What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Warren Sapp- Boy doesn't tip (1 Viewer)

avoiding injuries

Footballguy
http://m.nydailynews...ticle-1.1852843

Warren Sapp was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct on Tuesday.

The Hall of Fame defensive tackle was outed on Twitter for not leaving a tip for a 26-year-old waitress after watching the U.S. vs. Belgium World Cup game at Upper Deck Sports Bar and Grill in Miami.

The bill cost $69.39, but Sapp wrote on it boys dont tip, after the waitress called Sapp and his friend boys.

Sapp defended his actions on Twitter, also adding that the service was indeed poor.

She kept calling us boys so the tip Fit! Sapp said.

The waitress, who is only going by Corey, spoke with WINZ-AM in Miami to give her side of the story.

I walked over to his table. It was him and one other guy and I said, 'Hey boys, what I can I get you to drink?' And he was like 'We're not boys. I'm a man,'" Corey told the radio station. "I mean, saying 'Hey men, what do you want to drink?' sounds kind of weird, I think. I go with 'boys' a lot. It sounds more youthful."

Corey added she did not think calling them boys was offensive.

Itd just be [like] if I went up to a table of girls, Id say hey girls--or hey ladies.

He got there at 3:20 p.m....And he left probably an hour after [the match] and his service wasnt terrible, Corey said.

Corey also said she did not post the receipt on Twitter. She sent the photo to her sister who posted it to social media, leading it to go viral.

Sapp is not the first famous athlete Corey served. She said on WINZ-AM that she also once served Dan Marino and said he was 'nicest person ever' and they talked about Ace Ventura.

Yea, saw this on the news. At first I agreed with Sapp based on what was printed in the article. Then I heard several more unbiased views of what happened and it became fairly obvious Sapp was just a giant doosh.

At least he's consistent.

Getting offended for a waitress greeting you with "hey boys..."? Enough to write boys don't tip?

He is terrible.

There were tons of stories of Sapp being a D to people when he played back here in Tampa. The only reason this is news is because of social media & the picture of the receipt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't stand him. Wish he did something more serious so he'd get fired from NFL Network.
Sapp beat his girlfriend and owes his ex-wife almost a million in back child support and alimony. No wonder his does not tip..times are tough.

Dan Marino being the nicest person ever seems awfully fishy, since he is supposedly almost as big a ##### as Sapp.

Can't stand him. Wish he did something more serious so he'd get fired from NFL Network.
Sapp beat his girlfriend and owes his ex-wife almost a million in back child support and alimony. No wonder his does not tip..times are tough.
I'm actually on his side for the child support thing. He had to go bankrupt to get the child support lowered. He was still paying CS like he was making an NFL players salary. All that being said he is still a jerk. I'm still a huge fan of him as a player though. He was a once in a lifetime player.

What's up with the thread title? Warren is a 41 year old man....

ETA

ooops read the article and Good for him

For the waitress, consider it a very inexpensive, but valuable lesson ($6-7)

Sapp acts like an idiot. Boy is being generous.

Why do you think Sapp is so vocally against Strahan? They are both media hogs, but people actually like Strahan, he has other talents and seems like a far nicer person than Sapp.

On the field you'd likely agree they were fairly close in terms of careers - but Strahan has everything Sapp doesn't, and is obviously terribly envious of, off the field.

(Including some respect as a human being, terribly and deservedly lacking with Sapp)

Dan Marino being the nicest person ever seems awfully fishy, since he is supposedly almost as big a ##### as Sapp.
I met Marino once in an airport bar. Watched 2 hours of Ryder Cup with him and he was a genuinely nice guy to me and my buddies.

Sapp has always been known as a world-class ####### here. But he loves the area (or at least acts like it) and the Bucs.

Crazy how D Brooks is basically the exact opposite of him.

The more I hear these ridiculous stories of why people don't leave a tip, the more I'm convinced the whole compensation system for waitstaff is archaic and uncivilized.

If they went into Wendy's and the cashier said to them "Hey boys, what can I get you?" can the Wendy's manager deduct wages from the cashiers paycheck for that?

Nice way to play the race card against a waitress tryimg to be.friendly warren.

He gets paid well talk nonsense and make a fool of himself on tv and couldnt slip the girl a 20 like she deserved.

Warren Gumflapp is annoying POS. Him and Irvin are umbearable to watch as "analysts"

Sapp was being an jerk.

But it should be pointed out that many African-Americans are sensitive about being called boys and regard it as a racial slur. There is s history there.

The more I hear these ridiculous stories of why people don't leave a tip, the more I'm convinced the whole compensation system for waitstaff is archaic and uncivilized.

If they went into Wendy's and the cashier said to them "Hey boys, what can I get you?" can the Wendy's manager deduct wages from the cashiers paycheck for that?
It is archaic. The establishments benefit enormously from basically free labor while servers routinely get shafted. Gratuity needs to be added to the bills or servers should get a percentage of their sails, especially because they are routinely encouraged to push certain itemd.

The blame is really on the food service industry more than the public. The public is expected to be made up pf jerks.

As a former waiter there are few things as insulting as working hard to provide good service and get stiffed and onpy making $3 for an hour of hard work

There were tons of stories of Sapp being a D to people when he played back here in Tampa. The only reason this is news is because of social media & the picture of the receipt.
Yup. My buddy delivered him a pizza his rookie year and Sapp made him count every penny back of the change. I'm not sure if he called him "boy" though.

Everything I read about Sapp makes it seem like he's a huge #######.

Having said that, Black men generally don't like being called "Boy". If the server didn't know, that she knows it now. a $9-12 tip stiffing is not the worst way to learn this lesson.

Yup. My buddy delivered him a pizza his rookie year and Sapp made him count every penny back of the change. I'm not sure if he called him "boy" though.
Did Sapp say "show me the money"?

Having said that, Black men generally don't like being called "Boy". If the server didn't know, that she knows it now. a $9-12 tip stiffing is not the worst way to learn this lesson.
There's clearly a difference in calling a group of people "boys" and calling one single person "boy". There's a 0% chance she would have said "What can I get you, boy?" if he was sitting there alone.

There's clearly a difference in calling a group of people "boys" and calling one single person "boy". There's a 0% chance she would have said "What can I get you, boy?" if he was sitting there alone.
Nailed it.

Please be joking

It's stories like this where Warren got offended by a waitress referring to a couple of guys as boys that holds me back from showing sympathy in other situations where someone may be justified at being offended.

There is a massive difference between "hey boy," being said to a black man and " Hey boys. ..," from a waitress getting an order. Sapp is a putz and the lesson is that. . Not anything else.

Please be joking
Not joking. and I'm not defending Sapp, I generally think he's an ###. and I don't doubt that she probably meant nothing by what she said.

I also doubt she'll call another group of men boys next time. :shrug:

Please be joking
Not joking. and I'm not defending Sapp, I generally think he's an ###. and I don't doubt that she probably meant nothing by what she said.

When I go out with coworkers to a sports bar, Texas Roadhouse, or some less than formal restaurant, we usually get called boys, unless it's a male waiter. And even with male waiters, if it's some guy in his 60's or older, calling us boys isn't rare.

Wonder if Wayne simmonds gets offended.

coaches call the whole teams boys all the time..

let's get em boys...keep fighting boys

Please be joking

When I go out with coworkers to a sports bar, Texas Roadhouse, or some less than formal restaurant, we usually get called boys, unless it's a male waiter. And even with male waiters, if it's some guy in his 60's or older, calling us boys isn't rare.
I didn't realize you were black.

Sapp was being an jerk.

But it should be pointed out that many African-Americans are sensitive about being called boys and regard it as a racial slur. There is s history there.
:lmao:
You can spin just about any word to be deragatory if you determined enough to not leave a tip.
I just enjoy Tim making everything in to a sociopolitical discussion. Never fails.
I personally love him educating us on something that nearly every person reading this already knew.

I met Marino once in an airport bar. Watched 2 hours of Ryder Cup with him and he was a genuinely nice guy to me and my buddies.
I used to deliver to his house back when I was going to school. If he came out you weren't getting **** while he lived in his free mansion and collected millions. You better hope some other players were there or else nothing. And that reputation proceeds him all over South Florida. So tight he squeaks when he walks.

I never gotten the basic premise of tipping... a company hires an employee and then does not pay the employee, but expects the customer to pay said employee really no matter the quality of service rendered. One the great scams the business world pulls off on the American public.

Please be joking

I thought you were fishing because of the $9-$12 line. You take a table for over 2hrs throw percentages out the window and take care of your server.

Please be joking

I never realized they were calling me a racial slur.

I support Warren Sapp in this situation. That waitress should count herself lucky to still have a job.

Please be joking

I never realized they were calling me a racial slur.
I hate when people use it as age slur. Last week I had a disagreement with some jerk who called me a little boy. Turns out he was 35, 5 years older than me. I told him I was 30 and asked why kept calling me boy.

He said because when he was 18 I was 13 so im a kid to him. I told him....

"Thats moronic logic. We are grown men in our 30's now. I wouldnt consider some guy who is 25 to be a kid to me"

Oh.....and he was one of those who replaces his "Th"s with "D"s

Users who are viewing this thread