What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Preston Brown (1 Viewer)

onionsack

Footballguy
To say this guy is flying under the radar would be a massive understatement. Jene has at least 35 other IDPs ranked ahead of him on his combined draft board…Bloom has him at #38. No one at FBG (or at any other FF site I visit) has him ranked in the top 20 IDPs. On the recent hour and ten minute Audible covering the rookie IDPs, he didn’t merit even a single mention. He has been passed over entirely in all but a handful of Zealots drafts…and yet I think people might really be missing the boat on this guy.

First there are his physical attributes: Prototypical size at a shade over 6’1 ¼” and 251 pounds. Long 33 ½” arms and big 10 ¼” hands. Excellent numbers at the combine: 4.78 40, 33.0” vertical (34.5” at his pro day), 9’08” broad jump, 4.26 SS, 6.98 3-cone. 23 reps (26 at his pro day). Outstanding athlete who was recruited as both a RB and LB. The quick 3-cone time in particular grabs my attention, as this seems to most reflect the movement skills required by a linebacker.

Then there is his production. Led Cardinals in tackles as a junior (109) and senior (98). In 2013 he racked up 4.5 sacks and 12.5 TFL, 3 FF and also returned a fumble 48 yards for a TD. Dominant 13-tackle performance in the Sugar Bowl victory over Florida. Very impressive performance at the Shrine Game practices where he “destroyed some players on the jam and was very active all day.” He's generally regarded as an instinctive, violent downhill tackler with the ability to shed blocks, blitz on occasion, and provide at least modest coverage skills.

Next there is his draft position. I clearly put more stock in this than others, but all else being equal, I just think the guys who get a chance to kick the tires on the prospects, and who are privy to more tape, interviews, medical reports, practice sessions and insider information on players than the rest of us generally know what they are doing. And with guys like Borland, Barrow, Williamson, Telvin Smith etc.. still on the board, they went with Preston Brown early in the third round - at a point in the draft where teams are looking for, and expecting to find, prospective starters. After Mosley, this guy is arguably the second true MIKE player to come off the board.

Finally there is the opportunity. The Bills were gouged by the run last year (#28 overall vs. the run) and brought in Brandon Spikes to stanch the hemorrhaging. But he is on a one-year contract, and is the very definition of a two-down thumper. Spikes’ career has also been marked by both injuries and suspensions, and he’s all that stands in the way of inheriting a plum IDP role. Brown could easily prove to be a cheaper, more versatile and more reliable replacement altogether in 2015.

Since the draft, Brown’s done nothing but impress, running the first-team defense and making all the pre-snap calls at OTAs in the absence of Brandon Spikes, making plays, garnering effusive praise, and pushing for immediate action in sub packages.

So why has this guy become the Rodney Dangerfield of IDPs? He’s hardly a sure-thing, but he seems a better gamble to me than many players who are being drafted ahead of him. I won’t be the least bit surprised if he makes a mockery of his current ADP at some point.

Right now he is a passing downs liability. If that changes he could be a monster. Like him as a stash and see, especially given the contracts of those he is competing with,

MAC_32 said:
Right now he is a passing downs liability. If that changes he could be a monster. Like him as a stash and see, especially given the contracts of those he is competing with,
Coverage ability is obviously the big question, but I'm not sure he can be characterized as a "liability" just because he wasn't asked to drop into coverage much in college.

MAC_32 said:
Yes, that's the knock I keep hearing, but he really wasn't asked to drop into coverage much in college, at least judging from the clips I've seen and reports I've read. But in this regard he's no different from Borland and others who somehow avoid the knock. I guess what I'm wondering is this: In terms of coverage ability, is absence of evidence evidence of absence? He seems to have the physical skills and athletic tools to eventually handle a 3-down role and seems to be making plays in coverage already (albeit in OTAs where I admit it's hard to put much stock in a player's performance). Moreover, plenty of two-down thumpers have carved out a decent IDP niche, and it seems like a 65-solo/25 assist season would be about his floor if (when?) he assumes that role. Anyway, as you say, a decent "stash and see" option..

In his NFL.com scouting report Nolan Nawrocki describes Brown as a "two-down thumper vs the run." I hearing a lot of people (that have probably never seen him play) echo that report. I knew that the Vikings were interested Preston Brown prior to the draft so I watched most of his clips on draft breakdown. He was one of the more impressive inside linebacker especially at shedding blocks.

I drafted Preston Brown in the 5th round of my rookie draft - knowing that I probably could get him there. The question I asked myself was if Brown is a "two-down thumper" why did they the Bills take him in the top of the 3rd round? It doesn't make a lot of sense for them to take a run stuffer there. Contrary to others, I don't think most NFL scouting departments are stupid. They are going to give him every opportunity to be their future Mike. I don't buy that he is too unathletic to be a three down linebacker. If Vontaze Burfict can do it, then Brown certainly can.

MAC_32 said:
Coverage ability is obviously the big question, but I'm not sure he can be characterized as a "liability" just because he wasn't asked to drop into coverage much in college.

MAC_32 said:
Yes, that's the knock I keep hearing, but he really wasn't asked to drop into coverage much in college, at least judging from the clips I've seen and reports I've read. But in this regard he's no different from Borland and others who somehow avoid the knock. I guess what I'm wondering is this: In terms of coverage ability, is absence of evidence evidence of absence? He seems to have the physical skills and athletic tools to eventually handle a 3-down role and seems to be making plays in coverage already (albeit in OTAs where I admit it's hard to put much stock in a player's performance). Moreover, plenty of two-down thumpers have carved out a decent IDP niche, and it seems like a 65-solo/25 assist season would be about his floor if (when?) he assumes that role. Anyway, as you say, a decent "stash and see" option..
The big difference that I saw in him vs. Borland is Borland seems to have more natural instincts. It gives him that extra step edge less athletic guys like him and Brown need. Borland may have been drafted into a great long term situation, but it may be a while before owners see dividends, unfortunately.

In his NFL.com scouting report Nolan Nawrocki describes Brown as a "two-down thumper vs the run." I hearing a lot of people (that have probably never seen him play) echo that report. I knew that the Vikings were interested Preston Brown prior to the draft so I watched most of his clips on draft breakdown. He was one of the more impressive inside linebacker especially at shedding blocks.

I drafted Preston Brown in the 5th round of my rookie draft - knowing that I probably could get him there. The question I asked myself was if Brown is a "two-down thumper" why did they the Bills take him in the top of the 3rd round? It doesn't make a lot of sense for them to take a run stuffer there. Contrary to others, I don't think most NFL scouting departments are stupid. They are going to give him every opportunity to be their future Mike. I don't buy that he is too unathletic to be a three down linebacker. If Vontaze Burfict can do it, then Brown certainly can.
Burfict didn't have athleticism issues, he had 'does he care' issues. Brown has a tendency to play stiff and his change of direction isn't that great, tough to make a coverage LB out of that. Having someone like Kiko along side him can absolutely help mask the issues though.

And, yes, I watched a lot of Louisville football. Their QB was kinda interesting. And I am definitely not stealing an opinion from a race baiting hack like Nawrocki. :no:

Burfict didn't have athleticism issues, he had 'does he care' issues. Brown has a tendency to play stiff and his change of direction isn't that great, tough to make a coverage LB out of that. Having someone like Kiko along side him can absolutely help mask the issues though.And, yes, I watched a lot of Louisville football. Their QB was kinda interesting. And I am definitely not stealing an opinion from a race baiting hack like Nawrocki. :no:
Oh OK...http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89437&draftyear=2012&genpos=ILB

Burfict didn't have athleticism issues, he had 'does he care' issues. Brown has a tendency to play stiff and his change of direction isn't that great, tough to make a coverage LB out of that. Having someone like Kiko along side him can absolutely help mask the issues though.And, yes, I watched a lot of Louisville football. Their QB was kinda interesting. And I am definitely not stealing an opinion from a race baiting hack like Nawrocki. :no:
Oh OK...http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89437&draftyear=2012&genpos=ILB
So you criticize for copying and pasting scouts out of one side of your mouth then cite them in the other?

Oh OK...

So you criticize for copying and pasting scouts out of one side of your mouth then cite them in the other?Oh OK...
For the record I wasn't responding to your post and I never mention you once. I was referring more to Bloom's commentary in his top 100.

So you criticize for copying and pasting scouts out of one side of your mouth then cite them in the other?Oh OK...
For the record I wasn't responding to your post and I never mention you once. I was referring more to Bloom's commentary in his top 100.
Gotcha, my bad.

What I said about Burfict is what I thought of him. He didn't work out well because he didn't put in the work, which was consistent with what happened to him in school. He didn't take to coaching, did his own thing, and didn't do the work off the field. Cannot fix 'do not care.' Becoming a UDFA is apparently what he needed to be smacked across the brow. Having Zimmer around probably helped too.

I'm stashing him in a couple of leagues. I like the potential oppurtunity. If not this year next year

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2102717-is-middle-linebacker-the-nfls-next-forgotten-position

...Perhaps the highest-touted classic 4-3 middle linebacker prospect was Louisville's Preston Brown. NFL Media's Mike Mayock called Brown "a throwback type of player." NFL.com's Nolan Nawrocki said he's "most ideally suited as a two-down thumper vs. the run," and projected the 6'1", 251-pound Brown (a "physical tackler" with "good football intelligence") as a fourth- or fifth-round pick.

Why? "Tightness in his movement," wrote Nawrocki, along with a lack of depth, range and instincts in coverage. He also "struggles" to cover tight ends man-to-man. The bottom line? A middle linebacker who can't cover like an outside linebacker doesn't have much value.

Per Rotoworld: Sources tell the Buffalo News that the Bills are looking to third-round LB Preston Brown to replace WLB Kiko Alonso.

Per Rotoworld: Sources tell the Buffalo News that the Bills are looking to third-round LB Preston Brown to replace WLB Kiko Alonso.
Cofirmation.

That is what they want and they are spinning that he looked impressive in mini-camp but their are some other candidates in the picture.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-see-rookie-filling-alonsos-shoes-20140703

Bills see rookie filling Alonso’s shoesThird-round pick Brown impressive in minicamp

By Tim Graham | News Sports Reporter | @ByTimGraham |

The Buffalo Bills are coming to grips with the news Kiko Alonso’s season is over before it began.

Bills General Manager Doug Whaley released a statement Wednesday that confirms Alonso’s knee injury likely will sideline him all year.

“Unfortunately, he suffered a torn ACL in his left knee and will most likely miss the 2014 season,” Whaley said. “He will be scheduled for surgery in the near future and begin a rehabilitation program at the appropriate time.

“We feel badly for Kiko because he has worked very hard this offseason in preparation for the upcoming season, but we look forward to his return with his style of play that made him one of the league’s outstanding rookies in 2013.”

So who is the next man up at weak-side linebacker?

The obvious candidates for fans to consider are newcomer Keith Rivers and Nigel Bradham, the third-year pro who started two of the last four games at that spot.

Rivers and Bradham, though, are not who the Bills think can help the most. Sources say they are looking at rookie Preston Brown.

The third-round draft pick from Louisville was outstanding at the team’s voluntary workouts and minicamp. Coaches raved behind the scenes about how well Brown practiced. The front office was thrilled with how he looked and Tuesday night became even more relieved they drafted him after word came about Alonso’s injury.

Brown is versatile. He was a tackling machine at Louisville and is a hefty 260 pounds. But he’s slick enough that the Bills used him as a first-unit nickel linebacker in spring practices.

Rivers is a veteran option. He was the ninth overall pick in the 2008 draft, but injuries have limited his career. In two seasons with the New York Giants, he started 15 games and recorded one sack with no interceptions, no forced fumbles and two recoveries.

Bradham’s importance increases, too. But he couldn’t unseat Arthur Moats from the starting lineup until Week 14.

Moats, a fan favorite for his personality and charitable works, was pedestrian on the field last season. The Bills let Moats leave in free agency.

Bradham made 38 tackles on defense with no sacks, interceptions, forced fumbles or recoveries. He finished second with 13 special-teams tackles.

Wish rotoworld wouldn't be fighting it's own agenda. I picked up Bradham in a couple leagues but am rooting for Brown. They've had conflicting reports at who sets first shot, even suggesting Rivers goes to the WILL and Brown to the strong side.

Ive picked up Rivers and Bradham in one league where we start 4 LB.

Before kick off I need to cut 6 players. I'm fully expecting both these guys to be on that list.

But maybe one of them shows enough to justify a spot.

Any chance he starts over Rivers or Bradham this week?
Rivers left the Bears game with a groin injury, so Brown could potentially replace him in the lineup. I think Bradham will see time in the nickel though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice stat line. How did he look?
Bills were without Bradham due to suspension and Rivers left the game early, so they had to rely on Brown more than they might have liked. He did ok, but not sure he's ready for a full-time role.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
msommer said:
Bills were without Bradham due to suspension and Rivers left the game early, so they had to rely on Brown more than they might have liked. He did ok, but not sure he's ready for a full-time role.
is bradham back, or was it a 4 week thing?
Back for week 2.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
msommer said:
is bradham back, or was it a 4 week thing?
just a 1 game suspension. he's back this week.

Here are snap counts at LB from week 2:

• LB Preston Brown - 79 (100.0%)
  • LB Nigel Bradham - 66 (83.5%)
  • LB Brandon Spikes - 15 (19.0%)
If this continues next week, after Bradham has had another week with the D, I'd call that a trend.....

Here are snap counts at LB from week 2:

• LB Preston Brown - 79 (100.0%)
  • LB Nigel Bradham - 66 (83.5%)
  • LB Brandon Spikes - 15 (19.0%)
If this continues next week, after Bradham has had another week with the D, I'd call that a trend.....
It's a passing league, and Brown and Bradham are the nickel LBs.

I grabbed Spikes in two leagues, frankly ignoring my opinion of him, and buying a bit of the preseason "gonna play a lot" stuff. He's a running game thumper, and liability in the passing game. Not a ton of chances to perform.

Spikes may even be droppable in a few weeks.

Does anyone knows the status as to whether Brown has played himself into the full-time starting role over Rivers?

Personally, I thought Brown struggled in coverage on Sunday against the Chargers. But he's played every snap this year and looks like he's the dime LB over Bradham.

Certainly looks like he's got a full-time job. Would be strange to go from letting him play everydown to starting Rivers over him.

Personally, I thought Brown was struggled in coverage on Sunday against the Chargers. But he's played every snap this year and looks like he's the dime LB over Bradham.

Certainly looks like he's got a full-time job. Would be strange to go from letting him play everydown to starting Rivers over him.
Yeah, that's my feeling as well. I just wish we knew something because I'd rather make a claim on another LB this week and drop him if he was going back to 2nd string than to wait for waivers to process and miss out on a player seeing more snaps.

This man seemed like he was all over the field...I thought Rivers was going to mess with his numbers, but he still was productive

Rivers did mess with his numbers. But WLB Nigel Bradham got hurt at the start of the 3rd quarter. Brown had 1 tackle, 2 assists, playing in a part-time role up until that point. Finished 5-4.

he didn't start the game, but looks like he played more snaps than expected because of the Bradham injury.

Bills seem to like him better in subpackages than in their base defense when everybody is healthy.

Well if he's not a 4 down Linebacker, he's not worth it. Can you really depend on someone to get injured for him to make an impact? I was wondering why his 1st half numbers were subpar.

Rotoworld be damned. He will play and produce. He's a producer. I'm starting him this week against DET and expect combined tackles totaling 10. If he fails, he's not a producer. Just a product...of my imagination :)

Chapelboy said:
Rotoworld be damned. He will play and produce. He's a producer. I'm starting him this week against DET and expect combined tackles totaling 10. If he fails, he's not a producer. Just a product...of my imagination :)
He is playing and not producing. He's not a producer. Your imagination, not so good.

Chapelboy said:
He is playing and not producing. He's not a producer. Your imagination, not so good.
I'll have to go to the videotape, but all indications are yes, you are correct :) major fail right here

I got burned by him too, and I was under the assumption that, with Brandham injured, he'd be primed for a good start, but 8 points is terrible for a lb. is he even worth keeping on my roster?

I don't know what to do with him. I had Kiko Alonso last year, and he was awesome, so I hoped for the same, maybe even be as good as Alonso, but I don't know anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread