 4.56% Sankey

That claim seems straightforward enough to analyze - just look at Yards Before Contact in year n-1 and Yards After Contact in year n-1, and see how well they predict Yards Per Carry in year n. Has anyone run the numbers on it?

(Though I expect Yards Before Contact to be a more useful indicator NFL RBs than for college RBs, since a college backs' Yards Before Contact probably vary more for reasons unrelated to vision - scheme, quality of opponents, quality of OL, etc.)
I'd probably throw out negative runs and record what a RB does with the "good" carries that he gets. Because I think more often than not, being stopped for a loss isn't really the RBs fault from a fundamental standpoint.

I think it's worth noting that Hyde had the lowest percentage of negative carries: https://twitter.com/hawkeyegamefilm/status/434221840903331841

Found my winner in terms of lowest negative carry % in 2013: Carlos Hyde of OSU. 1.44% on 208 carries. Only 3 of his 208 carries for - yards
Here's how Sankey fared along with his teammates: https://twitter.com/hawkeyegamefilm/status/439516654427320320

And Seastrunk: https://twitter.com/hawkeyegamefilm/status/434112371846422528

Another high negative carry rate: Lache Seastrunk of Baylor at 10.7% vs 5-6% from his teammates; w/Seastrunk's style not surprising to me
Basically, Hyde's After Contact numbers most likely look great because he was rarely hit in the backfield, but was hit when he was already generating a certain amount of momentum.

He runs arrogant. That might not make sense but I will try to explain. Doesn't always choose contact and will sometimes dance when he shouldn't. He doesn't smash the Earth when he plants (like Lynch does) but he doesn't flow and roll off of tackles either. His legs aren't stiff enough to always shed the arm tackles but they are loose enough to disperse a shoulder tackle either. You can tell he's looking where he's going but he's not always "feeling" where to go. I'm reserving judgement on him and I'm like to see him go to a team like the Colts.

ZWK said:
Xue said:

YAC Btk% Player

3.48 7.92% Hyde

2.93 8.59% Hill

2.89 8.33% Seastrunk

2.78 6.19% Mason

2.45 4.56% Sankey

I took a look myself.

In the PFF regular season RB data from 2007-2013, there are 178 times when a RB had back-to-back seasons with 100+ carries (and 25%+ of their team's RB snaps).

For those 178 data points, I ran a regression predicting Yards Per Carry (YPC) in year n based on YPC in year n-1. Each 1 yard of YPC in year n-1 predicts an additional 0.18 yards of YPC in year n.

Then I ran another regression predicting YPC in year n based on Yards Before Contact (YBC) in year n-1 and Yards After Contact (YAC) in year n-1. Each 1 yard of YBC predicts an additional 0.08 yards of YPC in year n. Each 1 yard of YAC predicts an additional 0.27 yards of YPC in year n.

So Yards After Contact are about 3.3x as predictive of future performance as Yards Before Contact, for NFL RBs (though these estimates are pretty imprecise).

(If I use PFF's run grade per attempt as the outcome variable, then the results are similar - YAC is 3.8x as predictive as YBC.)

MARSHAWN LYNCH (2007) vs BISHOP SANKEY (2014)

But that brings us to another comparison, about which conclusions are too early to draw: Lynch vs. Bishop Sankey.

Specifically, the Lynch that departed the University of California in 2007 and the Sankey, a junior last fall at the University of Washington, who just completed testing at the NFL combine in Indianapolis. These are the first pertinents:

Year Player School HT. WT. Last Season

2006 Marshawn Lynch Cal 5-11 215 13 games, 1,356 yards, 15 TDs

2013 Bishop Sankey UW 5-9 209 13 games, 1,870 yards, 20 TDs

Not a lot of difference there. Lynch has/had a slight height/weight advantage, Sankey the statistical edge. Scouts — and in hindsight, properly so — loved Lynch’s upside following the 2007 combine, predicting he would go within the first 15 picks in that year’s NFL Draft. He did, at No. 12 overall to Buffalo. Lynch’s 2007 scouting report:

“The Cal star established himself as the second-best back in the nation after Louisville’s Michael Bush, who also declared early, went down in the first week of the season with a broken leg. Lynch had a huge 2007 campaign and ran away with the Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Year Award.

“A first-team All-American, Lynch led the conference in rushing with 104.3 yards per game, all-purpose yards (137.3) and touchdowns (15). Lynch is a powerful runner, as he has more than adequate speed for his compact 5-11, 215-pound frame. He is capable of pounding it straight up the gut of defensive lines and can also bounce to the outside where his big-play ability is put on display. Lynch will be the second running back taken in the 2007 draft and should be off the board no later than the middle of the first round.”

A few points: Lynch was, in fact, the second running back taken in 2007 behind Oklahoma’s Adrian Peterson, to Minnesota. Sankey averaged 143.8 rushing yards per game to Lynch’s 104.3 and 167.2 all-purpose yards to Lynch’s 137.3. But scouts aren’t nearly as seduced by Sankey, awarding him an overall grade of 5.3 for his generally favorable performance at Indianapolis. According to NFL.com, a grade of 5.3 projects as “NFL backup or special teams potential.” This is Sankey’s NFL.com scouting report:

Strengths: Good vision and balance. Subtle lateral agility to pick, slide and accelerate. Reads his blocks and instinctively runs to daylight. Fluid gate and efficient movement. Runs competitively. Good hands to pull in throws off his body. Was productive with a heavy workload in a pro-style offense. Team captain.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk and functional run strength — not a robust tackle-breaker. Too often grounded by single-tacklers or tripped up by the ankles. Shows some hip tightness. Average explosion, speed and elusiveness. Has shown he can be contained by good defenses. Needs to become a more dependable, physical, fundamentally sound pass protector.

Bottom Line: The Pac-12’s leading rusher, Sankey has an overall average skill set and generally gains what is blocked for him. Is instinctive, competitive and shifty enough to be effective as a complementary zone runner, but must improve in pass protection.

Hard to dispute that. But we dug up Lynch’s so-called measureables from the 2007 NFL combine and it’s remarkable how similar they are to Sankey’s.

Category Lynch / ’07 Sankey / ’14 Best Ever

40-Yard Dash 4.46 4.49 4.12 Bo Jackson, RB, Auburn, 1986

225 Lb. Reps 20 26 51, Justin Ernest, DT, E. Kentucky, 1999

Vertical Jump 35.1 inches 35.5 inches 46.0, G. Sensabaugh, S, N. Car., 2005

Broad Jump 10 ft, 5 in 10 ft, 6 in 11-7, Jamie Collins, So. Miss, 2013

20-Yard Shuttle 4.58 4.00 3.73, Kevin Kasper, WR, Iowa, 2001

3-Cone Drill 7:09 6.75 6.42, Jeff Maehl, WR, Oregon, 2011

Lynch clocked a few ticks better in the 40-yard dash, but Sankey did considerably better in weight lifting, pressing 225 pounds 26 times in a row to Lynch’s 20. Sankey also fared better than Lynch, if only slightly, in his vertical jump, broad jump, 20-yard shuttle time and 3-cone drill time.

And yet, scouts projected Lynch as a slam-dunk first-round pick and now are projecting Sankey as, generously, a third-rounder despite their combine similarities.

The measureables tell us that Sankey has the potential, with additional years of training, to become the physical equivalent of Lynch. Still to be determined is whether Sankey has the passion and mental toughness to elevate his game to the point that Lynch has taken his.

By all accounts, Sankey is a “good-character” guy, so it will be intriguing to watch.

http://sportspressnw.com/2179979/2014/further-review-lynch-2007-vs-sankey-2014

I ran at a big track meet in high school where MJD was competing in the featured 100m race. I've never seen another human who looks like that. He was extremely short, but his legs were HUGE. Like comically huge. You could probably fit a pair of pants around each of his thighs. Sankey doesn't have that kind of lower body strength. He's not thin for his height, but he's not a muscle hamster like Doug Martin or MJD. That's where those comparisons break down for me.

EBF said:
I ran at a big track meet in high school where MJD was competing in the featured 100m race. I've never seen another human who looks like that. He was extremely short, but his legs were HUGE. Like comically huge. You could probably fit a pair of pants around each of his thighs. Sankey doesn't have that kind of lower body strength. He's not thin for his height, but he's not a muscle hamster like Doug Martin or MJD. That's where those comparisons break down for me.
Something tells me if you saw this guy in person at your high school track meet that you'd be impressed:http://cbsmoorejones.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/474470053.jpg?w=1500

Looks like a pretty impressive muscle hamster to me!

Feel free to zoom in on your iPad if you'd like to get a closer look at the definition in his arms or legs....

Pay close attention to his left calf....

His physique ain't so bad for a 21 year old man - wouldn't you say??

He has some pretty big thighs: http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaws.com/9917d35894ea11e3928a0e05f3709127_8.jpg

Pretty ripped here standing next to Ka'Deem Carey:

http://distilleryimage3.s3.amazonaws.com/950c2d988f8d11e38f0112a8e543a953_8.jpg

I really like Sankey as well. I'm not sure if he's my top RB or not but he's been in my top 2 for a while now. I think he or Hyde are the top 2 with Mason and Freeman close behind.

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock lists Washington's Bishop Sankey as his top RB in the class.

Mayock's updated list of Top-5 running backs is rounded out, in order, by Ohio State's Carlos Hyde, LSU's Jeremy Hill, Boston College's Andre Williams, and Auburn's Tre Mason. The Washington Husky moved from Mayock's No. 3 spot up to No. 1 after the NFL Combine. Sankey posted a 4.49 forty, 26 bench press reps, a 35.5 inch vertical and 126 inch broad jump. Don't expect Sankey, or any running back, to crack the first-round in May.

Mar 3 - 4:53 PM

Source: NFL.com
NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock compared Washington RB Bishop Sankey to Cincinnati Bengals rookie Giovani Bernard.

"I want to see him catch the football. I don't get to see enough diversity of catches and routes off his tape. I think he can be a lot like the kid out of North Carolina (Bernard), if he can catch the football like that," Mayock said. Sankey rushed for 1,870 yards and 20 touchdowns on 327 carries in 2013. The Huskies' star received a third-round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Board. While he doesn't possess any elite attributes, Sankey shows receiving potential and runs with patience and vision.

Feb 20 - 7:00 PM

Source: NFL.com
Scouts Inc.'s Steve Muench was impressed with Washington junior RB Bishop Sankey's ability to change direction and vision.

Muench, however, did call Sankey's top end speed average on film. The Washington product produced at a high level this season, but we see him as a third day pick rather than landing in the second- or third-round.

Jan 29 - 11:15 AM

Source: Steve Muench on Twitter
Washington junior RB Bishop Sankey received a third-round projection from the NFL Draft Advisory Board.
"It’s pretty much what I expected," Sankey said. "I’m going to talk to coach (Chris) Petersen and to my family after the bowl game and make a decision." With Melvin Gordon III staying in school, many backs have an argument for being the top running back in the class, Sankey included.

Source: The Seattle Times

Tue, Dec 24, 2013 12:27:00 PM

[SIZE=medium]Bishop Sankey[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]In a deep running back class, it's easy to overlook players. Bishop Sankey is a guy I keep going back to as a top-tier, Day 1 impact you can bet on.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]He's fast—4.49 officially with a 1.59-second 10-yard split—and has the breakaway ability on the edge. Sankey can be a game-changer, and in a class of running backs who are all very similar, he stands out from the crowd.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Bishop Sankey[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]In a deep running back class, it's easy to overlook players. Bishop Sankey is a guy I keep going back to as a top-tier, Day 1 impact you can bet on.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]He's fast—4.49 officially with a 1.59-second 10-yard split—and has the breakaway ability on the edge. Sankey can be a game-changer, and in a class of running backs who are all very similar, he stands out from the crowd.[/SIZE]
:shrug: Nope.

Im not sure why Bishop is going "under the radar", especially after his combine. I'm prepared to take him 1.1 as long as he goes to a reasonable destination.

I am higher on him than I was Gio last year.

To each his own I guess...

His combine shouldn't really have surprised anyone. I saw the quick feet, balance, and change of direction on tape and predicted he'd blow up the shuttle and 3-cone:

Anyone have any predictions? Who's going to measure short? Light?

I'll start. Davante Adams will have a 40"+ vertical and 10" hands. Odell Beckham, Ryan Grant, and Bishop Sankey are going to kill the shuttle and 3-cone. (Ok not kill, but should be at the top.)

Dri Archer will run a 4.30, and so will Sammy Watkins.

Ka'Deem Carey and Bishop Sankey will both measure 5'9".

Possible Pick: Sankey Adds To Intrigue At Combine

Rowan Kavner

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

(Editor’s Note: Heading into the upcoming NFL Draft, held May 8-10, DallasCowboys.com will take a closer look at the prospects, including some that could be potential fits with the Cowboys. Today’s featured player is Washington’s Bishop Sankey.)

Name: Bishop Sankey

Position: Running back

College: Washington

Height/Weight: 5-9/209

Honors: Sankey holds the career rushing touchdowns mark at Washington with 37, despite playing only three years. He was one of three finalists for the Doak Walker Award. Sankey finished first at the NFL Combine in the three-cone drill (6.75 seconds) and the 20-yard shuttle (four seconds) among running backs, while finishing in the top five in his position group in bench press (26 reps) and broad jump (126 inches).

Key stat: He was a first-team All-Pac-12 running back who set the school record for rushing yards in a single season last year with 1,870, surpassing Corey Dillon’s mark while rushing for at least one touchdown every game during the season. He ended the regular season ranked first in the Pac-12 and second in the nation with 1,775 rushing

Where He’s Projected: Most project the 5-9 running back to go somewhere around the third round, but his strong NFL Combine mixed with his tremendous production at Washington could very well intrigue a team enough to select him earlier. With his 4.49 40-yard dash speed and 26 reps on the bench, he has the speed, strength and tools to make for an interesting prospect.

How He Helps the Cowboys: The Cowboys may want to start thinking about the future at this position. DeMarco Murray’s contract is up at the end of the 2014 season, and fifth-round pick Joseph Randle averaged three yards per carry on 54 rushes last year in limited action. Randle got a brief look at what he could do as the starter in Murray’s absence in 2013, and the Cowboys have to determine if he’s a long-term option as the starter. Lance Dunbar has the burst and quickness to contribute, but many see him as a complement back. The starting job is all Murray’s this year, but Sankey could immediately compete for reps and ultimately earn the job for the future.

Scout’s Take:

Bryan Broaddus – Sankey might not have the ideal measurables when you think about the best running backs that play in the NFL, but there is no mistaking the way he plays. At 5-9, 209 pounds, Sankey can be a load to deal with. He plays with some really good initial quickness with the ball in his hands. Most of his snaps are in a read-option attack that will also use him as a “Wildcat” quarterback. He’ll take a jab step, then go. He’s the type of back that is going to keep coming after a defense.

He’s a down-and-dirty type of player that is always fighting for extra yards. His legs are working at impact and can bounce off tacklers if they don’t wrap him up. He runs hard and with a purpose. You see him finish runs and showed the ability to use his vision, pick and slide, then burst. Sankey knows how to take the ball to the backside and has the quickness to get the ball around the corner.

It didn’t appear that he had that second gear, then he ripped off a 60-yard run against Oregon State running away from folks. He’ll make cuts that gets him in the open field. He’s got tremendous balance, so it’s hard to knock him off his feet. Sankey with his pads down and doesn’t give the tacklers much of a hitting surface. He surprises tacklers with his power.

His hands appear to be solid. He’ll catch the ball in the flat on screens or check down routes underneath. I didn’t see any struggle here or double-catching of the ball. He was secure with the ball but did have one fumble against UCLA in the open field where the tackler put his helmet right on the ball and it popped out.

If he has a trait that’s a weakness, it’s his height as a pass blocker. He’s not afraid to stick his nose in there and deliver a blow but his lack of height affects his ability to secure his assignment. Some of his best work is when he cut blocks the rusher, but that is hard to get away with in this league. He’ll need to learn how to handle rushers with better technique but is not afraid. Super productive player on tape and a pleasure to study. Never believe he’ll grow taller, but I have to give him his due and feel like he would be a very nice consideration late in the second or early third.

Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell perceives Washington's Bishop Sankey, Baylor's Lache Seastrunk, and Arizona's Ka'Deem Carey as similar spread and/or rotational RBs.
Seastrunk and Carey are often lumped together using this logic, but some scouts think Sankey transcends being summarily pigeonholed. For instance, NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock ranked Sankey as his top RB earlier this month, and last week NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah made a comparison between his running style and Doug Martin's. "If you're going to run as your foundation offense, a three-wide, one-back spread-type offense, then you can play I believe with the Lache Seastrunks, maybe a Bishop Sankey, maybe a Ka'Deem Carey," said Cosell. "If you're going to line up with you know, 12 personnel, one back, two tight ends, or two backs and one tight end, I'm not sure those guys can do that for you on a consistent basis." At the NFL Combine, Sankey posted a 4.49 forty, 26 bench press reps, a 35.5 inch vertical and a 126 inch broad jump.

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast

Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell perceives Washington's Bishop Sankey, Baylor's Lache Seastrunk, and Arizona's Ka'Deem Carey as similar spread and/or rotational RBs.

Seastrunk and Carey are often lumped together using this logic, but some scouts think Sankey transcends being summarily pigeonholed. For instance, NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock ranked Sankey as his top RB earlier this month, and last week NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah made a comparison between his running style and Doug Martin's. "If you're going to run as your foundation offense, a three-wide, one-back spread-type offense, then you can play I believe with the Lache Seastrunks, maybe a Bishop Sankey, maybe a Ka'Deem Carey," said Cosell. "If you're going to line up with you know, 12 personnel, one back, two tight ends, or two backs and one tight end, I'm not sure those guys can do that for you on a consistent basis." At the NFL Combine, Sankey posted a 4.49 forty, 26 bench press reps, a 35.5 inch vertical and a 126 inch broad jump.

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast
Interesting take here... I like Cosell and for the most part he's had valuable comments about the game and even some prospects....

I disagree with him on his take of Sankey only being a spread back, but that is his opinion. Something tells me that I am not alone in disagreeing with his take on Sankey...

I don't think you should rank a player 1st overall at the RB position if you think they will not translate into a feature RB, regardless of formation/offensive philosophy.

Mayock backpedaling like a defensive back on his rankings with that sort of qualifying statement.

eta- Read that wrong before. I thought those were Mayocks comments not Cosell's.

Maybe Cosell's comments will cause Mayock to defend his ranking of Sankey number 1?

Cosell is no different than the rest of us. He whiffs on as many as he hits. Here's what he had to say about Richardson and Pead a couple of years ago:

Trent Richardson

Will Jets think about T. Richardson in draft. Best back to come out since Peterson in 2007. True foundation back. Set tempo for an offense.

Richardson has most critical traits neccesary to be elite: Lateral explosion, short area burst, natural power, great balance + body control.

Richardson can be effective in any scheme: zone or power. A compact physical runner with great feet and deceptive speed. A great runner.

Fascinated by pointless debate re: Richardson's 40 time. Irrelevant. Top end speed might be least important attribute to be great NFL back.

"He's incredibly powerful, first of all. He's naturally powerful. He can run through contact, and he's very quick laterally. He can stick his foot in the ground and accelerate. I'm a firm believer that it's more important to be a great NFL back, to have lateral explosion as opposed to vertical explosion. In fact, I would argue that top-end speed -- which is the only thing that Richardson is theoretically lacking -- is way down the list of important attributes for a feature back."

Isaiah Pead

Liked RB Pead. Naturally quick + explosive. Dynamic + decisive north-south runner.Some similarities to J. Charles when he came out of Texas

Liked CIN Pead. Decisive downhill runner with explosive short area burst. Natural wiggle in open field. Stop + start, change of direction.

Love Rams pick of Pead. Runner-receiver. Can also align at WR. Some similarities to McCoy coming out of Pitt (remember he was 2nd rd pick).

Some other guys he touted a few years ago......

Picks I really like based on my film study: TE Rob Housler, WR Jerral Jernigan, RB Alex Green, WR Vincent Brown, S Jaiquawn Jarrett, CB Curtis Marsh, LB Akeem Dent, S Chris Conte, RB Mikel Leshoure.

More I liked based on film: LB Nate Irving, RB Stevan Ridley, QB Ryan Mallett, DT Jarvis Jenkins, TE Lance Kendricks, RB Daniel Thomas, DT Terrell McClain, DT Drake Nevis, CB Curtis Brown.

Players I like as NFL projections: RB Jones (E. Wash), WR Brown (SDSU) + Harris (ECU), TE Housler (FAU), DE Carter (FSU), S Jarrett (Tem).

Thoughts on Justin Houston: "Houston athletic skill set did not translate to on-field play. A flash player. Inconsistent effort. Passive. Not competitive. Not 1st round."

"I've always struggled w/measurable tests. Not sure what they mean. 40 means little. Vertical jump means nothing. On-field attributes matter."

He may be right about Sankey. However, just wanted to show that Cosell's no different than all the other talking heads in the media.

Cosell is no different than the rest of us. He whiffs on as many as he hits. Here's what he had to say about Richardson and Pead a couple of years ago:

Trent Richardson

Will Jets think about T. Richardson in draft. Best back to come out since Peterson in 2007. True foundation back. Set tempo for an offense.

Richardson has most critical traits neccesary to be elite: Lateral explosion, short area burst, natural power, great balance + body control.

Richardson can be effective in any scheme: zone or power. A compact physical runner with great feet and deceptive speed. A great runner.

Fascinated by pointless debate re: Richardson's 40 time. Irrelevant. Top end speed might be least important attribute to be great NFL back.

"He's incredibly powerful, first of all. He's naturally powerful. He can run through contact, and he's very quick laterally. He can stick his foot in the ground and accelerate. I'm a firm believer that it's more important to be a great NFL back, to have lateral explosion as opposed to vertical explosion. In fact, I would argue that top-end speed -- which is the only thing that Richardson is theoretically lacking -- is way down the list of important attributes for a feature back."

Isaiah Pead

Liked RB Pead. Naturally quick + explosive. Dynamic + decisive north-south runner.Some similarities to J. Charles when he came out of Texas

Liked CIN Pead. Decisive downhill runner with explosive short area burst. Natural wiggle in open field. Stop + start, change of direction.

Love Rams pick of Pead. Runner-receiver. Can also align at WR. Some similarities to McCoy coming out of Pitt (remember he was 2nd rd pick).

Some other guys he touted a few years ago......

Picks I really like based on my film study: TE Rob Housler, WR Jerral Jernigan, RB Alex Green, WR Vincent Brown, S Jaiquawn Jarrett, CB Curtis Marsh, LB Akeem Dent, S Chris Conte, RB Mikel Leshoure.

More I liked based on film: LB Nate Irving, RB Stevan Ridley, QB Ryan Mallett, DT Jarvis Jenkins, TE Lance Kendricks, RB Daniel Thomas, DT Terrell McClain, DT Drake Nevis, CB Curtis Brown.

Players I like as NFL projections: RB Jones (E. Wash), WR Brown (SDSU) + Harris (ECU), TE Housler (FAU), DE Carter (FSU), S Jarrett (Tem).

Thoughts on Justin Houston: "Houston athletic skill set did not translate to on-field play. A flash player. Inconsistent effort. Passive. Not competitive. Not 1st round."

"I've always struggled w/measurable tests. Not sure what they mean. 40 means little. Vertical jump means nothing. On-field attributes matter."

He may be right about Sankey. However, just wanted to show that Cosell's no different than all the other talking heads in the media.
So are you going to be objective and go find some of his hits also?

Isaiah Pead

I was high on Pead and went back to see what I missed scouting him. What I took from it is that I over-valued running ability and receiving vs. his terrible blocking. He can do some good things running the ball but if he can't block he won't play.

Isaiah Pead

I was high on Pead and went back to see what I missed scouting him. What I took from it is that I over-valued running ability and receiving vs. his terrible blocking. He can do some good things running the ball but if he can't block he won't play.
If my memory is working tonight, Pead was a kind of 50/50 guys overall both with draftniks and dynasty players, so nothing proven by missing on guy people were split one. And 90 plus percent of the world missed on Trent Richardson (Jim Brown got it right). again no point here.

Isaiah Pead

pead is also a head case who was thinking of quitting during his rookie year. Cosell is clear that he only studies tape and outside issues don't factor into his evaluations.

Pead doesn't love football, talent doesn't matter when a player doesn't want to play.

Cosell is a great Xs and Os guy, but I don't put too much stock into this evaluations. He only starts focusing on the draft in the off-season and just basically regurgitates what a lot of other analysts have already said during the season.

Users who are viewing this thread