What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans offseason 2015 (1 Viewer)

I'm frustrated. This team has no spark and terrible players. Spent two years building an offensive line and the line sucks.

Gotta give Whiz more time but the worst part of today was the injury to Mett. Now they almost have to pick a qb early.

I like Horton and give him huge kudos for changing the D six different ways during a game to try and try to overcome. He is extremely creative.

I can't tell if Michael is Whisenhunt's pawn. I often get infuriated that they can move the ball the length of the field effortlessly for two series and then they switch to some slow it down offense and stink.

I'm afraid of losing Casey and Morgan who are two quality players playing out of position.

Roos was excellent and whisenhunt said how he was well beyond his expectations. If he can recover, re-sign him. Oher stinks.

I think Mett showed plenty and am totally fine with him as the qb next year.

Hunter and battle do not seem to be whisenhunt guys

I like Horton and give him huge kudos for changing the D six different ways during a game to try and try to overcome. He is extremely creative.

I can't tell if Michael is Whisenhunt's pawn. I often get infuriated that they can move the ball the length of the field effortlessly for two series and then they switch to some slow it down offense and stink.

I'm afraid of losing Casey and Morgan who are two quality players playing out of position.

Roos was excellent and whisenhunt said how he was well beyond his expectations. If he can recover, re-sign him. Oher stinks.

I think Mett showed plenty and am totally fine with him as the qb next year.

Hunter and battle do not seem to be whisenhunt guys
in the light that they're very good players, agreed. But like you wrote, they're out of position and not able to maximize their potential. they should be gone.

I'm coming around on Mett but if the Titans have the chance, I think I'd take Marriota still. But it's no longer the must-make-move I thought it was.

Would love to see them trade Hunter.

I agree that I'd like to see Mariota, but the problem I have is that I'm not sure that Whiz is a "mobile QB" type of guy.

There are just so many holes on this team I don't know where to start.

My plan for Tennessee would be this:

1. Bring Roos back, put him at LT, and slide Lewan out to RT. Lewan looks good and that gives us bookends for at least 1-2 years. draft a Tackle in rounds 3 or 4.

2. Sign Mark Ingram to fix the running game. Running back is the easiest position to find in free agency. Fill the hole.

3. Draft a pass rusher at the top of round 1. This team needs a spark on defense.

4. Draft a WR at the beginning of round 2. Kendall Wright is a very good WR. Hunter is a project, but you can't give up on him quite yet. He needs one more year as he's just very raw.

5. Aside from the one WR and the one tackle, go all defense all the time in the draft.

6. Free agency should be devoted to filling holes with players that fit the 3-4 defense that Horton likes to run.

7. Gamble on Mettenberger as the QB of the future. It's all a gamble, and I think if Mett pans out, then the Titans have the luxury of getting a stud defensive player this year at the top of the draft. Build an offense around Mett and let him grow. If he fails, than at least we have a stud defender and can draft another QB in 2016.

8. The one exception to the plan is if a QB exists that we think is a sure-fire franchise QB. If that guy is around, you have to draft him. I personally wouldn't bank the future on MM, who seems like the quintessential college QB, or Winston, who i wouldn't want to have the keys to my franchise.

I agree that I'd like to see Mariota, but the problem I have is that I'm not sure that Whiz is a "mobile QB" type of guy.

There are just so many holes on this team I don't know where to start.

My plan for Tennessee would be this:

1. Bring Roos back, put him at LT, and slide Lewan out to RT. Lewan looks good and that gives us bookends for at least 1-2 years. draft a Tackle in rounds 3 or 4.

2. Sign Mark Ingram to fix the running game. Running back is the easiest position to find in free agency. Fill the hole.

3. Draft a pass rusher at the top of round 1. This team needs a spark on defense.

4. Draft a WR at the beginning of round 2. Kendall Wright is a very good WR. Hunter is a project, but you can't give up on him quite yet. He needs one more year as he's just very raw.

5. Aside from the one WR and the one tackle, go all defense all the time in the draft.

6. Free agency should be devoted to filling holes with players that fit the 3-4 defense that Horton likes to run.

7. Gamble on Mettenberger as the QB of the future. It's all a gamble, and I think if Mett pans out, then the Titans have the luxury of getting a stud defensive player this year at the top of the draft. Build an offense around Mett and let him grow. If he fails, than at least we have a stud defender and can draft another QB in 2016.

8. The one exception to the plan is if a QB exists that we think is a sure-fire franchise QB. If that guy is around, you have to draft him. I personally wouldn't bank the future on MM, who seems like the quintessential college QB, or Winston, who i wouldn't want to have the keys to my franchise.
Don't think there is a sure-fire franchise QB in the draft if you're not sold on MM.

How much would Ingram cost? Is he worth that much more than Sankey?

Otherwise, I like your plan.

Michael griffin makes a lot of money and is old. He's been fabulous, but in rebuild mode I think he might be cut. If that happens, I want some assurance(as if) that every penny will go toward DB replacements.

Also, verner is only good on tampa. I wonder if he couldn't be brought back. I know sounds weird and never happens, but he is not as advertised and titans could sorely use him

Not sure if this is accurate, but below is based on the NFL's rotating schedule system...from here:

2015 Tennessee Titans Opponents

Home: Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Miami, Atlanta, Carolina, AFC West*

Away: Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, New England, NY Jets, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, AFC North*

* Team from that division that finishes in the same spot in the 2014 standings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allow me to add another recommendation:

1. Fire the GM

2. Fire the Head Coach

This team is clueless, this organization is clueless. It's time to start over. I don't think Whiz is the answer. He seems unbelievably stubborn. It's hard to imagine him turning it around.

Titans will get the first overall pick because there isn't a chance this team is going to win again, and I think the Bucs are playing decent and will pull one out.

Perfect time to start over.

Who are their good players?
Walker, Wright, Roos, Lewan, Casey, WIlliamson, and Griffin. If 4-3 then Derrick Morgan. "What in Sam Hill" too.

Battle on the cusp as FB.

Could be-Mett, Warmack

Potential never realized, not yet realized- Hunter, Sankey, McCluster

MAYBE something just found-Brandon Harris was their 8th DB despite poor play by almost everyone. He came in last week and covered well and broke up some passes. He was a 2nd round pick not too long ago by the Texans and maybe the light went on. Huge Terren Jones could play well and send Oher packing.

I've been waiting to see him and Kris Durham didn't look like a WR in the few plays last week. I went digging and he was Georgia defensive player of the year in high school. Umm why haven't the Titans tried him as a 6 foot 6 inch cornerback?

I've been waiting to see him and Kris Durham didn't look like a WR in the few plays last week. I went digging and he was Georgia defensive player of the year in high school. Umm why haven't the Titans tried him as a 6 foot 6 inch cornerback?
Guys that tall don't have the hip flexibility to play CB. There's a reason even Brown at 6'4" plays physical at the line but gets burnt often if he doesn't get his hands on the WR and mess up the release. He can't flip his hips and stick to guys downfield easily.

Guys that tall don't have the hip flexibility to play CB. There's a reason even Brown at 6'4" plays physical at the line but gets burnt often if he doesn't get his hands on the WR and mess up the release. He can't flip his hips and stick to guys downfield easily.
That's some good points.

I didn't like him on Detroit and he just looks out of place. Their CBs stink though so I figured eh why not try when they're down 30 points.

Did they cut Damian for him?

I miss Munchak.

There's something to be said for the very obvious rewarding of hard-working types.

Antonio Andrews has not been given the chance Whisenhunt said he would and the guy spent so long on PS and ran back returns just how Whisenhunt claims to like showing toughness and all and....totally did him wrong playing the old guys in these games.

Terren was inactive to start Meredith because he has NFL experience...umm he stunk, that's his experience! Start the giant beast of a man that actually moves his feet. There might be a future for him.

Hagan has been fine, if not good. I actually hope he stays as depth.

Bleeding....I tell ya, the secondary totally looked better without him

Fitting end to Jags game to have Sen'Derrick Marks sack whitehurst. Good job handling that guy. That days after Mariani gets a nice glowing article in Chicago Sports magazine about how much the team loves him and his attitude(as Munchak n Fish did) is somewhat brutal. If Whisenhunt cut so much of their depth to "create" his guys with young talent, grrrr fine, but he's not playing the young talent as much as he could/should so it feels like he just did it for his ego

I wasn't impressed with Bortles, again. I don't see the need for Mariotta. I totally prefer Cooper if we go offense. Mett looks much better than Bortles to me.

I'd really like a stud defensive player most of all. It''d be nice if they had a blanketing CB or stud LB but if they go D it's probably a DL.

I wasn't impressed with Bortles, again. I don't see the need for Mariotta. I totally prefer Cooper if we go offense. Mett looks much better than Bortles to me.

I'd really like a stud defensive player most of all. It''d be nice if they had a blanketing CB or stud LB but if they go D it's probably a DL.
Randy Gregory or Leonard Williams should help.

Top pick: DL stud. If there isn't one try to trade down a bit with someone in love with Mariotta (Raiders?); if trade down; top DB

2nd Round: LB. DB?

3rd rnd: Bruising back, top of the third, should be talent left

4th and beyond: D all the way, maybe a back up OL somewhere

So you guys think Mett is the guy next year? I like his potential but can't really buy in the whole way.

Tenn is looking at a top 3 pick almost for certain now, I think. QB has to be an option for them, no?

If they're happy with Mett then I'd think they should explore trading down options. Someone is going to be willing to move up for a QB IMO. The drop from Winston/Mariota is steep.

So you guys think Mett is the guy next year? I like his potential but can't really buy in the whole way.

Tenn is looking at a top 3 pick almost for certain now, I think. QB has to be an option for them, no?

If they're happy with Mett then I'd think they should explore trading down options. Someone is going to be willing to move up for a QB IMO. The drop from Winston/Mariota is steep.
The time to trade is when someone has taken the first QB. So getting pick #2 might be a winner

Have to give Mett the shot...bring someone in to "compete".

I don't think he is great...but perhaps good enough and you compound the problem with this team if you again start over at QB and draft one in the first.

Not seeing much of a sure fire 3-4 OLB in this draft...if they can't move back...I think you have to take Cooper and have that legit stud WR.

Don't take an RB high...free agency is likely the way to go.

I don't think he is great...but perhaps good enough and you compound the problem with this team if you again start over at QB and draft one in the first.

Not seeing much of a sure fire 3-4 OLB in this draft...if they can't move back...I think you have to take Cooper and have that legit stud WR.

Gregory and Beasley would be awesome additions for Tenn. Both can play and transition into the 3-4 OLB system easily and both are top 5 talents IMO. I'd much rather have Gregory, though.

Top pick: DL stud. If there isn't one try to trade down a bit with someone in love with Mariotta (Raiders?); if trade down; top DB

2nd Round: LB. DB?

3rd rnd: Bruising back, top of the third, should be talent left

4th and beyond: D all the way, maybe a back up OL somewhere
if the Raiders trade up for MM, I'd hope Carr would be included. I'd injure myself rushing to the phone to accept that deal.

Drove by the stadium during the Jets game. Over half empty. Almost everyone has quit caring about this team. Least talented roster in the entire league.

sho nuff said:

Why? The Titans have stunk for years. Why do we HAVE to give a 6th round pick a shot? He had a shot, and didn't play all that well. Did he show flashes? Sure. But he's a 6th rounder.

The Titans need a QB, end of story.

Not good news if true for Titan fans.

http://national.suntimes.com/national-sports/7/72/353271/jay-cutler-tennessee-titans/

"Now, a prominent Chicago radio station host is saying the reason the Bears have benched Jay Cutler is because they have a deal lined up with the Tennessee Titans."
It's only bad news depending on the deal... If true.There is a possibility this is good news if the deal is right. Again, barring there is a deal at all.
yeah, if they throw in their first so you could draft another qb it'd be an ok deal

You could tell Mett wanted more some times and was doing what was asked. Both OC and HC have said good things about him at practice. Players have commented about him having a positive attitude. Whitehurst said he has "it" and is special.

He clearly has an arm capable of throwing wherever ya want.

Phil Simms loved his form last night when he spoke.

He did some dopey rookie things and got baited, but a rookie qb is usually pretty awful in the nfl...in this regard he was ok.

For the most part, he proved he doesn't hold it too long everytime like so many said. Whisenhunt supposedly worked with him on that.

What more do you want him to do as a rook?

He is not the reason they can't run. Many times, it annoyed me how they'd move the ball nicely then come back n run 3 plays n out.

Hunter has gone from ooh potential to an annoyance like I'm getting impatient watching his development.

Almost when he started, whis took away the fb from the offense. They had already lost two good TEs.

There's gotta be a point where you say the qb did enough and I think he did. They're not winning it all in 2015. They're not winning a single game if they can't run and need 40 year olds to tote the rock. They need some push from their Gs even with healthy Ts, they were bad. Schwenke is ok, but he'll do.

Even after the offense did well, it was 1,2,3 the other team scored. Whisenhunt put the few top talents in wrong positions and this sorely needs to be fixed. It can't be losing casey, sam hill, griffin, and morgan....it just can't.

Mett didn't win a game, I get that, but he did ok. There's a zillion positions that aren't ok and if they keep changing QBs then they become the cleveland browns always wasting a key pick on qb and wr.

First they need an honest gm in there and/or coach. If you can't see a gigantic drop in line play since munchak then you stink at evaluating talent and gotta go. It really shouldn't be possible to drop that much. They goofed.

I'm frustrated. This team has no spark and terrible players. Spent two years building an offensive line and the line sucks.

Gotta give Whiz more time but the worst part of today was the injury to Mett. Now they almost have to pick a qb early.
no, you FIRE Whiz before he gets off the field in week 17, one of the worst NFL coaches in recent memory, his SB appearance with Az be damned. he's easily the worst head coach in the NFL

I find it very hard to find anything positive whisenhunt has done.

I'd like a Trestman for Whisenhunt trade

I know the familiarity might make it sound unlikely but...would Fish trade a DL and ?? for their pick, to grab a QB?

He has so much depth on the DL. I'd prefer a known quantity versus a drafted rook DL.

sho nuff said:

Why? The Titans have stunk for years. Why do we HAVE to give a 6th round pick a shot? He had a shot, and didn't play all that well. Did he show flashes? Sure. But he's a 6th rounder.

The Titans need a QB, end of story.
Because of my next sentence. They need a lot of things besides just QB. Taking a QB early (1st round) IMO compounds their problems.

Im not saying he is Brady...or anything close to it...but 6th rounders can work out just fine in the right situation. (Flynn in GB as a 7th rounder beating out the 2nd round Brohm).

Titans need a QB, OL, WR, OLB....and on and on and on.

no, you FIRE Whiz before he gets off the field in week 17, one of the worst NFL coaches in recent memory, his SB appearance with Az be damned. he's easily the worst head coach in the NFL
Highly disagree he is the worst HC in the NFL.

Why would you trade crap for worse crap that has let a team completely implode despite some talent. That is a mess in Chicago far worse than in Nashville.

Why would you trade crap for worse crap that has let a team completely implode despite some talent. That is a mess in Chicago far worse than in Nashville.
because I have hated their offense for a few years now and am desperate

i think Titans will go QB if it makes sense in the spot they end up in. They need a face of the franchise and a reason for some hope. I don't they should reach but i don't think they should trade out either.

Yep. Titans fans need to face the fact that other than a handful of players, this team needs a complete overhaul. Wiz gets some blame but nowhere near what Trestman had screwed up. Give wiz another year, get him some players that fit his plan and show some leadership, then evaluate.

I'd actually prefer they trade scrap for cutler and address the D throughout the draft.

Just dreaming out loud here and it's highly unlikely but how would suh do in the 3-4?

Safety-Griffin and ...I don't think there's another NFL caliber starter. Wilson, Stafford, Huff could be depth

CB-I don't like any. Brandon Harris showed some fight one game and I was "where's this guy been all year?" He was a high pick recently of the Texans and rated pretty high, curious if he's decent and Whisenhunt just missed it or what?

They all run next to the WR and watch. It's beyond pathetic. McCourty has nice speed and feet and it's amazing he can keep up with some WRs stride for stride but geesh put your hand on the ball, bat it down, hit the WR when he is about to catch it, do something! That was my season watching-said it too many times. When teams ran wide, I don't recall any CB ever stopping a RB behind the LOS or for very short gain. I don't recall an announcer saying good tackle or none of that. I don't think there's anything here. I do wonder about McCourty with a better DB coach because he is right there. Bleeding infuriates me most Sundays.

LB- Williamson looks like and up N comer and I really like the guy. I think they have a bunch of average depth here and in a 3-4 the LBs are usually "names" everyone knows. They probably need a stud or two to make the 3-4 work. None of them have the cujones to run right at a RB and nail him at the LOS and most are easily blocked. I think there's quite a few NFL backups here. I barely saw Dontay Moch but did notice the speed. I don't know what a LB time normally is but I'd guess he's one of the faster ones in the NFL. Totally fine with him as a project and ST in the meantime.

LB/DL- Morgan has been excellent when they put him at the LOS in his stance. He looks like he thinks ooh I get to play my position again and is fired up. Wimbley did OK as a rusher at times too. He and Wimbley aren't sure of themselves so when a RB is near they don't dive like most backers, there's a couple steps then they finally try and tackle. Neither looks good in coverage and can't turn their hips at all. I'm afraid Morgan's recent success was to setup buyers that have a 4-3 D and want a DE.

DL-Casey is still a beast even if he looks out of place. Sam Hill makes a play each week. Pituatoa(sp?) seems like a 4-3 DT to me, not fast enough to play DE not the sacking type speed rush and...out of position. He does have some great push and legs when he bull rushes. He's made a few plays, but I think he's depth when they get a team. Aren't DaQuan Jones and Mike Martin recent draft picks? I haven't noticed them do anything noteworthy. Woods has played but haven't seen him hold is own well. 3-4 NT is a pretty tough spot. He seems easy to block like the announcers pointed out he was in and then there's a nice run by the opposing team. Klug is fun that he's useful and I love him as depth. This group is shameful. None have the high energy that so many have had for years and years. I'd rather a group of street fighters or fat sumo wrestlers.

OL- Roos-who knows if he's back. Lewan-love. Levitre, adios. Shwenke-meh probably staying might be ok. Spencer-bye bye, not veteran depth if you stink when you come in. Warmack-beast of a run blocker here n there, normally not that good a run blocker or pass blocker. It's like a few good plays keep him starting. I envision Munchak all over him at practice and making something of him-we don't have that so he probably needs to be depth. Oher is the worst. Merideth stinks. Svitek is old n slow and both JPP and Watt targeted him and got 2-3 sacks within minutes of making it a point to go at him. He's gotta go. Stingley has been with them a long while (or maybe it just seems it with so many new faces) and has been decent at times. He's very likely fine as continued depth. Terren was my lone bright spot as they got destroyed by opposing OLs and Whisenhunt benched him. He probably has the only pancake for the whole year. He got burned several times and might be too slow to play OT, but he has some serious meanness and push. Has any team ever put some work into this guy? He might be something. I'd like to read next spring/summer that some coach took him under their wing and they tried him at G and T. I also wouldn't be all that surprised if he's a good NT. Heck he plays OT more like Klug than an OT anyway. 6-7 340-350 and a brute, try him at NT. Whatever, I want him to stay and be coached up and see what happens. If Stevens returns a step slow, maybe Titans fans will finally get their wish and he'll be switched to T.

TE- Thompson is totally fine and useful as 3rd TE. Love Stevens and Walker. Coffman has done pretty decent and I wouldn't be surprised if he knocks Thompson off the roster next year. Most of the pickups I expect won't make it through camp next year but this is a position I'm totally OK with.

RB-Leon, ok fine old guy you've been useful. Sankey has no toughness. Andrews we know precious little of. Greene is probably a fine NFL backup but they totally lack a franchise RB and I would guess next year they slot Andrews and Sankey as the backups so he's gone.

FB-Battle. I thought this was the best a FB has played since Ahmard. I was upset they went to single back set and he barely played. Sometimes when their run game struggled or the RB failed to pickup the blitz, I wanted to see him be the single back. I really feel like he's gone and Whisenhunt showed he doesn't even really want a FB.

QB-Locker, adios. Whitehurst- he probably stays and is depth, can't shake the Whisenhunt love for him. Jordan Palmer is probably better than him but he won't be able to show it. I figure they have 3 and it'll be Mett, Whitehurst and player they add.

WR-Hunter is annoyingly stalled in his development. They needed someone now and he didn't do that. I'm not ready to give up. Maybe it was too much to ask, to be the go deep guy one year and suddenly the stud the next year. I'm not sure though because I was one of the ones that downright expected him to be good. Nate''s fine depth. Wright I adore. Hagan I've really liked lately. I expect they add a good WR who pushes Hunter to start and am not sure if Hagan can stay numbers wise. I'd be fine with him as an extra at 5th WR if they have the numbers to do it. Durham plays like he only knows a sideline route and they never throw it high to the 6-6 guy. He doesn't seem to have any speed and I'm starting to think oh that's why he was available.

I miss Mariani (and Damian) and love his attitude still. He's been doing well with the Bears recently and I can't help but wonder why Whisenhunt didn't love all the same qualities as Fish and Munchak did.He epitomizes what I think was a huge failure by Whisenhunt-he removed all the hustling good attitude depth for his ego and it was really naive. If Fisher, Munchak, Trestman and 3 ST coaches all adore the guy...cmon. Why can't you work with a high motor hustler with a great attitude? Much of the depth on the roster is guys cut from other teams that got another shot with the Titans. If Munchak did anything right, it was creating a hard working mindset in these players. Whisenhunt erased that for his ego. I think many of these (short) career backups from other teams are used to being backups and don't have that hunger to try and be a starter. Last summer, there were precious few articles of soandso pushing the starter for a chance to play and that's been the norm.

Kuharsky-

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Ray Horton considers an NFL season a pass-fail proposition.

Miss the playoffs and you fail.

The Titans were non-contenders very early in a dismal season. Horton recently stood in front of his defense and told players he was sorry for failing to lead them to the playoffs.

“For me, I would say it’s a failure and I’ve apologized to the defense because we didn’t get into the playoffs,” Horton said. “That’s all that matters.”

Distributing blame is big sport during and after a season like this one. Horton hasn't revolutionized the defense in his first season with the Titans, but he’s also had limits on what to work with and relied on a lot of guys who failed to be disciplined with gap fits and proved incapable of tacking reliably.

“He apologized and at the same time, we feel like we let him down, too,” safety Michael Griffin said. “At the end of the day we’re the defense; we’re the 11 guys that trot out there on the field. Nobody’s perfect and there is no best call for anything. It’s like playing a game of chess.

“We had opportunities to win games, to play better, to eliminate the big plays. Sometimes it wasn’t the best call, but at the end of the day, if all 11 of us work together, you’re able to work through a down.”

Said nose tackle Sammie Hill: “We’re sorry we didn’t do what we were supposed to. It goes hand in hand.”

A full year of experience in the system and an influx of new talent should help things be better in 2015, particularly if the Titans acquire the sort of edge pass-rusher who can influence things for the entire defense.

all but two opponents already known for next year=

2015 HOME OPPONENTS
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs OR Oakland Raiders *

2015 ROAD OPPONENTS
Houston Texans