What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McDonald's year over year sales were terrible. How would you fix (1 Viewer)

shader

Footballguy
It appears that McDonald's is having issues with sales. MCD is the kingpin of fastfood and always has been. I worked at Mcdonald's as a youngster, even dabbling in management as a kid. It was fun at the time, and I guess a piece of me always has a special place for MCD, even though I know without a doubt that the food generally sucks.

How would you fix McDonalds?

Me?

I think it's simple. McDonald's has tried too hard to sell the "healthy" side of their menu. From changing the fries from animal fat to whatever the crap it is now, to the nasty whole wheat buns they use on some sandwiches....

I'd take the Hardees/Carls Jr approach: Embrace the fact that you sell food that isn't good for you. Bring back the fries that everyone and their brother loved.

Bigger, better, fattier...that's how they should go.

If I was any of the big fast food chains, I'd do that. Cmon man, everyone knows fast food isn't good for you. At least try to make it as tasty as possible. If I want a salad, I'll go to some chick salad place.

When a Big Mac value meal cost $6.49 for a small and $7.99 for a large, something is wrong. At that price thereare better alternatives.

I don't think it's terribly difficult. One, accept there are loads more competitors than ever before.

Two, stop trying to be what you're not. They're cheap, fast, consistent, mediocre meals. Keep the prices low as possible and advertise, advertise, advertise. More product placement in children's shows, and tie ins with kid's products.

I don't think it's terribly difficult. One, accept there are loads more competitors than ever before.

Two, stop trying to be what you're not. They're cheap, fast, consistent, mediocre meals. Keep the prices low as possible and advertise, advertise, advertise. More product placement in children's shows, and tie ins with kid's products.
Yep.

As someone stated above a "meal" is now like 8 bucks. I can go just about anywhere and find a much better option for a couple bucks more. So instead, sell more item a la carte for cheap (i.e. expand the dollar menu and do 2 for 1 type stuff). Ditch the healthy angle. Play up the toys in kids meals again.

Cheap (it's really not that cheap), fast, consistent and mediocre isn't going to sustain a company this size anymore. That's what they are finding out. I'd also say that they aren't perceived as having mediocre food, they are perceived as having terrible food. They don't have a lot of fat to cut on prices either.I'm pretty sure McDonalds is aware of the competitive environment they are in. I'm not sure how recognizing that is going to help them.

make food that doesn't suck ###
There's room in the market for good food that is bad for you.

There's room in the market for bad food that is good for you.

There's no room in the market for bad food that's bad for you.

Cheap (it's really not that cheap), fast, consistent and mediocre isn't going to sustain a company this size anymore. That's what they are finding out. I'd also say that they aren't perceived as having mediocre food, they are perceived as having terrible food. They don't have a lot of fat to cut on prices either.I'm pretty sure McDonalds is aware of the competitive environment they are in. I'm not sure how recognizing that is going to help them.
Lower quality food, what have you. I refuse to believe costs/prices can't be lowered. Advertise, pretty up the packaging.

Maybe toy with the idea of running out a 'premium' line, either in store, or another store under another name. In that vein, also toy with the idea of turning some of these stores into a Starbucks type lounge for the food environment.

quick fix

25 piece nuggets for the price of 20

lets us get fatter while feeling we saved money

McDonalds is revolting the way they treat and process the animals they use to make their food. It's offensive to say this, and I apologize, but you have serious problems if you put the stuff McDonalds sells into your body. And God bless you if you feed it to your kids. It is convenient, but your priorities are out of order if saving time is your reason for eating there.

McDonalds is revolting the way they treat and process the animals they use to make their food. It's offensive to say this, and I apologize, but you have serious problems if you put the stuff McDonalds sells into your body. And God bless you if you feed it to your kids. It is convenient, but your priorities are out of order if saving time is your reason for eating there.
How is the way McD's treats and processes it's animals different from other mass producers?

It appears that McDonald's is having issues with sales. MCD is the kingpin of fastfood and always has been. I worked at Mcdonald's as a youngster, even dabbling in management as a kid. It was fun at the time, and I guess a piece of me always has a special place for MCD, even though I know without a doubt that the food generally sucks.

Me?

I think it's simple. McDonald's has tried too hard to sell the "healthy" side of their menu. From changing the fries from animal fat to whatever the crap it is now, to the nasty whole wheat buns they use on some sandwiches....

I'd take the Hardees/Carls Jr approach: Embrace the fact that you sell food that isn't good for you. Bring back the fries that everyone and their brother loved.

If I was any of the big fast food chains, I'd do that. Cmon man, everyone knows fast food isn't good for you. At least try to make it as tasty as possible. If I want a salad, I'll go to some chick salad place.
Agree totally. Don't be ashamed of what you are. If health nuts don't like it now, they never will. It's like non-alcoholic beer.

Make the food tasty and forget about the fat content or healthiness of it.

I eat there, but I also tan to lose weight. So it cancels each other out.

What's wrong with their chocolate chip cookies and/or iced coffee or an egg white delight?

Me?

Agree totally. Don't be ashamed of what you are. If health nuts don't like it now, they never will. It's like non-alcoholic beer.

I agree that they over-corrected in a response to that Supersize me movie and for whatever reason they are more criticized due to their size for pumping out unhealthy food than say Pizza Hut or Taco Bell who somehow escape the same criticism for the most part.

And their response was good for PR but bad for business.

I just think the name brand has diminished for a few reasons, the most obvious being that competition is fierce and the other is that the medical community has beaten into our heads that fast food and soda are BAD FOR US. You can try to sell salads or make your food items healthier, but it doesn't turn the tide of bias against the brand name. McDonalds is unhealthy and the audience is listening.

I have 3 kids. The first two are 12 and 10 and loved McDonald Happy Meals. At the time, their mom and I would occasionally treat them to a Happy Meal because it was fast, cheap and the boys would eat it. Good for them? No. But come on, we weren't feeding them kale shakes and Fiber All at home. Plus, some kids can be tough to feed and when you find something they will devour in the midst of a busy day/life/career, you get over the "BAD FOR YOU" message.

But my 2.5 year old daughter has never been to a McDonald's. Her mom prefers that she not eat McDonald's and chooses to feed our daughter healthier foods that she makes. Now, we'll go out to eat and she'll eat stuff off the kids menu that I'm sure isn't on top of the pyramid of healthy foods, but there's a stigma against McDonald's that my wife objects too, so that's out. I think the fact that my wife is 8 years younger than me and grew up in an era where the message of food health was quite clear and strong plays a part in this.

Blah blah blah....I think newer generations of parents care about what to feed their kids and some are opting to stay away from McDonalds. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

Wait.. you think they need to advertise more? If there is one thing I can't watch a show without seeing, it's a mcdonald's ad.. they have this covered.

The problem IMO, is families (we are a family of 5) can go to some place like Little Ceasars for $20 and get two pizzas and breadsticks. If/when we go to MCD, it costs me around $30. Neither are great options, but paying 50% more for MCD? GTFO

Find a really fat chick. Have her eat nothing but McDonald's for a few months until she's thin and hot. Whore her out to the public. Profit.

I think price is the problem. I can go get a fresh made whole sub from a supermarket for six dollars. I think this is why Subway is so popular even though it sucks. Hell I could go buy a steak and grill it in 10 minutes for the price of a "value" meal. A Big Mac fries and a coke should be 4.99. They are set up for volume and that is how they should sell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there is anything they can do in the US. People are eating healthier and despite menu changes, don't seem to be going to MCD for "healthy" food. And for those who do want a good burger there are better options out there. They messed up when they sold their stake in Chipolte.

Find a really fat chick. Have her eat nothing but McDonald's for a few months until she's thin and hot. Whore her out to the public. Profit.
This I can get behind.*

*Once she loses all weight, of course. Until then, I guess I'll just have to get.....sideways?

Toast buns again. Improve quality. For 8 bucks I can get a way better burger someplace else.

I knew they had a problem 3 years ago when my kids refused to eat there saying it's gross. True Story.

Yep.

As someone stated above a "meal" is now like 8 bucks. I can go just about anywhere and find a much better option for a couple bucks more. So instead, sell more item a la carte for cheap (i.e. expand the dollar menu and do 2 for 1 type stuff). Ditch the healthy angle. Play up the toys in kids meals again.
The items on the dollar menu are pretty much the suck. People come in thinking they can order something off the dollar menu, but then can't find a good choice there. End up paying $8 plus when they wanted to spend $4. It is a bait and switch tactic that has worn thin and people have caught on.

Wait.. you think they need to advertise more? If there is one thing I can't watch a show without seeing, it's a mcdonald's ad.. they have this covered.
And they are terrible. Possibly the dumbest commercials on TV. Time to hire a new advertising firm.

Not sure they're doing it right. TV is an increasingly dying medium (at least the commercial aspect). Lots of ads for the kid's shows, a few to placate the older crowd, but for the love of god find a way to tap into the young adult techie crowd. They've only recently really started trying to tap social media. That's inexcusably late for such a large company. They got fat and lazy assuming folks would continue to come there just because they've always come there.

Me?

I agree that they over-corrected in a response to that Supersize me movie and for whatever reason they are more criticized due to their size for pumping out unhealthy food than say Pizza Hut or Taco Bell who somehow escape the same criticism for the most part.

And their response was good for PR but bad for business.
If I were the CEO of McDonald's, i would have held one press conference after that movie.

"If you eat burgers and fries for every meal, you will get fat and your health will suffer. Duh. Listen, people. We are here for you when you want a great burger, tasty fries, and a huge chocolate shake loaded with calories. In fact, for the next year, say SUPERSIZE ME and we'll throw in a free apple pie!"

Wow it costs 8 bucks to get a lunch at McDonald's?

I figured it was 5 or less. That is probably their biggest issue. Who is paying that?

Yep.

The items on the dollar menu are pretty much the suck. People come in thinking they can order something off the dollar menu, but then can't find a good choice there. End up paying $8 plus when they wanted to spend $4. It is a bait and switch tactic that has worn thin and people have caught on.
My point is to actually make it better. Double cheeseburgers, 6 piece nuggets, large fry, etc.

Toast buns again. Improve quality. For 8 bucks I can get a way better burger someplace else.

I knew they had a problem 3 years ago when my kids refused to eat there saying it's gross. True Story.
Yeah, my kids least favorite restaurant is McDonald's. Kind of amazing the brand destruction that has happened in one generation. I loved McDonald's as a kid, but not sure why. I think their food has always been bad. I just think their was fewer fast food options back then. In addition to many more fast food options, the fast casual concept is where the growth is.

I think the "parents not taking their kids to McD's" angle is big. For whatever reason, when i take my kids to McDonald's, I feel like a failure as a father. Like if my friends see me doing it they'll think "man what a loser, takes his kids to Mcdonald's". It's all in the image, I know...but that's the image they have now. Crap food that is horrible for you.

Even though I'd argue it's ten times worse to take your family to Chili's/Friday's/Outback or any of the sitdown chain restaurants that are absolutely LOADED in calories.

Agreed with the two headed monster of price and brand perception.

Americans are finally starting to give a #### about what we eat... unfortunately some nutjobs are taking it too far with these gluten-free nonsense (for non celiacs) but in general folks are eating better. Parents are trying to avoid the blatant pitfalls on crap like taking their kid to mcdonalds 2-3x a week.

And the pricing... I don't eat at these places often.... but we hit one on a road trip a couple weeks ago. WTF is up with a "value" mean being $7-8?! :o Pretty much every casual restaurant has a solid $6-8 burger and fries these days that dwarfs MCD's offerings on both quality and size.

Yeah, my kids least favorite restaurant is McDonald's. Kind of amazing the brand destruction that has happened in one generation. I loved McDonald's as a kid, but not sure why. I think their food has always been bad. I just think their was fewer fast food options back then. In addition to many more fast food options, the fast casual concept is where the growth is.
I can remember going to one of the original McDonald's with the big golden arches arching the length of the store as a kid.. back when they used to put the number of burgers actually sold on the sign out front... and I can remember when that was a 7-digit number. :bag: i really don't think their basic burger has changed... if I must go there, that's what I still get, even thought he meat patty is paper-thin.

Users who are viewing this thread