What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commish's Six Month...No Ten Month House REBUILD....and Now We're Moving (1 Viewer)

The Commish

Footballguy
We moved just about a year ago to a house that was built in 1992. When we were looking to purchase and had our house on the market, we found several that fit the bill, but all of them needed updating. I made a promise to my wife that we'd do renovations as quickly as possible wherever we landed. When selling our house we found ourselves making the improvements (to sell it) that we had on our list from day one but never got around to doing. So, here we go. It's a perfect time to be doing this as my wife and kids are on a summer vacation in FL, so I have the house all to myself. I plan on doing all the work except for the painting of the cabinets and the electrical.

Our kitchen remodel will include:

1. New appliances all around. Gas cooktop with downdraft ventilation, fridge, oven/microwave/warming drawer combo and dishwasher. Kitchenaid brand for anyone interested.

2. Raising the existing cabinets two inches from their current location.

3. Taking out the "bridge" over the sink.

4. Taking out the trash compactor and putting in a spot for a trash can.

5. Bigger crown molding around the cabinet tops.

6. Remove the existing wall cabinet the double oven is in and build a new one to accommodate the combo oven/microwave.

7. Installation of under cabinet electrical. This includes the outlets. Legrand makes a pretty slick system, but i need help with the wiring in the walls.

8. New backsplash

9. New hardware

10. Add slide out drawers to our pantry...make it more functional

Tasks for electrician:

1. Run wiring to accommodate pendant light over sink.

2. Run a new dedicated circuit for the warming drawer.

3. Split the 220 line running into my electric cooktop into two 110 lines. One for the cooktop, one for the ventilation.

4. Relocate existing wiring taking all the switches and outlets off the wall.

This is the before shot and where I plan to update progress. I am hoping to get most of the infrastructure kinds of things done this week outside the backsplash and electrical. Painting will happen in a couple weeks.....let the mocking begin!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA: No need for more threads. A week ago tomorrow (7/1/2015) a tree standing about 100 feet tall weighing in at over 15 tons fell right through the middle of our house. I had plans of renovating our half bath this summer, but the scope has increased significantly. We litterally have NO ROOF on our house. We're truly blessed that all the things valuable to us were saved. Now, we begin the rehab process. The tree has been removed and now securing the safety of the workers is the next step. I am assuming this is going to be a 6 - 9 month process. We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
We did a remodel last fall and got all KitchenAid appliances - gas range, fridge, dishwasher and hood vent. I haven't been totally thrilled. We had to have the electronics replaced on the range a couple of months ago after it would periodically "crash" and need a reboot via the circuit breaker. And last week the fridge started making an awful noise, turns out the freon is leaking, so it's getting repaired this week. And performance of them has only been ok, the dishwasher takes forever, the oven takes ages to preheat, etc. hopefully I just had bad luck and yours will work great, but if I had it to do over again I'd probably go with another brand.

Can I have your old kitchen when you're done with it?
This.

Nicer than mine and I just re-did it 2 years ago.

I'd put the 30K you're going to spend on this into your retirement fund and you'll be able to quit 3 years earlier

ChiefD said:
Dentist said:
randall146 said:
This.

I'd put the 30K you're going to spend on this into your retirement fund and you'll be able to quit 3 years earlier
If he's painting cabinets he's spending nowhere near 30k.
well, 12K then and 1 year earlier

Remodeled our kitchen when we first moved into our current house 10 years ago and couldn't be happier.

Hard work plus MAJOR sense of satisfaction and achievement out of that 3 week effort. (I should add that I had never done a home renovation project that big in my life so, yeah, it was a big deal for me)

To this day I still look at it with pride thinking "I did that".

Of course, the Mrs mentioned blasting out one of the main kitchen walls to give it a more open floor plan only a few of years after we did that remodel. Typical. ;)

Have fun, good luck and ENJOY!

Exciting project!

I'll be curious to hear from you or others about how well the downdraft ventilation works. I was told years ago to stay away from it... but I wonder if things have improved?

Pendant light over the sink, and in front of the window? Not sure I agree with that- unless it's above the window head... in which case, it's not much of a pendant and why not just go with recessed?

My eyes are tired... by "bigger crown" , are you talking about at the ceiling, or at the top of the cabinets? I prefer soffiting above cabinets to avoid the dust shelf... but I can't tell what you have there.

Is there any kind of transition in flooring between the kitchen and whatever space runs into it? The wood floors and wood cabinets is a bit much for me- would prefer new flooring or different finish on the cabinets.. Not the end of the world if this isn't an option- the kitchen looks very functional and I get the desire to have the continuous flooring.

RC94 said:
Are you going to reconfigure any of it, such as moving the cooktop?
cooktop is staying where it's at. going from 30 inch to 36 inch and putting a rising downdraft vent behind it. Don't really have another place for it and we didn't want to have to replace cabinets etc.

themeanmachine said:
We did a remodel last fall and got all KitchenAid appliances - gas range, fridge, dishwasher and hood vent. I haven't been totally thrilled. We had to have the electronics replaced on the range a couple of months ago after it would periodically "crash" and need a reboot via the circuit breaker. And last week the fridge started making an awful noise, turns out the freon is leaking, so it's getting repaired this week. And performance of them has only been ok, the dishwasher takes forever, the oven takes ages to preheat, etc. hopefully I just had bad luck and yours will work great, but if I had it to do over again I'd probably go with another brand.
In my research, I had heard rumblings of this about kitchenaid. The dealer was pretty upfront about it as well. These problems appeared to be in specific models and we tried to stay away from the problem children. We ended up spending a little more on "better" models. Time will tell if we were scammed or not ;) The dealer gave us a 8 year warranty on the entire purchase to quell my concern. We had a very similar experience to yours with GE Profile appliances in our last house.

Painting will happen in a couple weeks.
Good luck with that timeline. Stuff always pops up and you have to get off track to fix the unexpected. I just remodeled a bathroom and it took longer than expected. Though I didn't have help and work mostly in the evenings and weekends. Now the wife wants the other one done too... and she wants a new kitchen sink and counter tops. So the kitchen may be coming soon, so :blackdot:

Exciting project!

I'll be curious to hear from you or others about how well the downdraft ventilation works. I was told years ago to stay away from it... but I wonder if things have improved?

Pendant light over the sink, and in front of the window? Not sure I agree with that- unless it's above the window head... in which case, it's not much of a pendant and why not just go with recessed?

My eyes are tired... by "bigger crown" , are you talking about at the ceiling, or at the top of the cabinets? I prefer soffiting above cabinets to avoid the dust shelf... but I can't tell what you have there.

Is there any kind of transition in flooring between the kitchen and whatever space runs into it? The wood floors and wood cabinets is a bit much for me- would prefer new flooring or different finish on the cabinets.. Not the end of the world if this isn't an option- the kitchen looks very functional and I get the desire to have the continuous flooring.
Perhaps "pendant" light isn't correct. There will be some sort of light fixture coming from the ceiling. I don't think it's going to be one that hangs down very far. Recessed is certainly an option. The crown on the cabinets themselves will be changed. Not the crown in the room. We are raising the cabinets so a bulk head would look weird (I think). Our entire first floor is wood so we have no real transition to speak of. We agree that there is too much "wood" so that's why we are painting cabinets, desk and island...to break that up some.

Dentist said:
randall146 said:
This.

I'm not Otis....not paying close to $20K for this.....much less $30K

Exciting project!

Perhaps "pendant" light isn't correct. There will be some sort of light fixture coming from the ceiling. I don't think it's going to be one that hangs down very far. Recessed is certainly an option. The crown on the cabinets themselves will be changed. Not the crown in the room. We are raising the cabinets so a bulk head would look weird (I think). Our entire first floor is wood so we have no real transition to speak of. We agree that there is too much "wood" so that's why we are painting cabinets, desk and island...to break that up some.
:thumbup:

I missed that you were painting the cabinets- that will transform the kitchen dramatically... in a positive way.

Do you have the light picked out? If so, can you link it here?

Dentist said:
randall146 said:
This.

I'm not Otis....not paying close to $20K for this.....much less $30K
awesome.

when you have a kitchen as seemingly well layed out as this one, no need to move stuff around and spend the big money with new roughs and new cabinets (which look like they're in good shape). this seems like a great reno approach you've layed out. :thumbup:

Exciting project!

I missed that you were painting the cabinets- that will transform the kitchen dramatically... in a positive way.

No...don't have one picked out. Don't even know where to start honestly. We have a breakfast area (not pictured) but it's where i took most of the pictures from. It has a 1990s light hanging there. We'll replace it as well and get something that goes with it to put above the sink.

Exciting project!

No...don't have one picked out. Don't even know where to start honestly. We have a breakfast area (not pictured) but it's where i took most of the pictures from. It has a 1990s light hanging there. We'll replace it as well and get something that goes with it to put above the sink.
cool- I'll reemphasize not to hang something in front of the over-sink window. surface mounted would be your cheapest route if you can match the breakfast area light (which would be fine as a pendant... even though somebody in the office just voiced the opinion that pendants over islands and/or breakfast tables are "dated"... I'm not really of that opinion). are the rest of the lights in the kitchen recessed?

Exciting project!

cool- I'll reemphasize not to hang something in front of the over-sink window. surface mounted would be your cheapest route if you can match the breakfast area light (which would be fine as a pendant... even though somebody in the office just voiced the opinion that pendants over islands and/or breakfast tables are "dated"... I'm not really of that opinion). are the rest of the lights in the kitchen recessed?
Yeah...everything else is recessed. I wouldn't consider what we have in the breakfast area a "pendant". It's more "chandelier". I don't think recessed light would work there.

Might have missed it, but what's the reason for raising the cabinets two inches?
Well, code is 18 inches, but even before knowing that, they were way too close to the countertop. I moved one last night and believe it or not, it makes a world of difference.

Exciting project!

Yeah...everything else is recessed. I wouldn't consider what we have in the breakfast area a "pendant". It's more "chandelier". I don't think recessed light would work there.
fo sho. recessed above the table isn't so great... pendant (chandelier... something that hangs) or even a nice surface moutned light is much better.

how high were your cabinets above the counter prior to this?

Exciting project!

fo sho. recessed above the table isn't so great... pendant (chandelier... something that hangs) or even a nice surface moutned light is much better.

how high were your cabinets above the counter prior to this?
About 15 inches. I'm 6 foot 4 and when working at the counter top I couldn't see the wall. It felt really claustrophobic.

Looks like a great space to work with. Do you use the desk area for anything else except collecting stuff? We had a similar desk area and modified it into a wine bar area - raised the desk to counter level, installed a undercounter/built-in wine cooler and changed the upper cabinet for barware/wine rack. I noticed you had the wine rack in another picture. Not that you are looking for someplace to throw some more money at.

Looks like a great space to work with. Do you use the desk area for anything else except collecting stuff? We had a similar desk area and modified it into a wine bar area - raised the desk to counter level, installed a undercounter/built-in wine cooler and changed the upper cabinet for barware/wine rack. I noticed you had the wine rack in another picture. Not that you are looking for someplace to throw some more money at.
My wife uses it some as her desk since I won't let her in the office. I work from home and that's my space :D But generally speaking, it's a collection place. In our living room we have a wet bar or else what you described is exactly what I'd do.

My wife uses it some as her desk since I won't let her in the office. I work from home and that's my space :D But generally speaking, it's a collection place. In our living room we have a wet bar or else what you described is exactly what I'd do.
Cool. Meant to add: we replaced our old GE electric cook-top on the island (had a downdraft vent built into it) with an induction cooktop (didn't have a gas line). Loved the induction...but we also went with the down draft vent that you could raise/lower that was right at the back of the cooktop. Not perfect, but it worked very well and is better than a huge vent coming down from the ceiling over the island.

Progress

On it's face, it doesn't look like much but yesterday I got the rest of the cabinets moved up, the bridge removed, the old appliances removed, the old crown molding on the cabinets removed, trash compactor removed, the cabinet above the fridge removed and the old wall oven cabinet removed. Today/tonight I plan on building the new cabinet for the oven, the waste cabinet and the unit to go over the fridge. Not sure if they'll get installed today or not. We'll see.

Found something interesting in the electrical though. Apparently my 220 cooktop and double ovens were all on one circuit. I really didn't expect to see that. I believe that's something that will cause the initial plan I had made with the electrician to change. Seems like I'll need another new circuit.

Progress

On it's face, it doesn't look like much but yesterday I got the rest of the cabinets moved up, the bridge removed, the old appliances removed, the old crown molding on the cabinets removed, trash compactor removed, the cabinet above the fridge removed and the old wall oven cabinet removed. Today/tonight I plan on building the new cabinet for the oven, the waste cabinet and the unit to go over the fridge. Not sure if they'll get installed today or not. We'll see.

Found something interesting in the electrical though. Apparently my 220 cooktop and double ovens were all on one circuit. I really didn't expect to see that. I believe that's something that will cause the initial plan I had made with the electrician to change. Seems like I'll need another new circuit.
looking good.

yeah- a little surprised the appliance weren't on dedicated circuits.

so what's your approach going to be with painting the cabinets? do they have a finish on the wood currently?

Progress

looking good.

so what's your approach going to be with painting the cabinets? do they have a finish on the wood currently?
My approach is to hire it out :D That and the electrical are the things I'm not doing. Right now they have that honey oak stain that was so popular back in the 90s and a couple coats of poly. They'll be sanded down, primered a couple times, painted a couple coats and poly'd a couple coats. Wife is still undecided if she wants to glaze or not.

Progress

looking good.

My approach is to hire it out :D That and the electrical are the things I'm not doing. Right now they have that honey oak stain that was so popular back in the 90s and a couple coats of poly. They'll be sanded down, primered a couple times, painted a couple coats and poly'd a couple coats. Wife is still undecided if she wants to glaze or not.
*phew*

I thought you'd be going all FFA on those and do them yourself... which would be a disaster unless you have the tools and experience doing finish work. VERY smart choice. :thumbup:

I know my limits. I don't have the patience to do the painting and my grandfather was an electrician. I know enough about electrical to kill myself so I just stay away. Haven't done much woodworking lately so I'll probably be a little rusty, but it should be fun to get back in the shop.

Well....last night was a late night. Definitely rusty on the cabinet building, but I got it done. Cabinets are built and I plan on installing them tonight. Yesterday the gas line was run for the new cooktop. That was about the only tangible step forward. Today electrician is here to run two new circuits for my cooktop and warming drawer and relocate a couple switches. He'll also run wire to the new light above the sink and the under cabinet outlets/lights.

Also found out yesterday that my molding for around the cabinets is on backorder, so it'll be the end of next week until I get my hands on it. A successful report tomorrow would include installed cabinets and completed electrical.

I think youll like the gas range much more than the electric. my kitchen is setup similar to yours and my only problem is there isn't enough lighting towards the end of my island. its all recessed lighting so I may get an electrician to come out and add a couple more. one thing ive been considering is over the range getting a hanging pot rack. have you considered adding a radio/intercom system

I think youll like the gas range much more than the electric. my kitchen is setup similar to yours and my only problem is there isn't enough lighting towards the end of my island. its all recessed lighting so I may get an electrician to come out and add a couple more. one thing ive been considering is over the range getting a hanging pot rack. have you considered adding a radio/intercom system
We had gas in our last house. It's a night and day difference. We have two recessed lights above our island, though they aren't centered for some reason :wall: We get plenty of artificial light in there. Seeing isn't a problem. Never considered an intercom.

Users who are viewing this thread