What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rectify on Sundance Channel (1 Viewer)

Spoilers up through 2.1

Rectify returned for its second season the other night. If the first episode is any indication, it is continuing its presentation of one of the most philosophic, poetic, personally heartbreaking crime narratives ever to hit the small screen.

The story concerns Daniel Holden, convicted of murder when he was a teenager, sentenced to death, but recently released (at the beginning of the first season) on a technicality. He is likely innocent, but we don't yet quite know that with 100% certainly. His mother and sister believe in him - and no doubt the real murderer or murderers, if they are still alive - but few else do. And many want him dead.

He was beaten to within an inch of his life at the end of the first season, just seven days after his release. As he tells us, every one of those days was like a lifetime. And although part of the power of the series is how Daniel re-integrates into our new digital world, not yet emerged when he was convicted, the real power resides completely within Daniel and his thoughts.

He was put through sheer hell in prison. But his life outside of prison is only fleetingly better, as glimpses of love, affection, and friendship shine just barely through the clouds that ever surround him. Peace of mind is just not an option at this point. The best he can hope for is regaining enough of his mind to live some semblance of a normal life.

And his own inner demons are abetted by just about everyone other than his sister and mother and the woman he is beginning to care about. Only one lawman shows interest in getting the people who nearly beat Daniel to death. The rest would just as soon see him to dead - to either save face for the wrong prosecution, or because they believe he is a murderer.

In our real world, in which capital punishment in the United States is raising all sorts of justified concerns, Rectify presents a story about what it's like for a sensitive human being to go through most of the process that will stay with you forever.
http://paullevinson.blogspot.com/2014/06/rectify-21-indelible.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes slow show. Not much action just pure story-telling and character building. But done so good it holds my attention like few shows do.

Good ep

Getting a real sense on how Daniels time on death row really messed with his head

Feel bad for the kid and the backlash he's going to get for ID'ing the brother

spoilers through ep 2.2

Mothers gain and lose their sons.

We see two very different situations for two mothers: Janet and Judy. At his bedside, Daniel’s mother, Janet, has moved beyond her initial doubts upon his release from prison. Her love for her son and belief in him are strong. She stays by his side, a fierce, protective mother. Amantha—who has fought for and believed in his innocence all these years—sees no hope for a recovery and is stunned when Daniel comes out of the coma.

We see the murder victim Hannah’s mother, Judy—who lost her daughter to the murder for which Daniel was (wrongly, imo) convicted—alone watching television when her son, Bobby, comes home drenched from a downpour after beating Daniel. The water cascades off of his clothing onto the sofa, but he pays it no mind. Except for the HD TV, it appears as though nothing in Judy’s home has changed since Hannah was murdered 20 years earlier. Her life was permanently altered and diminished by the loss. Soon, her loss will be greater.

In season one we saw Daniel baptized and we saw Trey wade into the river to dispose of the body of the man who killed himself—apparently over guilt at the truth of the circumstances surrounding the death of Hannah. When Hannah’s brother, Bobby, returns home soaked by rain in the aftermath of the brutal attack on Daniel, his mother shows her love and fear, echoing Janet’s fraught state of mind. Judy knows Bobby has done wrong, but his deeds are not discussed.

Teddy is concerned about money, reputation and the possibility of diaper duty for Janet. Concern for Daniel is nonexistent. This was plainly shown last week when Amantha caught Teddy chocking the little “tire man” she had left to watch over Daniel.

Tawney remarks to Teddy, “You don’t pray with me anymore.” She is genuine, while Teddy faked a spirituality he does not possess in order to successfully court her. Teddy is not a villain, yet he is hateful, judgmental and self-serving. A shallow man concerned only with his own gratification, he is in a prison of his own design, even as Daniel deals with the violent ramifications of his release from confinement. Teddy can’t forgive Tawney for feeling something for Daniel. In his limited view, her feelings could only be sexual and wrong, an affront to his manhood and their marriage. Yet her feelings are clearly far more complex than mere sexual attraction, her reaction to being in Daniel’s presence is complex in ways she herself does not fully comprehend. This was deftly hinted at during her visit with friends early in episode two.

Sleeping giants wake up. “We’re waking up Daniel today.” Daniel awakes and is responsive; there are no signs of permanent damage. A joyous moment. Janet is relieved and overwhelmed. Her happiness is in stark contrast to Judy, who we see watching as her son is cuffed and taken away by the police for his role in the brutal beating of Daniel. More loss and sorrow for this mother.

Mr. Ray McKinnon has created a very powerful drama, a morality tale of a very high order. I was very impressed with season one. Season two is off to a powerful start. I am riveted and moved by the story he is telling.

Just watched season 1 thx for this thread

I see season 2 eps 3 and 4 on this week hopefully they replay the first 2

So probably covered here but the shows director is an actor who was the reverend on deadwood

spoilers through ep 2.2

Teddy is concerned about money, reputation and the possibility of diaper duty for Janet. Concern for Daniel is nonexistent. This was plainly shown last week when Amantha caught Teddy chocking the little “tire man” she had left to watch over Daniel.

Tawney remarks to Teddy, “You don’t pray with me anymore.” She is genuine, while Teddy faked a spirituality he does not possess in order to successfully court her. Teddy is not a villain, yet he is hateful, judgmental and self-serving. A shallow man concerned only with his own gratification, he is in a prison of his own design, even as Daniel deals with the violent ramifications of his release from confinement. Teddy can’t forgive Tawney for feeling something for Daniel. In his limited view, her feelings could only be sexual and wrong, an affront to his manhood and their marriage. Yet her feelings are clearly far more complex than mere sexual attraction, her reaction to being in Daniel’s presence is complex in ways she herself does not fully comprehend. This was deftly hinted at during her visit with friends early in episode two.
Where is this from? An opinion or is this from the creators of the show? I assumed Teddy's tear after Tawney's comment was a tear of genuine sadness that he's not what he used to be in terms of his relationship with her and with God. He is drifting away from both of them. I see Teddy as more someone who is losing his way rather than someone who faked his faith up to this point.

I agree he's not a villain. He has misplaced priorities and those are driving him to be a total jerk.

spoilers thru 2.3

Rectify 2.3: Daniel's Motives
th_Rectify-710x400_zpsd761cd2c.jpg
Why? Why did Daniel lie to Sheriff Daggett inRectify 2.3 and say he didn't recognize Bobby Dean as one of the people who nearly bear him to death, when we and Daniel know that Bobby Dean did it? Daggett is understandably nonplussed, Amantha is understandably livid, but let's look at this from Daniel's point of view and see if we can understand why he gave Bobby Dean a get-out-of-jail free card.

Daniel to say the least has seen the horror of prison. Indeed, the episodes this year, especially the first, have gone out of their way to show how soul-crushing Daniel's time on death row was. Could Daniel's refusal to implicate Bobby Dean derive from Daniel's unwillingness to be responsible for sending any other man to prison, even one who nearly savagely killed him? Perhaps.

Let's look at the other end of the continuum. When Amantha screams at Daniel about how could he just let Bobby Dean go with no retribution, Daniel mutters something to the effect that that's not necessarily the case. What was Daniel alluding to? That he would punish Bobby Dean with his own hands? Also, perhaps. Or, could Daniel have been thinking that Bobby Dean will pay the price of living with the memory of his nearly killing someone, as maybe Daniel feels about his beating of Teddy, or maybe about something much worse?

Or, might Daniel have a completely different motive for keeping Bobby Dean out of jail? If this were more of a high-puzzle murder mystery than a scathing and tender examination of the human psyche - Rectify of course is both, but it's more of the latter - than perhaps Daniel might want to keep Bobby Dean out of prison, as a way of ultimately proving that someone other than Daniel - maybe Bobby Dean? - was the murderer.

And then there's the other, worst side of this. If there's any chance at all that Daniel indeed was responsible for killing Hanna, then he would not want to punish someone who was beating him for good reason. It's almost impossible to believe that someone with Daniel's gentleness could hurt anyone. But we did see him beat Teddy last season, and it's a measure of how superb this drama is that we can eve contemplate that question.​
even though I felt that Daniel would not finger Bobby Deen, it still felt like a kick in the balls....I can understand it, but man...wow

Caught the first 3 episodes. Holy #### is this show good.

Movies were better in the 90's and this show recaptures that feel far better than any movie nowadays.

Visually, it's just gorgeous to watch too.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to watch the pilot without being completely "in".

Aden Young just knocks this out of the park (gives Timmy Robbins a run for his money as "stoic wrongfully convicted guy", even that's blasphemous to say).

I'm not sure what heaven looks like, but I'm pretty sure it's Abigail Spencer in a little summer dress and boots.

I know the worthlessness of network drama is nothing new, but it still just shocks me that tiny little networks like BBCA and Sundance can put out Orphan Blacks and Rectify's while the behemoths can't put out anything worth a crap (I know that's not their goal though).

All caught up. Fantastic.

I assume things are about to get a whole lot worse. Daniel letting Bobby Deen go is only going to make people even more convinced of his guilt, and the dude floating in the river will turn up any time and everyone's going to assume Daniel did that too.

pollardsvision said:

Movies were better in the 90's and this show recaptures that feel far better than any movie nowadays.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to watch the pilot without being completely "in".

Aden Young just knocks this out of the park (gives Timmy Robbins a run for his money as "stoic wrongfully convicted guy", even that's blasphemous to say).

I'm not sure what heaven looks like, but I'm pretty sure it's Abigail Spencer in a little summer dress and boots.

I know the worthlessness of network drama is nothing new, but it still just shocks me that tiny little networks like BBCA and Sundance can put out Orphan Blacks and Rectify's while the behemoths can't put out anything worth a crap (I know that's not their goal though).
I think that I have found my TV soulmate. Nearly every single thing I come to post/rave about, I see you commenting about the same show.

I don't want to view this thread too much yet, as I I just watched season 1 and the premiere of season 2. I have the rest of S. 2 to catch up on. But it is terribly engrossing and not slow at all, which was why I stayed away from season 1.

It is funny that you mention Orphan black, because I have 7 episodes of season 2 piled up on my DVR that I keep saying I will watch another day (for example I watched 7 episodes of Rectify rather than the rest of Orphan black). The show is well shot and acted, but it seems silly. Does it get better the rest of S.2?

pollardsvision said:

I think that I have found my TV soulmate. Nearly every single thing I come to post/rave about, I see you commenting about the same show. I don't want to view this thread too much yet, as I I just watched season 1 and the premiere of season 2. I have the rest of S. 2 to catch up on. But it is terribly engrossing and not slow at all, which was why I stayed away from season 1.

It is funny that you mention Orphan black, because I have 7 episodes of season 2 piled up on my DVR that I keep saying I will watch another day (for example I watched 7 episodes of Rectify rather than the rest of Orphan black). The show is well shot and acted, but it seems silly. Does it get better the rest of S.2?
:hifive:

OB Season 2 has it's issues, but I thought it was great overall (outside of one episode, #8, I believe). Episode 4 might be my favorite episode of the series, and should help decide if you want to continue or not. I'd guess if S1 didn't completely grab you, then there's not much about S2 that you'll find improved. But I'd absolutely watch episode 4.

I can understand that it can come off a little silly, and sometimes it's clear they are just showing off (either Maslany's talent or the tech guys). The story isn't always best, but Maslany and the characters are really enough to keep me excited about it.

pollardsvision said:

I think that I have found my TV soulmate. Nearly every single thing I come to post/rave about, I see you commenting about the same show. I don't want to view this thread too much yet, as I I just watched season 1 and the premiere of season 2. I have the rest of S. 2 to catch up on. But it is terribly engrossing and not slow at all, which was why I stayed away from season 1.

OB Season 2 has it's issues, but I thought it was great overall (outside of one episode, #8, I believe). Episode 4 might be my favorite episode of the series, and should help decide if you want to continue or not. I'd guess if S1 didn't completely grab you, then there's not much about S2 that you'll find improved. But I'd absolutely watch episode 4.

I can understand that it can come off a little silly, and sometimes it's clear they are just showing off (either Maslany's talent or the tech guys). The story isn't always best, but Maslany and the characters are really enough to keep me excited about it.
The thing is Season 1 did grab me, and I was eagerly looking forward to season 2. I'm 2.5 episodes in, and it seems like there are a million people with vague alliances, and trumped up drama. The story just seems ridiculous, and obviously I am suspending disbelief with regard to the SciFi aspect.

Re Rectify, it kind of reminds me a little bit of Sling Blade in its tone, feeling of contemplation and foreboding. If I have one quibble (and it isn't much of a quibble), i have a hard time thinking of Abigail Spencer growing up in this town. She is almost distractingly beautiful and put together for her upbringing.

pollardsvision said:

The thing is Season 1 did grab me, and I was eagerly looking forward to season 2. I'm 2.5 episodes in, and it seems like there are a million people with vague alliances, and trumped up drama. The story just seems ridiculous, and obviously I am suspending disbelief with regard to the SciFi aspect. Re Rectify, it kind of reminds me a little bit of Sling Blade in its tone, feeling of contemplation and foreboding. If I have one quibble (and it isn't much of a quibble), i have a hard time thinking of Abigail Spencer growing up in this town. She is almost distractingly beautiful and put together for her upbringing.
Gotcha. S2 does start a bit slowly and really picks up, particularly with episode 4. Other than the one big stinker episode, the final 2/3rds of the season is really good. If you liked S1, then S2's about to get back to that level.

One problem with S2 that does more or less remain constant is the scatteredness. Reviews put it as the show in danger of being swallowed up in it's own mythology, and think that's accurate at times. I don't think it's there yet, but you can see it happening.

Good call on Sling Blade. It does have that same feeling.

I know what you mean about Abigail. Even the smallest, most backwards Southern towns have smoking hot women too though.

Mama Holden's pretty damn goodlooking for her age too. I love her performance in this.

pollardsvision said:

The thing is Season 1 did grab me, and I was eagerly looking forward to season 2. I'm 2.5 episodes in, and it seems like there are a million people with vague alliances, and trumped up drama. The story just seems ridiculous, and obviously I am suspending disbelief with regard to the SciFi aspect.

Re Rectify, it kind of reminds me a little bit of Sling Blade in its tone, feeling of contemplation and foreboding. If I have one quibble (and it isn't much of a quibble), i have a hard time thinking of Abigail Spencer growing up in this town. She is almost distractingly beautiful and put together for her upbringing.
Amantha isn't as put together as it seems. Her driving force for a long time has been working to get her brother freed. Things like finishing college or having her own husband and kids have taken a back seat. Now that he''s out, her life is kind of empty.

pollardsvision said:

Amantha isn't as put together as it seems. Her driving force for a long time has been working to get her brother freed. Things like finishing college or having her own husband and kids have taken a back seat. Now that he''s out, her life is kind of empty.
Fair point, she just sticks out to me amongst the hillbillies and rednecks. Oh--and who names their kid Amantha?

Loved that last episode.

The entire birthday party was really some of Rectify's best work. Charlie the Chaplain was awesome. Hope he makes another visit.

I can't get enough of Lezley with a Z: "Grab the microwave and the Dinty Moore" "Either you go pry that bottle of scotch out of that man's hands, or go et the dolly"

Ted Sr. has put himself in the lead for most awesome step-dad in TV history, I think.

This is hilarious!! My gf text me about this show on weds. We are just sitting down to watch season 1 episode 1 and this thread is staring me in the face lol

I really like stoned Amantha. Though, I'm yet to find an Amantha that don't really like.

I'm terrified of what Trey's going to do with the contents of that damn bag. The trailer scenes were great, but I couldn't really appreciate them because I'm so worried about the trap Daniel's just walked into.

I kind of hope we never find out who did it.

BTW, this is the first show I've actually paid to watch ala carte. Decided to make some cuts to the cable bill a couple weeks before stumbling across S1 of Rectified. I didn't check to be sure we kept Sundance as part of the package (did make sure to keep BBCA for Orphan Black). Sure enough, it's not. $8 a month to watch this show is still cheaper than going back up a cable tier, I guess (plus I own each episode and can watch anytime, commercial free without using up DVR space).

Of course, Sundance then turns around and comes out with that Maggie Gyllenhaal thing I'd really like to see too (Honorable Woman). It's just a 6 episode mini-series though.

Every episode is just more soul-crushing than the last.

From the "you're a good man, Ted" scene straight to the Senator calling to ruin another ally of Daniel's (complete with Daniel's toothpick log cabin falling as Ted answers the phone). Ugh.

Pretty gut-wrenching episode combined with the opening scene of Daniel leaving fingerprints all over the effects of a dead man.

Solid episode. It tested the limits of just how much Tawney/Ted Jr. I can stand, but those two were great in those scenes.

We need more Daniel and Amantha hanging out in parking lots.

The banishment dilemma is interesting. Pretty funny that on the wiki page for Echols County, GA, the fact that it's a popular GA banishment destination for criminals is in the 3rd paragraph. Not much going on in Echols County, GA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echols_County%2C_Georgia

The Tawney/Ted Jr scene was amazing

felt like the plot moved a bit too fast this last ep, but the intensity and tension is amazing

season finale spoilers abound

Sepinwall:

"Rectify" just wrapped up its second season, a couple of days after Sundance ordered a third. I spoke briefly with Ray McKinnon about the season, and I have a review of the finale coming up just as soon as I hoard food under stress...

"It's not complicated. I just want it to be over, Jon. Don't you?" -Daniel

I watched "Unhinged" a few days before the renewal announcement, and instantly thought of how angry I would be if Sundance hadn't renewed it, not only because the show is so wonderful (and such a perfect example of what Sundance should be aspiring to make and promote), but because the episode doesn't remotely work as a series finale. Season 1's finale would have worked as an ending — albeit a very bleak one — to Daniel's story if Sundance had never ordered more. "Unhinged," on the other hand, leaves so much up in the air — whether the judge will accept the plea deal, whether Carl will keep investigating Trey's role (especially now that George's body has been discovered), what impact Ted Jr.'s desire to press assault charges against Daniel will play in the other two matters — that it almost plays like McKinnon thumbing his nose at the idea of closure, and/or daring Sundance to cancel him.

McKinnon, though, said he wasn't thinking about anything but following the story where it went — and trying to stay true to the show's philosophy of defying convention. And "Unhinged" does play like an episode of "Rectify," albeit on the plottier end of the show's spectrum.

The episode's magnificent, complicated centerpiece is Daniel providing the debrief to the current and former prosecutors. This is a role that Aden Young is so often asked to play in silence, or with brief, cryptic bursts of dialogue. Here, asked to deliver a pair of lengthy monologues about the events surrounding Hanna's death (interrupted only by a commercial break and occasional interjections from Foulkes and Jon), he is absolutely riveting, even as his performance and the scene continue to leave much ambiguity as to what actually happened. We know by now that Daniel simply wants this matter to be over with so he can free his loved ones from the burden of being hurt by his presence (if nothing else, he knows that what he did to Ted Jr. must be met with exile at a minimum), yet he spends a very long time building up to a version of events where he was not the killer. Then, after an argument with Jon, he continues in that vein before pivoting abruptly to give Foulkes exactly what he wants to hear. Is this the truth? Is the earlier version a cover so Daniel can feel disconnected from what he might have done to Hanna, or a way to let Foulkes dangle on the edge of a rope for a little bit as punishment for what he put the younger Daniel through? How much does he genuinely remember? I have no idea, and Young's performance and the construction of the scene allows for multiple interpretations. It may be that Trey is the only character on the show who genuinely knows what happens, and it's certainly not in his best interest to tell anyone, so I could imagine a scenario where the show ends without ever telling us, even as it perhaps brings the emotional story of Daniel (and of Amantha, Tawney, Janet, Ted Jr., etc.) to a more proper close than we got here.

The rest of the episode is pretty terrific in its own right, from Tawney letting Ted Jr. know that Daniel told her of the assault at the exact wrong moment(*), to Amantha having a final conversation with Daniel while she's still "this person one more time," to Jared sneaking into Hanna's room to get some sense of what his half-brother might have been up to all those years ago. It demonstrates the same curiosity about its ensemble that the entire series has to date. Season 2 unexpectedly and marvelously turned out to be a big year for Ted Jr., and I can imagine Jared being pushed into the spotlight next year (or Janet even more than she was this year) and it being just as fascinating. Hell, I could even imagine a third season where Foulkes becomes less of a heavy.

(*) My favorite part of that scene is at the beginning, when Teddy slips some cash into Tawney's purse before she comes downstairs. Both there and when he offers to help her out in whatever she's doing next, we are reminded that while Ted is not the greatest human being alive (that would likely be his father), he is capable of generosity, and reflection. He knows he did many bad things in this marriage as well, and he also cares enough for Tawney to help her even as she's leaving him. And then all that empathy and introspection just gets crumpled up along with the letter when he realizes that Tawney spent the night with Daniel (even if he doesn't know, like we do, that no sex was involved).

What a great year. I wondered if the show had enough life in it for a second season, let alone a longer second season, and it absolutely did. With four extra episodes, we got the trip to Atlanta, we got an extended stay with Lezlie-with-a-Z, we got Amantha trying to figure out a life separate from her crusading for Daniel, we got Ted Sr. being a saint without being a cartoon, and we got so many spectacular moments with Daniel, with Tawney, with Ted Jr. and Janet and everyone else.
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/season-finale-review-rectify-unhinged-debrief-encounter#3A3hJvORFd5TTX7O.99

I watched all 6 episodes from seaso 1. Suprised it only has 6 episodes. If things dont pick up quick im gonna have to check out. Just seems a bit boring....

Season 2 has 10, but I don't know if that'll keep you interested if you're not already. I think the 2nd season is better than the first, though YMMV. It's not a fast-paced show, but season 2 covers a much longer time frame than S1's one week.

It's a slow-burner with depth and nuance...the characters are dealing with aftermath and trauma of recent events and events from 20 years ago.

Brilliant finale. Very appropriate for this show and every scene was gripping.

Loved both Amantha/Daniel scenes. The contrast between the two was heartbreaking.

Daniel's "confession" was obviously some his best work.

It seems pretty clear that this thing was never not going to trial.

I love this show because it doesn't need big surprises, and the major events are still just as intense even if you could see them coming from a mile away.

Season 2 has 10, but I don't know if that'll keep you interested if you're not already. I think the 2nd season is better than the first, though YMMV. It's not a fast-paced show, but season 2 covers a much longer time frame than S1's one week.
Yeah, I think it would be a very frustrating show for most people to watch. My MIL has seen us watching it a few times, and every time she asks "Did he do it?" and seems a little confused that the audience really has no clue this far into it.

I recommend a lot of shows to a lot of people, but this one is really tough to recommend to some people.

I'd love to see what the twitter ####storm over the S2 finale would've looked like if this show actually had viewers. I assume it wouldn't have gone over well with most, but it's perfect for this show.

Just watched the first two episodes of season one.

Holy crap is this show is slow.
It doesn't really speed up, though there are short bursts of action (making them all the more effective, IMO). Anyone expecting the hyper action of something like Breaking Bad or Game Of Thrones is going to be disappointed. I imagine trying to binge watch Rectify could be painful. I think this is a show that's better watching one episode at a time.

I'm in love with Amantha.

Just binged the first two seasons.

It's a top 20 show ever at this rate.

BB, The Wire and Soprano's up there for me. So is Six Feet Under. This a different show but if you like Six Feet Under you'll be the type that enjoys this.

Great premiere.

Excited they've renewed for a 4th season already. Though, I guess it's not a surprise.

AV Club Review

At the bar where Jon meets Amantha to have their own little debriefing, he urges her to help Daniel through the 30-day grace period he has to get his affairs in order before the banishment begins. “He still has to live his life.”

“So do we all,” she says. “Hoorah.”

A fitting title. “Hoorah” is mostly about everyone trying to keep living their lives in the immediate aftermath of Daniel’s confession. Daniel’s the reason everyone came together, and now that he’s leaving everyone’s pulling apart. When Daniel was released from Death Row, everyone was there to see him. When he was signing his own banishment order, none of the family is there. It’s so strange to see Ted Sr. working on the kitchen when Daniel gets home, like it’s any other day. That’s one ofRectify’s gifts, reframing the ordinary as exotic.

The first sign that season three is getting off on the right foot is that it starts with Ted Jr. On a show of philosophical zags and Southern manners, Teddy’s so down to earth he’s crawling through mud, and Clayne Crawford is television’s best kept secret. That’s our way back in. The production doesn’t execute the Twix fiasco quite right—now the next person who wants a Twix has to pay twice—but life being unfair to Teddy and the law bending the rules are exactly right. Ray McKinnon quickly walks back the plot about Teddy pressing charges against Daniel for his assault, one of the quirks of everything happening at once in the final minutes of season two, and it retroactively adds some grace to that final montage. No, the Trey-George angle of the case isn’t reopened in the nick of time, but Daniel does sign his confession just in time to defuse his brother-in-law. Teddy reminds us, “I didn’t want to press charges in the first place.” No, but he did decide to press charges in a fit of pique about an exaggerated affair between his wife and Daniel. Rectify lives in these gray areas, the nuances between yes and no.

That night at dinner, like a lot of scenes in “Hoorah,” is a series of flashbacks to Daniel’s confession, including its culmination in a tragic mix-up: Janet is sure that Daniel used to love Willy D’s barbecue, but it turns out that was Teddy’s favorite. Foreshadowing? Janet insists that Daniel used to love Willy D’s in that passive-aggressive Southern small-talk kind of way, and he tells her, “Maybe so. I just don’t remember,” which is also his position on his own criminal guilt. When Teddy shows up, Daniel tells him he’s sorry. “Sorry for what?” Ted demands, like Faulkes wanting to hear his accusations publicly validated.

Maybe Daniel is having an emotional affair with Tawney, but it’s awfully intermittent, and it’s certainly not sexual. But it’s so human that Teddy can only see his projection. He thinks Daniel told Tawney about the assault to emasculate him in order to take Tawney away from him, because that’s the kind of thing Teddy would do, and he thinks Tawney’s impressed by masculinity because that’s what he’s so insecure about. In his review, Matt Zoller Seitz points out Daniel’s dishonesty, but it seems to me that Daniel is almost masochistically honest, most clearly in this conversation with Teddy. Daniel tells Teddy, “She was confused about her situation, and I felt that telling her might help her clarify things.” He was trying to help Teddy. He was trying to explain to Tawney that her husband has been traumatized, and that’s why he’s been so prickly lately. But with the way Daniel speaks and the thoughts Teddy has, it comes off like he’s trying to come in between the Talbots. Daniel doesn’t often volunteer information, but that goes both ways. He doesn’t stick up for himself, either. He accepts disproportionate blame in all kinds of situations, and he lets Teddy mistake his intentions with no possibility for redemption because he’s the only one in a position to explain himself. Meanwhile there’s Teddy’s polite lies (“Maybe she’s got her appetite back”) and Ted and Janet talking about whether to tell Jared family news right in front of him and Amantha hiding out from both of the men she loves. Daniel’s just about the only one who can face up to darkness.

Eventually he fantasizes about his execution, which he’s never done before. He’s thought about the day coming, and he’s imagined the slow walk to the chamber, but he’s never made it as far as being strapped to a gurney and spotting his mom in the gallery. “Hoorah” cuts to Daniel enjoying a park before the execution proper. Maybe that’s how he imagines his banishment. He’s confessed to the crime, and his punishment approaches. He’s going to have to say goodbye to his family.

The park scene, like pretty much every scene of Daniel alone experiencing the world, is a great showcase for Aden Young as well as for Ray McKinnon’s penchant for misunderstandings. Daniel’s trying to be friendly to a mother on the playground, but he’s a strange bird, and she’s naturally suspicious. He tries to put her at ease, but it only makes him come off creepier, and eventually he walks off with his serial-killer duffel bag so the woman can breathe. But we see the poignancy in his description of the park. He says he’s never had the chance to read outside “under the big blue sky,” and Young plays that phrase spontaneously, like it’s only then hitting Daniel how grand it is to read in the open air. “It’s almost too much.”

He’s avoiding telling Janet about assaulting Teddy, which is part one of Ted Sr.’s demands, and which is entirely in keeping with my take on Daniel’s honesty. He wouldn’t deny it or lie, and I suspect he will tell her soon. He’s just extraordinarily pensive. The second demand is a miniature banishment ahead of the big one. Ted kicks him out. So now he and Tawney are both dislodged from their lives. She’s bunking with the greatest woman who ever lived, Beth, and he’s staying with Amantha. By the end, both duos are emotionally doubling down on the season two finale. Amantha impresses upon Daniel once again that she can’t keep reaching for him, that he’s going to have to try himself, and Teddy gets momentarily nasty, forfeiting his shot at a quick reconciliation with Tawney. They all still have to live their lives. Hoorah.

At the end of season two of Rectify, I thought the question of Daniel Holden’s guilt had been settled. I asked around and some people disagreed, but even the hesitance of the people who agreed with me was my clue to watch again and pay closer attention this time. I was seeing what I wanted to see. What I had pieced together from Trey’s bender with Daniel and Daniel’s debriefing, along with bits and pieces from season one, is that Daniel didn’t rape Hanna, didn’t murder her, and was coerced into confessing. But we don’t really know, and there’s no reason a coerced confession can’t coexist with Daniel having done it.

When I read Abigail Spencer’s thoughts on the matter, my jaw dropped. “I’m going to steal a Ray McKinnon line. He said, ‘I think he did it, but I think he feels real bad about it.’” I thought I had accounted for that possibility, accepted what it would mean, made peace with it. Boy, was I wrong. Now even Amantha’s “beginning to wonder.”

Stray observations
  • “Hoorah” is written by Ray McKinnon and directed by Stephen Gyllenhaal.
  • Another great Teddy scene is when he thinks Tawney came home and then realizes he was just hearing things. Television and movies never show the weird things we do when we’re alone. I’ve never quite had that experience, but it’s not far off.
  • Amantha and Jon talk about whether either was using the other when they first met. Amantha: “Certainly wasn’t premeditated now. Maybe it was. Doesn’t matter now.” Every third conversation seems to apply to Daniel.
  • Jared and Claire are practicing their theatre class exercise. “Was it like they say?” “What do they say?” “You know what they say.” “It was like they say.”
  • Janet asks Ted if he saw Daniel the morning after he leaves. “No, not this morning… He didn’t say anything to you?” Another lie, another pleasantry with an agenda.
  • I didn’t have room for it in the main review, but another strength of Rectify is on display in the exchange between Janet and Teddy. “I wish I hadn’t asked you to call me Janet.” He buckles. He’s trying not to cry, but he can’t look her in the eye, and he can’t pull off the nonchalance he’s going for. His body and voice betray him. “No biggie.” Rectify is so coiled that it can release a ton of emotion just like that, and it’s all the more powerful because the characters are trying to fight it.
  • Is Amantha a managerial candidate? Good metaphor. One employee has already found her place, and another is stopping at Thrifty Town on the way to somewhere else. But for Amantha, it’s time to decide. Is she planning to stay in Paulie or what?
  • “Marital problems or whatever.” That “or whatever” is Teddy’s defense mechanism. He can’t bring himself to say they’re having problems. He leaves himself a way out.
  • Faulkes’ stroke is a sad twist, not least for the sight of half of Michael O’Neill’s face drooping on the spot.
  • In case you missed it, Rectify was already renewed for a fourth season! So whatever happens this season, the show isn’t winding down.
  • If you’re looking to fill the time before episode two, check out Chuck Reece’sclose-up on McKinnon, Rectify, and Southern-ness for The Bitter Southerner. Among other things, he makes a sharp point about Rectify and The Andy Griffith Show.
  • Finally, Sundance has launched a Rectify podcast, a pitch-perfect Serial riff that I hope ends with the host eloping with Daniel (and that Sonia Saraiya wrote aboutat Salon). We’re probably not the only ones, but we pointed out the connection between the shows in our list of 2014’s best TV.

Clayne Crawford (Teddy) doing some stellar work this season.

I loved Jared's line about people talking around things

Just such an emotionally raw episode...something about Mitch rubs me the wrong way

Teddy Jr is a great ahole. just watched the episode in s2 where he tells the Sheriff about Daniel and the coffee grinds. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread