What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking at getting a soundbar for our family room - Totally clueless (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Does anyone here have one of these? They look really cool, but I've never actually seen one work. I see that some come with a bass speaker, too. Do you need that? Realistically, I'm not looking for anything top of the line. More like middle of the road, or slightly less.

I just want something that sounds good for watching movies. Something that will give the surround sound effect, if possible, without having to have speakers everywhere. I see that Bose has something like that, but as I said, I don't want to spend a fortune on it.

Any insight on these would be appreciated.

There was just a great deal on the Vizio soundbars this past weekend.

This is the top selling model

Considering it's 5.1, has the subwoofer, and it's mostly wireless, tough to beat. And it was just $180, so might go on sale again in the next few weeks.

Are they fairly easy to setup? I remember back in the late 90's/early 2000's, I bought a home theater that was fairly nice. But it was a pain in the behind setting up. Everything needed special wiring, or wasn't compatible with my current equipment. Was a huge hassle. My hope with these things are that they pretty much are just "plug and play" in a sense. Am I wrong to assume that?

Are they fairly easy to setup? I remember back in the late 90's/early 2000's, I bought a home theater that was fairly nice. But it was a pain in the behind setting up. Everything needed special wiring, or wasn't compatible with my current equipment. Was a huge hassle. My hope with these things are that they pretty much are just "plug and play" in a sense. Am I wrong to assume that?
the Samsung I have was easy.. plug and play..

Pretty much plug n play. I just ran an optical digital cable to the soundbar and that was it. Also has front panel input for using to listen to Ipod/Android etc.....

Just bought this one and setup couldn't be easier

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-S3820W-C0-38-inch-Theater-Integrated/dp/B00DG6FOV0

One plug from TV to sound bar and then plug the power cord into outlet.

It also has bluetooth so you can play music from your phone etc.

The new Bose soundbar system is freaking great. But pricey. 599.99 (or you can get just the sound bar for 399.99 without the acoustimas module which is a great sub-woofer ) But trust me, The sound and the true space 7.1 technolgy is worth it.

You won't ever need to buy another one again. Simple one connection set up (optical digital audio connection).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1SSX6Q/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1KKMF17WETQ03T8JP47F&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop Just the sound bar.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1SSWXU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1EVTHQW2SWPK7ENG9YXD&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop The whole package with a great universal remote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do any of them have separate volume control for the center/dialogue channel?
The Bose has a remote to control the volume for the sound bar.

It is an awesome sound bar. Overpriced of course as all Bose products are...but super high quality and really great sound. It is a basic set-up and you don't have to worry about dialogue being to soft or loud. It is all automated with this system.

If you want customization this is the wrong system. This is for people who want to simply plug it in and done. It does have high end home theater quality like sound without all the wires, tuner and several speakers.

I got a refurbished Samsung 18 months ago from Tiger Direct and it looked brand new. Sounds great and it was 50% off retail. Easy to set up.

Do any of them have separate volume control for the center/dialogue channel?
The Bose has a remote to control the volume for the sound bar.

It is an awesome sound bar. Overpriced of course as all Bose products are...but super high quality and really great sound. It is a basic set-up and you don't have to worry about dialogue being to soft or loud. It is all automated with this system.

If you want customization this is the wrong system. This is for people who want to simply plug it in and done. It does have high end home theater quality like sound without all the wires, tuner and several speakers.
We have a home theater in the basement but occasionally watch movies upstairs on a 50". I find myself constantly playing with the volume, especially during action movies, because the music is cranking but after I lower it, the dialogue is too low. If we ever upgrade the TV, I'd like a little more volume control. I was hoping a sound bar could do it.

JaxBill said:
TheIronSheik said:

Well that is in interesting option... thanks for sharing

I just picked up an RCA soundbar at Walmart for $48. No sub. Just needed something a bit better than the flat panel speakers.

gianmarco said:

Considering it's 5.1, has the subwoofer, and it's mostly wireless, tough to beat. And it was just $180, so might go on sale again in the next few weeks.
I have this one and really like it. Bought one for my folks and they love it too.

I have this one and really like it. Bought one for my folks and they love it too.
Got the same one at Costco for I think around $200 last year around January. Sounds good. Not spectacular but good for movies and sports.

The soundbar sits in front of the tv and plugs into a wall outlet. The subwoofer is hidden behind a couch and plugs into a wall outlet. There is a wireless connection between the subwoofer and the soundbar. There are wired speakers that connect to the subwoofer. Wires are probably about 15'. Lots of accessories to connect the soundbar to the tv - pretty easy connection.

Worth the money. I'm sure the bose for 2.5x as much sounds better. We looked at a comparable priced Samsung at Costco but they were out of stock and my wife had to buy one that minute.

HIGHLY recommend getting a soundbar with a Bluetooth subwoofer, especially if you watch any music programs on tv. Total game changer even at low volumes. I recommended the $159 samsung one I bought to a few friends of mine and they all bought it and have rave reviews as well. Definitely go Bluetooth subwoofer and you can fine a solid samsung or similar at best buy for around $200.

Buy. It. Now.

Think it's this one:

http://www.ecrater.com/p/21266921/samsung-hw-fm45c-za-280-watt?gps=1&id=80959801219

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a cheap Panasonic from costco. Most tvs now have an audio out optical.

plug in optical cable

turn off tv speakers

plug in sound bar. Done

I got a cheap one only just to have something nicer than the tv. I have regular surround system on my tv down stairs so didn't need to get crazy

similar to my basic one. The Bluetooth is nice

I have a samsung without the sub. I like it, it has a remote to adjust by itself, but my one complaint is that I have to use that remote to adjust the volume of tv. Make sure that your tv can do adjustable audio out and control the soundbar that way. My samsung plasma and soundbar do not work together, unless I am doing something wrong.

I have a samsung without the sub. I like it, it has a remote to adjust by itself, but my one complaint is that I have to use that remote to adjust the volume of tv. Make sure that your tv can do adjustable audio out and control the soundbar that way. My samsung plasma and soundbar do not work together, unless I am doing something wrong.
You might have 2 outputs. One being a line level audio out, probably what you're using, that would require you to use a second remote. But there might also be a speaker level out that would be controlled by the TV remote.

You might have 2 outputs. One being a line level audio out, probably what you're using, that would require you to use a second remote. But there might also be a speaker level out that would be controlled by the TV remote.
Thanks. I will try to find the manual to see if that was an option. TV is wall mounted, so access is minimal at best. Only see one optical output on the back, so that if not encouraging start.

Got the same one at Costco for I think around $200 last year around January. Sounds good. Not spectacular but good for movies and sports.

The soundbar sits in front of the tv and plugs into a wall outlet. The subwoofer is hidden behind a couch and plugs into a wall outlet. There is a wireless connection between the subwoofer and the soundbar. There are wired speakers that connect to the subwoofer. Wires are probably about 15'. Lots of accessories to connect the soundbar to the tv - pretty easy connection.

Worth the money. I'm sure the bose for 2.5x as much sounds better]/b]. We looked at a comparable priced Samsung at Costco but they were out of stock and my wife had to buy one that minute.
No...no it doesn't. Bose is pure ####. I have a Vizio soundbar and it's fine, it's a step up from the crappy TV speakers but no where near my home theater. Spend the ~150 on the Vizio and you'll be happy.

No offense man but you wasted money there. Bose is the king of marketing and the king of #### sound. Period.
No offense taken. But I will disagree with you. It's cool to knock Bose. But the build great sounding, well made, good looking audio equipment. I have the Bose system listed above bought from Costco at a lower price. I have a Bose sound dock and Bose system in one of my cars. They all sound great. Yes they do a good job marketing. But so does Apple and I have almost all of their products as well.

No offense man but you wasted money there. Bose is the king of marketing and the king of #### sound. Period.
No offense taken. But I will disagree with you. It's cool to knock Bose. But the build great sounding, well made, good looking audio equipment. I have the Bose system listed above bought from Costco at a lower price. I have a Bose sound dock and Bose system in one of my cars. They all sound great. Yes they do a good job marketing. But so does Apple and I have almost all of their products as well.
Agree to disagree, glad you like your Bose but if you gave anything a listen other than Bose 10 to 1 Bose would lose out. They are never favorably reviewed since they alter the sound, have crappy components and are way overpriced. To each their own I guess.

Been pretty happy with my Yamaha YSP-2200. Prolly have a newer version, but have had no problems with it for a few years now and like the sound. Not a Bose fan primarily due to the lack of HDMI inputs.

Been pretty happy with my Yamaha YSP-2200. Prolly have a newer version, but have had no problems with it for a few years now and like the sound. Not a Bose fan primarily due to the lack of HDMI inputs.
Yamaha has an amazing DSP for soundbars, well worth the money if you really want an immersive sound.

Agree to disagree, glad you like your Bose but if you gave anything a listen other than Bose 10 to 1 Bose would lose out. They are never favorably reviewed since they alter the sound, have crappy components and are way overpriced. To each their own I guess.
Have had other systems. In fact right now I have a vizio and a samsung soundbar in other rooms.I would a agree they give me more bank for my buck. But if you can afford it and are not just worked about the best deal Bose is not a bad option.

:blackdot:

:whitecorner:

:whitestar:

In the market for a soundbar myself. Want Bluetooth built in. Have gone to Best Buy and Frys to try out several and one thing is clear: Without the wireless subwoofer, they don't sound too great. Unfortunately, I live on a top-floor apartment and don't want to disturb my neighbors below with a down-facing subwoofer. The best one I've tested for $500 or less is the JBL SB400, but the subwoofer is very powerful.

Any recommendations for a soundbar that really doesn't need a subwoofer?

Two soundbar questions for experienced users.

I'm going to have a HDTV with no cable box and the soundbar. I want to add a way to stream movies, so thinking of an Apple TV or Roku.

Question: I would need to plug the Apple TV into the HDTV with HDMI, then optical to the Soundbar, while the HDTV has a HDMI to the Soundbar. Correct? Does ARC change that?

Second question: Has anyone seen a way to add a second, single speaker to a soundbar? Not as part of a 5.1 setup or anything, just an outdoor speaker that can play what the soundbar is playing inside. Would a bluetooth speaker work for that, or is bluetooth mostly to come in from a phone or tablet?

TIA for all help.

I'm going to have a HDTV with no cable box and the soundbar. I want to add a way to stream movies, so thinking of an Apple TV or Roku.

Question: I would need to plug the Apple TV into the HDTV with HDMI, then optical to the Soundbar, while the HDTV has a HDMI to the Soundbar. Correct? Does ARC change that?

Second question: Has anyone seen a way to add a second, single speaker to a soundbar? Not as part of a 5.1 setup or anything, just an outdoor speaker that can play what the soundbar is playing inside. Would a bluetooth speaker work for that, or is bluetooth mostly to come in from a phone or tablet?

TIA for all help.
Not sure if this answers much but. Most tvs now have an audio out. So you could turn off your tv speakers and have the audion out from the tv go to the audio in to the sound bar. That way whatever source to your tv is being used you get the sound. So you only need 1 output to the sound bar.

So in your example - Apple TV to HDTV HDMI. TV OPTICAL OUT to Soundbar. This assume your TV has an audio out component. Check that first.

2) Do you have to have the sound synced?

TIA for all help.
1) What soundbar are you getting? There are some out there that will take HDMI in and then have an HDMI out video only.

2) I haven't seen a soundbar that can do what you're looking for.

TIA for all help.
Not sure if this answers much but. Most tvs now have an audio out. So you could turn off your tv speakers and have the audion out from the tv go to the audio in to the sound bar. That way whatever source to your tv is being used you get the sound. So you only need 1 output to the sound bar.

So in your example - Apple TV to HDTV HDMI. TV OPTICAL OUT to Soundbar. This assume your TV has an audio out component. Check that first.

2) Do you have to have the sound synced?
OK, thanks. For number 2, not really. The TV and soundbar are inside while the other speaker would be on the patio. Basically just to be able to listen to what's on when running out to check the grill or whatever.

TIA for all help.
1) What soundbar are you getting? There are some out there that will take HDMI in and then have an HDMI out video only.

Not sure. Looking at Sony, Vizio and Sharp/

OK, thanks. I haven't see it either, but belljr may be right that I can just do it from the TV itself.

TIA for all help.

OK, thanks. I haven't see it either, but belljr may be right that I can just do it from the TV itself.
What TV do you have? I'd be able to check if not wait till you get home but that's how mine is setup. So if we are playing wii, dvd player, tv - the tv just pumps out the sound from the incoming source.

proninja said:
I matched the brand of TV to soundbar (LG) and was pleased to find out that the volume control on the TV now controls my soundbar. One fewer remote for those of us who don't have a universal.
My Comcast remote I programmed the volume for sound bar.

TIA for all help.

What TV do you have? I'd be able to check if not wait till you get home but that's how mine is setup. So if we are playing wii, dvd player, tv - the tv just pumps out the sound from the incoming source.

proninja said:
I matched the brand of TV to soundbar (LG) and was pleased to find out that the volume control on the TV now controls my soundbar. One fewer remote for those of us who don't have a universal.
My Comcast remote I programmed the volume for sound bar.
Actually don't have the TV yet. Buying at and the soundbar instead of a 5.1 arrangement. Thanks for all the help.

Thanks for the advice! Just bought a lightly used Vizio 42" 2.1 off eBay for ~$142. Went back and forth considering the 5.1, but my living room setup isn't that conducive to placing rear speakers and I'm not 100% sure my TV will pass through 5.1 sound. This will be a huge improvement over using the TV speakers.

Thanks for the advice! Just bought a lightly used Vizio 42" 2.1 off eBay for ~$142. Went back and forth considering the 5.1, but my living room setup isn't that conducive to placing rear speakers and I'm not 100% sure my TV will pass through 5.1 sound. This will be a huge improvement over using the TV speakers.
I bought this just before Christmas. Replaced Panasonic 5.1 all in one surround sound system. The Vizio blows it away. Clear crisp sound and BIG bass. Very loud too. Vizio TV remote controls the sound bar too. Very happy with it.

I want a sound bar that I can plug into the tv and that's it. Ok if I have to plug in a power supply as well. I bought one with good reviews and it was too complicated. Any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread