What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official LA Dodgers Thread *** (1 Viewer)

This_Guy

Footballguy
I thought there was a Dodger thread but nothing came up in my search. So...

What a wild day and I don't think they are done. Hate to see Gordon go after the year he had. At the very least they should be better defensively with Rollins and Kendrick over Ramirez and Gordon.

Seeing rumblings of Brandon McCarthy and Cole Hammels. Talk that Kemp will be the OF sent packing.

Now I just want to see what they do about the bullpen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations of your 88-74 season. How do you feel about the moves your team has made to defend their championship?

Yeah, he's at most games. Usually in the owners box and on the field before games. Not sure how he is still alive.

It's rare to have a 94 win team with this much roster turnover. Assuming Pederson ends up in CF, the entire up the middle defense has been replaced since their playoff exit. The back end of their rotation has different arms as well. McCarthy and Anderson can be effective if healthy but that hasn't been their history.

I suppose they got a bit younger although Jimmy Rollins will be their oldest starter. They still have too many OF and too much Juan Uribe. They'll be formidable though unless the wheels fall off.

It's rare to have a 94 win team with this much roster turnover. Assuming Pederson ends up in CF, the entire up the middle defense has been replaced since their playoff exit. The back end of their rotation has different arms as well. McCarthy and Anderson can be effective if healthy but that hasn't been their history.

I suppose they got a bit younger although Jimmy Rollins will be their oldest starter. They still have too many OF and too much Juan Uribe. They'll be formidable though unless the wheels fall off.
Uribe's been great the last two years with LA. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The OF "logjam" is simply them being stuck with Ethier's albatross contract. Getting rid of Kemp was a good start, Ethier's going to be even tougher.

The Dodgers might end up being happy they have Ethier. Before we annoint Joc the rookie of the year, let's not forget that he struck out 149 times in 553 at-bats last year. How often does a K rate of higher than 25 % translate to success in the major leagues? The PCL is notorious for inflating stats. There is a better chance he ends up Karim Garcia, Billy Ashley, Jerry Sands, Andrew Lambo...the list goes on. Hell, I remember when Joel Guzman was compared to Miguel Cabrera in some circles.

The Dodgers might end up being happy they have Ethier. Before we annoint Joc the rookie of the year, let's not forget that he struck out 149 times in 553 at-bats last year. How often does a K rate of higher than 25 % translate to success in the major leagues? The PCL is notorious for inflating stats. There is a better chance he ends up Karim Garcia, Billy Ashley, Jerry Sands, Andrew Lambo...the list goes on. Hell, I remember when Joel Guzman was compared to Miguel Cabrera in some circles.
He also walked a ton last year, and can field. I can't imagine Ethier being a better day-to-day option under any circumstances.

Certainly a lot of questions coming into the season for a team that finished last year with 94 wins.

I think they will keep Ethier a while. He wont be happy but he will still perform (at least as much as he can). Will be a good 4th outfielder and good insurance.

My biggest concern is the bullpen. It was what really hurt them last year. Jansen getting injured doesn't help.

Certainly a lot of questions coming into the season for a team that finished last year with 94 wins.

I think they will keep Ethier a while. He wont be happy but he will still perform (at least as much as he can). Will be a good 4th outfielder and good insurance.

My biggest concern is the bullpen. It was what really hurt them last year. Jansen getting injured doesn't help.
By design or because they can't unload him anywhere? I'm sure they'd rather have some of that money to spend elsewhere.

By design or because they can't unload him anywhere? I'm sure they'd rather have some of that money to spend elsewhere.
Unless someone made a real juicy offer I think they want to keep him. They really don't care about the money. They aren't holding back in other areas because money is tied up in Ethier.

They like that he is a veteran that can come in and play any of the OF spots if something doesn't work right. He has shown in the past that he won't pout even if he is unhappy with the situation. If they can keep him relatively happy he can be a solid bat off the bench and insurance if any of the OF question marks hit a bump in the road.

Unless someone made a real juicy offer I think they want to keep him. They really don't care about the money. They aren't holding back in other areas because money is tied up in Ethier.

They like that he is a veteran that can come in and play any of the OF spots if something doesn't work right. He has shown in the past that he won't pout even if he is unhappy with the situation. If they can keep him relatively happy he can be a solid bat off the bench and insurance if any of the OF question marks hit a bump in the road.
I don't want to be that guy trolling the Dodger thread but that's a pretty revisionist take on Ethier. It was a terrible extension by the new ownership group shortly after they took over the club. It was an extension that didn't need to be done and now they're stuck with him to the tune of $56M total.

Ethier was 30 when the deal was signed and already showing some signs of decline. He had been a consistent contributor but never a star. He had pronounced platoon splits even in his most productive years and is pretty much unusable now against lefties. His best case scenario now is probably around 2 WAR. To his credit, he hasn't complained about it or tried to force his way out of town. Not that it would have helped because it's one of the most untradeable contracts in the majors.

Certainly a lot of questions coming into the season for a team that finished last year with 94 wins. I think they will keep Ethier a while. He wont be happy but he will still perform (at least as much as he can). Will be a good 4th outfielder and good insurance. My biggest concern is the bullpen. It was what really hurt them last year. Jansen getting injured doesn't help.
Unless someone made a real juicy offer I think they want to keep him. They really don't care about the money. They aren't holding back in other areas because money is tied up in Ethier. They like that he is a veteran that can come in and play any of the OF spots if something doesn't work right. He has shown in the past that he won't pout even if he is unhappy with the situation. If they can keep him relatively happy he can be a solid bat off the bench and insurance if any of the OF question marks hit a bump in the road.
I don't want to be that guy trolling the Dodger thread but that's a pretty revisionist take on Ethier. It was a terrible extension by the new ownership group shortly after they took over the club. It was an extension that didn't need to be done and now they're stuck with him to the tune of $56M total.Ethier was 30 when the deal was signed and already showing some signs of decline. He had been a consistent contributor but never a star. He had pronounced platoon splits even in his most productive years and is pretty much unusable now against lefties. His best case scenario now is probably around 2 WAR. To his credit, he hasn't complained about it or tried to force his way out of town. Not that it would have helped because it's one of the most untradeable contracts in the majors.
Pretty much agree with all of this. I think This_Guy's take is the way you rationalize Either's continued presence on the club due to his deal, but give the Dodger FO truth serum and I don't think the phrase "we want to keep Either" would ever be uttered. They'd trade him straight up for Scott Elbert at this point.

I don't want to be that guy trolling the Dodger thread but that's a pretty revisionist take on Ethier. It was a terrible extension by the new ownership group shortly after they took over the club. It was an extension that didn't need to be done and now they're stuck with him to the tune of $56M total.

Ethier was 30 when the deal was signed and already showing some signs of decline. He had been a consistent contributor but never a star. He had pronounced platoon splits even in his most productive years and is pretty much unusable now against lefties. His best case scenario now is probably around 2 WAR. To his credit, he hasn't complained about it or tried to force his way out of town. Not that it would have helped because it's one of the most untradeable contracts in the majors.
I'm looking forward here. Of course they don't like the deal in retrospect. I'm not saying they are happy with what they've got. But moving forward they would prefer to have him then trade him for nothing.

Any contract is tradeable. Teams giving up a guy agree to pay most of that guys contract when they ship him out in many cases. If the Dodgers didn't want Ethier they could move him. But having him is more valuable then getting rid of him.

I'm looking forward here. Of course they don't like the deal in retrospect. I'm not saying they are happy with what they've got. But moving forward they would prefer to have him then trade him for nothing.

Any contract is tradeable. Teams giving up a guy agree to pay most of that guys contract when they ship him out in many cases. If the Dodgers didn't want Ethier they could move him. But having him is more valuable then getting rid of him.
Andre Ethier, who was the odd man out for most of the second half of 2014, said he would prefer to play elsewhere if there isn't an everyday job open for him on the Dodgers.

"You're not wishing for it ever to end, but sometimes that opportunity takes you somewhere else," Ethier said. "I'm not going to do anything to sit here and force it. Hopefully it works itself out."

"I want the opportunity to play every day. My mind hasn't changed from when I told you guys that a couple months ago," Ethier said. "I felt like when I get a chance to play every day, I put up the numbers they ask of me. For some strange reason, it just happened that coming off a good 2012 season, in 2013 they took games away. You start to wonder why that happened. I feel like if I get a good full year in and get the at-bats, it starts to add up. It's tough when you get 300 at-bats and you're expected to hit 15 or 20 home runs."

Andre Ethier, who was the odd man out for most of the second half of 2014, said he would prefer to play elsewhere if there isn't an everyday job open for him on the Dodgers.

"You're not wishing for it ever to end, but sometimes that opportunity takes you somewhere else," Ethier said. "I'm not going to do anything to sit here and force it. Hopefully it works itself out."

"I want the opportunity to play every day. My mind hasn't changed from when I told you guys that a couple months ago," Ethier said. "I felt like when I get a chance to play every day, I put up the numbers they ask of me. For some strange reason, it just happened that coming off a good 2012 season, in 2013 they took games away. You start to wonder why that happened. I feel like if I get a good full year in and get the at-bats, it starts to add up. It's tough when you get 300 at-bats and you're expected to hit 15 or 20 home runs."
I just think that is being honest. I have no doubt he wants to play everyday. I just don't think it is likely and I don't think there is any incentive for the Dodgers to trade him.

I just think that is being honest. I have no doubt he wants to play everyday. I just don't think it is likely and I don't think there is any incentive for the Dodgers to trade him.
Except for the fact that he makes a ton of money and isn't very good anymore?

It's amazing that X ever existed amongst a lot of, let's be frank here, crummy bands.

I saw a report that LA's willing to eat half of Ethier's salary.

It's amazing that X ever existed amongst a lot of, let's be frank here, crummy bands.

The Circle Jerks probably weren't trying to make records to be enjoyed 35 years later :shrug:

I'd rather pay 3/$28M to Glenn Danzig than Andre Ethier

The Circle Jerks probably weren't trying to make records to be enjoyed 35 years later :shrug:

I don't think I've ever made it all the way through a Black Flag album.
Mrs. Eephus dragged me to see CH3 and The Crowd last weekend. Seeing old punks perform as middle agers is a hoot.

I don't think I've ever made it all the way through a Black Flag album.
Black Flag really weren't that good

Outside of X, I don't think any of the West Coast hardcore bands c.77-85 made great records. Well, maybe Flipper but that's just me. But the live shows were always fun.

ETA: using the Dodgers thread to discuss old punk bands is good schtick

Last edited by a moderator:
Outside of X, I don't think any of the West Coast hardcore bands c.77-85 made great records. Well, maybe Flipper but that's just me. But the live shows were always fun.

Some of those bands just never go away. Not much different from Styx, etc. working the county fair circuit. Sad.

Some of those bands just never go away. Not much different from Styx, etc. working the county fair circuit. Sad.
it's musicians performing music. That's what they do and what they've been doing for more than half their lives. If there's enough of an audience to pay for the van and the hotel, good for them.

Eephus said:
Good Posting Judge said:

it's musicians performing music. That's what they do and what they've been doing for more than half their lives. If there's enough of an audience to pay for the van and the hotel, good for them.
It's musicians performing their old music, which doesn't amount to much more than fan service.

Sleater-Kinney coming out of hiatus and putting out a new record and basically picking up where they left off is certainly interesting to me, much less so some band that's playing their classic album from 30 years ago front to back.

Eephus said:
"Good said:

It's musicians performing their old music, which doesn't amount to much more than fan service.

Sleater-Kinney coming out of hiatus and putting out a new record and basically picking up where they left off is certainly interesting to me, much less so some band that's playing their classic album from 30 years ago front to back.
I'm seeing Elvis this summer & I hope its mainly '77-82.

Group Sex was one of the front-to-back best punk albums ever. :shrug:

Black Flag wasn't really that good.

And Dusty Baker. Yeah, Dusty Baker.

Nice to see Jimmy Rollins break into LA in a big way.....

...not nice to see that they have the same bullpen problems

All these shifts make it hard for me to anticipate which side of the TV screen the fielder will emerge from to make the play. They don't really shift for Joc, they just shade.

Users who are viewing this thread