What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

'Way Too Early' fantasy football sleepers & busts for 2015 (1 Viewer)

Calling Bradshaw a bust for next year seems kinda dumb. I mean does anyone expect him coming off surgery going into next year to really be a big contributor?

I don't see Bradshaw and Forsett being busts next year because I doubt either team brings them back with the expectation of starting

I agree that DeMarco Murray will be a bust. I don't think he'll suddenly become worthless, but I think it will be a similar drop-off to what we saw in McCoy this year. He's logged 351 carries so far this year...that's more than anyone last season, and exactly what Foster had in all of 2012. And he still has two games to play. That amount of mileage is going to take its toll.

I agree with the author's colleagues on Turbin vs. Michael IF Lynch leaves. Everyone seems very high on Michael due to his alleged explosiveness, but Turbin looks like a solid, well-rounded football player that just needs an opportunity.

I think Molly Qerim qualifies as a sleeper and a bust.......hello there

sleeper.....Latimer.....when Welker and probably Julius leave....

busts....(Qerim) and Gio will still probably get drafted higher than he should......

I took issue with many of those mentioned in the 4 experts' Top 10 Bust lists. Many were already busts and thus were safe bust picks.

Brandon Marshall -- Already busted this year. Not sure where they are going with that one.

Ryan Mathews -- Another bust, pretty much every year. No bold prediction there. Almost nowhere to go but up.

DeMarco Murray -- Almost nowhere to go but down. So even if he produces he's going to be considered a bust unless he can equal or surpass this year's production.

Justin Forsett -- He exceeded expectations tremendously. Granted ADP-wise next year he might "bust" but I don't know why expectations should fall unless we're looking at age and opportunity. And yes he's around 30 but doesn't have much mileage. So only opportunity in terms of competition or change of coaching philosophy would hurt him you'd think.

Fitz -- Already busted.

Reggie Bush -- Already busted.

Kaep - Already busted.

PHI D -- D/STs don't carry over year to year that well anyway.

Sleepers:

Justin Blackmon

CJ Spiller

Donte Moncrief (maybe not a sleeper anymore)

Jarvis Landry(also maybe not a sleeper)

Marquess Wilson

Busts:

Martavis Bryant

Johnny Manziel

Dan Herron

Christine Michael

Latavius Murray

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see Foster hasn't lost his yearly role on everyone's bust list. That just means I'll get him late again next year.

Was trying to think if any QBs are likely to be undervalued next year, and I can't think of one. Not to say there won't be one, just that whoever it is will probably come out of nowhere. Foles return? Cam (Kaep?) finds his old form? One of the young QBs (Bortles? Manziell?) fulfills his promise? Mariotta/Winston takes the league by storm?

The one I could possibly see is Wilson making the leap into elite passer, as opposed to fantasy stud based on solid passing numbers + running. But even that is unlikely, I think. As long as they have that D, Seattle's going to remain conservative on offense.

Was trying to think if any QBs are likely to be undervalued next year, and I can't think of one. Not to say there won't be one, just that whoever it is will probably come out of nowhere. Foles return? Cam (Kaep?) finds his old form? One of the young QBs (Bortles? Manziell?) fulfills his promise? Mariotta/Winston takes the league by storm?

The one I could possibly see is Wilson making the leap into elite passer, as opposed to fantasy stud based on solid passing numbers + running. But even that is unlikely, I think. As long as they have that D, Seattle's going to remain conservative on offense.
Teddy Bridgewater perhaps? He has quietly turned in a good rookie season despite losing his top running back, top TE for part of the season, and the disappearance of Cordarelle Patterson.

BOOMS:

QB: Matt Ryan (skeptics from this season may overlook a healthier O-Line next season)

WR: Odell Beckham Junior (high pick but top 5)

RB: Jerrick McKinnon (deep sleeper)

TE: Ladarius Green (One year removed from the big break season apparently)

Rookie with Impact Potential: Amari Cooper (not quite the spectacle of Watkins, but should be dependable with reasonable upside)

Living on a Prayer Pick: Cordarelle Patterson (Talent may finally become more refined with new focus)

BUSTS:

QB: Peyton Manning (if he comes back, his age and weapons lost will catch him. QB1 but on the low end)

WR: AJ Green (Distrust in Dalton may lead to offseason controversy and collapse)

RB: Demarco Murray (it's either him or Dez leaving most likely, I'd guess he underachieves in a new system)

TE: Greg Olson (for maybe the 4-5 TE off he'll be a disappointment when Panthers sign Murray and utilize a block heavy approach?)

Rookie with Disappointing Results: Mariota (who in that top 3-5 will put him in a good situation?)

Living on a Satanic Curse Pick: LeVeon Bell (probably #1 overall, but they'll throw far more with that aging defense)

Glad to see Foster hasn't lost his yearly role on everyone's bust list. That just means I'll get him late again next year.
latest i saw him go was the early 3rd. he was late first in plenty of drafts. i would expect the same next draft. his points per game is just way too enticing.

I expect Cam to be undervalued. In a year where just about everything's gone wrong for him, he's still 10th in FP/G in standard FBG scoring. He had a huge game right before the car crash and looked like he might finish the season strong. If he plays again this year he probably won't play that well, but that will only make him more affordable next season.

I assume he'll be drafted like a fringe starter next season with a very good chance to get back to top 5 status.

busts

Randall Cobb if/ when he leaves GB Next season.

Gio

Murray

Forsett

R. Jennings the man who hasnt been able to stay healthy

V. Cruz

sleepers

Amari Cooper - he's the real deal he'll be another K. Benjamin or ODB

Khiry Robinson - if the Saints dont pay Ingram and let him walk, do they give Robinson the chance to be the guy? I think they do..

Carlos Hyde - Im no Hyde fan but the writing is on the wall in that the Niners will have a new coaching staff next season and Gore will probaby be cut, leaving Hyde as the starting RB. with a solid offensive line and perhaps a new QB the Niners offense might be a potent unit.it all depends on the new coaching staff.

D. Moncrief

BOOMS:

QB: Matt Ryan (skeptics from this season may overlook a healthier O-Line next season)

WR: Odell Beckham Junior (high pick but top 5)

RB: Jerrick McKinnon (deep sleeper)

TE: Ladarius Green (One year removed from the big break season apparently)

Rookie with Impact Potential: Amari Cooper (not quite the spectacle of Watkins, but should be dependable with reasonable upside)

Living on a Prayer Pick: Cordarelle Patterson (Talent may finally become more refined with new focus)

BUSTS:

QB: Peyton Manning (if he comes back, his age and weapons lost will catch him. QB1 but on the low end)

WR: AJ Green (Distrust in Dalton may lead to offseason controversy and collapse)

RB: Demarco Murray (it's either him or Dez leaving most likely, I'd guess he underachieves in a new system)

TE: Greg Olson (for maybe the 4-5 TE off he'll be a disappointment when Panthers sign Murray and utilize a block heavy approach?)

Rookie with Disappointing Results: Mariota (who in that top 3-5 will put him in a good situation?)

Living on a Satanic Curse Pick: LeVeon Bell (probably #1 overall, but they'll throw far more with that aging defense)
Bell might be a bust next year due to a suspension or bringing in another back, but he won't be a bust because they pass too much. He has 72 receptions this year for 765 yards.

I feel that C.J. Anderson will be a bust if they don't bring someone in to be the starter. Same thing will happen to him that happened with Ball this year. I don't trust these guys because I feel their value comes from Manning, not their innate talent.

So we are guessing for next years sleepers and busts before this season is even over?

Seems like this thread will provide usefulness.

I feel that C.J. Anderson will be a bust if they don't bring someone in to be the starter. Same thing will happen to him that happened with Ball this year. I don't trust these guys because I feel their value comes from Manning, not their innate talent.
Obviously a lot of their value comes from Manning, but Anderson has shown more ability the last few weeks than Ball ever has.

I think the concern with Anderson is that a lot of his value has come through a heavy workload. He's had 109 carries the past 4 games, in large part because his backups are injured. They won't run him into the ground like that over a full season when they have other options.

Tough to say at this point, but here are 10 guys I like to potentially emerge and/or exceed expectations next year:

-Tyler Eifert- I am convinced he would have had a big year had he not been injured. Lots of talent and a sneaky good situation as teams have to respect both the deep ball (AJ Green) and the running game (Hill and Bernard) which leaves a lot of room for a talented secondary target.

-Khiry Robinson-Assuming Ingram leaves (who knows?) and the Saints don't pick a RB early, that's a pretty prime situation and Khiry shows flashes. Keep an eye on Nick Toon at WR down in NO also. He is in a similar situation to Robinson as a little used guy now who could earn a much bigger role going forward as the Saints big WR as Colston ages.

-Percy Harvin- The guy is more talented than he has been able to show due to health and system limitations. I will bet on talent to find a way to show out with a new coaching staff.

-Tre Mason- I think he ends up being the 2nd year back that emerges as a top 5-10 overall fantasy RB next year. Any upgrades to the OL and QB in St. Louis will only help him and that young defense looks fantastic. Figure their game scripts end up quite a bit like Seattle's have the last few years with lots of running plays.

-Cam Newton- The OL has been an absolute joke this year and you have to figure it is much improved next season. There's nowhere to go but up. Decent chance that Carolina adds another weapon to go along with Benjamin, Olsen and the current group. If his ankle gets healthy and the line improves, he should be right back up there with the elite fantasy QBs.

-Cordarrelle Patterson- I've never been a big Patterson guy and he was a huge bust this year. But I think there's a chance that after being humbled like he was, he finally puts in the hard work of becoming a real WR.

-Cody Latimer- Gut feeling is that Julius Thomas won't be back and Welker almost certainly won't be back. That opens up an opportunity for Latimer to be the 3rd option in the ridiculous Broncos passing game. He's going to be a red zone monster when he gets his chance.

-Donte Moncrief- Mentioned by others, but he has a chance to be the clearcut #2 in Indy which should be fantasy gold.

-Jerick McKinnon- Mentioned by others, but assuming Minny releases ADP he should have the chance to grab hold of that starting job. A good candidate to make a big leap from year 1 to year 2.

-Adrian Peterson- Many assume he is done, but he is too talented to not find a home next year. Put him on a team like Atlanta with a potent passing game and he is right back to being a top 5-10 back.

-Tre Mason- I think he ends up being the 2nd year back that emerges as a top 5-10 overall fantasy RB next year. Any upgrades to the OL and QB in St. Louis will only help him and that young defense looks fantastic. Figure their game scripts end up quite a bit like Seattle's have the last few years with lots of running plays.
Why are you so high on Mason? I have the chance to hold onto him in a keeper league, and I just haven't bought into the hype. What am I missing?

Why are you so high on Mason? I have the chance to hold onto him in a keeper league, and I just haven't bought into the hype. What am I missing?
Everything is there. Great defense to keep them in games, good offensive line, lack of big time play makers at the wide receiver spot, and no great quarterback so they will rely more on running the ball.

Everything is there. Great defense to keep them in games, good offensive line, lack of big time play makers at the wide receiver spot, and no great quarterback so they will rely more on running the ball.
This makes me worry that opposing defenses will play the run and dare Bradford/Hill/Davis/Tony Banks/Some Guy off the Street to beat them through the air.

IheartGuinness said:
msudaisy26 said:
IheartGuinness said:
Dan Hindery said:
This makes me worry that opposing defenses will play the run and dare Bradford/Hill/Davis/Tony Banks/Some Guy off the Street to beat them through the air.
Teams do it to the Chiefs all the time, Charles and Davis have run all over teams. Jamal Lewis did it for the Ravens, Lynch has done it for a few years, although I wouldn't count this year because Wilson has taken a massive step forward.

Deep Sleeper (blurb from Rotoworld):

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett considers second-year WR Brandon Coleman a player to keep an eye on for 2015.

A 2014 undrafted free agent out of Rutgers, Coleman stands in at a towering 6-foot-6, 225 pounds. He ran a competent 4.56 40-yard dash at last year's Combine, and caught five passes for 50 yards last preseason. With the Saints passing on drafting a receiver, the depth chart is wide open behind Brandin Cooks and Marques Colston.

Source: ESPN.com
May 4 - 3:02 PM
ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett believes receivers Nick Toon, Seantavius Jones and Brandon Coleman should be "on your radar screen."

Amazingly, the Saints didn't draft a receiver after trading away Jimmy Graham and Kenny Stills, leaving Toon as the de facto No. 3. Jones and Coleman are 2014 undrafted free agents who spent the year on the practice squad before late season cups of coffee. Triplett believes they will be legitimate competitors for New Orleans' Nos. 4 and 5 jobs. Coleman is a mountainous 6-foot-6, while Jones stands in at 6-foot-3, 200 pounds. He clocked a 4.53 40 at his Pro Day, and posted a 3/17/1 receiving line last preseason.

Related: Nick Toon, Brandon Coleman

Source: ESPN.com
May 4 - 2:50 PM
Excerpts from the linked article:

Jones and Coleman both signed with the Saints as undrafted free agents following last year’s draft -- Jones, a 6-foot-3, 200-pounder from Valdosta State and Coleman a hard-to-miss, 6-6, 225-pounder from Rutgers.

Coleman got more attention last summer because of his size and because he was more well-known in the pre-draft process. He struggled with drops early in camp but bounced back nicely. Jones, meanwhile, slipped a little further under the radar. But both players made the practice squad, and Jones actually got promoted to the active roster first (in Week 15) before Coleman joined him in Week 17. Neither appeared in a game, though.

Payton referenced Jones and Coleman three times Saturday during a lengthy answer on his confidence in the current receiving corps, at one point saying, “I think we’re going to hear a lot of good things from Seantavius Jones and Brandon Coleman.”
Payton also singled out Toon, a fourth-year pro who finally started to make an impact last year after the early part of his career was plagued by injuries, inconsistency and lack of opportunity above all else.

“We think Nick Toon’s developing. A lot of the snaps last year toward the end of the year we started seeing him make some plays. He’s a tremendous worker who’s got size,” Payton said of the 6-4, 218-pounder, who didn’t catch a pass until Week 12 but finished with 17 catches for 215 yards and a touchdown over the final six games.

Charles Simms. Martin didn't get extended, and isn't in the teams long term plans.

Charles Simms. Martin didn't get extended, and isn't in the teams long term plans.
Good call.

Rotoworld:

Pewter Report says the Bucs want to feature Charles Sims this season.

Pewter Report is one of the best team blogs out there. "Still think Doug Martin may not play a down in Tampa this year and may get traded prior to the season," they tweeted Monday in the wake of Martin's fifth-year option getting declined. It's clear the Lovie Smith regime is understandably low on Muscle Hamster and high on its hand-picked man in Sims. But they have plenty of cap room and Sims has the look of a change-of-pace/passing-down back right now. It's a situation to track this offseason, especially with the Bucs improving their run-game outlook by adding two offensive linemen in the second round of the draft.

Source: Pewter Report on Twitter
May 4 - 9:42 AM

Rotoworld:

Cardinals in-house reporter Darren Urban says the team was already "counting" on a breakout from second-year TE Troy Niklas before John Carlson's surprise retirement on Tuesday.

Coming off an injury-ruined rookie year, the 2014 second-rounder finds himself atop the depth chart alongside Darren Fells. Carlson's retirement does little for Niklas' fantasy stock, as he's a heavy-footed possession receiver in the Anthony Fasano mold. Bruce Arians' tight ends aren't counted on to make plays with the football.

Source: Darren Urban on Twitter
May 5 - 2:12 PM

Users who are viewing this thread