What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boyhood - the film that took 12 years to make (1 Viewer)

jdoggydogg

Footballguy
Boyhood trailer

An unprecedented effort that took 12 years to film. Looks amazing.

Directed by Richard Linklater (Me and Orson Welles, School of Rock, Before Sunrise, Dazed and Confused)

Love some of the comments:

Tracy Vanity 2 weeks ago (edited)
What's "groundbreaking" about white privilege? Oh because it took a long time to film this movie and we just don't have enough films with all white casts. What would be groundbreaking would be to finally see people of color having our stories told without stereotyping and racism receiving accolades.
This is just terrible. Films with all-black casts are profitable these days, so interjecting race into this new movie that happens to have white people seems arbitrary and dull.

Saw this last weekend when it came out. Excellent movie. Really well done and a charming story. Highly recommend it once it gets a wider release.

I would love to see this, but haven't seen where it might be around here soon.

We talked about this some in the on-line rentals/netflix but if you haven't seem the 7Up Documentary Series watch it you think you would like this movie.

It tracks the lives of socially diverse kids in the UK every 7 years starting in 1964. All the way to 56 so far ...

We talked about this some in the on-line rentals/netflix but if you haven't seem the 7Up Documentary Series watch it you think you would like this movie.

It tracks the lives of socially diverse kids in the UK every 7 years starting in 1964. All the way to 56 so far ...
Thanks!... I'm looking forward to checking out this series as well.

Pretty big risk that you don't wind up with the next Hayden Christensen.
I know he takes some flak, but he was perfectly fine in Life as a House. Lucas has 0 talent for directing actors. Portman is a very good actress and she was horrible in Star Wars too.

Thanks!... I'm looking forward to checking out this series as well.
The 7 Up series is brilliant.

The only negative thing I have to say about the 7Up series is that they aired on TV and affected the peoples' lives. It's not very feasible from a financial point of view, but I'd rather have them record them as kids and not air it for at least 20 years.

Love some of the comments:

Tracy Vanity 2 weeks ago (edited)

What's "groundbreaking" about white privilege? Oh because it took a long time to film this movie and we just don't have enough films with all white casts. What would be groundbreaking would be to finally see people of color having our stories told without stereotyping and racism receiving accolades.

Edgar Sanchez 1 month ago

Hold on so did they just spy on this kid for 12 years? Because I feel like he would act differently if he knew people were watching him.
Strange comment about "white privilege" considering the family is lower-middle class at best. Nothing about the movie was particular to white people.

Ok, overall a good movie but there was some pretty bad acting by the minor characters. The strength of the movie was telling a story over 12 years and I really liked that aspect.

Terrific concept but super boring and super long. And it never developed the heart that it thinks it has.

I don't get the hype?

What people should know is that there is not much plot. The family dynamic seems to be the driving plot. Linklater wanted to depict normal things that happen in the life of a young male. Linklater would film every 6 months or so. Linklater would talk with the boy and find out what he's been up to. He would then take something that happened to him, and make that into a storyline in the movie. I think there is a small attempt to tie everything together so that it ends appropriately, but it's mostly several small frames during boyhood.

What people should know is that there is not much plot. The family dynamic seems to be the driving plot. Linklater wanted to depict normal things that happen in the life of a young male. Linklater would film every 6 months or so. Linklater would talk with the boy and find out what he's been up to. He would then take something that happened to him, and make that into a storyline in the movie. I think there is a small attempt to tie everything together so that it ends appropriately, but it's mostly several small frames during boyhood.
He had the plot in mind as well as the ending from the start. He talked with the boy to try and figure out what part of the story was appropriate to film at that time. For example, he knew there would be a camping scene with the dad, but he didn't know when until talking with the boy and realizing that that particular year's shoot was the time for it. Quite brilliant.

Also Patricia Arquettes torpedo #### were glorious in the beginning of the movie.

Premise of this movie is pretty remarkable. Love Linklater for his creativity even when I don't care for his movies.

Look forward to watching when I can get in the right mood and want to see at a place that serves drinks - best addition to movie going experience since color IMO.

Watched it last night and thought it was brilliant...
The filming over 12 years thing was cool, and maybe even brilliant but setting that aside what else was great about the movie? It was astoundingly boring.
Myself, I enjoyed how he used music and other media to communicate how much time had really passed and at the same time looking at my own life to see what I was doing at that same time. not every movie needs explosions or plot twists every half hour to have an impact or say what it wants to say.

The filming over 12 years thing was cool, and maybe even brilliant but setting that aside what else was great about the movie?It was astoundingly boring.
Myself, I enjoyed how he used music and other media to communicate how much time had really passed and at the same time looking at my own life to see what I was doing at that same time. not every movie needs explosions or plot twists every half hour to have an impact or say what it wants to say.
I agree but it should be about something other than taking 12 years to film.

The filming over 12 years thing was cool, and maybe even brilliant but setting that aside what else was great about the movie?

It was astoundingly boring.
He didn't try to do too much with it. It was everyday life from the kid's perspective as well as the Mom's. Not sensationalized. Mom trying to get through life, kid coming of age going through pretty much every single life event through each stage. It was very real - including Patricia Arquette coming unglued when the kid went to college thinking about her own mortality and "is this all their is?"

one of the worst movies i've ever watched, just really bad.

Lasted a little over an hour before giving up. How this won Awards is beyond me, when we look back in 10 years it will be laughable this film was highly regarded.

The filming over 12 years thing was cool, and maybe even brilliant but setting that aside what else was great about the movie? It was astoundingly boring.
Yea nobody said any of that.

A movie does need to have a plot or something to keep people engaged. Not just, wow look at him, he's older. I could look through Facebook to see that.

Terrific concept but super boring and super long. And it never developed the heart that it thinks it has.

I don't get the hype?
I thought it was awful. The only reason I kept watching was because of the whole 12 year thing. Was so happy when it was finally over.

Hated that they made the deadbeat dad the most likable character in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread