What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another Topic to Start FFA Fights: Reclining Your Airline Seat (1 Viewer)

Should You Recline Your Airline Seat?

• Total voters

chet

Footballguy
This topic has the potential to elicit as much emotion as -5^2 or Don vs Dawn or correct driving techniques.

Here's a story about a gadget that can stop airline seats from reclining. A plane was recently diverted because of the argument it caused.

Where do you stand on reclining airline seats?

No. Leave your ####### seat where it is, or I will passive aggressively open and shut my drink tray multiple times on the flight.

Nothing makes me wish I was shorter than when on an airplane. The seating world is not kind to those over 6' tall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the throwing of water was a bit much.

I don't recline, but even if i tried to and someone had those contraptions, I would assume the seat just didn't do it. I assume the recliner got into it with the man, then got the flight attendant involved, and then threw the water. It seems like a lot of trouble for the additional one and a half degree recline.

Remember when folks were considerate and actually gave the person behind them a heads up that they were going to recline?

I don't either.

I don't really mind if people recline in front of me. I don't find that it impacts my leg room much if at all. I'm not short either.

Until the airlines do away with reclining seats, and/or the person behind me who doesn't want me to recline gets up and gets the person in front of me also not to recline... I'm reclining my seat.

eta: fwiw, I'm 6', and with seats the way they are now (unless I'm in extended legroom or not in coach), my knees are pretty much up against the seat in front of me before they've reclined. when they recline, my knees are a little more squashed than normal. makes it harder for me when travelling with my younger kid (3), who is constantly dropping stuff in front of her seat and needing me to get it for her. reclined seat makes that almost impossible- although it was almost impossible to begin with.

If you're so tall that you can't live with the person in front of you reclining, you need to sit at the bulkhead or deal with it. What a jackass.

I don't muscle my way to the front of the boarding line, fight over the armrest with the guy sitting next to me, hog the overhead bin, etc. But if you recline your seat, I will make a special point to knee your seat every few minutes for the remainder of the flight. That's really the only thing that other travelers do that seriously pisses me off.

Reclining doesn't impact the person behind you much unless they're huge.

If it makes you feel better, sit in front of a kid and he can give you a kicking massage en route.

I didn't understand this debate the first time we did it. The seats recline. I don't personally recline my seat in most cases, but I can't expect someone else not to do it. That would be goofy.

It depends on how they sit. It sounds weird, but when I try to sleep on flights I can only do it by putting the tray table down and putting my head on it (I have to sort of twist my body a little to make this work). It's impossible if the person in front of me reclines.

They should set up planes like bunkbeds and just have everyone lie down. That would be way better. It seems like you could fit a bunch of people in that way too.

I don't muscle my way to the front of the boarding line, fight over the armrest with the guy sitting next to me, hog the overhead bin, etc. But if you recline your seat, I will make a special point to knee your seat every few minutes for the remainder of the flight. That's really the only thing that other travelers do that seriously pisses me off.
I really don't get this.

The seats are designed to recline. As far as I know, I never entered into some kind of social compact or signed off on a rule or law that says we aren't supposed to recline. Yes- it's inconvenient for the person in back of me, just as it's inconvenient for me when the person in front of me reclines. But not reclining can get uncomfortable as well- also inconvenient.

So- I'm all for a clear rule stating that every person in the world may not recline, or the airlines redesigning their seats so they dont'. Until that day, I'm reclining. Again- if you want to ask me AND the person in front of me to not recline... I'm game if they are. Otherwise again- I'm reclining... sorry.

I didn't understand this debate the first time we did it. The seats recline. I don't personally recline my seat in most cases, but I can't expect someone else not to do it. That would be goofy.
It's the fault of the airlines. Seats reclined back when there was room for them to recline. Now that they shortened the length between rows as much as possible, reclining is a space issue. They should get rid of reclining seats and offer neck pillows (at a substantial fee, of course).

It depends on how they sit. It sounds weird, but when I try to sleep on flights I can only do it by putting the tray table down and putting my head on it (I have to sort of twist my body a little to make this work). It's impossible if the person in front of me reclines.

They should set up planes like bunkbeds and just have everyone lie down. That would be way better. It seems like you could fit a bunch of people in that way too.
a model that adds a lot more room is having the middle seat face backwards

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/picture-radical-seating-concept-to-be-launched-at-aircraft-interiors-213199/

Some people are weird.
Agreed. I never even knew that some people considered it rude. The seats recline I think it is odd that anyone would expect the person in front of them to sit bolt upright for a 5-hour redeye

I really don't get this.

The seats are designed to recline. As far as I know, I never entered into some kind of social compact or signed off on a rule or law that says we aren't supposed to recline. Yes- it's inconvenient for the person in back of me, just as it's inconvenient for me when the person in front of me reclines. But not reclining can get uncomfortable as well- also inconvenient.

So- I'm all for a clear rule stating that every person in the world may not recline, or the airlines redesigning their seats so they dont'. Until that day, I'm reclining. Again- if you want to ask me AND the person in front of me to not recline... I'm game if they are. Otherwise again- I'm reclining... sorry.
Typical New Yorker. Take every advantage given. #### everyone else.

I try to avoid reclining, depends on the length of the flight.

On flights less than 2 hours or any domestic flight where I'm wide awake and active I don't recline.

If I'm super tired I recline halfway.

If I'm in coach on an international flight, sorry, I'm reclining all the way.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/picture-radical-seating-concept-to-be-launched-at-aircraft-interiors-213199/
Whoa. Reminds me of this.

I just did some googling and found this, which is pretty much exactly the idea I had in mind--

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-473568/Welcome-sardine-air-Airline-introduces-triple-bunk-beds-economy.html

Make this happen someone.

It's the fault of the airlines. Seats reclined back when there was room for them to recline. Now that they shortened the length between rows as much as possible, reclining is a space issue. They should get rid of reclining seats and offer neck pillows (at a substantial fee, of course).
Not sure what you mean. Seats have slightly more space than they used to 10-20+ years ago. Nearly every airline has an extra space coach section and regular coach isn't as bad as it used to be either. It used to be horrible unless you were in an exit row.

I don't really mind if people recline in front of me. I don't find that it impacts my leg room much if at all. I'm not short either.
Height pls.
6 ft 2 in
6-1 and it impacts mine. What airline? I'm mostly southwest due to bwi being a big hub for them.
It depends on how you sit. I am 6-2 as well and my knees will hit the seat infornt if I try to sit with my legs straight, it wont matter if the seat is reclined or not. I need to sit with my knees wide and I try to make sure to get an aisle seat so that my outside leg can stretch along the aisle.

From a different article, yep, people act like ####heads.

The $22 device locks onto the tray table on the back of the seat, making it impossible for the person in front to recline during the flight. United Airlines and other U.S. carriers have banned the device. The Federal Aviation Administration says it can’t be used during taxi, takeoff and landings, when tray tables and reclined seats aren’t supposed to be in use anyway.

United flight attendants asked the man to remove the device on the Sunday flight, but he refused.

Not sure what you mean. Seats have slightly more space than they used to 10-20+ years ago. Nearly every airline has an extra space coach section and regular coach isn't as bad as it used to be either. It used to be horrible unless you were in an exit row.
Then I must be dating myself. Why has shrinking legroom been implemented so much in recent years when they're actually the same (if not bigger 10-20 years ago). I can easily link to dozens of news articles talking about airlines shrinking their legroom.

Height pls.
6 ft 2 in
6-1 and it impacts mine. What airline? I'm mostly southwest due to bwi being a big hub for them.
It depends on how you sit. I am 6-2 as well and my knees will hit the seat infornt if I try to sit with my legs straight, it wont matter if the seat is reclined or not. I need to sit with my knees wide and I try to make sure to get an aisle seat so that my outside leg can stretch along the aisle.
Oh, I see. I need the seatbelt extender too so that makes sense. My legs don't fit forward or horizontal.

Whoa. Reminds me of this.
That's awesome. I love that entire scene.

I really don't get this.

don't get me started on umbrellas.

I do think I'm the typical NYer... in that I do my damnedest to be aware of people around me- becvause I'm surrounded by them 24/7.

you could look at it from the flip-side- that asking me not to use my seat the way it was designed is being rude to me so that you're not inconvienced.

If it makes you feel better, I always look behind me to make sure I'm not about to hit somebody. But if they're sitting? I'm reclining, and I don't need to get permission.

Again- if you want me to not recline... go tell the person in front of me to not recline and I won't either (even though I'm the one being disadvantaged by not doing something that is part of the design and within the rules of the airplane)

I just did some googling and found this, which is pretty much exactly the idea I had in mind--

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-473568/Welcome-sardine-air-Airline-introduces-triple-bunk-beds-economy.html

fifth element

I really don't get this.

don't get me started on umbrellas.

I do think I'm the typical NYer... in that I do my damnedest to be aware of people around me- becvause I'm surrounded by them 24/7.

you could look at it from the flip-side- that asking me not to use my seat the way it was designed is being rude to me so that you're not inconvienced.

If it makes you feel better, I always look behind me to make sure I'm not about to hit somebody. But if they're sitting? I'm reclining, and I don't need to get permission.

Again- if you want me to not recline... go tell the person in front of me to not recline and I won't either (even though I'm the one being disadvantaged by not doing something that is part of the design and within the rules of the airplane)

I just did some googling and found this, which is pretty much exactly the idea I had in mind--http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-473568/Welcome-sardine-air-Airline-introduces-triple-bunk-beds-economy.html

fifth element
Was thinking this: http://blog.toiletpaperworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/2-seater-toilet-300x300.jpg

I don't like it when people recline but I don't terribly mind when they do as long as the recline slowly so they don't slam into my knees.

I just did some googling and found this, which is pretty much exactly the idea I had in mind--http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-473568/Welcome-sardine-air-Airline-introduces-triple-bunk-beds-economy.html

fifth element
Was thinking this: http://blog.toiletpaperworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/2-seater-toilet-300x300.jpg
great for making out while you ####.

They need to design the seats to recline where the seat base moves forward to create the recline. This way the back stays in place and the person wishing to recline sacrifices their leg space to move the base forward.

until they stop making seats that recline, people can do what they want with the seat that they paid for. anybody who uses that device to prevent someone from reclining on a seat that they paid for is a huge tool.

I usually respect the passenger behind me and won't recline unless the person in front of me does. Then all bets are off.

I usually respect the passenger behind me and won't recline unless the person in front of me does. Then all bets are off.
I usually respect the passenger behind me and won't recline unless the person behind me does. Then all bets are off.

I don't even find reclining comfortable. I either need to be totally flat laying down or sitting upright.

If the person in front of me chooses to recline that's fine, but it's going to be more likely that my knees end up bothering him or my use of the tray table ends up bothering him more. If it's ok for him to make himself comfortable so can I.

Users who are viewing this thread